Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I had this dilemma last night. Whether to spend 77p on A Study in Scarlet when I have it on my shelf (very feint, tiny print though!) :blush2: then I accidently clicked buy! Decision made. :giggle:

I'm still resisting...

I've just started The Girl with the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw, which Michelle gave me for Christmas. I'm not very far in yet but I think I'm going to like it. I like the writing style. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've promised myself to expand my reading list this year and not restrict myself to fantasy like I normally do. I've read a couple of books already that I would never have picked up, and have added 1984 and A Thousand Splendid Suns to my list of all-time favourite books.

After reading some opinions on different books, I recently borrowed To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and The Time Traveler's Wife by Aurey Niffenegger from my local library. I'm about a quarter of a way through To Kill a Mockingbird at the moment and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm glad I decided to move out of the fantasy genre and throw myself into some of these novels, they've certainly made me think.

I finished reading Caught in the Act by Gemma Fox and have started Things I Want My Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble. I'm only about 50 pages or so in, and I've already cried twice!

Keep the tissues handy Laura, it's a great book but a very emotional topic!! :cry:

I still have to read that book by Noble. Now I know I'll have to have more than a cup of tea ready before I start reading it, a large packet of tissues will be right beside my cup of tea as I cry during reading and watching movies when things become quite emotional. (to which my 14-year old daughter often remarks how silly I am for crying over stories from books and movies). I enjoyed her book 'Tenko Club' and am looking forward to reading more Noble books.

I haven't done any reading the last couple of days due to playing old SNES games (!), but I'm planning on finishing 44 by Jools Sinclair a.s.a.p, and today I'm being quite cheeky by assuming The Golden Acorn is going to win the reading group vote over at the Kindle Klub on Goodreads, and starting that too :D

I haven't done any reading the last couple of days due to playing old SNES games (!)

Jealous! I have my old SNES and games but I've never been able to work out how to hook it up to the TV to get them working. :(

I've now finished I'm the King of the Castle by Susan Hill and I started reading The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole last night. Which I'm absolutely loving. Kylie, you need to get yourself a copy!

There you go again, trying to make me buy books! (And OK, I'll get myself a copy. :))

I read a couple of chapters of Catch-22 today, and a little more of Nerd Do Well.

Edited by Kylie

There you go again, trying to make me buy books! (And OK, I'll get myself a copy. :))

As soon as I posted I realised that it'll just sound like I'm going to try and make you buy books! But... it's a John Kennedy Toole!!

Jealous! I have my old SNES and games but I've never been able to work out how to hook it up to the TV to get them working. :(

Awww Kylie! I don't play them on a tv anymore, or a games console for that matter ;) My family does own all of the Nintendo line, and they all work, they're just stored safely in my parents house as the only consoles we all play are PS2/PS3.

I've managed to get back to Cryptonomicon, and in-between finished Footsteps in Time by Sarah Woodbury. It's a time travel romance that is the first of a trilogy. Predictible, but sweet enough for me to buy the rest on Kindle.

Edited by pontalba

I've gone a bit mad over the last week or so and downloaded the following to my Kindle - all free!

Lady of Bolton Hill by Elizabeth Camden

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

Lady Audley's Secret by M E Braddon

The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde

Avenging Annabelle by Mandy White

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Born on the Graig by Colin Cronow

A Child al Confino by Eric Lamet

Home Life of the Lancashire Factory Folk during the Cotton Famine by Edwin Waugh

The Book of Household Management by Mrs Beaton

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Travels in England in 1782 by Karl Philipp Moritz

Pollyanna Grows Up by Eleanor H Parker

Scenes from a Clerical Life by George Eliot

I've gone a bit mad over the last week or so and downloaded the following to my Kindle - all free!

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

Great list Janet! Gosh, What Katy Did was one of my childhood favorites, haven't heard of it in many decades. /sigh/ :D

Just received two books from a publisher for review:

• Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
  • Cold Light by Jenn Ashworth

Looking forward to reading them both! :)

Oh gawd, I just added six books to my TBR list :doh: I noticed Amazon were selling Phil Rickman's 'Merrily Watkins' novels for 90p each, so I had to go and buy six of them, didn't I? Didn't I?? :blush2:

Whoops - Kindles have a lot to answer for! :P

Great list Janet! Gosh, What Katy Did was one of my childhood favorites, haven't heard of it in many decades. /sigh/ :D

Thanks. :) I've never read it, and in fact, I don't actually know what it's about - but it's one of those books I feel I should have read!

Drop City - T C Boyle and The Lambs of London - Peter Ackroyd finally dropped through my letter box yesterday. Still waiting on The Atrocity Exhibition - J G Ballard a week after it was posted though, which is the one I want most of all... Ebay is always a mine field! :doh:

I've now finished I'm the King of the Castle by Susan Hill

What did you make of it frankie? It took me to a dark, dark place and I felt so helpless that I couldn't do anything .. it made me feel really gloomy shoes.