Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

I am totally lost without the Olympics or the 'limpids' as my totally irritating non sporty friend insists on calling it. There were so many exciting and great moments and thankfully i got to watch a lot of things I would never watch thanks to the internet and the red button.

I am ambivelant about the closing ceremony there were moments which I enjoyed but there were also moments where I got bored and switched of. The choice of music at times left me cold. I can't stand George Michael and thought he looked a complete idiot prancing around dressed as if he were about 20 years younger. I don't mind about the boy band stuff though the spice girls leave me totally cold, i just have to remember that most of the atheletes are in fact pushing 20 years younger than me and if they want to 'rock out' to that then its fine with me. The only bit that really jarred and I read quite a vitriolic article damming the whole show although I don't agree with a lot of it, it did highlight one section which I too thought was odd and slightly offensive and that was the celebration of british Fashion, why oh why having just spent over 2 weeks celebrating the achievements of hard working atheletes did they insist on showing large posters of men and women celebrating a body image none of us can ever hope to achieve in an industry which promotes size 0 and anorexia in increasingly younger and younger children. I just found that really odd and surreal.

There were many great moments, Jess Ennis, Mo Farrah, but for me the nest atmosphere was in the velodrome I was of my chair shouting regularly to get team GB to win even when they didn't the riders who won (and there were only a handful of non team GB) like Anna Mears did so because they deserved it.

Wiggo though for me still gets the personality of the year!

Edited by pickle

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just been awarded one more gold medal. :clapping: Valerie Adams, our shot put silver medalist, has received the gold after the Belarussian Nadzeya Ostapchuk was excluded from competition following a positive test for metenolone, an anabolic steroid.

Congratulations!!

I thought it was a pretty great Olympics.I love most sports and the Olympics are great to see athletes from all over the world compete, win or lose (although I don't think there are many losers, except for those that cheat).

I am with Pickle for the most part re the closing ceremony - it was right to make it a party, but the choice of music did practically nothing for me whatsoever - then again, most of my favourite artists I am almost ashamed to say, are either American or Icelandic.

As for the best moment - there are so many of them - watching the road races in such close proximity was definately one of them (and it has certainly put our small village on the map), but I think the one that I shall remember for British athletes is the 2 Brownlee brothers and their pnenomenal effort during the Triathtlon. Laura Trott was good too though, and of course Mo, and Vicky Pendleton, and Chris Hoy and Tom Daly. Tom and Laura are definately ones to watch for Rio.

Did it get you into a sport that you never thought you'd be interested in?

I've been an avid viewer of the Olympics since I was a kid, so I've seen most of the sports at some time or another, but the two things that I was totally hooked on this year that I never have been before were the men's gymnastics and the sailing.

Is there any particular memory that will stay with you (other than gold medal winners)?

So, so many!

Chris Hoy's mum trying to watch him race alternating between hiding behind her hand, a flag, glimpsing out then screaming out loud to cheer him on, then hiding again :lol:

Usain Bolt chatting to the girl looking after the kit of the athlete in the next lane before the start of the 200m :giggle2:

One of the NZ hockey players trying to tackle from the wrong side and getting smacked on the back of the head - ouch! Her blonde hair quickly had a large patch of red blood in it, but a few minutes later she was back on the pitch, her head completely swathed in elastoplast bandages and played for the remainder of the game. :clapping:

And a bit like your clip, Fran Halsall breaking down at the end of the interview with the rest of the relay team and Sharon Davies, and Sharon giving her a hug, but not being able to carry on talking to them as she was overcome as well. Heartbreaking. :cry:

I confess I (very surprisingly) now find telly very boring as there are no more Olympic events to watch! I've never watched the Paralympics, but I may well be tempted to watch some now as the come down after being on such a high for two weeks is absolutely crushing. I never thought I'd see the day when I was bored because of the lack of sport on TV - LOL!

Usain Bolt chatting to the girl looking after the kit of the athlete in the next lane before the start of the 200m :giggle2:

Yeah, I had a good laugh at that, too, and him doing the Mo-bot at the end of the relay :lol:

I completely forgot, one of my other favourite non-golden moments was the rower from Niger, finishing so long after everyone else, bless. Oh, and the 71 year-old Japanese guy competing in the dressage! Brilliant :D

It was the cyclists who came in last that got the biggest cheer from the crowds here too for the bike races.

