Nursenblack's Reading List 2012

nursenblack

Finished March 13th #12 Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver 51XGXtl2PhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpgIn the second book of the Delirium trilogy, Pandemonium, Lena learns the ways of the Wilds and joins the resistance. The novel begins where the other book left off and each chapter switches from then to now. The drama, suspense, and romance make this a riveting read. Though, in my opinion, the start is a bit slow, but the second half and especially the end, make up for it. I'm still reeling from the ending. I can't believe I have to wait a year for Requiem! (5/5)

Just seen this, I still have Delirium on my TBR and want to read it but for some reason I haven't yet, I'll mentally move it up a bit further! :smile:

Have you read Divergence by Veronica Roth, sounds like it's in a similar vein and I loved it, currently half way through the second in the series, Insurgence, at tho moment, and whilst it started a bit slow it' certainly picking up the pace now! :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished April 24th

Pure by Julianna Baggott

41U4dD0QwKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pure is a unique post-apocalyptic novel packed full of action and drama. The Wretches, the unluckly people who were outside of the Dome during the "Detonations" are fused with objects, dirt, and even each other. But the lucky ones, the ones untouched by the bombs, live in comfort inside the dome, pure.

I found Pure very intriguing and so much darker and graphic than the typical dystopian/post-apocalyptic (not sure if it's catergorized as young adult) novel. I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy. (4/5)

Finished April 29th

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

51gLFvBFOkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

"When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever."

I must admit that I was looking very forward to reading Fifty Shades of Grey, even though it is not my typical read. I have never, purposely, read anything labeled "erotic romance", until now. What began as Twilight fan fiction, though it has nothing to do with vampires, has become a tour de force on its own, with most readers either loving or loathing it. Personaly, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I found the novel interesting, maybe a bit unrealistic, but absorbing. On the other hand, I wanted to shake Ana, the main character, until her teeth rattled (maybe the novel was a bad influence ;)), and throw the book down and stomp it. I'm actually pretty mad at myself for wanting to know what's going to happen next. I'm going to hang my head shamefully when I buy the other two books. (3/5)

My friend is letting me borrow 50 shades of grey when she has finished it, this isn't something I usually go for but she says it's well written so thought I would leap out of my comfort zone and give it a go!

Andie P x

Pure sounds great, and I love the cover. I've added it to my wishlist in the hopes that the Kindle version comes down in price.

This has been on my wish list for a while, I think I'll wait for the paperback to be released in September as it's still quite expensive as a hardback. Or I could even get it out of the library........ So many books so little time!! :banghead::giggle2:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished May 5th

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (via Kindle per library loan)

51IQn6YPgbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

"An unflinching, darkly funny, and deeply moving story of a boy, his seriously ill mother, and an unexpected monstrous visitor.

At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth. From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd-- whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself-- Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined."

I loved A Monster Calls, a children's novel with a grownup theme that is lyrical, sad and true. Definitely a modern classic that will become timeless. (5/5)

Finished May 13th

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris

31iSf43h4wL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress at a bar and grill, can hear others' thoughts, and works very hard to keep them out of her head. That's why she never dates and almost everyone in the town of Bon Temps thinks she's crazy. But when she discovers a vampire sitting at one of her tables, her life takes a dangerous path and everyone she cares for is at risk.

I can't belive that it's taken me so long to jump on the "True Blood" books bandwagon. Dead Until Dark is definitely a guilty pleasure. It isn't poignant or inspiring, but it's just darn fun. I will be reading book two very soon. (3/5)

Finished May 13th

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris

31iSf43h4wL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress at a bar and grill, can hear others' thoughts, and works very hard to keep them out of her head. That's why she never dates and almost everyone in the town of Bon Temps thinks she's crazy. But when she discovers a vampire sitting at one of her tables, her life takes a dangerous path and everyone she cares for is at risk.

I can't belive that it's taken me so long to jump on the "True Blood" books bandwagon. Dead Until Dark is definitely a guilty pleasure. It isn't poignant or inspiring, but it's just darn fun. I will be reading book two very soon. (3/5)

Just you wait for book 4! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Finished May 22nd

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

51dAy9OrUIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

"Fortunes have changed for the King family, descendants of Hawaiian royalty and one of the state’s largest landowners. Matthew King’s daughters—Scottie, a feisty ten-year-old, and Alex, a seventeen-year-old recovering drug addict—are out of control, and their charismatic, thrill-seeking mother, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident. She will soon be taken off life support. As Matt gathers his wife’s friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation is made worse by the sudden discovery that there’s one person who hasn’t been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair. Forced to examine what they owe not only to the living but to the dead, Matt, Scottie, and Alex take to the road to find Joanie’s lover, on a memorable journey that leads to unforeseen humor, growth, and profound revelations."

