Do you read in different voices?

Talisman

I have always been interested in different countries and cultures, having travelled quite a lot in my younger days, so it has been natural for me to seek out books also set in different countries. I find though quite often that when I read these books, I hear the words in my head in the same accent as someone from that country rather than in my own voice - Indian for example, or Australian. It makes for quite a humerous experience at times. I was just wondering if anyone else has this experience or if I am the only one?

Edited by Talisman

I never do accents unless the book is phonetically written in a specific accent/dialect (e.g. like in the colour purple)

Usually the characters have slightly different voices but not always. It depends how much I like the book and what sort of mood I'm in.

Not only do I read in different voices for different characters, I also think in different voices when I am not reading.

Different emotions have a different vocal quality if my head.

I never do accents unless the book is phonetically written in a specific accent/dialect (e.g. like in the colour purple)

I'm the same. I'm bad with accents, so it would only ruin my reading experience if I tried to use accents.

The only time I hear the words in someone elses voice tend to be for memoirs of people I hear a lot, e.g. I heard Mark Kermode's voice in my head when I read both of his book recently, and I also tend to hear Stephen Fry when I read the Harry Potter books now as I've listened to the audiobooks so many times! If a book is written in dialect, then I will often try to read it in my head with the correct accent, just so I can get the flow of the words and sentences right.

Oh blimey, I thought I was the only one who did this! I am quite relieved to find out that I am not alone in my imagining different voices for the characters. Sometimes, if I have read a book before its been turned into a film and the character I have imagined has a totally different face and voice to the actor playing it, then it totally puts me off!