Julie -2012 Book List

julie

We know a couple whose daughter was kidnapped and killed. I think she was 12 or so. Playing at the park across the street from her house . The guy grabbed her in front of 2 friends, and they found her dead under a pile of brush about 10 days later . The guy got the death penalty when she would have been 30-something .

Her dad and brothers went to view the execution . They are VERY religious,but they believed an eye for an eye . They thought they owed it to Krista to be there to make sure he got death. He never admitted to it ,never apologized. Just got a needle, medecine, took a couple breaths ,and died.

They had the poor family on the news right afterwards . They had no sense of happiness that he was dead,no sense of closure.

They felt EMPTY inside. Their girl was still dead,so no matter what they did to this guy,they were going home without their girl .

VERY sad.

Very sad .. and as a parent you would never get over it. For a start I doubt that little girl took a couple of breaths and then died .. she would have had a horrendous few last minutes so it's not an eye for an eye is it .. his death sounds peaceful.

Another thing, how do obese people remain obese in jail? ... it's not a holiday camp for goodness sake.

I know what you mean about dirtbags like this ... they don't deserve to live,but I think we let them off easy if we give them a shot and they don't wake up. They should have to live their entire life in a cage like an animal.that HAS to be worse punishment than getting a nice simple shot and floating off to wherever they float to .

I agree and perhaps I read too many headlines but you often get stories here about prisoners .. murderers even ... living the high life in jail and having access to the internet and TV etc and the gym. Now it might all be hogwash but it definitely riles you to think of them having any privileges. For petty crimes then yes, rehabilitation is important and necessary but for murderers of children etc ... I think they should be kept in a basic room with sufficient food and water. They have taken a life and they should forfeit their own. Obviously there are all sorts of grey areas but that's basically my position. As I said before Ian Huntley has tried to take an overdose etc and I just think why strive to keep him alive? ... the world doesn't need him in it but then obviously if life in prison is p*ssing him off so much that he wants to commit suicide then maybe it's a fit punishment. But there again he's one of the people that allegedly has a facebook account!! That sort of information is enough to make me walk around gnashing my teeth for days.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss Poppy

Yes I agree the child molesters and killers are the lowest of all. They have to keep them in separate areas of the prison here or the other prisoners kill them .

I don't know much about the one you are talking about. I'll have to do some research on that one. I agree they shouldnt have any privileges .They should sit in that little cell every day all day .

Miss Poppy

I don't know much about the one you are talking about. I'll have to do some research on that one. I agree they shouldnt have any privileges .They should sit in that little cell every day all day .

I could tell you all you need to know in three words .. but I'd better not .. they'd probably get me banned. In a nutshell .. evil monster in the guise of a friendly faced school caretaker ... he had been accused of sex offences several times but never convicted .. the two ten year old schoolgirls he killed knew and trusted him ... they passed his house on their way to buy sweets .. he invited them in .. you can guess the rest.

The two girls in their Manchester United t-shirts are indelibly printed on the brains of everyone living in the UK at the time (2002) .. a search went on for them for thirteen days .. Huntley appeared on TV during that time looking sad and talking of the impact it was having on the village. His girlfriend gave him a false alibi for which she served 21 months. He's serving life.

Wow, Poppy that story is so sad ,and also way too common. It happens over here so frequently any more .Little girls come up missing almost daily . It's sometimes a stranger,but also sometimes a person the girl knows and trusts . It's just a dangerous world out there for kids . Very scarey and worrisome,

Do you guys have very man UNSOLVED cases like that ? We have so many ,it may takes years (and many deaths) before a guy is captured. Sometimes they are never found ,and neither is the little girl's body . Just GONE . I can't imagine what it'd be like to be the family and never know .. torture .

Edited by julie

A Killing in Iowa -Rachel Corbett

Another Kindle book. More like a novella-sized book .

