Great Expectations

Hayley

Is anybody else watching this series?

I watched the first one tonight and it was quite good, they did miss quite a lot out but I suppose they always do!

Was a little surprised to see who they chose to play Miss Havisham and Magwitch too, they didn't look anything like I imagined them to from the book!

Drat I remember hearing that this was on but didn't realise it was on tonight. :doh:

Definitely seems like one worth catching up with on iPlayer though.

Edited by Ben

And you should definitely read it Laura, its really good. Do you like the series so far?

I've just watched the second part and I liked that even more, epecially the ending of the episode. I think I'm going to either download it for my Kindle or borrow it off my mum so I can give it a read!

I watched the David Lean film along time ago and was fascinated by it, I've also read the book in my teens but I think I need to read it again. I can't quite make my mind up about the role of Miss Havisham, I thought she was a bit more frightening in the original film. She doesn't appear that way in the TV version. I liked Ray Winstone as Magwitch, I thought he was well cast. Overall I've really enjoyed it, I think they captured the mood of the book quite well.

It was a bundle of laughs, wasn't it? :giggle2:

I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't read the book but shall endeavour to do so now. I thought Gillian Anderson was very good but, obviously, I have nothing to compare her performance to. It was nice to see Harry Lloyd playing decent sort, though, after he was so nasty in Game of Thrones.

I have had people staying so haven't been able to watch it on tv and just tried catching up on the I-player only for it to mess around :banghead:

my opinion of the first three minutes is that Pip looks too healthy. I have high hopes for it though I prefer modern adeptations on these things tried watching an old black and white tale of two cities this morning but I couldn't stick with it

I have caught up with it now

I did read the books years ago and was a bit sketchy on the ending and it sort of rang true but I felt it was missing something

I remember really feeling for Joe Gargary in the book and felt he didn't really come across as being the same in this but not in a bad way. I really enjoyed watching it and recapping on the story, I felt it was just the right length and I got a little bit emotional at the end.

Might have to re-read it now