Homeland

This started on CH4 a few weeks ago on Sundays at 9pm. I watched the first two episodes on the planner last night. Seriously classy drama.

The Biritsh actor Damian Lewis plays Nicholas Brody, a U.S. Marine sergeant who was presumed M.I.A. in Iraq but is found by accident on a special forces mission. The series starts with him coming back to America and his family. Brody it would seem is just a man wanting to claim his life back. Or is he?

The first two episodes of this had me hooked from minute one. Great pace to the plot and a career best by Lewis from what I can see so far. If this series keeps up the standard of the first two episodes it's going to be a belter. Quirky and unnerving tv.

Edited by Milo MInderbinder

Damian Lewis is a terrific actor - anything he's in is usually worth watching (Band of Brothers is excellent, if you've not seen it).

Have recorded all of Homeland so far, but not yet watched any of it. Heard lots and lots of good things about it though, so looking forward to a quiet weekend to catch up with it :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving this series. It's hotting up nicely and this coming weekend's episode is supposed to be the explosive one ................ I read that it is Barack Obama's favourite TV show.

I'm enjoying it very much. The only thing I'm not so keen on is Claire Danes's performance, it's not quite working for me, especially when everyone else is so good.

A friend of mine doesn't like her and agrees with you that she isn't quite working but I think she is perfect. I do have a problem with Brody's wife I find her performance very "empty" I think we should get that she feels something after having her husband return from 8 years of who knows what while she is having an affair with his best friend. I don't even think she cares if Brody knows about the affair or not.

A friend of mine doesn't like her and agrees with you that she isn't quite working but I think she is perfect. I do have a problem with Brody's wife I find her performance very "empty" I think we should get that she feels something after having her husband return from 8 years of who knows what while she is having an affair with his best friend. I don't even think she cares if Brody knows about the affair or not.

See, I'm the complete opposite, I think Morena Baccarrin is fab in it. I interpret the 'emptiness' as a wonderful stillness to her performance, it's all in her eyes and her posture, whereas - to me - Danes chews the scenery too much.

Ah well, each to their own :D

See, I'm the complete opposite, I think Morena Baccarrin is fab in it. I interpret the 'emptiness' as a wonderful stillness to her performance, it's all in her eyes and her posture, whereas - to me - Danes chews the scenery too much.

Ah well, each to their own :D

:giggle: but she chews it well

for the record I am reading "stillness" as "lifeless"

I think Saul is the double agent I wouldn't trust him one bit and I think he is using Carrie for his own gains (thats probably why he hasn't shot her yet)

I was starting to go off the show as it seemed to dip a bit but thorught the lie detector bit this week was brilliant I was very nearly on the edge of my seat when Brody blatantly lied.

for the record I am reading "stillness" as "lifeless"

Harsh! :fight::lol:

Mandy Patinkin's brilliant in it. Although, whenever I see him, I think: "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father - prepare to die!" :D

I think Saul is the double agent I wouldn't trust him one bit and I think he is using Carrie for his own gains (thats probably why he hasn't shot her yet)

I was starting to go off the show as it seemed to dip a bit but thorught the lie detector bit this week was brilliant I was very nearly on the edge of my seat when Brody blatantly lied.

I agree, I thought it was starting to dip but so glad I stayed with it. The lie detector bit was quite heart stopping, especially with what we now know (won't spoil it for those who are catching up). Ooh I think there are quite a few more twists and turns to go yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I take it that's the theme music to 'Homeland'? I fast forwarded through it every time - awful opening credits in general, I think. The theme music to 'Prisoners of War' is quite good, though :smile:

• 7 months later...

Harsh! :fight::lol:

Mandy Patinkin's brilliant in it. Although, whenever I see him, I think: "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father - prepare to die!" :D

Oh man, is that where he is from?? I vaguely recognised him from some medical TV series from years ago but had no idea he was the guy from The Princess Bride!! Crikey, he's aged (haven't we all, though!).

I think he's my favorite character in the show, probably the most complex one. I wouldn't like to cross him!

Quinn was nice as well, but that's from a purely shallow eye-candy point of view. :blush2:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got around watching all 24 episodes. I have to say that even though the actors are great, there aren't many characters I like. Saul (Mandy Patinkin) may just be the only character I really like. I don't really like Carrie anymore. She is too destructive, and selfish. As is Brody. It's just "me, me, me" with them. Usually, I like selfish wicked characters, but not really when they are unaware of it, and play victimized. Saul is just great though.

Don't like the theme song. Some things are a bit hard to believe would happen. But all in all - the show is amazingly produced and acted. Just when the pace gets slow, something unexpected happens to pick up speed and keep my interest. And I look forward to season 3. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sweden is only 19 hours behind America in broadcasting Homeland. Loving it! Finally, season 3. Won't spoil it for anyone who didn't see, but I did not see that ending coming! I think Carrie had it coming though. I hope Mandy Patinkin & Rupert Friend will get more screentime and important roles this season. They are absolutely terrific.