This is the story of a young girl whose mother lived with a boyfriendfor quite awhile ,along with this girl as a youngster. She remembers the guy from her younger years. The relationship went on for quite awhile,but then started going haywire .The guy eventually moved out and then in with another girlfriend .

He ended up being found dead in the house,along with the girlfriend .

The author tries to go back in time and investigate a bit further into what happened in this guy's life & death .

It was ok,nothing spectacular ,but one more "short" book done . 2/5

Haunted by Willow Cross

Another Kindle book ,full of "true ghost stories " by the author Willow Cross . It just had little tidbits of stories that the authoer supposedly had in her life so far. I like reading about ghosts and do believe in them,but it seems hard for me to believe that one person would have just happened to live in so many haunted places .

I've lived in one in 54 years . Anyhow, it was ok,since I like ghost stories ,it was ok . 2/5.

• 2 weeks later...

Gillespie and I by Jane Harris . 4/5

This book was pilched from one that Miss Poppy recently received .It sounded so good, I gave it a shot ,and thankfully,it has yanked me out of my long reading slump I have been in ,although it took me a long time to complete ,mainly because I had too much outside interference on other issues to give it a proper amount of time,or it would have been done much sooner .

This book was terrific ,and not sure how to post much of a review without giving anything away .

Let's just say I went into it blindly ,so didn't know anything of what was to come . It starts with an English lady who is unmarried,so free to visit other places and not having any ties to hold her to one spot,so she ended up going to Scotland for a visit .She visited an art gallery ,and met a portion of a Scottish family ,one who was a painter,trying to make his mark in the art world . She unexpectedly makes their aquaintance ,gets invited to their home and begins getting to know them all well .

Let's just say that about 1/3 of the way through the book,you begin having suspicions that she may be more interested in the family than is proper .

The story goes on in this same way for awhile,then BAM -- out of nowhere a tragic event occurs and the book becomes a totally different type story than you originally think it will be .

The second half has you on pins and needles,wondering what will happen .At this point, the story is being told in 2 voices -- the younger version,then the older lady telling of her past life and what happened ,so it flips back and forth. Then you have TWO stories you are trying to keep up with ,wondering how each one will end .

I think I'd better stop here,since giving any more away will totally ruin the surprise effect .

If anyone else reads this, I'd LOVE to hear what your TAKE at the end is ..... :)

Claire

I know what you mean ,you get a really huge pile of books that you want to read,plus all the books you already have waiting,so it's hard to get to them all ,isn't it ? If I would have had a paper copy of one, I'd be happy to give it to you,but I got mine off our library website for my eReader .

I plan on trying The Observations here soon too ,which is also by the same lady. I have had it on my Kindle for a long time .

Thanks for dropping in for a visit :)

Edited by julie

What a great review Julie :smile: I wasn't going to read it but I just couldn't help it and it's made me want to read the book even more now .. very intriguing. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it and that it lifted you from your reading slump :friends0: Hope your next read is a good'un :D

Julie

That's kind of you to think of that, but I'm desperately trying to read only the books I already own at the moment, and I have to say, I'm actually enjoying reading the ones I've been putting off for a good few years! I'll be so glad to get my TBR shelf down to single figures, and then I can treat myself to buying whatever I want to read next on my Kindle. There will be a few paperbacks that will still make their way into the house, but I think I'll be 90% Kindle. Gillespie and I will definitely be making an appearance on my Kindle at some point though ;)

Chesil

Yep, I understand completely . All the paper books laying around then if you have a Kindle, you feel that you should be using it too . I'd want to complete as many paper books as possible, then you could concentrate mostly on your Kindle afterwards .

I feel guilty if I don't use my Kindle, since the Hubster bought it for me, then the Fire, then he bought me a Nook from a friend of his who bought it and decided he liked the Kindle better .

This might sound stupid, but I like the Nook better to use to READ from than the Kindle ,but I don't have the Kindle Touch,so maybe I'm comparing unfairly .

