Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

Best of luck with your 2013 reads VF mate, hope you have some crackers.

As for ratings, I've changed mine to out of ten this year, for the first time, as I've found that I can give 5/5 to different books but one will be miles better than the other. I'm hoping my new rating system gives me a better chance of differentiating between my levels of enjoyment with different books.

Edit: 5,000th post, woo. :alc:

Edited by Ben

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Later edit: Just been to bobblybear's 2013 blog - I see he's just started with these gradings, having seen them on my blog, so that explains why I haven't spotted them before. Hope they work for you too!

I think it makes it far easier than rating out of 10. Rating out of 6 is quite unusual, but actually makes sense when I saw your explanation of it somewhere. :smile: BTW, I'm a she. :smile:

I think it makes it far easier than rating out of 10. Rating out of 6 is quite unusual, but actually makes sense when I saw your explanation of it somewhere. :smile: BTW, I'm a she. :smile:

Oops, sorry! Subconsciously fooled by your avatar I suspect! I tried 10 too to start with, and found it got too inconsistent, with too many fine divisions. The secret is not to fall into the Amazon trap, where reviewers seems to give 5 stars at the drop of a hat. Edited by willoyd

he secret is not to fall into the Amazon trap, where reviewers seems to give 5 stars at the drop of a hat.

I think I did that this year, where I'm sure I gave loads of books 10/10. It's very easy to be blown away by a book, write an immediate review and give it full points, rather than stew on it for a while. I'm going to try to be a bit more critical in 2013, and perhaps make notes as I'm reading them. I've just realised that the majority of books I've given a 10/10 aren't necessarily ones I would re-read, and I'm a big re-reader, which makes me think that perhaps they should have been given a lower score. :hide:

The Book Thief Markus Zusak

Flowers For Algernon Daniel Keyes

Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck

Murder On The Orient Express Agatha Christie

Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote

The Eyre Affair Jasper Fforde

There are all great reads, especially The Eyre Affair and The Book Thief. I hope you will enjoy them all :smile2:

Mother Tongue Bill Bryson

Rebecca Daphne Du Maurier

I have these two on my TBR as well, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who hasn't read Rebecca so far :blush:

Battle Royale Koushun Takami

Rivers Of London Ben Aaronovitch

I'm very jealous of these :D The Aaronovitch book is supposed to be really good, a lot of people on here have raved about it :)

I have pinched this from bobblybear's 2013 book list it seems a good simple rating system and I don't use any at the moment..

1/6: I didn't like it

2/6: It was okay

3/6: I liked it

4/6: I really liked it

5/6: It was amazing

6/6: Simply outstanding - on my 'best of all time' list

By the looks of it it's like the 1-5/5 system that's on Goodreads as well, with the addition of a 6/6 for a book that's really, really extra special. This is something I've been looking for, I'd love to adopt the system. I'd give 6/6 to the books that I want to definitely own and re-read in the future and that I would heartily recommend to people....

Anyhow, have a great reading year 2013! :D

Some great books there VF, have a great 2013! :)

If I could steal anyone's TBR pile, it would be yours! You have some fantastic books on there, I'm exited for you :D

I do seem to have lined up some good ones don't I? It is cheering to get the thumbs up from you !

I have these two on my TBR as well, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who hasn't read Rebecca so far :blush:

Let me know when you want to start Rebecca Frankie, we could try to read it together like we did with Self-Made Man

Let me know when you want to start Rebecca Frankie, we could try to read it together like we did with Self-Made Man

Except for when I only started reading the book, I never made it past 30 or so pages :blush: I think Ruth (?) read it at the same time, too, so you weren't completely alone, though :)

But sounds good otherwise, it's not a very high priority for me at the moment because I have a whole load of other books I need to read asap, but maybe now that you've planted the idea in my head I'll come round to it sooner! :D

The Circuit

Bob Shepherd 3/6

This is a non-fiction insider book on a small shadowy world most of us don't know about, the international commercial security circuit- simply called The Circuit by its members. To you and me that means private bodyguards for VIPs .

This used to be a very small community of skilled men usually ex-elite military forces or police policemen. The author retired after 20 years in the SAS and took up this work as an easy number.

But then 9/11 changed everything.

The author found himself protecting diplomats and journalists in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and Saudi Arabia and in far more dangerous situations than in his army career.

In 10 years he saw the true situation in these countries being hidden from the public in the west, and as the military and political situation deteriorated the industry he was in blossomed into a boom money making venture for trigger happy cowboys with no skills at all, some of them merely nightclub bouncers attracted by the money and glamour.

It is a completely unregulated industry with governments and private security companies conspiring together to keep quiet the number of advisors and their clients (usually workers on reconstruction contracts) who are killed or simply disappear every year; not to mention the irreparable damage being done to civilians .

This was quite a shocking and eye-opening book. Most of it is about Afghanistan and Iraq. Because of mistakes made right at the beginning , "The War On Terror" is actually unwinnable in any military sense. The attitude of the US military is shown to be awful. At any rate using soldiers as a police force is never a good idea. And then employing bouncers with guns to take over a lot of their tasks is an even worse one . After throwing away bilions and billions of dollars the plight of the civilian populations is worse than it was before.

The book is not really about that however, the author doesn't make political judgements and just sticks to his main beef about the state of the industry. The end of the book is a rant. You could tell he had had enough.

It was a good read so 3/6 , but ultimately a bit depressing to think of what is happening..

Edited by vodkafan

I read The Circuit a few years ago and it does offer a unique insight into a world that goes unseen by most of us. It was refreshing to read something critical written by someone inside the system rather than a journalist outside who doesn't appreciate the complexity of the job. I found his time in Palestine the most interesting part of the book.

Four To Score (Stephanie Plum #4)

Janet Evanovitch 4/6

Stephanie Plum is still learning how to be a bounty hunter in her corner of New Jersey. She doesn't like guns so usually leaves her piece in the cookie jar in her kitchen along with her hamster Rex and just wings it. Disaster usually follows. Once again a simple case of bringing in a minor felon gets complicated and chaos and mayhem follow in our heroine's wake, not to mention a romantic entanglement with Joe Morelli the cop, the one man she cannot allow herself to get near!

I gave this a 4 because the format is still fresh for me even after 3 books, there are some new characters and the situations are still very funny. The writing is also very slick , you just get carried from page to page so a very quick read which rests the brain cells. A great series to read when you want something entertaining but not hard work.

I read The Circuit a few years ago and it does offer a unique insight into a world that goes unseen by most of us. It was refreshing to read something critical written by someone inside the system rather than a journalist outside who doesn't appreciate the complexity of the job. I found his time in Palestine the most interesting part of the book.

Hi Brian I was thinking of you when I wrote the review, wondering if you had read it. It seemed up your street. Are you ex military?

Hi Brian I was thinking of you when I wrote the review, wondering if you had read it. It seemed up your street. Are you ex military?

No I'm not :D

I read military memoirs almost exclusively during my early teens and that is something which has carried over to me being a grown up of sorts. I still read 3-4 each year but now I look for something a bit different that the usual soldier's story.

Are the Stephanie Plum books YA fiction ? Just wondering if my 13 yr old would like them, i'm always looking for books to broaden her reading choices as she's hooked on vampire books at the moment.

The Book Thief gets the a big thumbs from me as well. Hope you like it VF :smile:

Are the Stephanie Plum books YA fiction ?

I'd like to know too, please.

I've seen that title around quite a few times, and was wondering about it.

And the first day of the year, and you're done with two books! You're efficient vodkafan!