Your book activity in 2012

Kell

You still have those books coming your way, the ones you ordered in 2011. Loads of them!

Speaking of which...I received my books in the mail today! And there are only 4 of them, thank you very much Frankie! :P

Sean Egan: The Mammoth Book of The Beatles (sucky title, but it contains a lot of essays and original articles about The Beatles)

Chris Fijiwara: Defining Moments in Movies (to match the Music and Books that I ready have)

Thomas Hardy: Jude the Obscure (this doesn't even count because it's a replacement for an old edition I had)

Chris O'Dell: Miss O'Dell (autobio of a woman who was good friends, and more, with The Beatles, the Stones etc)

Oh that Pegg. I've seen Shaun of the Dead, it was great the first time but couldn't care less the second time. Which was odd. Everybody's been talking about Paul lately, I think I should watch it sometime.

That's a shame. You should definitely check out Paul, and also Hot Fuzz.

Edit: Oh, I was right. I just don't think I've ever heard of Bluebeard before. This is interesting, I won't spoil the fun and see what the others are versions of, I want to see if I can pick the original tales up as I go.

I had the same problem. :) I have never heard of Bluebeard before either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I blame this place, too many recommendations!

Haha - that can happen! I don't think I had a 'to read' pile at all before I signed up! :giggle2:

I'm not a football fan as you know, but I remember Enke's tragic death. :(

I've been continuing Anna Karenina, but I'm keeping a rather slow pace with it. I just love thick books, it's nice to read just a few chapters a day and so keep the book as a long time companion. I think I'm going to finish Eevan tyttäret today (Eve's daughters, a non-fiction book about the history of women by Kaari Utrio, a Finnish writer).

And yay, the eight books I ordered a while ago have been shipped yesterday!

I'm making slow but steady progress through Catch-22. I love, love, love it!

I finished Catch-22 a couple of weeks ago. Funny, I loved it as well, but it was still somehow slow to read indeed.

Received today in the post from a fellow Bookcrosser the bookring book. Still Alice ~ Lisa Genova (a book written from the Alzheimers sufferers point of view (she is only 50), may need my tissues for this one I think).

Edited by Inver

After a week of non-reading, I finally felt up to picking up my kindle again yesterday and started something quick and easy, Hasty Death by M.C. Beaton. Am on the last chapter already, and will be (unbelievably :eek:) my first finished book of the year!

Edited by chesilbeach

I ended 2011 re-reading the True Blood series, which took me into 2012. I love them as an escape from real life and relax the brain (they're not too taxing, afterall!).

I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for my book group and LOVED IT! It had me gripped and I loved the leading character. It gave me a great insight into what the island went through during WWII. I kept interupting myself to jump on wikipedia to find out more about some aspects, such as the slaves the Germans brought over. I've been recommending it to all my friends.

Having a quick read of another Kindle freebie, 44 by Jools Sinclair. So far, not the best writing or characterisation in the world, but it's pretty short and easy to read, so I'll keep with it just to find out where it goes :)

I've read about 80 pages of Anne of Ingleside and a few pages each of Nerd Do Well and Catch-22. They're all great books so it's hard to decide which one to pick up at any given time. :)

I started and finished Avenger Angel by Heather Killough Walden and started one of my freebies from Kindle The Uprising (The fall of Haven) this morning before I came to work. Also still reading Death comes to Pemberley and must update my list and the Jan reading circle about my thoughts on The Bloody Chamber......busy busy busy...oh and do some work at some point :smile:

'Mistress Masham's Repose' dropped into my letter box today. It's a near perfect 1979 edition (original price 75p).

I have got further into 'The Last Dragonslayer' whilst at the hospital today - loving this book - loving Mr Jasper Fforde! :wub:

I finished A Life Too Short and have begun The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson, which will be my first book read electronically!

Also visited the library to take back two books, swore I wouldn't take any out until I've reduced the stack I already have...and came out with another three. Fail.

Edited by Alexistar

'Mistress Masham's Repose' dropped into my letter box today. It's a near perfect 1979 edition (original price 75p).

I've just had an email to say my copy is ready to collect from the library too - looking forward to it!

Today I started the next mojo boosting instalment of M.C. Beaton's Edwardian Murder Mysteries, and I'm already about 60% through! Fluffly, light reading but perfect for bump starting my reading after a disastrous week last week.

I'm about 80 pages into "Ellis Island" by Kate Kerrigan. SUCH a different read than the book I just finished ("Cutting for Stone" which was much more difficult yet fulfilling reading), but I'm still liking it!

I've been reading The Girl who kicked the Hornet's nest at a good pace. Not because the book isn't fantastic, because it is. I just haven't had the time to had a long session.

I'm 550 pages in and hope to finish it in the next couple of days.

Finished reading Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte this evening. Loved it. Am also on the verge of finishing The Sisters Brotehrs by Patrick deWitt. Loving it too. :)

I wasn't making much progress with The Bloody Chamber last night in bed, the print was too small for the wee hours, so I picked up Dead Simple by Peter James. I haven't read a thriller in a long long time so should be interesting.

Yet again I was so tired by the time I got into bed I only managed to read to page 600. I am determined that once worked is finished I will complete this book. After that I have no idea what I am going to read. No wait.... I keep forgetting I promised my son I would read the next Harry Potter book, which is Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix.

I'm still reading Next by Michael Crichton. I'm so bored with it already. I want to get it read and finished with by Monday so I can pass itback to my friend.