The Nook Touch is made a little more SQUARE ,plus has a rubberized back,and the front has a wide rubberized band on it,so it makes it so much more easy to hold and read from . The BAD thing about the Nook is that their books are higher priced (many times ) then the Kindle book is,so you really don't want to spend money foolishly by purchasing the same book for the Nook at about 4 bucks more a crack than it'd cost you on the Kindle .Not true on all their books, but the ones I have looked into all seem to be that way .

Anyhow, I'm about at the point of having too many gadgets to read from . I use the Fire a lot for watching videos or dojng online searches, etc ,but wouldnt choose it to read from unless it was dark and you didnt want to turn on the lights. It's too heavy to really be comfortable as a reader otherwise .

I just noticed your TBR totals and how many you have chipped off it. You are doing GREAT !

Hi there VF

Good to hear from you . :) How's life been going ?

I think you'll like the Gillespie book. Very different ,with some surprises thrown in . I think it's best ,too to try to chip away at your books before switching to mainly Kindle reads ,that way you can start out with a clean slate,so to speak .

Thanks for dropping in .

• 3 weeks later...

Cold Water Crossing is a book based on a true story about a double murder that took place back in 1873 on a small island off the coast of New England called Smuttynose Island. It was a small barren piece of rock with a couple of buildings. An old hotel, and a few houses ,with a very small number of people living there. It tells of a young couple who came to our country from Norway to make a new life . They made a home there on the island ,then sent for another brother and sister to come live with them . The men began a career as fishermen ,making a fairly good living ,gradually hiring another man to help them on occasion .

One night when the men were back on the mainland loading bait onboard their boat ,someone snuck onto the island and committed an atrocious crime . I'll leave the rest ,since to tell anymore would be to give away too much of the story . I read another book that was also based on the same story,but it was more of a novel ,by Anita Shreve called The Weight of Water . It was very good ,so I thought I'd read this one to see how much it matched with the other . They are pretty close in content and both interesting stories if you like books about these old crimes that happened long ago . 3/5

The Sinking of the Titanic - Bruce Caplan

This one was more or less a repeat of a book I read on the Titanic MANY years back. I was probably a teenager at the time . This was interesting and told a little more detail about the AFTER effects of the Titanic .Maybe the other one did too,but I didnt remember it concentrating a lot on what happened to the survivors, it seemed to concentrate more on the building of the ship, etc . This one was interesting to hear more about some of the main people who were on board, the ones that survived and didnt . A little bit more personalized look at a major tragedy and the people involved. 3/5

Edited by julie

I am very intrigued by Gillespie and I, think I will add it to my TBR list!

Cold Water Crossing is a book based on a true story about a double murder that took place back in 1873 on a small island off the coast of New England called Smuttynose Island. It was a small barren piece of rock with a couple of buildings. An old hotel, and a few houses ,with a very small number of people living there. It tells of a young couple who came to our country from Norway to make a new life . They made a home there on the island ,then sent for another brother and sister to come live with them . The men began a career as fishermen ,making a fairly good living ,gradually hiring another man to help them on occasion .

One night when the men were back on the mainland loading bait onboard their boat ,someone snuck onto the island and committed an atrocious crime . I'll leave the rest ,since to tell anymore would be to give away too much of the story . I read another book that was also based on the same story,but it was more of a novel ,by Anita Shreve called The Weight of Water . It was very good ,so I thought I'd read this one to see how much it matched with the other . They are pretty close in content and both interesting stories if you like books about these old crimes that happened long ago.

I was going through your reading log and my eyes caught the name Smuttynose Island and I immediately thought of the double murder and the book by Anita Shreve, which I absolutely loved (it's also been made into a movie which I really enjoyed, by the same name. Sarah Polley and Ciaran Hinds are in it, both favorites of mine. I think there's also Sean Penn and Elizabeth Hurley). I was so excited that I almost started posting about the book, recommending it to you, but then I finished reading your review and realised you've already read it :lol: I'm not sure how many liberties Shreve took with her book, and I'm really curious whether Cold Water Crossing is similar or has gone with some other perspective. I think I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the review! :)

Hi Pontalba

So good to see you too ! I loved the Gillespie book,just so very different than naything else I've read and such a strange twist in the book that I never saw coming .

Devi

I hope you get a chance to try the Gillespie book too . It will certainly stand out in my mind for awhile. I was in a really big reading slump before reading it,but it sure brought me out of it . Let me know if you read it and how you like it .

Hi there Frankie

as for the Shreve book, I didnt know it was a movie too. I bet the scenery was so very neat if they used to exact place where this all occurred. I've looked it up online just to see photos of the island. It looks HAUNTINGLY beautiful, if that is possible .

The Shreve book,all I'll say about it, which I don't "think" will be a spoiler, is ,she MAY have taken liberties regarding the personal relationships among the people in the story. Really don't want to say more than this to give anything away .

The Cold Water book tends to lean more on the facts and evidence and less on "guessing" what life was like on the island. I found it very interesting though . Those island crimes like that are fascinating to me, when there are hardly ANY people on one island ,there should be an easy answer to the story,but there always remains a little doubt. This book sorta put another POSSIBLE person in the picture who could have been involved, but it sounded pretty unlikely to me .

If you read it ,it'd be interesting to hear what you think .

Thanks ,folks for stopping in !

as for the Shreve book, I didnt know it was a movie too. I bet the scenery was so very neat if they used to exact place where this all occurred. I've looked it up online just to see photos of the island. It looks HAUNTINGLY beautiful, if that is possible .

I've now remembered that I actually watched the movie first. And I only watched it because I noticed Sarah Polley was in it, I'll watch any movie she's in. I was completely gripped by the movie, but I don't think I learnt that it was based on a true murder case until afterwards. Then I found out that there was the book and I simply had to read it. I also did a lot of research online and took a look at the actual island. I'm not sure if they filmed the movie on location.

If you ever get the chance to watch the movie, I recommend you give it a go :)

The Shreve book,all I'll say about it, which I don't "think" will be a spoiler, is ,she MAY have taken liberties regarding the personal relationships among the people in the story. Really don't want to say more than this to give anything away .

Don't worry, that wasn't a spoiler. I believe you are referring to

Maren's feelings for Anethe

. I think that was an amazing idea on Shreve's part, I liked it very much. (I don't think there were any evidence on that in the true case, nor was it even considered a possibility. I don't think it ever came up, if my memory serves me right.)

The Cold Water book tends to lean more on the facts and evidence and less on "guessing" what life was like on the island. I found it very interesting though . Those island crimes like that are fascinating to me, when there are hardly ANY people on one island ,there should be an easy answer to the story,but there always remains a little doubt. This book sorta put another POSSIBLE person in the picture who could have been involved, but it sounded pretty unlikely to me .

I like it that this book is different from the other one, that it's based more on facts and evidence. I can't believe they actually found another person of interest, there were so few on the island after all! I definitely want to read it, and I can't wait :)

All in all, it's a very captivating case, and I believe that is largely due to the fact that it is believed the wrong person was convicted and hanged, and that the right person was never caught. And like you said, the fact that the events took place in a remote island with so few people is also a great factor in the appeal.

Man, I wish I had a Kindle so I could get the book NOW :D

Hi Frankie I hardly ever watch movies, but this one would be interesting to see how they show the story . As for the spoiler comment you made --

You hit it dead on target ,which would almost make sense. When you read the Shreve book, you could almost picture the lonely feeling that Maren would have had when they first moved to the island and she was without any friends or family. THEN when she had her sister and sister in law move in, you could believe that tension would probably surface from time to time,since they all lived in one place together . Even if you were lonely and isolated, having that many females in close proximity on a continual basis, tensions would no doubt surface at times ,even if there were no big family conflicts ,just day to day things . Didn't the Shreve book almost lean in the direction ,or leave it a little bit open that Maren herself could have been the guilty party ? Shreve may have done that just to add to the mystery of other possible guilty persons . Maren did sound like she had a "different " or quirky personality,so was she ever jealous of her sister in law's beauty ? Or the attention her brother paid his wife, and everyone else was not as important to him ?

Did you feel, when you read the Shreve book ,that there was any doubt as to the guilty party ? I myself felt like that ,that there could have been someone else who committed the crime . Maren seemed to be portrayed a little differently in that book than the last one I read . So, she seemed to be a possibility to me,that she snapped one night and did it . Pretty unlikely,but it could have been her . I found it to be a pretty difficult thing to think of the murderer actually rowing that far in such terrible weather by himself and arriving safely,then being able to get back across safely .

I don't remember as many of the details in the Shreve book about the aftermath . The new book tells it in detail ,which makes hims sound more guilty ,because it gives information I didnt remember from the first book . The first book ( I don't think ) ,also didnt mention the other POSSIBLE murderer . Not much was told about this other person,so you really don't know how legitimate that person would have been .

Do you have the free Kindle App on your computer ? If you do, you can purchase the Kindle book that way and read it online .

Another REALLY interesting book about a crime that occurred on an island with VERY few people ,and that has lingering questions regarding guilt of the accused, is And the Sea Will Tell by Vincent Bugliosi . It is one of my all tiem favorite true crime books . Not sure if you have read it ,or if you like true crime stories,but this one is a really interesting one .

Edited by julie

• 2 weeks later...

The World of Downton Abbey by Julian & Jessica Fellowes

This book was interesting ,especially if you like the show Downton Abbey,but you may find it interesting even if you have never seen the show. It tells a little bit about everything . More info on the home it is filmed in,the history of the house and former tenants,a lot of info on how life was during the days that Downton took place,which was right before ,then during WW 1 .

They give pictures throughout of the actors and some of their comments about their parts and how much they all enjoy doing the show .

My favorite part was probably when they talked about the clothes and hairstyles of the ladies,and how they had to make the dresses out of really unique material and how beautiful all the outfits were with the lace,beading,etc .

All in all, it was a very informative book. It really didn't give anything away about the actual show. I was a little worried that it might,then it would ruin the last few shows I have yet to watch . I have all of them ,but decided to re-watch them all sometime after I read this book .

I'd rate this a 4/5 for viewers of the show. If you have never seen it, I'd rate it 3/5 because you might not have as much interest in it .

Edited by julie

• 3 weeks later...

Clair de Lune by Jetta Carleton

I am so glad to have found this book ! It's being called an "undiscovered classic " . I'm not sure I'd go that far in describing it, although I highly enjoyed it . I think the way they discovered the book and the story behind it might be what makes it so much better .

Jetta Carleton only wrote one other book in her lifetime : The Moonflower Vine " ,which I have yet to read. It was written in the 1960's .

Clair deLune was written in the 1990's . The author had a stroke shortly after completing it and was unable to speak . After a severe storm in their state ( Missouri ), her nephew thought the only copy of this book had been destroyed in the storm,but they found it and had it published .

It sounds to me like the book was probably taken directly from Jetta's life . It's about a young girl who came from a family of teachers, so it became her "profession" as a young adult. She really was unsettled with her career choice ,but felt she had no other options but to follow the family tradition. Her mother sounds like she was a very demanding person in Jetta's life,so she felt that she ,alone,wasn't permitted to chart her own course in life .

She lands a job straight out of college ,as a Junior College teacher . Being that she is the age of some of her students, she wanted to cross that line and become their friends ,not just their teacher.

This is where the conflict arises that will dramatically change her life . It's a story heard all too often now,in our news. A young teacher crosses a line and wants to be more than a teacher to the kids . It usually ends very badly .

