Brian's 2012 Book Log

Brian.

Going Buddhist by Peter J. Conradi

9781904977018.jpg

Synopsis

About twenty years ago, Peter Conradi's life hit the bumpers, and he began suffering from terrifying panic attacks. This book is his account of the new life-journey he embarked on back then, when, with the help of his friend and mentor Iris Murdoch, he began to explore Buddhism. Full of wise comedy, this is a self-help book for cynics, in which Conradi seeks to explain the beauty of Buddhism, a religion now more relevant than ever to Westerners, perishing from the nihilism of the age.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

I am going to do this review a little different to my usual ones. Instead of saying what I think about the style of writing I am going to look more at the content. The main reason for this is that its non-fiction and although I have read about Buddhism extensively I am no expert. I should also add that this is the second time I have read this, I'm not sure why I decided to pick it off the bookcase, it just jumped out at me.

I will start off by saying that I really dislike the fact that in the synopsis this is labelled as a self-help book. I have nothing against self-help books, I have read a few and they all have raised some good point with me. However, as far as my experience goes, slef help books are set out in a way that it tell you what steps to take. I always think these are set up like manuals for life because at the end of the day thats what they aim to be.

This book however is more about Conradi's thoughts on how Buddhism applies to western life along with some history of the Shambhala lineage. It also contains information about how to meditate and certain aspects of Buddhist life but at no point did I find it at all preachy. I also find the mention in the synopsis that he embarks on a 'new life journey' a bit misleading with regards the content. There is no denying that his decision and luck in deciding to enquire has had a huge effect on his life. However, it does not contain 'I was rich and unhappy, I found Buddha and now everything amazing' which is what I think it is pointing towards.

I really liked the book, it lays some facts down that are often mis-understood with regards to Buddhism and also explores some of the difference in the sects. This isn't a theoretical exercise but just covers a few main differences between the differing regions without imposing what is the correct approach.

Also mixed in along the way are stories about Iris Murdoch, an author and Buddhism who became his mentor along the way. The tales he tell about her and their discussions remind me a lot of the stories about Buddhist masters and their students even though she wasn't a 'master'. The relationship is an interesting one, there is obvious mutual respect but its clear that her speech is carefully measured and she challenges him along the way. In a lot of respects he does the same to her, sometime on purpose, other times by complete accident.

The only reason I haven't given the book 5/5 is that at times Conradi's approach is a bit wordy. I don't think that this is intentional, I just think that he has a better education and grasp of the psychology of the mind. At no point is it over the top and I would say 99% of it I understood without having to consult a dictionary to confirm the meaing of certain words. I would recommend this book as the 2nd to read for anyone interested in looking at a western approach to Buddhism. The 1st I would recommend is Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor which is a fantastic introdution and a book I have read many times.

4/5 (I really liked it)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am unsure where to go next with my reading, I have a large TBR list and managed to clear some space today by donating a load of books to a local charity shop. I have 2666 by Roberto Bolano sitting on the shelf which I want to read this year so I guess I should make a start on it soon. The thing is, its 900 pages long so I am going to read it alongside other books to prevent fatigue. I decided that if I can read 10 pages a day (an easy thing to do) then I'll get through it in 90 days.

That just leaves me which what to read alongside it next, ive got a few titles in mind but I just can't seem to decide. I have Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance which comes highly recommended to me by one of my work mates. I also have The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo, The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx, I, Robot and various others to choose from. It really shouldn't be that difficult as I find it to decide.

Kidsmum - If you want I can send you the book then you can read it at your leisure and return it when done.

A quick update, I am just over 100 pages into 2666 and so far I'm finding it ok. It seems to me that so far it has all been about building the characters and their relationships to each other. The story is just heading into Mexico so hopefully it starts to absorb me a bit better from here on in. One thing I have noticed is that Bolano like to repeat certain things which I find a little needless.

Kidsmum - If you want I can send you the book then you can read it at your leisure and return it when done.

