Call The Midwife - Jennifer Worth

Jessi

I was just wondering if anyone else had read the Call the Midwife trilogy. They seem quite popular and I'm reading them after having seen the series on TV.

They are among the most moving books I have ever read and I've teared up more than once.

I am about halfway through Call The Midwife and at some point I want to buy the others. It's an utterly amazing read. I've laughed; I've cried; I've been on the edge of my seat with worry.

It's not many books that manages to make you feel such a wide range of emotions.

It isn't, is it? A few times I've longed to crawl into the pages of the warm, close knit communitys and learn how to speak Cockney and other times I've wanted to do it so I can go a rescue the people from their situations as its made me so angry.

Do buy the others Abcinthia, from what I've read so far, they are just as good as the first.

I have read all the Jennifer Worth books one after the other when they first came out - apart from her last one which was published last year. There is some overlap in the different books with regard to the characters, but overall I enjoyed them tremendously. My own parents were born in that part of the East End, and so it helped me to understand a lot of their own humour, and where some of my own ways have come from.

My family were from their too, Talisman! My grandfathers and great uncles were all Lightermen and Dockers on the river. Worth wrote it was so hard to get a decent job on the river because of the trade being passed between family members and that was just what my lot did. My uncle has my granddads apprentices certificate signed off as him having learnt the trade from his mum's brother!

I finished the second book yesterday on the way to uni and really struggled with trying not to cry :( Jenny and Mr Collett were so sweet and the end of his life was heart breaking.

Yes wasn't it. That sort of thing sadly still happens. We have a lady in the nursing home where I work who lost both her legs due to neglect from the hospital she was in after breaking her hip. She copes with it well though and is quite philosophical about it all, but things like that just should not happen full stop. My own parents although brought up in the area, left in the mid 1950's around the time that the books are set, after they got married, initially to Essex, and later Surrey. My grandparents on Mum's side were considered rich as they ran a greengrocers shop, although their 9 kids (Mum was the youngest) still slept 4 to a bed.

Poor lady :( so sad to think 60 years on that sort of thing is still going on when it should not have even happened then. :( With all the treatments now available, there isn't any excuse.

My nan and granddad moved away in the 1970s and my mum and her siblings were raised in the house next door to the one we live in now. Nan and my Granddads (when they were alive - I was lucky enough to have 3 of my great grandparents for over 15 years) often used to talk about the East ends days so vividly that I've got pictures in my head of where they lived and the people they knew - though I'm sure they are probably quite different to the reality!

• 2 weeks later...

I am deeply interested in the local history side of these books and would dearly love to read how the east end used to be. Unfortunately after reading a few reviews and being informed that there are a lot of explanations of examinations (I'm sure you know which kind I am alluding to without me saying so) and details of women giving birth, it puts me right off. I really do not enjoy hearing details of births - so if anyone can inform me otherwise on these books I would be grateful?

There are some details, but nothing too extreme (at least I didn't think so) - and nothing too technical either. The only way you really know though is to try the first book at least and see for yourself. You might be surprised.