This story kinda leaves you dangling at the end,wondering what happened . You never really know, but can guess if you do a little research on Jetta's actual life. I think this book was taken from her own story much more that she is willing to admit .

I'll give this a 4/5 ,mainly because of the way the book was discovered, and the age-old story of what our parents somehow EXPECT out of us that we are not really happy in pursuing. How many of us go against the grain and choose our own path ,rather than to follow the path laid out for us ?

I think Jetta may have taken the harder path,but may have also been much happier because of it . At least I'd like to think so .

There's also a song with the same title .Not sure how that was chosen for the title of the book,but it's a very pretty song !

Edited by julie

Gillespie and I by Jane Harris . 4/5

I plan on trying The Observations here soon too ,which is also by the same lady. I have had it on my Kindle for a long time .

Ah so this is the thread where people were talking about Jane Harris :D I remember reading about her and some of her books in some thread on here, and that reminded me I had a copy of The Observations, and that in turn prompted me to actually finally pick up the book and read it :D I did enjoy it, I hope you do, too! I'd definitely like to give Harris's other books a go.

You hit it dead on target ,which would almost make sense

This was in context to the certain feelings on Maren's part to another certain person. I think how Anita Shreve wrote it, it definitely made sense and I can't help but think that it's a real possibility. But maybe I'm a gullible person :D

When you read the Shreve book, you could almost picture the lonely feeling that Maren would have had when they first moved to the island and she was without any friends or family. THEN when she had her sister and sister in law move in, you could believe that tension would probably surface from time to time,since they all lived in one place together . Even if you were lonely and isolated, having that many females in close proximity on a continual basis, tensions would no doubt surface at times ,even if there were no big family conflicts ,just day to day things . Didn't the Shreve book almost lean in the direction ,or leave it a little bit open that Maren herself could have been the guilty party ? Shreve may have done that just to add to the mystery of other possible guilty persons .

Yes, one would be mad if they weren't lonely on such a remote island with so few people to come in contact with. And when men go fishing and women are left alone, with only so little to do, maybe fearing if their men will come back alive, it's bound to cause some friction, most definitely. And it's not like they could go and socialize with a number of other people, to mix things up.

It's been some time since I read the book but I do remember thinking that Shreve definitely

pinned it down on Maren. I think she also suggested that it would've been practically impossible for the hanged man to be where he was seen at some point, then row back to the island, commit the murders and then row back. I believe it was a stormy night, on top of everything.

But maybe that is just how Shreve added intrigue to the novel. It is after all a fictionalized account, and she wanted the books to sell. So I don't think there's really no way of telling what really happened.

Maren did sound like she had a "different " or quirky personality,so was she ever jealous of her sister in law's beauty ? Or the attention her brother paid his wife, and everyone else was not as important to him ?

Ooh, I didn't remember that part! She was definitely a very quirky character. Now that I think about it, I think she was at first jealous of her s-I-l because she replaced Maren in her brother's life, and I'm not even sure if she knew beforehand that her brother had married and was bringing over a wife.

Another REALLY interesting book about a crime that occurred on an island with VERY few people ,and that has lingering questions regarding guilt of the accused, is And the Sea Will Tell by Vincent Bugliosi . It is one of my all tiem favorite true crime books . Not sure if you have read it ,or if you like true crime stories,but this one is a really interesting one .

I'm very much into true crime, and I've read one of Bugliosi's books (Helter Skelter), so that's definitely going to my list, thanks! :smile2:

• 1 month later...

Hi Frankie

Thanks for the comments on the book . Sorry it took me so long to reply. Life has kinda knocked me down for a spell,but I just got back up kicking andd screaming, so here I am again .

I'll have to dig out the Observations. I know I'd like it if I got a good running start on it . I have started it a few times but not stuck with it . I WILL get to it at some point here .

I've totally lost track of where I was with my reading .... Geez, I hate when that happens. Time to climb back on the wagon .

Edited by julie