Thanks for the kind offer Brian but I have a stack of books I want to get through so I don't know when I'd get round to reading it :smile: Good to read your getting on okay with 2666 it is a bit of a daunting book which is probably why I keep putting off reading it.

Thanks for the kind offer Brian but I have a stack of books I want to get through so I don't know when I'd get round to reading it :smile: Good to read your getting on okay with 2666 it is a bit of a daunting book which is probably why I keep putting off reading it.

OK, but the offer still stands if you want to read it in the future.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

20kunderseaverne.jpeg

Synopsis

'The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides.'

Scientist Pierre Aronnax and his colleagues set out on an expedition to find a strange sea monster and are captured by the infamous and charismatic Captain Nemo and taken abroad the Nautilus submarine as his prisoners. As they travel the world's oceans, they become embroiled in adventures and events beyond their wildest dreams. Visionary in its outlook, Vern's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a legendary science fiction masterpiece.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

The cover I have used above is merely for effect, the copy I managed to find at my local charity bookshop was printed in 1955 and so I just a light blue hardback. It's the kind of book which reminds me of reading a similar sized collection of Brer Rabbit stories when I was a nipper. I hadn't intended to read this so soon but I enjoyed Journey to the Centre of the Earth so much that I just couldn't wait.

I knew nothing of the story before hand and I am glad I didn't as it only added to my enjoyment. I absolutely loved this, probably more in fact than Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I love the sense of adventure which Verne manages to capture. The small details also add real depth the story like all good science fiction. He mentions manometers used to measure depth and how the craft is propelled and steered. How he came up with this at a time when this kind of transport was almost un heard of is quite simply amazing.

Again, there are few characters but by the end of the book they are fully formed people that draw an emotive reaction to their reactions and decisions. There are a few similarities with the charcters, a scientific 'master', a loyal 'servant' and a 'guide' of sorts.

I simply have to read my way through all of Jules Verne's work now. Only 52 other novels to go :D

5/5 (It was amazing)

How to Pracitice (The Way to a Meaningful Life) by the Dalai Lama

772776.jpg

Synopsis

How To Practise is a major inspirational work, by one of the world's greatest spiritual teachers. It is broken down into the basic steps to enlightenment: how to practice morality, how to practice meditation, and how to practise wisdom, whilst simultaneously delving deeper into His Holiness' more general teachings, his spirit, wisdom and sense of humour. The book, meant to be used as part of daily practice, is easy to understand and filled with anecdotes. It includes guidance on peace of mind, generosity, compassion, and much more besides. Beautifully packaged, this is the ultimate gift from the Dalai Lama, and a wonderful gift to give to anyone interested in having a richer, more fulfilled life.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

I've read this book previously, many years ago so I thought I should revisit it. When I picked it off the bookshelf it had a bookmark stuck in so it appears I tried to read it again in 2005 but gave up about half way through.

I don't agree entirely with the above synopsis when it mentions that it is easy to understand. Whilst this is true in the most part, the later sections of the book are very hard going and I would have thought that a reader with little or no prior knowledge of Buddhist psychology would have complete brain melt reading it. It does lend it self to being a long term guide/companion to buddhist study and that is where it is aimed.

The Dalai Lama does have a good way with words and his explaination of topics in general is very good, especially for the uninitiated. It should also be noted that he does not shy away from controversial topics which some scholars avoid like the plague.

The Dalai Lama has written many books which deal with themes in everyday life with a Buddhist slant in it. Whilst this certainly isn't one of those and for this reason and the complexity of the later chapters I have given in 2/5. It's an interesting read but by no means an easy one.

2/5 (It was ok)

Edited by Brian.

I've decided to knock 2666 on the head for the time being. I'm over quarter of the way through and it's still not doing anything for me. My TBR pile is growing and growing thanks to this place. I've gone from buying maybe 20 a year to having bought about 40 already this year. Life is too short to carry on reading things that I'm not really enjoying.

