I wish...

Fev

...that when books were invented someone had had the foresight to standardise book cover layout in terms of the title and author - I don't mean at all that I would want to reduce the variety of beautiful and eye-catching designs on display in shops and shelves, but it does make it difficult to browse when there aren't any conventions as to which comes uppermost and which below on the spines, especially when the font size and alignment can vary so much...

Incidentally, I saw a stall the other day that was selling bookmarks made from the spines of old books, you know, the leather-bound sort - the butchers! Good thing I am not a veggie too, my friend hates leather in the first place so she might have fainted at the sight of this double-barbarism ;)

I've often thought this, my mind has trouble sifting through the vast array of colours and patterns to find who the book is actually written by... although since I got an Ipad I no longer have that trouble. Electronic books have got rid of so many annoyances for me :D

• 9 months later...

On a related matter, can people tell me what their experience is of browsing for ebooks? I don't have an e-reader yet, preferring paper for now, but I'm curious as to how people's book choices are affected by using the new medium. Obviously the vendors still attempt to group titles into categories such as thrillers, fantasy, etc., just as they would on physical shelves in a real shop. but my own eye is so easily caught by a pretty cover and then very much influenced by the heft and feel of a book (for this reason I rarely look on websites like Waterstones, even while I love to go in their shops) that I don't know that I'd get on very well with choosing ebooks, unless I were to do the actual browsing in a real shop and then go home and download my choice! Golly, such a stick-in-the-mud aren't I... I'm not actually anti-e-reader and might very well invest in one some day soon for holidays and the like, but I do think browsing books is another part of the reading experience that will be lost somewhat. Any thoughts? Thanks x