Poppy's Paperbacks 2012

poppyshake

I have developed a cracking wiltshire accent :D and can sound like Phil Harding on a good day if you don't know who he is the one on Time Team who looks like what everyone thinks an archaeologist should look like (terrible grammar I know) although I was born in Essex and moved around loads as a child having a foreign mother does not help to blend in anywhere but it does make for hilarious interpretation of what she says.

btw how you enjoying UnLun Dun I loved it

Edited by pickle

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Poppy similar story ...I was born in Romford and we moved to Daventry when I was 7.... That was one of the new "Expanding towns" created in the 60's..it was filled up with all the overflow from London and Birmingham and (for some reason) quite a few Scots. I grew up speaking such a mish mash of accents that my parents and teachers used to despair, nobody could understand half of what I said. The "original" Daventry people had their own accent too. Later on when I moved to Rugby I came in contact with lots of Punjabi Indians (and married one of course) and picked up bits of that accent too.

That's the thing though now isn't it .. we all move around so much that you can't really tell where anyone is from .. we're all gypsies :D I had a penfriend from Romford once .. she was nuts!! .. she used to send me headless pictures of herself :o

What does my accent sound like to you, Kay? :)

You're quite posh Janet :smile: .. not Octavia posh but well spoken. I said to Alan that you reminded me of my friend Claire in as much as you sounded like her and she comes from Bedfordshire .. she's had tea with the Queen so very well connected.

I have developed a cracking wiltshire accent :D and can sound like Phil Harding on a good day

:D :D

btw how you enjoying UnLun Dun I loved it

I'm enjoying it though it terrifies me a bit .. not in that I'm scared (though that might happen) but in that all the creatures they've met are a little bit out there and I'm not good at visualising odd creatures (just ask VF about the Kragens :D) My imagination is so limited and it's an embarrassment because this is a YA book and as such I should be able to grasp it easily. The illustrations are fab and a big help but half the time I feel like I'm just about clinging on. It's not helping that I'm doing my usual thing of reading two or three books at one time and so it's not getting my full attention. I have a feeling though that once I've got the hang of it I'll be fine :smile:

You're quite posh Janet :smile: .. not Octavia posh but well spoken. I said to Alan that you reminded me of my friend Claire in as much as you sounded like her and she comes from Bedfordshire .. she's had tea with the Queen so very well connected.

:D :D

Gosh, do I really! I've lived in Somerset for longer than I lived in Kent now but I don't think I've picked up any of the Somerset burr, but neither did I really have the Kentish accent - I wasn't allowed to drop my aitches! :P I have picked up some of the Somerset phrases though!

I haven't met the Queen yet!

I wasn't allowed to drop my aitches! :P

My parents should have been stricter about it ... denied me my copy of Whizzer & Chips and a Scotch egg on Saturday or something :smile:

I have picked up some of the Somerset phrases though!

We had Australian girls living with us for about a year or so when I was fifteen. I picked up all sorts from them including 'Joke Joyce!' .. to this day I have no idea why they said it let alone why I say it :giggle2:The first day I met them they cracked up cos I called out 'Mum .. where's the 'oover' .. though really they should have been dead impressed that I did my own vacuuming at that age. I didn't actually ... but Mum had threatened me that my room had better be tidy and at the very last minute I realised it wasn't .. it wasn't 'Mum tidy' anyway :D

I haven't met the Queen yet!

This year maybe .. though she has got a lot on :D

We had Australian girls living with us for about a year or so when I was fifteen. I picked up all sorts from them including 'Joke Joyce!' .. to this day I have no idea why they said it let alone why I say it :giggle2:[/font] The first day I met them they cracked up cos I called out 'Mum .. where's the 'oover' ..

I recognised the saying but had to look it up to see its origins. It's a saying made famous by one of our most beloved comedians, Graham Kennedy. He used to say it to his 'wife' during a skit on a TV variety show called In Melbourne Tonight. He died in 2005 but was a terrific guy and very funny. I have his biography on my TBR pile and I have a few DVDs of his highlights from various shows (he had a long career), so I wouldn't be surprised to find the catchphrase on there. No one says that anymore, though. It was a product of its time. ;)

I recognised the saying but had to look it up to see its origins. It's a saying made famous by one of our most beloved comedians, Graham Kennedy. He used to say it to his 'wife' during a skit on a TV variety show called In Melbourne Tonight. He died in 2005 but was a terrific guy and very funny. I have his biography on my TBR pile and I have a few DVDs of his highlights from various shows (he had a long career), so I wouldn't be surprised to find the catchphrase on there. No one says that anymore, though. It was a product of its time. ;)

Oh dear Kylie .. I'm still saying it :giggle2:mostly to my Mum though cos she knows why I say it. It's nice to know the origins of it .. thanks for looking it up :friends0: I idolised those Australian girls .. they would give me a makeover and let me try on their stuff etc .. which as I was fifteen and they were in their twenties was well cool. I haven't seen them in eons but I found a couple of them on facebook and surprisingly they did still want to know me :D

Reading Goals for March 2012

Finish The Blue World - Jack Vance

Participate in the March reading circle (The Pied Piper - Nevil Shute)

World Book Night 2012 (Frankenstein - Mary Shelley/Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

Fantasy (Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch)

Long Been on the Shelf (Un Lun Dun - China Mieville)

Hmmmm not good. I'm about halfway through Un Lun Dun and halfway through Rivers of London and it wouldn't take a genius to work out that I could have finished one or the other of them if I hadn't tried to read them both simultaneously .. though Un Lun Dun is a 500 pager. Also I've read several stories that weren't on the list. I think I'll set myself less April goals because it's a bit limiting and I'm not disciplined. Like all things it started off well and then slid ... story of my life :D Very behind with reviews too ... will try to catch up this coming week.

Reading Goals for April 2012

Finish Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch/Un Lun Dun - China Mieville

Participate in the April reading circle (The Fifth Child - Doris Lessing)

World Book Night 2012 (Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl)

Science Fiction (Slaves of the Klau - Jack Vance)

blueworld.jpg

The Blue World - Jack Vance

Synopsis: Over twelve generations the descendents of a space crash on a world completely covered in water had managed to adapt to their marine culture. Living in villages built on giant clumps of sea plants, they survived on the flora and fauna of the sea. But they have always been at the mercy of the kragen - gigantic squid-like monsters that prey on their fish flocks, and on them. The biggest of these is King Kragen, with whom the colonists can communicate, who has to be appeased. But one man has had enough of a life of slavery and sacrifice. But how can he convince his fellow men that King Kragen must be killed? And how can that be achieved in a world without weapons?

Review: VF kindly sent me this as he knew I wanted to broaden my sci-fi horizons. Sci fi and me are getting on quite well this year, we are at the courting stage I think .. he's still turning up on time and buying chocolates and stuff and we've had some cosy nights in. It could go pear shaped later along the line but for now it's peachy.

I was a bit worried during the first few pages of The Blue World because I didn't know the jargon. I had to get my head around all the different castes (Bezzlers, Malpractors, Procurers, Intercessors, Peculators, Hoodwinks etc) .. how they lived and where .. (in the ocean on giant floating pads) .. my mind went into panic mode a bit but I just thought breathe (always good advice :D) and keep reading, all will become clear. VF had kindly told me that it was all quite easy peasy and nothing needed explanation so this immediately made me feel that it would be totally incomprehensible to me because sci-fi can make me particularly obtuse but ... amazingly ... by the end of the first chapter .. it began to fall into place.

All in all Float society is quite good or it would be if it weren't for the dreaded kragens (huge sea creatures) and in particular King Kragen who is an absolute menace. Now one of the few problems I had with the book was that I couldn't picture the kragens .. it wasn't the fault of the writer who gave more than adequate descriptions it was the fault of my imagination which get's rattled if I have to imagine anything more obscure than a cardboard box. I tried but every time they were mentioned I pictured something different. Words were used to describe them that I didn't fully understand .. palps, mandibles, vanes, maw??? .. and though Googling it would have clarified everything in five mins I just kept blundering on in the hope that my mind would conjure up the relevant shape but sadly it never did. I wasn't sure if the cover pic was representational either but couldn't quite reconcile it with what was being described. VF has explained them to me now .. I should have asked him earlier. One thing though was clear .. the kragens are vast and King Kragen is the largest of all and extremely intimidating. The main benefit of having him around (and there aren't many :D) is that he keeps all the other kragens at bay .. so in other words he operates some monstrous protection racket but that's not much of a consolation when he's busy munching away on your sponges (alas not cake .. marine vegetation) which is also your main source of food. He has a terrible temper and can wreak havoc like no other when displeased ... upset him and you soon find yourself looking for a new place to live .. not because you've run away but because he's trashed it. There's a commandment too that says that none but King Kragen can kill a kragen .. oh yes, he's got it all sewn up.

Sklar Hast is our hero .. he's an assistant Master Hoodwinker (someone in charge of the communication towers from which signals are sent from float to float) and is both talented and ambitious enough to become Master Hoodwinker and would be if it wasn't for the machinations of Semm Voiderveg, an Intercessor with a bit of a grudge. Sklar is fed up of appeasing the kragens and sets about trying to convince the others that the only way forward is to destroy them. I liked him .. he was very forthright and headstrong. In real life I suspect this would make me think him bolshy but in this fictional world he was just what was needed .. a clear leader. Amongst those willing to help him is Scientist Roger Kelso whose expertise is crucial to the quest. However, not everyone wants rid of the kragens .. far from it and chief amongst those who see King Kragen's presence as a positive benefit (in a 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' way) is Barquan Blasdel who starts off as a bit of a jumped up sneering bureaucrat and ends up as a full blown despot. I liked him too in a love-to-hate type way .. he grew so monstrous that he started widening his epaulettes and wearing a cloak .. I'm not sure if he twirled his moustache and laughed evilly to himself but in my mind he definitely did. Semm Voiderveg also see's King Kragen's protection as paramount and whilst Sklar is busy calling for the death of the kragens, Voiderveg and Blasdel declare death upon him.

Sklar has a love interest also .. Meril .. she's just as forthright and single minded as he is and this leads to conflict between them .. there's also a love rival on the scene or someone else who Meril's father is more keen for her to marry (yes, that'll be Voiderveg again) so the situation between them is fraught and tense .. you're not told everything and at the time I was hoping for more but then I decided that I rather liked not knowing because even though I would have been really nettled if Jane hadn't told us that 'happy for all her maternal feelings was the day on which Mrs Bennett got rid of her two most deserving daughters' I'm not keen on the 'Reader, I married him' scenario .. I usually prefer my own version.

There is a great conclusion to the story, a sort of very traditional battle of good versus evil that kept me up late chewing my nails. Thank you again VF for trusting me with one of your most beloved stories :friends0: ... I must admit I would have felt absolutely terrible if I had hated it but thankfully I loved it.

9/10

Great reviews Poppy I am always so impressed by the way you make them so funny I can never express whats in my head about half the books I read probably why I keep mine short and don't really say anything.

I meant to come back earlier and comment on UnLunDun it is worth sticking to for China Mieville its almost clear not that I don't like his other work but they are much harder to grasp, this is if possible a slightly more twisted version of Neil Gaimans Neverwhere partly because its considered a YA novel. I hope you enjoy Ben Aaronovitches Rivers of London, I have read that and Whispers of Soho and can't wait to get stuck into the 3rd one out this year. Btw have you read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere you might enjoy it if not.

Happy Reading

Sci fi and me are getting on quite well this year

That can't be right. Where's the real Poppy and what have you done to her? :angry::D

Great review, glad you enjoyed some science fiction after all :smile:

Great review!! Thanks Poppyshake. Hopefully not your last Jack Vance story....