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

002Bantam.jpg

Synopsis

The three laws of Robotics:

1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm

2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With these three, simple directives, Isaac Asimov changed our perception of robots forever when he formulated the laws governing their behavior. In I, Robot, Asimov chronicles the development of the robot through a series of interlinked stories: from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future--a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete.

Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world--all told with the dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction that has become Asmiov's trademark.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

I decided to make this my next read because I picked it up cheap at a charity shop and I think it's on the 1001 books list. Ive not really delved too far into the world of sci-fi so I didnt think there would be too many better places to start than Isaac Asimov. I have seen the movie of the same name but knew very little about the original book.

I was surprised and delighted in equal measures with the fact that the book is a collection of short stories and bares almost no resemblance to the movie. There are some characters with the same name like Susan Calvin but not much more. The short stories are all linked together by both Calvin and the 3 rules of robotics mentioned above.

I found all of the short stories very engaging and I couldn't wait to read the next one in the book once I had finished the one I was reading. I found the style very relaxed and sparse, allowing the meat of the tale of draw you in.

I liked this book so much that I went out and bought Foundation which I have already started. It's the first in a trilogy and I am really looking forward to reading all three in the series. Even if you are not a sci-fi fan I would recommend that you read I, Robot.

4/5 (I really liked it)

Edited by Brian.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Despite all this I found it to be a pretty readable even if it is very wordy. I decided to split reading this with an other book and read mainly at work. I found this to be a bit tricky because although readable I found that I had to concentrate on it. I certainly couldn't read it and take it all in with a TV on in the background for example but it didn't make me want to cut my eyes out like Thomas Hardy does.

:lol: Yes, thank you! :lol:

Sincerely,

a Tess hater

:giggle:

Slam by Nick Hornby

I feel so bad that as a result of our book swap you ended up with this Hornby which you didn't much like :( But at least you got a few laughs! That's way more than I did :) And rest assured, I've read maybe 5-6 Hornbys and this was the worst, and I've liked the other ones just fine, or have even loved them. So please do give Hornby another chance :)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Wow, you really liked this! Maybe I should try some Jules Verne, too. I had no idea he's written that many novels, though :o

Words can't describe how much I hated Tess, I was forced to read it at school. Don't feel bad, I took a punt and it was ok, it just didnt dazzle me, I won't let it put me off Hornby. You should check out some Jules Verne for sure, it will help you tick off a few more on the 1001 list :D

Words can't describe how much I hated Tess, I was forced to read it at school.

It was mandatory reading for me, too, otherwise I would never have finished it. I just wanted to pull my hair and strangle all the characters and oh god it was painful. You are my new best bud for hating Tess as much as I do :lol:

Although I have to ask: have you ever read anything else by Hardy? Are you tempted, or are you determined never to set eyes on any of his novels?

Although I have to ask: have you ever read anything else by Hardy? Are you tempted, or are you determined never to set eyes on any of his novels?

I haven't read anything else by Hardy, my reading of classics is pretty lacking at the moment. I would give something else by him a shot if I found it cheap in a second hand book store. He wouldn't get much leeway though, a hint of annoyance and it would go out the window.

I haven't read anything else by Hardy, my reading of classics is pretty lacking at the moment. I would give something else by him a shot if I found it cheap in a second hand book store. He wouldn't get much leeway though, a hint of annoyance and it would go out the window.

Understood :) I applaud you for having the guts to give him a second chance but I also agree that in the future he won't be given as many pardons as other novelists. I'm going with a pretty similar approach myself. I already have a copy of The Mayor of Casterbridge by him, some members on the forum enjoyed reading it.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

200px-Foundation_cover.jpg

Synopsis

Long after Earth was forgotten, a peaceful and unified galaxy took shape, an Empire governed from the majestic city planet of Trantor. The system worked, and grew, for countless generations. Everyone believed it would work forever. Everyone except Hari Seldon.

As the great scientific thinker of his age, Seldon could not be ignored. Reluctantly, the Commission of Public Safety agreed to finance the Seldon Plan. The coming disaster was predicted by Seldon’s advances in psychohistory, the mathematics of very large human numbers, and it could not be averted. The Empire was doomed. Soon Trantor would lie in ruins. Chaos would overtake humanity. But the Seldon Plan was a long term strategy to minimise the worst of what was to come.

Two Foundations were set up at opposite ends of the galaxy. Of the Second nothing can be told. It guards the secrets of psychohistory. 'Foundation' is the story of the First Foundation, on the remote planet of Terminus, from which those secrets were withheld.

The epic story of the Foundation is one of the great classics of science fiction. For fifty years the innovative genius of Isaac Asimov has surged ahead of real time. He is the Grand Master of the genre.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

After enjoying I, Robot so much I decided to attack another Isaac Asimov title, Foundation. It was originally part of a trilogy but in later years more books were added including a prequel. There is a differing opinion as to what order they are best read but I decided on sticking with the first one published.

The basic premise follows the historic tale of the inhabitants of a planet called Terminus. Their path through time has been predicted by a psychohisotrial called Hari Seldon. The book covers a wide time span, focusing on different eras instead of one small time frame. As a result none of the characters are developed to a great extent, much the same as in I, Robot. I don't find this an issue as I actually really enjoy his economy of words and letting the story do the work.

I enjoyed the book but not as much as I enjoyed I, Robot. I am not sure why, I can't quite put my finger on it but it may have been down the fact that I, Robot contained a collection of short stories. I don't have a copy of the next book in the series so I wont be reading it as soon as I would like.

3/5 (I liked it)

After enjoying I, Robot so much I decided to attack another Isaac Asimov title, Foundation. It was originally part of a trilogy but in later years more books were added including a prequel. There is a differing opinion as to what order they are best read but I decided on sticking with the first one published.

I am currently rereading the Foundation series about 20 years after I first read and loved them. I started with Prelude to Foundation, and recently finished Foundation. I am enjoying them, but not as much as I think I did the first time around.

Hi Brian , I am enjoying your reviews, you made me laugh that your book buying has increased. You are in the right place.

Increased doesn't cover the half of it but at least the book I'm finished with now go to a good cause. I keep some of them but the majority go to charity stores. This place takes all the blame.

I am currently rereading the Foundation series about 20 years after I first read and loved them. I started with Prelude to Foundation, and recently finished Foundation. I am enjoying them, but not as much as I think I did the first time around.

As I understand it, Asimov thought that they should be read in the order they were published. A lot of fans think they should be read in the order of the history covered. I can imagine that reading them when they were published must have been mindblowing and I can see where a lot of modern sci-fi has a lot to owe Asimov.

As I understand it, Asimov thought that they should be read in the order they were published. A lot of fans think they should be read in the order of the history covered. I can imagine that reading them when they were published must have been mindblowing and I can see where a lot of modern sci-fi has a lot to owe Asimov.

Yes, they were real "Wow!" books the first time around for me, they must have been just amazing in the 1960s. I think the first time I read them, I read the original trilogy first and then the others; I can't quite remember why I decided to do it differently this time! Of the two I have reread, I enjoyed Prelude to Foundation more than Foundation. I will be making a start on Foundation and Empire soon.

I think they are held in such high esteem because Asimov lead the way in modern sci-fi writing. Although the characters don't seem to be that developed (to me at least) the plot and historic timeline covered is very rich. It manages to mix in many parts of life as we know it today like politics and war. I guess sci-fi writers today have the existence of space ships, anti gravity drives, atomic engines etc to call on. Things that most readers have heard of despite being purely fictional inventions by previous writers. Although he is not alone I would imagine that Asimov has played a huge part in that and helped shape modern sci-fi into what it is today.

I'm not a sci-fi fan in particular, in fact I've only read maybe half a dozen sci-fi books but I still enjoyed Foundation. The books I have seen on the shelves tend to be quite short so that means even if you don't really enjoy then its only a short read. Had any of them been 600 pages long I probably wouldn't have taken a chance.

Seeing as though Ooshie has read them both I'm sure she can add more experience of the books than I can.