Unfortunately, I probably would never have discovered this novel if it hadn't been for the movie. I wanted to read it before watching the movie and am so glad I did. I found The Descendants engaging, funny and sad. I can't wait to read what comes next from Hemmings. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Finished May 31st

Living Dead In Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 2) by Charlaine Harris (via Kindle per libarary loan)

51%2BjdI6PBGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In the second book of the southern vampire series, Sookie Stackhouse discovers the body of a Merlotte's coworker in the car of detective, Andy Bellefleur. But that isn't all that keeps Sookie busy. There's a meanad (a wild mythological creature) on the loose in the woods, and Sookie has been summoned to Dallas for her services.

As entertaining as this second novel was, especially any scene involving Eric, the plot was all over the place and absoultely random. Despite this, for now, I will keep going with the series. (2/5)

• 1 month later...

Jeez! I'm so behind on my reviews. I'll try to do better.

Finished June 2nd

The Giver by Lois Lowry (via Kindle per library loan)

31dGtUKXt0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Giver, the first of a trilogy, was first published in 1993, and is as riveting as any of the stories of its kind. I don't believe it's too assuming to say that this award winning, young adult novel has been an inspiration for dystopian societies in novels of today. There is an innocence to The Giver that I haven't experienced so genuinly in any other novel in this genre. I'm so glad I finally read this. (5/5)

Finished June 10th

# 24

Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse Book 3) By Charlaine Harris (via Kindle per library loan)

61iMiDdaGIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the third book of the Sookie Stackhouse series, Sookie, once again, uses her mind reading abilities to find the bad guy. Except this time the bad guy is her vampire boyfriend, Bill, who has been seeing his ex behind Sookie's back and is now being held hostage. But that's okay because there is plenty of face time with Bill's sexy boss, Eric. Oh, and also the introduction of tall, dark and werewolf, Alcide.

Like I've said before, these novels aren't masterpieces, but just plain fun. The ultimate beach reads if you're into romance on the dark side. (3/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Finished June 26th

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater (via Kindle per library loan)

51McNwA%2BY6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from booklist

"*Starred Review* Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan, a gifted harpist who regularly plays for weddings and other events, has the kind of stage fright that makes her physically ill before a performance, which is an inauspicious way to start a romance; but while vomiting before a competition she meets a gorgeous boy who comes into the restroom to hold her hair. He is Luke Dillon, a flautist who proceeds to accompany her in a truly stellar performance. As four-leaf clovers start appearing everywhere, Deirdre develops telekinetic powers and encounters strange, unworldly people who seem to bear her ill will. Her best friend, James, also a talented musician; her beloved grandmother; and her mother all are in danger, as Deirdre is targeted by the queen of Faerie. Deirdre eventually discovers that she is a cloverhand, a person who can see the denizens of faerie, and Luke, not the only immortal who has her in his sights, is a gallowglass, an assassin assigned by the queen of Faerie to kill Deirdre but who falls in love with her instead. This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with its authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin’s Impossible (2008) and Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series. Illustrations by Jeffrey are fitting. Grades 9-12. --Diana Tixier Herald "

After having read Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series first, I was expecting a bit more from her early work. The concept of this young adult novel was intriguing, but the execution was lacking. I was most bothered by the fact that people in Deirdre's life, including her best friend and snobby coworker, accept that she's being followed by Faeries without even blinking an eye. Also, I had trouble beliving the romance between Deirdre and Luke. There are ways to master believability, even in fantasy, but this wasn't it. I really really wanted to love it. (2/5)

Finished July 4th

Fifty Shades Darker by E. L James

51Afk0Wpa6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Daunted by the singular tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

This book is intended for mature audiences.

