The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin

Maureen

ISBN 0-7553-3063-3

The book goes back and forth between two seperate, yet interlinked stories - One set in 1819, about Stephen a veteran of Waterloo, and his life after he returned from Spain and the other about a young teenanger named Anna, in 1976, who is sent to her estranged uncle while her mother went to Spain. As the second story unfolds, the first one is given life - as Anna unravels Stephen's secrets, his loves, his mistakes, desires and pain.

I have just finished this lovely book, and at times I felt I could see Anna as she set about discovering herself and her past. The author portayed both stories through the main character's eyes, and both were given equal importance and life. I could feel the emotions as I turned the pages, and could not help myself wishing for a positive ending(s).

I enjoyed the book tremendously, and would recommend it.

Sorry guys, but can we stick to discussing the actual books in the review threads. Many thanks! :)

;)

The book sounds good but I'm not sure if I'll ever get round to reading it cuz my school library is - ahem - rather pathetic at requests. I asked for a book in year 7 and they still haven't got it! LOL. I've kinda given up now:)