Most special/precious Book

Devi

I looked to see if there was a thread already made, but couldn't seem to find one so here goes.

Everyone has one, a special book that holds a lot of meaning, a favourite as a child perhaps that you bring out once in awhile, one that was given to you as a special gift.

This is my one:

34gn4tl.jpg

It contains 56 of Aesop's stories and as you can see its a very much loved book of mine, I got it as a child from my mum in 1990. I remember often flicking through the book, looking at the many pictures inside, and then have my mum read and re-read the many stories over and over. Sorry about the blurry photos, I'll be sure to take out my new camera and retake them as soon as I can.

21nh9xk.jpg

kf5dhs.jpg

Edited by Devi

I have very fond memories of a book of Aesop's Fables too, Devi. When I was little, my parents would visit an old friend of theirs to help her out around the house, leaving me to my own devices, and she used to give me this book to keep me occupied, so it reminds me of many happy hours spent at a dear friends place :smile2:

However, my most precious book is now my copy of my favourite book Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith, who I met at a book reading/signing event last year, where she put a personal dedication to me inside. It brings a tear of happiness to my eye just thinking about it now.

When I was little, my dad bought me a set of four books, all with a different children's story in them. It was small (about half the size of a regular paperback, and the books came in a little box. I still have it :) I also still have my original copy of To Kill A Mockingbird, which I bought myself when I was about 14. I will always keep that (it's a bit battered now though), because of the impact the book had on me when I first read it. I've reread it a number of times. My husband bought me a beautiful special edition of TKAM, knowing how much I loved the book. I will always treasure that too, but am scared of actually reading it, because I don't want to spoil the pristine condition of it! Normally I don't care if my books get battered about, but that was his present to me on the first birthday I had after we got together, so it's special.

My own, dog eared, crinkled and thoroughly abused copy of The Prisoner of Azkaban. I hate mistreating my books now, but I was not so careful in my younger days. Unfortunately, Prisoner paid the price. I wouldn't trade it for the world though.

Mine is easy - a copy of my own book, hot off the press, which I received about 2 days after it was printed in June 2006.

Oh wow! A very belated congratulations on the book! What's it called and what's it about?

Great pics Devi !! I have a copy of Bottersnikes & Gumbles S.A Wakefield a book I loved as a child which is now out of print. I wish I'd kept my original copy as my OH had to pay £15 for a copy on Ebay & it only cost 30p back in the dim & distant 70's :smile:

There are about 4 of those Bottersnikes and Gumbles books. I tracked them all down for my ex, who also loved the book as a child (regret that now, lol) for quite a price! I then managed to find a cheap copy for myself, but it's not the first one.

There are about 4 of those Bottersnikes and Gumbles books. I tracked them all down for my ex, who also loved the book as a child (regret that now, lol) for quite a price! I then managed to find a cheap copy for myself, but it's not the first one.

I didn't know there were more I'd love to read them all :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

I think my most special books are the ones in the his dark materials series that I have cause it was a book that I wanted to keep reading and was one of those books that planted the loved of reading in me.

I think my most special books are the ones in the his dark materials series that I have cause it was a book that I wanted to keep reading and was one of those books that planted the loved of reading in me.

I'll second that, definitely my most memorable read

Great pics Devi !! I have a copy of Bottersnikes & Gumbles S.A Wakefield a book I loved as a child which is now out of print. I wish I'd kept my original copy as my OH had to pay £15 for a copy on Ebay & it only cost 30p back in the dim & distant 70's :smile:

I've been looking for a cheap copy of that book for years. I've never read it but I have I remember being a small child and my older brother read it and raved about it and ever since then I've wanted to read it.

Edited by ~Andrea~

The Chronicles of Narnia will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first step into the wonderful world of fantasy and I still enjoy rereading them now.

I had a lovely set of them growing up which I kept in top condition until my sister gave one to her friend and who lost it (10 years later and I am still not over it!).

Also, 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett. A wonderful childrens book that I read again recently.

I am also guilty of having a book that I don't not touch. For christmas a few years ago my boyfriend got me a 50th anniversary edition of Lord of the Rings. It is gorgeous with a leather cover, gold page edges etc. If I see anyone even stand near it I feel a bit on edge haha

Mine is easy - a copy of my own book, hot off the press, which I received about 2 days after it was printed in June 2006.

wow not everyone can say that

my special book is I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou I studied this book for my English A Level and its a bit beaten up and has loads of notes and underlinings in it (none of whcih make any sense to me now) but the real reason its special to me is this is the book that made me a reader. I never really read as a child but always wanted to but it wasn't until I did my A Level English that I really got the hang of reading.

Also this thread has reminded me of a picture dictionary I had as a child where W was represented by a Witch and the picture was so scary my sister had to cover it with a square of paper :giggle: