Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

The Somnambulist - Essie Fox

The Borrower - Rebecca Makkai

Gillespie & I - Jane Harris

Girl Reading - Katie Ward

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Visitation - Jenny Erpenbeck

A Room of Ones Own & Three Guineas - Virginia Woolf

I've got some birthday money too that I've put aside for books and an Amazon voucher so that's exciting :smile:

Last year Alan bought me an old bookcase from an antiques fair for my birthday. It was a bit tired and some of the glass was cracked but his intention was to paint it up for me and get the glass replaced which ... it has taken him a year to do :smile: It wasn't a particularly honest piece of furniture .. when Alan took it to bits he said it was made up of several different bookcases so this is yet another of it's re-incarnations. It's on the landing and it's dark there because there are no windows and only a tiny bit of borrowed light .. so it got a bit lost in the shadows. It's not in fact painted cream .. though it does look that way ... it's painted a kind of bluey grey .. but the interior is painted cream. Alan drew a little red heart on it for me which won't be able to be seen when the books go in. I wanted to take a pic of the books back in it but it's still downstairs because there are a lot of other renovations going on at the moment .. but I will take a pic when it's back in place again. That's the fun bit .. putting the books back in and I'm not so sure that the same books will go back in .. I might have a re-arrange. Still .. in lieu of 'Howards End' .. which I don't own .. I will be putting 'Howards End is on the Landing' back on the landing because I'm sure it wouldn't be happy anywhere else :D

post-5612-0-99767300-1330383273_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-28798600-1330383285_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-59463100-1330383300_thumb.jpg

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky

I loved this book when I read it a few years ago, in fact it was one of my top five books of the year, made especially interesting due to the story of the book itself being written and published. I've read another of hers called Fire In The Blood which I thought was even better, and I've got the remainder on my wishlist. :)

Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

This has been on my wishlist since Janet reviewed it; it sounds fantastic :smile2:

The Somnambulist - Essie Fox

We talked about this one last week! I'm glad you got it, and look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Gillespie & I - Jane Harris

Girl Reading - Katie Ward

Both of these have caught my eye a few times and are also on my wishlist. Gillespie & I keeps creeping higher and higher up, so I don't think it will be too long before I succumb to temptation! :giggle2:

Poppy

Great stack of books ! And the bookshelf is gorgeous .

Thank you Julie :smile: I am very happy to be surrounded by books. Next week or the week after I will go through a phase of being oppressed by them all and then I will come out the other side and be happy again .. I don't know why this happens but it always does.

Suite Française is an absolutely outstanding book. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thanks for the recommendation Geoff .. my Mum has great taste. She doesn't actually, I put it on my Amazon wishlist .. therefore I have great taste :smile:

I loved this book when I read it a few years ago, in fact it was one of my top five books of the year, made especially interesting due to the story of the book itself being written and published. I've read another of hers called Fire In The Blood which I thought was even better, and I've got the remainder on my wishlist. :)

I'm getting more excited by the minute :exc:

This has been on my wishlist since Janet reviewed it; it sounds fantastic :smile2:

Yes, it's only come to my notice through reviews on here .. which have all been excellent.

We talked about this one last week! I'm glad you got it, and look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Thanks Claire but you know what this means? .. I'll have to go back to Octavia's for The Snow Child :)

Both of these have caught my eye a few times and are also on my wishlist. Gillespie & I keeps creeping higher and higher up, so I don't think it will be too long before I succumb to temptation! :giggle2:

Gillespie and I is a bit of a tome ... I'm a bit daunted now I have it in my hands.

Ella Minnow Pea is a great book. So, so original and entertaining. I hope you enjoy it. :smile:

Thanks bobbly, I'm sure I will .. I flicked through it and it looks fascinating. I love the concept already :)

Ah well, it just has to be done, I'm afraid. :lol:

True lol .. she'll be pleased anyway :smile:

Miss Poppy

Is Gillespie a part 2 to The Observations ? I have it on my kindle,but have yet to read it .

No!!! don't say that .. it's not a sequel is it? *hurry's off to look it up* .. this is always happening to me :doh:

I don't think it's a series, just her second novel after The Observations.

Phew! life has gone rosy again :D thanks Claire :smile:

Julie! you just wanted to see me running around the internet didn't you? .. you wanted me to run off some of those birthday calories :D

Thanks Claire

And nope Poppy, I just thought it might be a second part ,but havent read the first yet,so thought you might have ,and then would know .

You don't NEED to run off calories. You have a model's figure .

Now ME ..... I'm Grandma -shaped .You know,squishy like an old pillow .

Edited by julie

You don't NEED to run off calories. You have a model's figure.

I really haven't .. you've only seen the top half of me which is reasonably in shape .. the bottom half has a mind of it's own .. and all it thinks about is cake :D

Now ME ..... I'm Grandma -shaped .You know,squishy like an old pillow .

Well who doesn't like squishy Grandma? She's much better than boney Grandma :smile:

reddog.jpg

Red Dog - Louis de Bernieres

Book Blurb: In early 1998 I went to Perth in Western Australia in order to attend the literature festival, and part of the arrangement was that I should go to Karratha to do their first ever literary dinner. Karratha is a mining town a long way further north. The landscape is extraordinary, being composed of vast heaps of dark red earth and rock poking out of the never-ending bush. I imagine that Mars must have a similar feel to it. I went exploring and discovered the bronze statue to Red Dog outside the town of Dampier. I felt straight away that I had to find out more about this splendid dog. A few months later I returned to Western Australia and spent two glorious weeks driving around collecting Red Dog stories and visiting the places that he knew, writing up the text as I went along. I hope my cat never finds out that I have written a story to celebrate the life of a dog.' Louis de Bernieres.

Review: Such a cute story. Red Dog isn't a particularly heroic dog .. he's just a character. Nearly everybody loves him although he doesn't belong to anyone in particular. He roams around making friends and just going wherever the wind blows him (and talking of wind it's amazing that he has so many human friends because his anti-social habits make life unpleasant for anyone unfortunate enough to share carspace with him .. and Red Dog is forever hitching lifts.) This story, based on true life, is told in anecdotal form. It's not overly sentimental although there are bits which bring tears to your eyes .. not everyone is kind to Red Dog and these flashes of vulnerability are all the more affecting because he is such a toughie normally. He has a way of charming his way into peoples lives so that they will feed and house him if need be, he seems to know which are the cars to run in front of (Red Dog's kamikaze way of hitching a lift) and which are the houses to sneak into for shelter and warmth, there is always a welcome and a bowl of food waiting though Red Dog is not at all averse to stealing food from a barbie if need be ... he's a bit of a rogue. He's seemingly unimpressed with the high life too preferring the rougher scrubland up North to the peppermint tree shininess of Perth. Red Dog doesn't like too much comfort.

Red Dog has his own statue in Australia which is quite an achievement for such a seemingly ordinary, flea bitten, dog .. but it's a testament to how much he was loved by those he came into contact with, people went to extraordinary lengths to help him out.

I loved the glossary at the back for non-Australians. I already knew a few words like barbie, dunny and sheila but I didn't know what an esky or a stubby was .. very enlightening.

You'd probably have to be a dog lover or an animal lover at any rate to really enjoy it. It's quite a simple story .. I believe at one time that it was written with children in mind and as such it's a move away from de Bernieres normal ironic style. Red Dog's a movie star now too I believe ... you'll definitely need your hanky for that one.

8/10

I saw Winkleman and her mate ripping the movie of Red Dog to pieces on Film 2012 last week. Shame!

Well it's probably not for everyone .. I haven't seen it but I imagine it's more of a feel good movie than a ground breaking one. Perhaps they don't like dogs :D .. or maybe the wrong dog was cast :D I don't take much notice of movie critics .. and what does Claudia know about it anyway? I bet if Red Dog had worn a pair of red louboutins with six inch heels she would have thought it all fab :D

I've always thought this. I don't mind her, but they should've given the film programme to Mark Kermode, imo.

Yes, he knows his subject and therefore you can respect his views .. but it's the Tom Cruise effect isn't it .. they think she looks prettier and will draw a bigger audience .. they don't care if she has to stand on a box ;)

Well I'm going to have to wade in on the Winkelman debate - I love her! Initially, I also wanted Mark Kermode to have taken over, but this way, I still get my 90min podcast with his rants on, plus I get Claudia and Danny's views too - what could be better than that! At least she gives her honest opinion, and she freely admits she doesn't have a film background which is why Danny is there to balance the view. I felt that towards the end of his reign, JR seemed to be so jaded by all the films he'd had to watch that there wasn't the spark in this reviews that he'd had at the beginning, and Claudia taking over has made it unmissable again.

I felt that towards the end of his reign, JR seemed to be so jaded by all the films he'd had to watch that there wasn't the spark in this reviews that he'd had at the beginning, and Claudia taking over has made it unmissable again.

I actually loathed the programme when Ross was hosting it - I stopped watching it altogether so, yeah, I'd much rather watch Claudia and Danny, at least they're fun :smile:

I like Claudia on ITT but not sure she's right for Film 2012 .. and she doesn't like dogs .. that's a shocker :D I don't watch it much actually so I can't judge her. I agree about Jonathan Ross .. he seemed bored with it after a while so the new format is preferable. At least they're not po-faced like the reviewers on Newsnight review .. good gracious .. films have to be so worthy to get a smile out of them.