Thanks VF :smile: .. I hope to be embarking on Slaves of Klau this month but I must admit I am a bit disturbed about Servants of the W*nkh .. the mind reels :giggle2:

Great reviews Poppy I am always so impressed by the way you make them so funny I can never express whats in my head about half the books I read probably why I keep mine short and don't really say anything.

I meant to come back earlier and comment on UnLunDun it is worth sticking to for China Mieville its almost clear not that I don't like his other work but they are much harder to grasp, this is if possible a slightly more twisted version of Neil Gaimans Neverwhere partly because its considered a YA novel. I hope you enjoy Ben Aaronovitches Rivers of London, I have read that and Whispers of Soho and can't wait to get stuck into the 3rd one out this year. Btw have you read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere you might enjoy it if not.

Happy Reading

Thanks pickle :friends0:.. I'm getting on fine with UnLunDun now .. my imagination was letting me down but his drawings have really helped. The story is gripping me now and so is Rivers of London .. I hardly know which one to pick up .. what a ridiculous dilemma to land yourself in :D I have read Neverwhere and luuurrrrrrrvvvvvved it. I'm a big fan of Neils anyway and that's my fave of his.

That can't be right. Where's the real Poppy and what have you done to her? :angry::D

She's quite happy .. I've entrapped her in some virtual book reading forum where she thinks she's conversing with like minded people .. I'm gonna wait until she gets really comfortable and then send in some Assassin droids :rolol:

Great review, glad you enjoyed some science fiction after all :smile:

Thanks Steve :smile:It might become a habit .. you never know. This time next year I could be tackling Iain M Banks (outside Waterstones .. and I'll be telling him to stop putting the 'M' in or we can't be friends :D)

This time next year I could be tackling Iain M Banks (outside Waterstones .. and I'll be telling him to stop putting the 'M' in or we can't be friends :D)

:lol:

But then I might buy one of his non-sf books by mistake, and that would just be wrong :D

I reckon I might know a book or two you might like, but I'm too scared to recommend them in case you don't :lol:

Thanks VF :smile: .. I hope to be embarking on Slaves of Klau this month but I must admit I am a bit disturbed about Servants of the W*nkh .. the mind reels :giggle2:

No need to worry poppy the W*nkh are quite a nice race......compared to the Chazch and the Dirder.....best stay away from the Pnume. The Planet Of Adventure series! One of his best. I used to read this to my kids at night before bed. Every one deals with a different alien race . You would like it.

I have added Jack Vance as one of the authors I need to check out, I have never really read a sci-fi book before, at least not one I can remember.

Oh, I'm so sorry poppyshake, where was naughty frankie when you needed her? :(:empathy: I'm here now, and I have your back, sister!

Everybody, lay off of poppyshake's case, Frankenstein is a dreadful and a boring book!!

Hee hee hee :giggle:

Edited by frankie

I can’t believe I’ve missed your review of Love Story, eventhough I’ve posted on your thread after you wrote it! :o I have to say that I didn’t know it was made into a movie after I’d read the book and people on here told me there was a movie.

I love the film but had never read the book and was pleasantly surprised by it. Not that it differs much from the film, but that's probably why I liked it.

I’m glad you were pleasantly surprised. Didn’t you just love the dialogue between the couple? :wub:

Alan was perfectish from the get-go. I was thinking of all the toads and super-rats that came before him (one of which I was married to for four years) I didn't meet Alan until I was in my late twenties and by then I had a sort of relationship train wreck behind me. I'm glad in a way though because straight away I recognised that he was a gem, maybe I wouldn't have otherwise.

I had no idea there were others before Alan, I’m quite shocked now! :o You two are such an amazing couple that I didn’t really think there could be a time when you two weren’t an item :blush:

Don't lower your expectations frankie ... there is someone out there just right for you .. and a very lucky man he is indeed

I will take your words of wisdom to heart and bear them in mind :smile2: And thank you :blush:

Is this your man?

jonathandavis.jpg

ooh la la

Yes that is definitely very much my man :lol: And going by the ooh la la you are not appalled either :giggle:

Birthday books have arrived

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky

Frankie: I’ve not read this, but I’ve read The Ball (if that was the title, I’m not 100% sure) and I liked it very much and I’ve always wanted to read more by her after that.

