karen.d's Reading List 2012

karen.d

Great review, Karen. I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle.

I live only about a 40 minute drive from Dartmoor Wildlife Park and have been there twice. Thinking about it, it must have been around the time the new owners purchased it, or just before, as the place was looking a bit tired.They have, hands down in my opinion, the best big cat enclosures I have ever seen. You get an incredible view of the tigers as there is no fence around them - you are looking down onto them, as they are in a sunken enclosure surrounded by a moat. One of the tiger enclosures was separated by literally a chain-link fence, and we were stood next to this fence while this tiger was pacing up and down rubbing itself along it. All I had to do was reach out my hand to touch it if I'd wanted - but I didn't have the nerve. :hide: It was amazing! It's probably not as open and accessible as that now, most likely due to health and safety, etc., but looking at their website, you can buy 'Experiences' such as being a Big Cat Keeper for a day. Dogs also used to be allowed in the zoo, but not anymore which is a shame.

If you ever get the chance to visit, I really recommend it. I might go there again, and see what has changed. I think the book will be even more enjoyable for me given that I've visited there. :smile:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, Karen. I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle.

I live only about a 40 minute drive from Dartmoor Wildlife Park and have been there twice. Thinking about it, it must have been around the time the new owners purchased it, or just before, as the place was looking a bit tired.They have, hands down in my opinion, the best big cat enclosures I have ever seen. You get an incredible view of the tigers as there is no fence around them - you are looking down onto them, as they are in a sunken enclosure surrounded by a moat. One of the tiger enclosures was separated by literally a chain-link fence, and we were stood next to this fence while this tiger was pacing up and down rubbing itself along it. All I had to do was reach out my hand to touch it if I'd wanted - but I didn't have the nerve. :hide: It was amazing! It's probably not as open and accessible as that now, most likely due to health and safety, etc., but looking at their website, you can buy 'Experiences' such as being a Big Cat Keeper for a day. Dogs also used to be allowed in the zoo, but not anymore which is a shame.

If you ever get the chance to visit, I really recommend it. I might go there again, and see what has changed. I think the book will be even more enjoyable for me given that I've visited there. :smile:

How wonderful! I think because you have the connection with the zoo, this might be an even better read for you. After reading the book, I would really love to go and visit Dartmoor Wildlife Park.

I hope you enjoy the book. :smile:

There are some writers that hide under the mainstream that I think, should get more credit than they do. Guy Burt is one of them.

Mostly known nowadays for television, Burt's novels are some of the most interesting I have read. One of the reasons is because I think he has the ability to really get inside his character's heads. So much so, that with my latest read, 'The Dandelion Clock' I initally found it difficult to follow the way in which the story leaps from what is going on in the present, to the memories within the main character Alex's mind. As I am progressing with this novel, the more interesting the concept becomes. Here's a 'snippet':

Page 63- ' I am left with the strangest feeling that the history of the past year is changing around me; that the details of the 'miracle' are no longer quite so miraculous.'

'The Dandelion Clock' by Guy Burt

Which authors do you think have the ability to transport their readers into the minds of the characters?

• 2 weeks later...

'Sunday Snippet'

This Sunday is proving more chilled out than last week's motorbike show and the town is very quiet. It's so hot here at the moment (it's due to reach 30 C here today), that all you can do is read and sleep. I'm hoping to find some space in my sluggishness (is that a word!?) to try and finish 'The Dandelion Clock' by Guy Burt.

Here's a 'snippet':

Page 263: 'I think about that, and it does feel strange to me that Anna can feel bored in so many situations that Jamie and I would find fascinating; but in the dim shadow-world of the chapel, listening to the hermit's stories, she never is.'

What are you reading at the moment?

Edited by karen.d

Publisher: Transworld Publishers

ISBN: 0-385-60037-2

Length: 416 Pages

Opening Line: 'Altesa is in the rain.'

The Blurb: 'Alex is an artist, preparing for a major exhibition. His life seems ordered and complete, but an impulsive trip back to the Italy of his childhood forces him to explore the unresolved questions of his past.

There, in those seemingly innocent days, as he swam and explored the wild countryside with Jamie and Anna, Alex must surely find the key to so much of his later life. To understand the fear that now assails him, he has to experience again his first friendship with Jamie and his first love for Anna; and to put together the pieces of a dangerous episode which brought the three of them closer than they could realize, and which was to have such devastating consequences in their adult life.'

Review:

Having already read two of Guy Burt's books ('Sophie' and 'After the Hole'), I had certain expectations about this novel. I wasn't disappointed.

