Star's Reviews / lists

Star

2012 READS (aiming for 40 books this year)

• Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris
  • Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris
  • Club Dead - Charlaine Harris
  • Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris
  • Pictures of Lily - Paige Toon
  • Lovers and Liars - Nina Bell
  • Me Before You - JoJo Moyes
  • The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece - Annabel Pitcher
  • Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
  • Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
  • The Pact - Jodi Picoult
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After - Lucy Dillion
  • The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
  • Perfect Chemistry - Simone Elkeles
  • Finding Sky - Joss Stirling
  • Bonded by Blood - Laurie London
  • Trafficked - Sophie Hayes
  • The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain
  • If I Stay - Gayle Forman
  • Beautiful Disaster - Jamie McGuire
  • On the Island - Tracey Garvis Graves
  • Fifty Shades of Grey - E L James
  • One Perfect Summer - Paige Toon
  • Before I go to Sleep - S J Watson
  • Platinum - Jo Rees
  • Matched - Ally Condie
  • The Kindest Thing - Cath Staincliffe
  • Safe Haven - Nicholas sparks
  • The Host - Stephenie Meyer
  • Fifty Shades Darker - E L James
  • Fifty Shades Freed - E L James
  • Room - Emma Donoghue

Edited by Star

WISH LIST (Bold indicates books I really want to read) (Indicates books to take on my jollies)

A

Hunting Lila - Sarah Alderson

The end of everything - Megan Abbott

Saints v Sinners - Katie Agnew

B

To My Best Friends - Sam Baker

Stranded - Emily Barr

The Empty Nesters - Nina Bell

Wish - Sasha Blake

Sweet Little Lies - Alison Bond

C

The Day You Saved My Life - Louise Candlish

Clockwork Angel - Clare Cassandra

Clockwork Prine - Clare Cassandra

Breaking the Silence - Diane Chamberlain

Bad Girls - Rebecca Chance

Divas - Rebecca Chance

Dearest Rose - Rowan Coleman

Where the truth lies - Julie Corbin

Do Me No Harm - Julie Corbin

Devils Child - Jerry Coyne

D

Someone Else's Life - Katie Dale

Little Sister by Lucy Dawson

What my best Friend Did - Lucy Dawson

One that got away - Lucy Dawson

Friends Like Us - Caitlin Davies

Bared to you - Sylvia Day

Reason to Breathe - Rebecca Donovan

You Against Me - Jenny Downham

Woman Before Me - Ruth Dugdall

E

F

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Up Close and Personal - Leonie Fox

G

A Perfectly Good Man - Patrick Gale

Looking For Alaska - John Green

Sister's Gift - Giselle Green

Mum's List - St John Greene

H

Taken - Sharon Hamilton

The Summer Series - Jenny Han

Disovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

The First Last Kiss - by Ali Harris

One Child - Torey Hayden

Last to know - Melissa Hill

A Thousand Splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini

Slammed - Colleen Hoover

I

J

Skin Deep - Laura Jarratt

K

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kawaga

Goodnight Beautiful - Dorothy Koomson

Woman he loved before - Dorothy Koomson

Green Mile - Stephen King

L

Just One More Day - Susan Lewis

Losing You - Susan Lewis

Please don't stop the music - Jane Lovering

Sister - Rosamund Lupton

M

The Fall - Claire McGowan

Georgina Kincaid Series - Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

The Girl You Left Behind - JoJo Moyes

N

The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson

Pear Shaped by Stella Newman

Pillow Talk - Freya North

Chances - Freya North

O

Revenge - Sharon Osbourne

The First Time I Saw Your Face - Hazel Osmond

Who's afraid of Mr Wolfe - Hazel Osmond

P

Belle - Lesley Pearson

A Child Called It - Dave Pelzer

Handle with Care - Jodi Picoult

Starters - Lissa Price

Q

R

Crying Tree - Nassem Rakha

Call Me When you Get to Heaven - Madeline Richardson

Harry Potter Series - J K Rowling

To touch the Stars - Jessica Ruston

The Darker Side of Love - Jessica Ruston

S

When You Were Mine - Rebecca Serle

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys

Never Knowing - Chevy Stevens

Shiver, Linger, Forever (Series) - Maggie Stiefvater

Prima Donna - Karen Swan

Players - Karen Swan

Worth Fighting for: Love, Loss and Moving Forward - Lisa Niemi Swayze

T

Slated - Teri Terry

This Is A Love Story - Jessica Thompson

Lucy in the Sky - Paige Toon

The Longest Holiday - Paige Toon

U

V

W

Changing Grooms - Sasha Wagstaff

X

Y

Z

Edited by Star

• 1 month later...