As with Fifty Shades of Grey, I also have torn feelings about Fifty Shades Darker. This second book in the trilogy, I felt, had a more interesting storyline whereas the first book seemed to be more about sexual awakening and experimentation. The character of Christian Grey has really grown on me though. Because of his vulnerbility, he is less godlike and more human. Now, Anastasia, on the other hand, still needs a good shaking. I have never seen a main character that, frustratingly, seems strong one minute and then meekly agrees to eat lunch for fear of making "Fifty" angry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding her, or maybe she is naive with as many shades as Christian Grey. Overall, a good 100 pages could be cut from the book, but considerably better than the first book. (3.5/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Finished June 26th

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater (via Kindle per library loan)

51McNwA%2BY6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from booklist

"*Starred Review* Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan, a gifted harpist who regularly plays for weddings and other events, has the kind of stage fright that makes her physically ill before a performance, which is an inauspicious way to start a romance; but while vomiting before a competition she meets a gorgeous boy who comes into the restroom to hold her hair. He is Luke Dillon, a flautist who proceeds to accompany her in a truly stellar performance. As four-leaf clovers start appearing everywhere, Deirdre develops telekinetic powers and encounters strange, unworldly people who seem to bear her ill will. Her best friend, James, also a talented musician; her beloved grandmother; and her mother all are in danger, as Deirdre is targeted by the queen of Faerie. Deirdre eventually discovers that she is a cloverhand, a person who can see the denizens of faerie, and Luke, not the only immortal who has her in his sights, is a gallowglass, an assassin assigned by the queen of Faerie to kill Deirdre but who falls in love with her instead. This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with its authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin’s Impossible (2008) and Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series. Illustrations by Jeffrey are fitting. Grades 9-12. --Diana Tixier Herald "

After having read Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series first, I was expecting a bit more from her early work. The concept of this young adult novel was intriguing, but the execution was lacking. I was most bothered by the fact that people in Deirdre's life, including her best friend and snobby coworker, accept that she's being followed by Faeries without even blinking an eye. Also, I had trouble beliving the romance between Deirdre and Luke. There are ways to master believability, even in fantasy, but this wasn't it. I really really wanted to love it. (2/5)

I read 'Lament' and 'Ballad' but I much preferred 'Ballad', I know what you mean about 'Lament' though, I found it hard to like. :)

• 2 months later...

I cant believe it's been so long since I updated.

Finished July 7th

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

51373TyL5uL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Each night at precisely 4:33 am, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

This young adult novel had a very intresting concept- only the future is remembered instead of the past. Even one day before is forgotten. I really enjoyed Forgotten and look forward to more by Patrick. (4/5)

F

Finished July 25th

Persuasion by Jane Austen

61cfv1Rm7lL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Persuasion, Jane Austen's last novel, is one the most romantic by the author. The idea of unrequited love being rekindled may have come from Austen’s personal hopes¸ but who knows. When she writes of Anne’s discomfort at being in the same room when Captain Wentworth, her jilted lover, I can truly feel it. Persuasion isn’t my favorite (Sense & Sensibility), but I do love Anne Elliot. As with all of Austen’s novels, the boring parts are boring and the good parts are excellent. (4/5)

Finished August 12th

Unenchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale) by Chanda Hahn (via Kindle)

51lG-sFEcgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-69,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crushes life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it's next fairytale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

Unenchanted, the first of a ya series, is an interesting take on the classic Grimm's fairy tales. It isn't perfect (what can you expect from a kindle book priced 0.00), but still enjoyable and I actually what to find out what happens next. (3/5)

Finished August 31st

Dead to the World: A Sookie Stackhouse novel by Charlaine Harris (via library loan per Kindle)

51nZegdkxWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In the fourth book of the Sookie Stackhouse series, Eric has lost his memory and Jason goes missing. It's up to Sookie to find the coven of evil witches that are responsible for these dastardly deeds.

Despite some very fascinating scenes involving Eric, the story seemed to drag on. A bit disappointing, but still fun. (2/5)

Finished Sept. 9th

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

51MQUKLRhGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Mara Dyer doesn't believe life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.

From the first page I was hooked. Mara Dyer isn't your typical heroine - she's flawed and broken to perfection and that drew me in even more. There is plenty of mystery with a pinch paranormal. The end of the novel seemed a bit disconnected from the rest of the book, but I still enjoyed it. I can't wait to read the next book. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Oh Nursenblack, I will have to stop visiting your thread, as I always find I end up spending money shortly afterward.

I have bought Forgotten (it is winging it's way to me right now), and it looks like The Unbecoming Of Mary Dyer is about to accidentally-on-purpose be bought too! :giggle2:

Oh Nursenblack, I will have to stop visiting your thread, as I always find I end up spending money shortly afterward.

I have bought Forgotten (it is winging it's way to me right now), and it looks like The Unbecoming Of Mary Dyer is about to accidentally-on-purpose be bought too! :giggle2:

Glad you and I have the same tastes. However, it is all part of my evil plan: Take over the world- one book lover at a time! :angel_not: