Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino

angerball

I just finished this book, and...Wow, what an incredible novel! :lol:

Before I started it, I'd read some reviews on Amazon; a lot of people gave this book negative reviews, complaining that it wasn't another Out (which is also fantastic, BTW). I don't think it's fair to compare the two, as they are quite different.

The book is set in modern time Japan, and follows the events leading up to the murders of two prostitutes (who had attended the same elite high school years earlier). The murder is peripheral to the story, and I think is merely used to tie all the characters together by one common storyline. The first half of the book is narrated by the sister of one of the prostitutes, and focuses on the interaction between these characters during their high school years (pretty emotionally brutal stuff). Then the book switches to present time, and narration is taken over by the two prostitutes, in the form of their journals.

It's a very emotionally heavy going book, but it had me hooked from day one. If you are more into psychological character studies, rather than a story full of twists and turns and lots of action, then I recommend this book.

All the characters are pretty despicable, and it

I really enjoyed Out too, saw Grotesque on a rare trip to Borders and was so close to buying it. Decided to wait till it's out in paperback or if it becomes available at the library.

I'm glad to see that there are quite a few people out there who like Natsuo Kirino. She's one of those authors I feel so lucky to have found. :D I picked up Out on a whim, never expecting to enjoy it so much.

Hopefully they will translate more of her other work in the future. :blush:

• 3 months later...
Re: Out

Thank you for this recommendation, I am really enjoying it, don't normally like translations but this one is great and i feel like I'm in Japan with them

You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying it. I too am not a fan of translations, and I hesitated before picking it up. But, boy was I glad I read it. It's an incredible book. I love the interactions between the lead women, following the

murder and subsequent slice-and-dice

. It's such a dark book, and one that I'll read again I'm sure. :hyper:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This one has been sat on my bookshelf for some time now and I've finally picked it up to give it a read. Previously I just haven't been in the mood to make a start but today it jumped out at me.

I'm looking forward to a good, gritty read.

I'm glad this thread got bumped up, Grotesque sounds intriguing.

I'll look for it in the library when I'll be getting my summer read.

Thanks for posting, and bumping up :D

• 1 month later...

Yay! I'm so glad to have found people who have read Natso Kirino. I read Out a while ago, I'll admit it was probably the first really graphic book I've ever read, totally loved it! (In fact a work collegue borrowed it and never returned it which means I need to pick it up again *shakes head*)

Anyway, I've also read Grotesque and can honestly say I don't think I've ever read anything like it. I've never found characters in a book so utterly repugnant yet completely loved the book! I must add this to my re-reading pile so I can say add a slightly more meaningful comment.