returning from 6months away in RAF

hey folks I'm new on here,

iv been to the falklands for 6 months and couldnt really get hold of a decent book. and didnt really have the time to be honest.

I'm going to be off down the library in the moro to pay off my fines that my partner forgot to sort whilst I was away, and I'm hoping to pick up a read.

can anyone recommend me a book from any of these genres,

serial killers (has to be a true one though)

war stories

futuristic novels

or any decent novels.

thanks in advance and id be gratefull for any sudjestions

iv read all of the lord of rings, oliver twist, to kill a mockingbird so these are off the menu

I wonder whether Neuromancer by William Gibson would count as a futuristic novel? (I'm not very good at deciding which genre books come into.) It certainly would have when it was written! It's one of my favourite books. Amazon says:

Neuromancer is the most influential science fiction novel of our time. Cyberspace and virtual reality were invented in this book. It changed forever the way we look at tomorrow and was the inspiration behind the blockbuster film The Matrix. In 2009 it celebrates its 25th Anniversary.

Synopsis from the Cyberpunk Project:

The book centers on Case, a former computer hacker who makes his living by breaking into security systems. Caught stealing from his employers, Case is rendered physically unable to withstand the rigors of access to the worldwide computer net. Unable to work, he welcomes suicidal thoughts, entering into deals that can only go bad. Willing to do anything for the chance to work again, he turns to a mysterious figure named Armitage, and by so doing begins a journey out of the gutters of 21st century Tokyo and into an ever-expanding world of multinational intrigue. Armitage pays off Case's debts, repairs his neural damage, and places him under the protection of Molly, a professional killer. As Case progresses through his assignments with Molly and a range of others enlisted by Armitage, he becomes aware of larger forces working to control his activities. Ultimately, Case realizes that it is Neuromancer, a far-reaching artificial intelligence, that he has been working for. The opus ends with Case's realization that he has been controlled by the very technology he uses.

Hope you get some good suggestions, and find something you like :)

Hi antiriot ,

I'm new too .

The only tip I can give you regarding serial killers , is one about the BTK killer ,from over here in Kansas . I have read lots of books about serial killers and his story was probably the scariest one I have ever read. I think the reason was that he looked like just an ordinary guy,had a family, worked a job, was a scout leader and church deacon( or some such church officer),so lived a totally ordinary life .No one ever thought he would ever be a serial killer . If you can get hold of a book about him, that'd be an interesting one for you .

You may have lots of totally different true crime books over there that I wouldnt be up on .I'm not familiar with many other than Jack the Ripper . Hope you find something interesting .

Good luck !