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Frankie: Excellent =)

Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

Frankie: This is on my wishlist, it’s a Rory Gilmore read. I know Kylie swears by it, so it ought to prove to be good!

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Frankie: I can’t wait to see what you make of it, I got a copy of my own last year.

A Room of Ones Own & Three Guineas - Virginia Woolf

Frankie: Wohoo for Woolf! =)

I don't think it's a series, just her second novel after The Observations.

Re: you people’s discussion on this: Does this mean someone has read The Observations? How was it? I bought it on a whim at a secondhand bookshop some years ago and I hope it’s good.

Red Dog - Louis de Bernieres

A great review! The book is already on my wishlist, but this reminded me that I really need to acquire a copy SOON. And watch the movie. I’m pretty sure I’ll love them both.

I knew there was a reason I liked her :D

So you are a doggy hater? =(

(other purchased books:)

Pied Piper - Nevil Shute: For the March Reading Circle ... I would have got a secondhand copy but I've long coveted Vintage's Nevil Shute covers

Frankie: Wise choice! I dare say the book was fabulous and I love that Vintage cover. In other words, jealous!

Virginia Woolf - Hermione Lee: No explanations necessary

Frankie: Indeed! :)

Horrible question *hangs head in shame* :DThough I believe I answered it before I'd read anything of Virginia's .. I might have stood a better chance now .. though I doubt it. I don't play the quiz very often these days because once you've got past the first few hundred questions they begin to get quite random and you are asked twenty questions about books that you've never heard of let alone read.

Horrible question indeed! :D Although it explains the whole thing if you answered the question before going Woolf-crazy. I can’t have that as my excuse :blush:

Haha .. I'm glad it wasn't a movie for it would have been a lot shorter. I've never heard of the last one though .. but now I look it up it says it was on TV for six episodes .. so only one was a movie anyway .. they've phrased the question wrong. Jack Nicholson as Mr Darcy :D.. the mind boggles :D

Ah, so it should’ve really said which pair hasn’t really gone on screen. Tut tut at the phrasing of the question! I went back to look at it and there were dozens of people commenting on how the question should’ve been re-phrased etc. I agreed, I was miffed, but the more I read the more I felt sorry for the person who came up with the question. Going by her avatar she is young-ish and I felt it was undue that so many felt compelled to have their (angry) say.

My daughter (the reading one) has just read Pride and Prejudice, her first Austen. She liked it so much she started reading it all over again straight away!! Then when she was at my flat last week we watched the first 3 episodes of the BBC version....she was in raptures of pure pleasure.

Aww that is so sweet! :)

I reckon I might know a book or two you might like, but I'm too scared to recommend them in case you don't :lol:

I'm willing to try anything ;).. but I'm not good with things which stretch the imagination. Once creatures start straying too far from 'wot we look like' .. I'm lost. There was a dustbin with arms and legs in Un Lun Dun as well as a plethora of other strange sh*t and tbh it was touch and go for a while :D .. thankfully the author illustrated .. he foresaw that I would be reading.

No need to worry poppy the W*nkh are quite a nice race......compared to the Chazch and the Dirder.....best stay away from the Pnume. The Planet Of Adventure series! One of his best. I used to read this to my kids at night before bed. Every one deals with a different alien race . You would like it.

Ok well I'll definitely be on the lookout now for his other stuff :smile: I have looked in some of the charity shops but haven't seen him yet.

Great review. I've added it to my wishlist. :smile:

Hope you enjoy it bobbly .. if you do remember I told you, if not blame VF :D

I have added Jack Vance as one of the authors I need to check out, I have never really read a sci-fi book before, at least not one I can remember.

It's only this year that I've started reading more sci-fi .. I've always been scared of it. It's going well so far (but now Steve is threatening me .. who knows :D) Stay away from the Pnume though apparently .. that way lies trouble :D

Edited by poppyshake