Review:

TitlePrivate Members

Author Leonie Fox

Sypnosis (from back of book):

Welcome to St Benedict’s Country Club and Spa. As a home away from home for the A-list, naturally membership comes at a premium – only the over-sexed, the over-rich and the over-beautiful need apply.

Take a tour of the sauna and work up a sweat before indulging in an intimate Swedish massage. Should your mood need enhancing further, this chic retreat comes with its own drugs baron and you simply must sample the foie gras in the Michelin-starred restaurant. Do watch out for the fiery-tempered chef, though, more prone to filleting his light-fingered staff than the freshly caught sea bass …

WAGs and racing drivers rub shoulders on the famous golf course, site of many a hole in one, and you’ll be able to join your celebrity companions for a glass of Cristal in the luxuriously appointed terrace bar after a hard day’s posturing for the paparazzi.

But beware. The St Benedict’s experience involves more sex, bad behaviour, blackmail and deviance than most women can handle. Are you ready to join the Club?

My Review

Well I had this book as an Xmas present years ago but I always struggled to get into it & gave up after a couple of chapters. I tried time after time again & finally I persevered this time. It took me a while to start enjoying it (I'm not sure why) but then it finally fell into place & I couldn't put it down. Loved it. So glad I didn't give up on it. Very naughty though. Made me get a bit hot & bothered on more than 1 occassion ha ha!!

I will definitely be reading the next one. I just hope the next one carries on from this one because I felt there was so many unanswered questions & that's the main reason more than anything else I want to read the second book. Does it answer our questions guys??

Cannot wait. Great beach read I'd say & easy to pick up & get lost in it.

My Rating 4*

Review:

TitleSisters-in-Law

AuthorNina Bell

Sisters-in-law Kate, Helen and Olivia all have one thing in common - they're hiding something. It's not easy being part of the high-achieving Fox family: the expectations and demands of their husbands and children; the jealousies and rivalries; and the endless Sunday lunches where somehow everything feels like a competition. So when mysterious Sasha enters their lives, bloodied from the battlefield of a painful divorce, buried frustrations rush to the surface. Why is Kate's husband Jonny working so late at the office, and how will she cope at home alone? Can army-wife Helen trust Jago to come back to her next time, or is he drawn by temptations in a foreign field? And will Simon's explosive secret blow Olivia's marriage apart once and for all? Three sisters-in-law. One devastating divorcee. Whose husband is about to play with fire?

My Review

Loved this book. Couldn't put it down.

There was a point in the book with the way Jack behaved & his attitude that really made me scream out loud & get so angry!!!!

I liked the ending too & glad that not everything went back to normal (without giving too much away) after the way some people behaved.

Sasha is a complete b*tch but unfortunately there are women like her who do exist in real life & are not happy with what they have got or what other women have got for that matter.

Will definitely be reading more from this author & already have my eye on lovers & liars. Cannot wait to read it.

My Rating 4*

Review:

TitleMy Best Friend's Girl

AuthorDorothy Koomson

What would you do for the friend who broke your heart? Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again. Two years later, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to visit her in hospital. Adele is dying and begs Kamryn to adopt her daughter, Tegan. With a great job and a hectic social life, the last thing Kamryn needs is a five year old to disrupt things. Especially not one who reminds her of Nate. But with no one else to take care of Tegan and Adele fading fast, does she have any other choice? So begins a difficult journey that leads Kamryn towards forgiveness, love, responsibility and, ultimately, a better understanding of herself.

My Review

I really struggled to rate this book because in the middle it seemed to drag.

Nothing was really happening, no twists or turns for ages. It started off quickly with Kam going to see Adele and Adele dying within the first few chapters. That sucked me in. I wanted to know more. Then it kind of dragged for a while and I didn't think I was going to enjoy the book. I guess D.K was really building up the atmosphere, the characters, the emotions we felt because by the end you will feel like you know the characters, the settings, the feelings they are feeling (or at least I did). I felt very sad by the end of the book. We didn't find out until near the end either what actually happened between adele and nate. I kept thinking the author was going to skip those details & it really annoyed me. So glad we finally found out.

Once Nate was introduced in the book I kept longing for Kam to get back with him. I felt the chemistry and the history between them and he seemed like such a nice guy. Unlike Luke who was very jealous at times and mean to Kam to start off with. I knew the answer to their relationship though because I read a review and someone stated they were happy with who Kam choose. Please don't give it away in the future lol!!!

HOWEVER by the end of the book it really picked up pace & I couldn't put it down.

It really moved me by the end of the book. I felt quite emotional and for that reason I would give it 4.5 stars!! I didn't expect it to move me. This isn't my kind of book and yet I still throughly enjoyed it. The last few chapters made up for the lull in the middle.

I will definitely read more of D.K's book and already have my eye on 'Goodnight Beautiful' & 'The Woman He Loved Before'

My Rating 4.5*

Review:

TitleParadise

AuthorKatie Price

When glamorous model Angel was forced to make a life-changing decision and choose between a Ethan, the laid-back Californian baseball player, and giving her marriage to football star Cal another go, many were stunned when she picked Ethan. But life in LA is good: Ethan adores her and Honey and their life could not be more glamorous.

But nothing is perfect, and after a year together problems are beginning to surface: a stalker seems to have singled out Angel; Ethan's agent Benny despises her, and isn't always good at hiding it; and when Ethan faces financial ruin the couple are forced to star in a reality tv show about their life together. Despite everything, though, Angel is convinced that Ethan is the man for her.

So why does she alwasy feel breathless when Cal is around? And why can't she stop thinking about him and his new girlfriend? But as the tabloid headlines have always been quick to point out, the path of true love for our sexy celebrity has not always been smooth. So when her dad falls dangerously ill Angel rushes back to England to be by his bedside, throwing her and Cal back together. But Ethan loves her and Cal has a girlfriend, and she made her choice a year ago. It's too late to go back now, isn't it...?

My Review

I love the angel serious and I love Katie's novels or at least I used to. Angel (her first book) was what got me into reading this genre. However I've since learnt there are far better out there.

Was this book as good as the other 2 in the angel serious?? I'm not sure. It wasn't on par with the first novel that's for sure. That 1 was the best for me by far, it had it all going on. I still enjoyed this one though to a certain degree. I felt it dragged slightly & there wasn't really any twists and turns until the middle of the book maybe even past that.

There was 1 big twist / shock which I won't mention that I wasn't happy with.

Was I happy with the ending? Yes and No. No because the thing I didn't like that was the main twist was still lingering there at the end and hadn't been resolved. I shall say no more. It wasn't quite the ending I had hoped for but still an enjoyable read on holiday. Perfect for the beach!!

My Rating3*

Review:

TitleHis Other Lover

AuthorLucy Dawson

Mia thinks of herself as a grown up. Her twenty-two-year-old sister, Clare, is once again in the death throes of an affair that was always doomed to failure. Mia now understands that relationships need work; that in an adult partnership, passion and spontaneity give way to something different but more lasting. With Pete she knows that her search for 'The One' can stop. Until, tripping over Pete's phone on the way to the loo one night, she reads a text message that sends her blood cold. Everything in it - its tone, the kisses at the end, Pete's evasions about the sender 'Liz' - is wrong, and suddenly the blinkers are off. It's time to get back in the game, and with everything to play for, Mia is about to discover a capacity for deceit she never knew she had. After all, when Happy Ever After is at stake, any weapon at your disposal is fair game - isn't it?

My Review

I enjoyed this book. After reading the reviews on here I thought it was going to be something special. I wouldn't go that far but was still enjoyable all the same and was a breath of fresh air to read something different in the chick lit catergory rather than the normal stuff.

Mia discovers her boyfriend who she has been happily in love with for many years is sending texts and meeting another woman. Rather than confront him she plans to put a stop to it by making out his 'other lover' Liz is a bunny boiler.

It had it's funny parts. I found the bit about the toilet roll stuck in her knickers quite funny as I'm sure we have all been there at some point or another in our lives lol.

I was dreading the ending as most of the reviews suggested the ending was very poor.

I on the other hand thought Lucy Dawson was quite clever with the ending, yes it's quite plain & simple but you then realise just what Pete was like after all and maybe Mia had made the wrong decision and should of just chosen to leave him.

Throughout the book I never knew if he was actually having an affair or not as he was so loving to Mia but then would lie and be caught out and be off with her at other times. Pete gets to finally give his version as does Liz and I didn't know which 1 to believe and that's why I think the book is quite clever at the end. We don't actually know but can presume from Pete's attidude that maybe Liz was telling the truth.

My Rating3*

Review:

TitleOriginal Sin

AuthorTasmina Perry

Get inside the glamour with Tasmina Perry! Stunning Brooke Asgill is about to marry into one of the richest and most powerful families in the Unites States, and matriarch Meredith Asgill is determined that her daughter will walk down the aisle at whatever cost. But the Asgill's are not all they seem and their past is riddled with secrets, lies and tragedy. Enter Tess Garret, a renowned publicist hired to keep the Asgill family ghosts well and truly locked away, at least until the big day is over. From Manhattan's exclusive upper east side to the tropical beaches of Hawaii. From the couture ateliers of Paris to the colonial mansions of the Florida Keys, Original Sin is a sexy provocative tale of lies, secrets and the lengths some people will go to keep them!

My Review

To sum it up in a nutshell ....

Tess is a journalist who is taken on by the Asgill family as a publicist to ensure the wedding of Brooke Asgill and hubby to be David Billington will go ahead no matter what. The Asgill family run a failing cosmetics company and the Billington family are a very wealthy powerful family with a political background.

Tess ends up sorting out the rest of the families problems too including a blackmailer and a murder enquiry along the way.

There are 2 separate love stories that begin to blossom too but only 1 has a happy ending. The other 1 in my mind was kind of left unfinished & ended quickly which was a shame.

......... It took me ages to get into this book. Maybe it was because I didn't sit down and read a big chunk of it in 1 go. Maybe it's because it kept jumping from person to person each chapter I don't know.

I enjoyed it once I got in to it & sat up late to finish it off once I was near the end.

I just found the ending a bit disappointing & things were left kind of unfinished in my mind & the twist or twists weren't shocking enough. Not because I predicted the twists or the endings just didn't find them that thrilling or exciting.

I will still probably try the authors other novels but didn't get the WOW factor like other reviewers I'm afraid.

I will say Tasmina Perry is a saucy little minx by the way!!!

My Rating2*

Edited by Star

Review:

TitleLost Innocence

AuthorSusan Lewis

Sometimes the truth can be harder to bear than a lie...

When Alicia Carlyle returns to the home of her childhood after the tragic death of her husband, she is hoping to put the past behind her. But first she must come face to face with the woman who nearly destroyed her marriage and tore her family in two – her sister-in-law, Sabrina. Their hatred runs deep, but Alicia is determined to make a fresh start for herself and her two children, Nathan and Darcie, and to heal her fractured relationship with her beloved brother.

However, just when it looks as if they might have a chance at a brighter future, Sabrina’s fifteen-year-old daughter, Annabelle, accuses seventeen-year-old Nathan of a crime he insists he didn’t commit. And once more the two families are locked in a battle that is fraught with mistrust, betrayal and lies – a battle that threatens to destroy them all

My Review

I absolutely loved the author’s style of writing. It normally takes me a good few chapters to get into a book and to start enjoying it. Not the case with this book though. I was sucked in by page 5. It flowed nicely and the narrative was fresh and enjoyable.

I found the story line really good. I was gripped and wanted to know what happened in the end. Unfortunately even though I enjoyed the book the ending wasn’t great. I can’t say too much without giving it away and I don’t want to do that. Let’s just say that after the seriousness of the issue it kind of fizzles out at the end and doesn’t go the whole hog. You don’t really find out as such who was in the wrong either. I was really looking forward to knowing who was lying. I think it would have made a far better ending.

I will still try other books from this author though. Overall a really good read just expected more from the ending which is a shame.

My Rating3.5/4*

Review:

TitleTwilight

AuthorStephenie Meyer

When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away ? until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires ? and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

My Review

I loved this book. It made me go a little funny. I was walking round with a huge smile on my face & felt like when you first fall in love with someone, giggilng like a little school girl. :blush: Never had a book send me that way before. It's so romantic. I was in la la land. Whether it's becuase I saw the films first before reading & pictured Robert Patterson I'm not sure :lol: Such a beautiful told story. This is my favourite out of all of them I think. I loved the writing in this one.

My Rating5*

TitleNew Moon

AuthorStephenie Meyer

I stuck my finger under the edge of the paper and jerked it under the tape. 'Shoot,' I muttered when the paper sliced my finger. A single drop of blood oozed from the tiny cut. It all happened very quickly then. 'No!' Edward roared ...Dazed and disorientated, I looked up from the bright red blood pulsing out of my arm - and into the fevered eyes of the six suddenly ravenous vampires. For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of an evil vampire but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realise their troubles may just be beginning ...

My Review

Loved it. Didn't enjoy the film as much so didn't think I'd enjoy the book, oh how wrong I was.

My Rating5*

TitleEclipse

AuthorStephenie Meyer

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

My Review

Again I really enjoyed it not as much as the first 2 though I don't think but still highly rate it.

My Rating5*

TitleBreaking Dawn

AuthorStephenie Meyer

When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options. how could you run, how could you fight, when doing so would hurt that beloved one? If your life was all you had to give, how could you not give it? If it was someone you truly loved?

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which two tribes hangs.

Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed... forever?

My Review

I had high expectations for the final book in the series. There was so much against them in all the other books & it was made quite clear throughout or suggested that it wouldn't be easy . Oh how I was disappointed I'm afraid to say. Everything just fell into place far too easily & there was certain things that were skimmed over I.e Charlie.

I found it a little too predictable but still enjoyed it. I did find Stephenie's writing very repeptive throughout & didn't like the fact that at the end of Eclipse & throughout Breaking Dawn Edward kept calling Bella 'love'. I just felt it didn't sit right. Only a small gripe though. As I say I still enjoyed it just I had high expectations.

I think Stephenie should do a follow on though with Jacob & his love interest & we could see how Bella's getting on.

My Rating5*

Edited by Star

Review:

Title Before I Die

Author Jenny Downham

It's really going to happen. They said it would, but this is quicker than anyone thought.

Everyone has to die. We all know it.

With only a few months of life left, sixteen-year-old Tessa knows it better than most.

She's made a list though - ten things she wants to do before she dies. Number one is sex. Starting tonight.

But getting what you want isn't easy. And getting what youwant doesn't always give you what you need. And sometimes the most unexpected things become important.

My Review

This was an easy read. I wanted something fairly light after being engrossed in the Twilight Saga for several months. Only took me several days to read it.

I did feel emotional by the end & was close to tears. I have lost a loved one to a terminal illness so this was very raw & bought back some very sad memories. It gave me an insight what it might have been like for them when they passed.

I didn't like Tessa's best friend Zoe what a cow bag. Would someone really behave like that if they knew that there best friend was dying? I'm not so sure.

I struggled to bond with Tessa the main character but by the end I did.

I don't think I'll read it again though but all the same I did enjoy it even though it was a sad read.

My Rating3.5*

Review:

TitleForbidden

AuthorTabitha Suzuma

She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed.

He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future.

And now they have fallen in love.

But . . .

They are brother and sister.

My Review

I know that the subject matter of this book sounds sick & when people found out what it was about thought I was a little strange :irked: . I fancied something a little different & I've never read about an incestuous relationship before. This book really is not at all sick but a sad story about a love so strong & deep that sadly for them can never be allowed. The main characters have an unhappy upbringing & family life is tough for them. Their mother doesn't want to know & they are left to look after the family. Cook, clean, get the kids to school, collect them from school, get them to bed etc.

I fell in love with the main character Lochan. Even though he was 17 :huh::doh:

Even though you know they are brother & sister throughout you can't help longing them to end up together & for everything to work out ok. There can't be a happy ending though & there definitely isn't in this book. It was moving the lengths they'd go for one another.

My Rating3.5*/4*

Edited by Star

• 4 weeks later...

Review:

TitleLet the right one in

AuthorJohn Ajvide Lindqvist

He is a twelve-year-old outside; bullied at school, dreaming about his absentee father, bored with life on a dreary housing estate. One evening he meets a mysterious girl. As friendship blossoms between them, he discovers her dark secret - she is a 200-year-old vampire, forever frozen in childhood and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood.

Let the Right One In is the inspiration behind the major film, Let Me In. It is a disturbing and brilliant reworking of the vampire legend, and a deeply moving fable about rejection, friendship and loyalty.

My Review

I stumbled across this book from this site. I had never heard of it before or the film that's based on it. People on here seemed to enjoy it so thought I'd give it a go. It's a strange old book. It's perverted in parts which I didn't mind reading about but it seemed completely irrelevant to the storyline. I have no idea why cetain things were mentioned :huh: I'd list examples but don't think I can post them on the site. Also it was translated from Swedish to english but some of the names, places & the odd word were still in swedish.

I found the storyline overall enjoyable even though it was hard to follow in places. Had it all been in english & maybe set somewhere I could relate to (never been Sweden so can't relate with it) then maybe it would of made for an easier slightly more enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to watching the film though & couldn't see where the story was going with the ending due to the way the author kept changing narrative which was a good thing. Probs wouldn't read again but overall good book.

My Rating4*

Edited by Star

Review:

TitleCuckoo

AuthorJulia Crouch

A dark, juicy, deliciously unsettling, read-it-in-one-sitting psychological drama.

Rose has it all - the gorgeous children, the husband, the beautiful home. But then her best friend Polly comes to stay. Very soon, Rose's cosy world starts to fall apart at the seams -her baby falls dangerously ill, her husband is distracted - is Polly behind it all? It appears that once you invite Polly into your home, it's very difficult to get her out again...

My Review

I enjoyed this book. I liked the authors style but the main storyline overall was rather dull I thought. I expected it to be full of twists & turns. I was expecting something big to happen but I didn't feel anything 'big' really did. I didn't feel blown away by what happened. I liked Rose the main character. Didn't like Polly her best friend or her husband. His attitude / behaviour throughout the book really grated on me. This is what the author wanted you to feel so again her style of writing was spot on.

I'd read more of the author's books if she releases more but I just expected a little more after what reviews I read. Maybe that was my problem I was expecting too much. I did enjoy the book though don't get me wrong. I just like a lot to happen.

My Rating4*

Edited by Star

Review:

TitleLet the right one in

AuthorJohn Ajvide Lindqvist

He is a twelve-year-old outside; bullied at school, dreaming about his absentee father, bored with life on a dreary housing estate. One evening he meets a mysterious girl. As friendship blossoms between them, he discovers her dark secret - she is a 200-year-old vampire, forever frozen in childhood and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood.

Let the Right One In is the inspiration behind the major film, Let Me In. It is a disturbing and brilliant reworking of the vampire legend, and a deeply moving fable about rejection, friendship and loyalty.

My Review

I stumbled across this book from this site. I had never heard of it before or the film that's based on it. People on here seemed to enjoy it so thought I'd give it a go. It's a strange old book. It's perverted in parts which I didn't mind reading about but it seemed completely irrelevant to the storyline. I have no idea why cetain things were mentioned :huh: I'd list examples but don't think I can post them on the site. Also it was translated from Swedish to english but some of the names, places & the odd word were still in english.

I found the storyline overall enjoyable even though it was hard to follow in places. Had it all been in english & maybe set somewhere I could relate to (never been Sweden so can't relate with it) then maybe it would of made for an easier slightly more enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to watching the film though & couldn't see where the story was going with the ending due to the way the author kept changing narrative which was a good thing. Probs wouldn't read again but overall good book.

My Rating4*

Hey Star, nice review! I'd highly recommend watching the film version(s) of this book. The original Swedish version (Let the Right One In) is best, but the remake (Let Me In) is surprisingly good as well :)

Review:

TitleThe Midwifes Confession

AuthorDiane Chamberlain

'I don't know how to tell you what I did.' The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle - her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her family - described a woman who embraced life. But they didn't know everything. Because the unaddressed letter reveals a terrible secret...and a legacy of guilt that changes everything they thought they knew about the woman who delivered their children. A legacy that will irrevocably change their own lives - and the life of a desperate stranger - forever. Diane Chamberlain gets to the heart of the story.

My Review

I have never read one of Diane's books before but oh how that has changed. After reading this book I'm excited to read her others & if this book is anything to go by I'd say she might even become one of my favourite authors. I can't really make the claim after only reading 1 of her books though. It says on the cover if you enjoy Jodi Picoult then you'll enjoy Diane too. I've not read any of Jodi's books yet so I don't know how true that is.

It took me less than a week to read this which is really good for me. I loved the style of writing Diane uses. The characters are believable & you connect with them. It was written in first person but each chapter was a different character. It starts with Noelle the best friend to Emerson & Tara. She kills herself very early on in the book. Then Emerson finds a letter Noelle wrote a long time ago buried in her things. She learns of a dark serect Noelle has been carrying around with her for many years & starts digging to get some answers. She finally works it out & confides in her best friend. Throughout the back we get flash backs from the past written by Noelle.

Each chapter feels like it's left with supense.

You think you have it worked out from early on as I did but then at the end there's a twist.

A gripping enjoyable easy read. Loved it!!!!!!

My Rating5*

Review:

TitleThe Midwifes Confession

AuthorDiane Chamberlain

'I don't know how to tell you what I did.' The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle - her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her family - described a woman who embraced life. But they didn't know everything. Because the unaddressed letter reveals a terrible secret...and a legacy of guilt that changes everything they thought they knew about the woman who delivered their children. A legacy that will irrevocably change their own lives - and the life of a desperate stranger - forever. Diane Chamberlain gets to the heart of the story.

My Review

I have never read one of Diane's books before but oh how that has changed. After reading this book I'm excited to read her others & if this book is anything to go by I'd say she might even become one of my favourite authors. I can't really make the claim after only reading 1 of her books though. It says on the cover if you enjoy Jodi Picoult then you'll enjoy Diane too. I've not read any of Jodi's books yet so I don't know how true that is.

It took me less than a week to read this which is really good for me. I loved the style of writing Diane uses. The characters are believable & you connect with them. It was written in first person but each chapter was a different character. It starts with Noelle the best friend to Emerson & Tara. She kills herself very early on in the book. Then Emerson finds a letter Noelle wrote a long time ago buried in her things. She learns of a dark serect Noelle has been carrying around with her for many years & starts digging to get some answers. She finally works it out & confides in her best friend. Throughout the back we get flash backs from the past written by Noelle.

Each chapter feels like it's left with supense.

You think you have it worked out from early on as I did but then at the end there's a twist.

A gripping enjoyable easy read. Loved it!!!!!!

My Rating5*

I just picked this up today when I sneaked into the book room at my daughters christmas school fair (we were just setting up for tomorrow). It's been on my wish list for a while and it looks great, I get a feeling it could be a similar writing style to Kristin Hannah who wrote one of my favourite books, Night Road, I hope it is!!! Thanks for a great review! :)

I just picked this up today when I sneaked into the book room at my daughters christmas school fair (we were just setting up for tomorrow). It's been on my wish list for a while and it looks great, I get a feeling it could be a similar writing style to Kristin Hannah who wrote one of my favourite books, Night Road, I hope it is!!! Thanks for a great review! :)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Come back & tell me what you thought when you've read it :-)

I loved The Midwife's Confession - I am quite a Jodi Picoult fan, but I actually enjoyed Diane Chamberlain's writing more, and am looking out for more of her books :)

Have you read any of her other books?

I have my eye on 'Breaking the Silence' and 'The Lost Daughter'.

The Lost Daughter has really good reviews on Amazon. Judging by the reviews her best novels or at least the more popular ones seem to be the one's she's released this year. Maybe she's getting better & better :D

Review:

TitleEverything and Nothing

AuthorAraminta Hall

There’s no such thing as a safe house…

As children, we are told not to talk to strangers.

But as adults we welcome them into our homes.

So how do we know exactly who to trust?

On the surface, Ruth and Christian seem like an ordinary working couple with two kids – and a home in chaos. As the cracks in their marriage widen, they decide to get their very own super-nanny, Aggie. Quietly efficient, she brings calm and order, and the children adore her.

But why is Aggie so eager to gain their trust? Is there something sinister about her efforts to create the perfect family? And what is she really doing in their home?

Everything and Nothing builds to a mesmerising climax in a story that is, at its heart, about thwarted and damaged love

My Review

Ruth and Christian are a married couple in their late thirties who's relationship is close to breaking point. Christian had an affair but Ruth took him back. Things have never gone back to normal since & the cracks are still there. They have 2 young children. Betty and Hal who are both very demanding. Betty doesn't sleep & Ruth is getting up every night with her & not getting much sleep. Hal is 2 & won't eat anything & still lives on bottles of milk & doesn't talk. They both have demanding jobs & are career driven & struggle to juggle it all. Their nanny walks out on them after deciding she can't take it anymore & in steps Agatha the new 'supernanny' as her replacement. Everything 'Aggie' does is exceptional. She cleans the house, cooks, looks after the children. She always goes the extra mile & makes sure everthing is perfect. She won't let Ruth or Christian do anything. She even gets Betty sleeping & Hal eating.

But not everything is what it seems. Aggie has had a troubled childhood & isn't quite the way she makes out ......

I was really disappointed with this book. It was one of Richard and Judys autumn reads and from the sypnosis thought it sounded really exciting & was expecting a lot. How wrong was I.

I found the overall pace quite slow & the plot really boring. There wasn't really many twists and turns. I didn't like the authors style of writting. I didn't feel I connected with the characters. I didn't like that there wasn't chapters as such. It would follow Aggie, Ruth or Christian but when the character changed a new page wasn't started like it would normally with a new chapter.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read this but I just couldn't connect with it & couldn't wait until I had finished it. I thought maybe the ending would make up for it but with 40 pages left there wasn't anything exciting happening.

My Rating2*

Edited by Star

Review:

TitleThe Best of Me

AuthorNicholas Sparks

They were teenage sweethearts from opposite sides of the tracks ? with a passion that would change their lives for ever. But life would force them apart. Years later, the lines they had drawn between past and present are about to slip ...Called back to their hometown for the funeral of the mentor who once gave them shelter when they needed it most, they are faced with each other once again, and forced to confront the paths they chose. Can true love ever rewrite the past?

My Review

Dawson & Amanda were teenagers when they first fell in love. They'd known each other for most of their lives. They were from different families. Dawson was a Cole and in there town the Cole's had a bad repuation. Nobody messed with a Cole. They were known for drugdealing, beating their wives, thieving, being pimps and most of all being violent. His dad used to beat him & take his money off him that he earnt & his mother left them both. Dawson isn't like the rest of his family though. His quiet, gets good grades, works hard & is genuinely nice. Amanda was a Collier. Her family were upper class and rich. She was the prettiest girl in highschool & one of the most popular.

Her family banned her from seeing Dawson. He wasn't good enough for her & they branded him with the same bad reputation as his family. It didn't stop them seeing each other though until her family threatened not to pay for her to go to university anymore if she stayed with him, which was a long life dream of hers. In the end Dawson let her go to follow her dream & that was it. They lived seperate lives & both moved out of town.

They are brought back together when they're old friend Tuck dies & are contacted by his lawyer.

Amanda's married with 3 children now & Dawson works the oil rigs & lives a lonely life with no family or friends. His never loved again & still thinks of Amanda & that summer they spent together most days. Will they end up rekindling their love for one another?

This is Nicholas Sparks' latest novel out at the moment. This was the first novel of his that I have read & it won't be my last. I love romantic slushy stories & this is what Nicholas Sparks is all about. I have seen Dear John & the Notebook which are both adaptations of his books. Both fantastic chick flicks if you're into that kind of thing by the way.

I have never had a book reduce me to tears before. This had me balling my eyes out. I went to work the next day feeling emotionally drained from crying so much & with puffy eyes. I am a sucker for romance.

I loved his style of writing. I connected with the characters. It flew nicely. It really was a beautiful story with a twist of an ending. I didn't see how it was going to end. Get the tissues ready!! If you're a sucker for romance like me then this is for you!!!!!

My Rating5*

Edited by Star