What Music

Steven Preece

So what type of music makes you guys tic

When I training I like, Green day and Linkin Park.

Why: Because they give me drive to excel myself.

They also inspire my writing.

When I'm chilling, on weekends after a mad week at work, I like to listen to more sedate stuff like:

Michael Buble, Celine Deon or something soothing.

It's all about creating the mood, I think. The mood for pushing yourself in the gym or at work.

or the mood for chilling/relaxing.

So what about you? What type of music do you like?

Steve

There is a thread for this here, http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3014-what-music-are-you-all-into, but I've only mentioned some of my musical tastes in it, so I'll add a few more!

The only time I specifically have a go-to genre of music, is for reading and will be classical, instrumental or songs in a foreign language so the words don't affect my reading:

Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, film scores such as The Hours, Harry Connick Jr (piano albums only), Los Desterrados, Titi Robin, Paco Peña, Tango Siempre, Gotan Project.

Other than that, love quite a variety of music, but never listen to opera or country & western.

Recent favourites to listen to:

Paramore, Lily Allen, Claire Martin, Bombay Bicycle Club, Kirsty MacColl, Peggy Lee, Duran Duran, Matthew Halsall, Ella Fitzgerald, Cyndi Lauper, Jimmy Barnes.

Most often played while driving is Kirsty MacColl's Tropical Brainstorm album as it's great to sing along to at the top of my voice where no one else has to hear me!

I'm like you Claire, when I'm reading I only listen to classical otherwise I keep following the songwords instead of the bookwords, but I only know the popular stuff like Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' and Tchaikovsky's 'Nutcracker Suite' etc. Apart from really soothing stuff like 'The Flower Duet' and 'Nessun Dorma' .. opera makes my ears bleed (though I could listen to Pav sing anything.)

Other than that I've always been inspired by Kate Bush, it's like the first time I heard her a lightbulb came on in my head and she's been my favourite favourite ever since. Other favourites are Muse, Radiohead, Regina Spektor, Paolo Nutini, Jeff Buckley, Fleet Foxes, Corinne Bailey Rae, Amy Winehouse and Adele. I'm becoming more and more enamoured with Patrick Watson and also Ed Sheeran but you never know if these phases will last or whether they are just of the moment. I love Motown and Stax, the Beatles, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and am not averse to a bit of country and western because I grew up listening to it as my Dad was a cowboy (in his own imagination.) I like jazz but not the really improv stuff .. when the drummer wanders off for ten minutes so do I.

... and I'm not ashamed to say it ... I love Coldplay :giggle:

Most often played is Regina Spektors 'Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and other short stories' .. it's weird, wonderful, raucous and beautiful and I sing it all (badly) at the top of my voice. Usually I listen to it in the car but when it's on at home ..The neighbours take it as their cue to go out for the day :lol:

I listen mostly to Rock too. Sometimes metal but not the really really screamy stuff.

At the moment I listen to Frank Turner when I need cheering up (particularly 'If Ever I Stray')

I like listening to Biffy Clyro, Jimmy Eat World or Taking Back Sunday in the car (so I can sing along :giggle: )

Rise Against for almost any occasion (although I have to say, I really didn't like their last album)

Avenged Sevenfold for bad moods

and Neil Zaza when I want to relax :)

My absolute favourite music wise has to be Stevie Wonder - to me the man is just pure genuius. He is an inspiration in so many ways, not only musically, but also in terms of his politics and the causes that he helps to support.

Like others though, I like different types of music for doing different things. For working out I like modern dance music or 70's/80's disco, and for general relaxing, depending on my mood, jazz and/or classical. My tastes are pretty varied really, with heavy rock and country music about the only things I don't like. For reading though I prefer silence, so that I can concentrate fully on the words without distractions.

My musical tastes are so vast.

Usually I'm listening to Classic Rock (Led Zep. Lynrd Skynrd...etc). But I do like Heavy Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead), Blues/Rock (Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd).

I also listen to a lot of Classical music as well as Classical Church Music (Hymnals). I'd say these are the top 5 genre's I listen to on a regular basis.

Edited by busy91