Believable characters, combined with Burt's unsual style of writing, make this a dynamic read. Unlike a more linear novel, this kept my mind busy, trying to piece together the fragments of story (both in past and present) together. Although I have to say, the frequent switch between past and present throughout the book, took me a while to get used to.

Even though this is set in the sunny climate of Altessa, this has darker under currents running through it. I could feel a certain of tension building throughout this novel. The only slight complaint I have about this novel, is that I found the ending to be slightly anticlimatic.

Is this worth a read?

Yes, I do think this is a very good read. The unique style in which Burt writes, in my opinion, makes him one of the most innovative and interesting of writers. This coming of age story will keep you gripped from the first page.

Have taken note of Guy Burt thanks to your review and will maybe explore him next year thanks Karen.

Guy Burt's work is a bit dark and a little unconventional, but for me, that's what makes him so interesting. One of his books 'After the Hole' was made into a film with Keira Knightley and Thora Birch and although it was good, the book is much better.

• 3 weeks later...

'The Art of Racing in The Rain' by Garth Stein

Publisher: Harper Collins

ISBN: 978-0-00-728119-0

Length: 321 Pages

Opening Line: 'Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.'

The 'blurb':

'The captivating and moving story of an extraordinary family, how they almost fell apart and how they were brought back together by the wisest and most loyal member- Enzo the dog.'

Review:

Having read many positive comments around this novel, I was worried that when I read 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' for myself, it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

I must admit that the 'voice' of Enzo didn't quite feel real to me at the beginning of the novel, after all it's not often that you get a dog who loves Formula 1 racing, but very quickly, I believed in Enzo and his story.

This novel is written with wit, intelligence and even though I'm not a fan of Formula 1, I thought that the inclusion of the psychology behind the sport, fitted perfectly into context of what was going on in the main body of the story. Even though this did have some sad elements to the story, this novel had an upbeat and positive message.

Is this worth a read?

This is a must read for anyone who loves animals or enjoys motor racing.

'May I Have Your Attention Please?' by James Corden

Publisher: Arrow Books

ISBN: 978-0-099-56023-4

Length: 341 Pages

Opening Line: 'I've always thought that the first few lines of any book would be the hardest to write.'

The 'Blurb': 'So... the story of my life. I've often thought about this moment, about what it would be like to write my memoirs. I always thought it would make me feel important. It doesn't. If anything it makes me feels a little strange.

The truth is, I should never have been this famous guy. I wasn't the cool, clever, good-looking boy at school. But I always dreamt of it, hoped for it, longed for it: throughout school when I was disruptive, in my teens when I tried to form my own boy band, and through hundreds of auditions for parts which were met with constant rejection.

Until finally I co-wrote 'Gavin and Stacey'. And my whole life changed. This is that story. The story of how I found myself here, talking to you.'

Review:

Being a fan of the British comedy 'Gavin and Stacey' and the actor James Corden, I thought that this book would be interesting to read. Corden's chatty, easy style of writing is engaging and easy to identify with. There are many times throughout this book in which I laughed out loud. Also as a wannabe writer, I was interested to read about the process that took place when James Corden and Ruth Jones set about writing 'Gavin and Stacey'. The book has loads of photographs of James growing up and also some of the benchmarks (like his character 'Smithy') which have marked his career.

One criticism I would have, would be that on occasion, Corden gushes so much about some of the directors/ actors he has worked with, that to me, he almost sounds insincere.

Is this worth a read?

If you like James Corden or 'Gavin and Stacey', then yes, this is worth a read. This is an easy going, funny book that I enjoyed.

Edited by karen.d

'War Horse' by Michael Morpurgo

Publisher: Egmont

ISBN: 978-1-4052-2666-0

Length: 182 Pages

Opening Line: 'In the old school they use now for the Village Hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.'

The 'Blurb': 'A powerful story of the truest of friendships in the worst of wars from the award-winning former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo.'

Review:

Having seen the film adaptation of this novel, I was interested to see how it differs from the original text. The plot of the novel 'War Horse' may be slightly simpler than the film version, but I think it is its simplicity, that makes this book more powerful. Even though this is a children's book, Morpurgo doesn't dumb down the effect that the war has on the soldiers and horse involved in the fighting and neither does it glamourize it. I did have some trepidation about the fact that a horse is the narrator of this story, but I think it works. This isn't a cute story about a horse, but a powerful message that war is useless and not everyone who is involved, wants to be there.

