What is age

Steven Preece

People can sometimes get hooked on how old they are.

When age can often really be a figment of the imagination.

I'll explain this to you.

When I was 15 years old. - People who were 20 years old, looked old to me.

But when I turned 20 it didn't feel old or look it any more.

When I was 30 years old. - People who were 40 years old, looked old to me.

But when I turned 40 it didn't feel old or look it any more.

I then learned that 40 is the old age of youth and 50 is the youth of old age.

I'm now in my late 40's and still fit and healthy. Now.....60 doesn't look that old any more.... :giggle2:

At least, not to me anyway.

Steve

Edited by Steven Preece

Provoking? Why?

I'm only getting 30 but that's how it feels to me, too.

The distance to the ones who are 40 or even 50 (like chatting to them...) feels less than to those who where 15 when I was 12.

I didn't say age was a distance. I said it was or could be perceived as a figment of the imagination.

You don't get an age, you become it.....................or do you!

Steve

It isn't the age itself that creates the distance but the experience in life. And to a child or a teenager every year makes a great difference.

But when you grow older it doesn't matter that much anymore.

But how can you perceive age as a distance. We don't perceive the minutes of a clock as distance. Its more so, the distance we cover in the time....or is it.

Steve

But how can you perceive age as a distance. We don't perceive the minutes of a clock as distance. Its more so, the distance we cover in the time....or is it.

Steve

I don't mean distance literally, Steve. Just look at the kids. They keep mostly among their own age, because the younger ones are uncool and the older ones unreachable. And when they become some 20 years old they realise, that it doesn't matter anymore.

That's at least how it was to me. Suddenly those whom I considered "old" earlier become adults and I belonged to them.

And thus somehow I reached a state were age doesn't matter. And I didn't reach the age where I'm afraid of getting old yet.

I don't mean distance literally, Steve. Just look at the kids. They keep mostly among their own age, because the younger ones are uncool and the older ones unreachable. And when they become some 20 years old they realise, that it doesn't matter anymore.

That's at least how it was to me. Suddenly those whom I considered "old" earlier become adults and I belonged to them.

And thus somehow I reached a state were age doesn't matter. And I didn't reach the age where I'm afraid of getting old yet.

Our logic is the same, I believe.

Life is full of challenges and all kinds of things that have the potential to cut life short. Therefore old age is a target to reach, but also an era that should also be enjoyed. However, if your spirit remains young, then your body will try and follow suit. That's my understanding anyway.

Cheers

Steve

I know two groupes of older people:

Those who consider becoming older as becoming more experienced.

And those who tell you they can't learn or memorize anymore because of their age.

And I certainly want to join the first group sometimes!

And those who tell you they can't learn or memorize anymore because of their age.

That's a bit like those who spend hours in the gym and those (like me) who put the hours into the hour in the gym!!

Steve

Well, speaking as someone who works with the elderly, I can tell you that the second group definately does not exist. It may be more difficult to learn and retain memory as you get older, but it is not impossible. I think then that I have already joined the first !

Well, speaking as someone who works with the elderly, I can tell you that the second group definately does not exist. It may be more difficult to learn and retain memory as you get older, but it is not impossible. I think then that I have already joined the first !

my logic of age can be termed as:

1 to 18 youth.

18 to 30 young adults.

30 to 60 middle-aged.

60 till the end of time, old age or maturing. But then again some people do get old before their time and some remain young.

My sensei in Ninjutsu is 61 and he's very young for his age. I guess you could be as old as you feel.

My mother is 71 years old and I would class her as very young for her age, which is great.

Steve