I know what everyone means about rubbish TV though - everyone at work is saying the same thing - including the residents !

Super Saturday will always be a favourite memory .. also all the emotional stuff. I reckon I cried at least once a day watching it which makes it sound like an awful way to spend a fortnight but wasn't. Usain Bolt was always a highlight .. loved the way he put his baton out for the woman to collect and then snatched it away last minute and kept running .. he had to give it back eventually (boo!!) Mo Farah! .. everything about him makes me smile (and cry apparently) The Velodrome which was just the most brilliant venue .. it was so easy to go from nought to over excited in about thirty seconds there and that leads me onto Chris Hoy and Laura Trott in particular ... inspirational.

Didn't know anything about women's boxing or taekwondo but loved the smiles on the faces of Nicola and Jade .. what lovely girls (though don't mess with them obviously).

Chad's dad :D

Wiggo on the victory throne :)

Poor old Wenlock .. what will he do now? (loved him doing the Bolt .. would have liked to see him do a Mo-bot but tbh they hadn't thought his arms through properly :D) Hate to think of him lying crumpled in a dark cupboard .. empty :o It's a sad way to end a very short career .. it was only the sight of him leaping about in the background that stopped me from completely going to pieces during Mo's 5,000/10,000.

Crammy's commentary was a highlight and Clare was brilliant.

I'm bored nothing on the tv now :( So gutted that the olympics are finished, but roll on the start of the paralympics :)

I agree, I can't wait until the paralympics start. As for the closing ceremony, I thought most of it was brilliant (Take That and Eric Idle for example), but some of it I just thought was just weird (I thought that Russell Brand looked more like the child catcher from 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' than Willy Wonka.....whose idea was it to invite him!?)

Coran and I have managed to get tickets for the Paralympic Basketball at North Greenwich on August 31st - this is the event I most wanted to see, so I am really pleased and excited. Can't wait !

I really enjoyed the closing ceremony, except for the Spice Girls and One Direction. A lot of my favourite music is British (particularly from the 60s), so I was thrilled to see Ray Davies. No sign of the Stones or Bowie (apart from some clips)? I thought for sure they'd appear. I also thought Robbie Williams would be there. I guess he's not as popular anymore? But he has some great stadium songs and is well-known worldwide. I particularly loved the tributes to Lennon and Mercury, but it would have been nice if they'd left Mercury on the screen to sing the Queen song with his band. :)

I really enjoyed the closing ceremony, except for the Spice Girls and One Direction. A lot of my favourite music is British (particularly from the 60s), so I was thrilled to see Ray Davies. No sign of the Stones or Bowie (apart from some clips)? I thought for sure they'd appear. I also thought Robbie Williams would be there. I guess he's not as popular anymore? But he has some great stadium songs and is well-known worldwide. I particularly loved the tributes to Lennon and Mercury, but it would have been nice if they'd left Mercury on the screen to sing the Queen song with his band. :)

I believe the Stones turned it down and Bowie has more or less retired since his heart attack a few years back. Robbie Williams couldn't perform as his wife is imminently expecting .. that's how the reports go anyway. They also wanted Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols and Noel Gallagher but had to put up with what Noel called 'Stratford's finest Oasis tribute band' instead .. ouch! The Who turned it down too but were eventually persuaded.

Have to agree about Freddie and John .. I loved that part .. so moving. Didn't really like Jessie singing 'We Will Rock You' not because she's not competent but because she's not Freddie (however, Freddie would have sure liked to wear that outfit! :D) I liked that they used a lot of Beatles music but like you could have done without the Spice Girls and One Direction .. I do realise though that you can't have everything .. it was a lot better than I was expecting. Great to see Ray .. such a beautiful song too.

• 4 weeks later...

Corans video of the Olympic Road Cycling Races is finally complete and was uploaded to

earlier today. It is rather good even if I do say so myself - I would say that though as I am in it and did some of the interviews ! You can even see me if you look close enough ...