Ron Rash

muggle not

Ron Rash is being compared to John Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy. Now, that is very high praise and, in my opinion, undoubtedly a praise not achievable. However, I have been reading about him and am intriqued with his writing. His latest book is titled "Cove". His previous book was "Serena" which is being made into a major motion picture. As soon as I finish my read of Karin Slaughter I will read the Cove. I have hopes that it is of the caliber of "Cold Mountain" from the author Charles Frazier, a book that I really enjoyed. The following is from Harper-Collins:

The New York Times bestselling author of Serena returns to Appalachia, this time at the height of World War I, with the story of a blazing but doomed love affair caught in the turmoil of a nation at war

Deep in the rugged Appalachians of North Carolina lies the cove, a dark, forbidding place where spirits and fetches wander, and even the light fears to travel. Or so the townsfolk of Mars Hill believe--just as they know that Laurel Shelton, the lonely young woman who lives within its shadows, is a witch. Alone except for her brother, Hank, newly returned from the trenches of France, she aches for her life to begin.

Then it happens--a stranger appears, carrying nothing but a beautiful silver flute and a note explaining that his name is Walter, he is mute, and is bound for New York. Laurel finds him in the woods, nearly stung to death by yellow jackets, and nurses him back to health. As the days pass, Walter slips easily into life in the cove and into Laurel's heart, bringing her the only real happiness she has ever known.

But Walter harbors a secret that could destroy everything--and danger is closer than they know. Though the war in Europe is near its end, patriotic fervor flourishes thanks to the likes of Chauncey Feith, an ambitious young army recruiter who stokes fear and outrage throughout the county. In a time of uncertainty, when fear and ignorance reign, Laurel and Walter will discover that love may not be enough to protect them.

This lyrical, heart-rending tale, as mesmerizing as its award-winning predecessor Serena, shows once again this masterful novelist at the height of his powers.

That seems like an interesting read. I've never heard of the author, but there must be a reason for him being compared to Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy, I would think.

I think the reason for comparing him to Steinbeck and McCarthy is simply to sell books. :) However, I will start reading the Cove sometime this week and then determine how good an author he is, IMHO. The Cove is a fairly short book I believe where Serena is more of an epic type book. I will read Cove first and then tackle Serena.

I've never even heard of the author. I shall tell Kylie about this, she quite likes John Steinbeck :)

The following is a review from the New Yorker of Rash's previous book, Serena, that is being made into a major movie:

From The New Yorker

Set in 1929, in the rugged mountains of North Carolina, Rash's novel is a tightly knit tale of industrial development, greed, and betrayal. George Pemberton and his new bride, Serena, maintain a close watch over a burgeoning logging empire, dealing with their workers while fighting off the efforts of environmental activists to expand the country's network of national parks. As the title character, a Depression-era Lady Macbeth wholly comfortable in the wilderness drives her husband to commit increasingly malevolent acts, he must also contend with the reemergence of a woman with whom he had an illegitimate child years earlier. Rash's evocative rendering of the blighted landscape and the tough characters who inhabit it recalls both John Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy, while the malignant character of Serena, who projects a stark unflinching certainty about her actions, propels his finely paced story.

I finished reading "The Cove". It definitely brings to mind the writing of Steinbeck and, especially, Cormac McCarthy. The Cove was a fairly short story but was very enjoyable. His use of words made the book interesting to read. I am glad I read the book and will continue reading this author. I have started Serena which was his big hit and is being made into a major motion picture. I have high hopes for this book as, so far, the reading has been great.

I recommend The Cove if for no other reason as for the style of writing which was very good, reminiscent of Steinbeck and McCarthy.