How do you read a series/saga?

Devi

I don't buy all the books of a series before I start reading because I'm afraid I don't like them and have wasted my money on books that I won't read. When I'm really into a specific series I immediately read all the books if I can. I hate it when the series hasn't been completed yet and I have to wait for the final book(s). I always want to read all the books of the series and know how it ended.

• 4 weeks later...

I regularly start series that are only half written and wait years between books. It doesnt bother me at all. If I like the series that much then it is worth the wait.

Plus, I tend not to read the same author's books one after another (don't want too much of a good thing!). An extra bonus is that when after the long wait the latest book is about to be released, its a perfect excuse to go back and reread the other books for a recap! :readingtwo::D

• 3 weeks later...

I can't read one series book after the other either. I like to break up my reading a bit. In fact, I don't like to read two books in a row by the same author (or even the same genre). No matter how much I love a book in a series, I still like to read a few different books in between.

I do exactly the same, I nearly always have a series on the go, but will never read them consecutively.

I do like to own all of a series first, after reading lots of reviews and making sure it is worth it, but I have to own the set of same editions... nothing worse then a series that don't match.

The paperback versions of A Dance with Dragons have just been released and they are the bigger editions (that all new paperbacks seem to be) unlike the previous five paperbacks in the series... grrrrr

I do exactly the same, I nearly always have a series on the go, but will never read them consecutively.

I do like to own all of a series first, after reading lots of reviews and making sure it is worth it, but I have to own the set of same editions... nothing worse then a series that don't match.

The paperback versions of A Dance with Dragons have just been released and they are the bigger editions (that all new paperbacks seem to be) unlike the previous five paperbacks in the series... grrrrr

I'm the same with covers as well. Nothing worse than having mismatched books in size too, I always wait till they are released in the same size as the previous one because there is nothing worse than having odd shaped books in a series.

Edited by Devi

I'm the same with covers as well. Nothing worse than having mismatched books in size too, I always wait till they are released in the same size as the previous one because there is nothing worse than having odd shaped books in a series.

I do that for most series but would be a long wait with George R. R. Martin...

Timstar, this is what you need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Song-Ice-Fire-Dance-Dragons/dp/0006486118/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333617312&sr=8-5

I believe it's the Canadian version, the whole thing in one volume, the same cover design and size as the previous books before the publishers decided to change the size. Get in quick while The Book Depository have still go them :smile:

Timstar, this is what you need:

http://www.amazon.co...33617312&sr=8-5

I believe it's the Canadian version, the whole thing in one volume, the same cover design and size as the previous books before the publishers decided to change the size. Get in quick while The Book Depository have still go them :smile:

Thanks! I ordered it... for £9 I hope it is the right one. :D

Thanks! I ordered it... for £9 I hope it is the right one. :D

I found out about it from this thread: http://www.amazon.co...Tx3RVTI3DENW82R

Someone on there has received it and says "it is indeed the whole volume in paperback" and "my copy arrived as a complete 'normal sized' paperback". I've ordered one, too, so if it's not right I'll be sending it back. If you go on The Book Depository website and check the ISBN number the dimensions seem to be correct. I've ordered Steven Erikson's books from them before (again, to have the whole series in the same size) and they've all been fine. Now I don't know whether I'm trying to reassure you or myself :lol:

Now I don't know whether I'm trying to reassure you or myself :lol:

I was encouraged up until that last sentence!! Hehe I'm sure it will be fine as it does the dimensions are correct.

I do wish publishers would stick to the same editions... I bought all the Dark Tower series cause when I discovered them the editions had been out a while and I thought I bet they release some new ones soon! And they just have... But now there is another book in the series coming out that definitely won't match my copies!

I only need two more of the King books released before 2007 of the same editions which are now out of print everywhere.

• 7 months later...

I get all my fiction from the library so it's usually not possible to read a whole series at once. I usually end up waiting a few weeks/months in between. I prefer to read something else between each book too. Sometimes I've got an omnibus of a series and I'll read one book in it, then something else, then go back to the omnibus.

I also get a lot of books from the library and I read according to availability. At times I'm not reading the series in chronological order but I'm okay with that. I'm the same when it comes to buying books. I tend to approach a book as a "read alone" story then discover that its part of a series. At that point I make a decision whether or not to look up the series and decide if I want to read more of them if they're available to me. I also have no problem buying/reading a book which is the beginning of a series that is yet unfinished by an author.

• 2 months later...

I prefer to read a series in order, however on rare occasion I don't know that a book is part of a series and hence I start with ie. part two. Most of the time I read them in order. On the whole I prefer to wait until I have the whole series before I start reading it. I don't like to read too many series at once, waiting for the next book to come out. Of course there are exceptions, I started reading ie. the Wheel of Time series before it's finished, among many other series. I find often I can at least read the first book, because it usually has an ending. This isn't always true though. So while I prefer to wait, I often don't XD.