Writing reviews

shelley.s

(Sorry mods, not sure what section this post should be under?)

Anyway hi all,

I need to borrow your knowledge (not that I plan to return it :lol:) I've started a blog writing books reviews on the things I've read but its alot harder than I thought it would be :blush: I find I keep writing the same thing and I'm not really sure what to write without spoiling the plot. What do people expect to find out from a review apart from whether the book was good or bad? Does anyone know of any writing frames or good examples I could use? Also as the majority of the stuff I read is sci-fi/fantasy/horror alot of the books have things in common, I don't want to all of my reviews to sound the same about different books :(

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the book reviews on the BCF Book Reviews.

There's a variety of approaches found there, and you may find a 'style' that you can take from. I love reading the different reviews as everyone has a different way of viewing things and it's fascinating to read what has stood out for someone.

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the book reviews on the BCF Book Reviews.

There's a variety of approaches found there, and you may find a 'style' that you can take from. I love reading the different reviews as everyone has a different way of viewing things and it's fascinating to read what has stood out for someone.

Wonderful thank you chrissy, just what I was after! :)

Wonderful thank you chrissy, just what I was after! :)

I've had all kinds of reviews for my books. The good, the bad and also the ugly. So I guess it pays to be thick skinned at times, but also open minded as an author, as its the readers we need to listen to from time to time. Taking collective notes of the constructive comments, of course.

Steve

Edited by Steven Preece

I've had all kinds of reviews for my books. The good, the bad and also the ugly. So I guess it pays to be thick skinned at times, but also open minded as an author, as its the readers we need to listen to from time to time. Taking collective notes of the constructive comments, of course.

Steve

Yes thats very true. I'd never write a horrendous review as I'm aware of peoples feeling and if id written a book and got it publish just to read people saying terrible things about it id be really hurt! If a book is bad I'll still find as many good points as I can without being misleading to the reader however if I really can't find anything good to say I just wont write a review on it.

I've started a review on the Harry Potter series, they were books that I loved and that I thought would be easy to write my first review about. I've pasted it in below... please can people tell me what they think and if/how I can improve it? Please be honest!

These books were the books that got me reading. They are imaginative, mostly original, spell binding and most of all they keep the reader gripped. Anyone can enjoy these books.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone Rate: 5/5

The first book in the Harry Potter seriesis a great scene setter yet it also contains action and excitement. This book is the first of the seven. It introduces us to Harry Potter, a seemingly unfortunate orphan who is living with his Aunt and uncle and spoilt cousin (The Dursleys). He isn’t wanted by the family who make it clear to him that he is a burden. Harry soon learns that he is a wizard after he recieves an invitation from Dumbledor to attend Hogwarts, a school for witch craft and wizardry. From then on Harry learns that his parents were brutally murdered by the evil wizard lord voldemort and he has now turned his attentions to the young wizard Harry. I loved the first book it did everything a first book should do and much much more. It built a relationship between the reader and Harry fantastically, it introduces you to Harrys friends (Ron and Hermoine, that stay with him through out the series) and it sets the scenes and atmospheres of the wizarding world brilliantly. This book is really great read and a definate must have for Fantasy book lovers

There's also a guide in the fiction section of the forum here that's very useful: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118-steps-for-writing-a-good-book-review/ :)

Thank you, thats really helpful! I think I've covered most of the points in my review above however I want to make it a bit more interesting! I think I'll have a re-write!