Is this worth a read?

If you love animals or a book with heart, then yes I would suggest reading this book. It would also be a great book to share with children, to educate them about the effects of war.

I really enjoyed War Horse, Karen. :) I managed to read it just before I went to see it at the cinema. Have you seen the film?

I love Gavin and Stacey! I also liked James and Ruth Jones when they appeared in the ITV drama Fat Friends. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I really enjoyed War Horse, Karen. :) I managed to read it just before I went to see it at the cinema. Have you seen the film?

Yes I saw the film before reading the novel, that's partly the reason why I wanted to read the book. I wanted to see how much it differed from the film.

I thought the film was great - it was quite a good adaptation I thought. :)Plus it had Benedict Cumberbatch in it!

Yes it is a very good adaptation though. Anything with Benedict Cumberbatch is always good!

• 2 weeks later...

'Sunday Snippet'

I haven't done a 'Sunday Snippet' for a while due to personal reasons, but I thought I would post one from my latest read 'World Without End' by Ken Follett:

Page 266 : 'Gwenda got up while it was still dark.'

Having read 'Pillars Of The Earth' I was looking forward to reading this novel but so far, I'm quite disappointed. I'm not even sure I want to continue with this.

Do I continue or do I give up reading this?

I stuck with World Without End, but I remember being disappointed having absolutely loved Pillars Of The Earth. If I recall correctly, there never seemed to be much plot - it just seemed like cunning scheme after scheme, which I found tedious. How far are you into it? For what it's worth, it doesn't get better; it just keeps the same dull tone throughout.

I enjoyed World Without End Karen but i agree with Bobbly it isn't as good as Pillars of the Earth,i think if you haven't got into it by now your probably not going to.

I'm just finding the characters and plot rather weak. Part of me wants to finish, but the other half is dying to get stuck in to the new books that arrived this morning!

I enjoyed World Without End Karen but i agree with Bobbly it isn't as good as Pillars of the Earth,i think if you haven't got into it by now your probably not going to.

You're right, I'm not enjoying this at all. So I have decided to give this one up. It got to the point where I was only reading this because of a sense of obligation rather than enjoyment and that's not how reading should be. So now I'm reading 'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins and enjoying it a lot more.

Well, I managed to read 'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins in lest than 3 days, so it shows how different the reading experience can be, when you find the right book! I will write a proper review of it later, but I think that 'The Hunger Games' is one of the best book trilogies, I have ever read.

'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic

ISBN: 978-1-407109-36-7

Length: 472 Pages

Opening Line: 'I clasp the flask between my hands even through the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.'

Review:

The writing in this book is intelligent, intense and the suspense Collins creates in this book had me racing through, to find out what happened next. It's not often that I read a book quickly, but I finished this book in less than three days, because I couldn't put this book down!

One slight complaint would be that some of the second half of the novel was a little similar to the first book, but there were enough surprises in there, to make this book different. The cliff hangers left at the end of this book, make me desperate to find out what happens next.

Is this worth a read?

Yes. I think that this is a fantastic trilogy, which is not just confined to a teenage audience.

• 3 weeks later...

'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery

Publisher: Gallic Books

ISBN: 978-1-906040-1-85

Length: 320 Pages

Opening Line: ' "Marx has completely changed the way I view the world," declared the Pallieres boy this morning, although ordinarily he says nary a word to me.'

Review: It's not often that I re-read books, there are so many new books that I want to read that I have the time. However when the BCF book group decided to choose 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' as one of their reads, I decided to see if I would enjoy this, second time around.

I must admit, that I found this book difficult to get into at first. I found it quite odd that a grown woman felt the need to hide her enjoyment of philosophy, culture and art, although as I read on, I could understand why. The writing style within this novel is excellent. It's intelligent, but also conveys warmth and charm that is a pleasure to read. I also found the way in which the story was told from two main character interesting. However I felt that Paloma, the twelve year old neighbour of Renee, the building's concierge, more likeable.

In general I did enjoy this book, but found some of the complex ideas and theologies that were put across in this novel, rather hard to get my head around. In it's favour however, it's a refreshing change to be challenged by a fiction novel.

Is this worth a read?

If you want to read something that is both challenging but entertaining, then read this book.

I tend to gravitate towards books that are challenging, that make me think and this one had a nice balance about

I must admit that I have had the tendency to shy away from challenging books, but after reading 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog', I think I might try a few more books that are not just easy reads. I've started with 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes, a novel that I have had for months but I have been too intimidated to read. It's good so far......