Chick-lit vs Lad-lit

Hi there, I am quite new to this forum so please be gentle with me! I have often picked up and flicked through the pages of my girlfriend's books that she leaves lying around (mainly Sophie Kinsella), as I am intrigued to find out how men are portrayed in these books. I have to be honest and say that I am not always convinced!

I have also read books by Mike Gayle as he writes about relationships from a guys point of view. I was just intrigued to find out what other people thought about this, and whether there are any other books out there that write about relationships from the guys point of view? What is the general feeling amongst fans of chick-lit about the lad-lit genre?

I have to confess, the term chick lit and lad lit irritates me, whose to say a man cannot read a book that is termed chick-lit, but the genre could put him off, like wise Lad-lit.

I go to a huge second hand book sale once a year and they split it into Ladies Books and Mens Books, now as I like thrillers, where are most of the books I gravitate too, and I am definitely not a man :rolleyes:

Interesting question, Steve.

I must admit I would probably be immediatly put off by a book being labelled chick-lit (and yes, it is a horrible term). But then, here I am reading Jane Austen. Does that count as Chick-lit? Probably in some peoples eyes it does, and a few years ago I would most likely have not read this at work as I would have been embarrassed. I'm older now, and such things don't bother me. Or doesn't it count as chick-lit because it's a classic and "proper literature", in which case there is some kind of literary snobbery going on.

I've done the same as you Steve; dipped into some "girly" books and found the male characters to be somtimes unrealistic. Then again, I could say the same about some of the token female characters that litter some of the bad action thrillers I've read (I'm looking at you Dan Brown & Clive Cussler!)

BTW - welcome to the site Steve!

Ian

As if to prove the point - one of the women in my office just came up to my desk and said in a loud voice

"Is this what you're reading? You big girl!"

:doh:

Welcome to the site, Steve. :)

Glancing at my bookshelf, I think I tend to read more "masculine" books. I enjoy reading from a male character's perspective, so I almost always choose books with male leads. It takes a really interesting and/or unusual female character to hold my interest and I've not come across many.

I usually have more traditionally masculine tastes in books - crime thrillers, war-based historical fiction, and occasionally, lad-lid. But overall my tastes are quite eclectic and I do occasionally read a bit of chick-lit too.

Hey guys, thanks for the response and warm welcome! I have to admit that I tend to agree that I struggle with the terms chick-lit and lad-lit, although I think sometimes chick-lit is more defined. I have published a novel and most people either tend to say it reads like a chick-lit for me, or it has been called lad-lit. I have to say that I had never come across the term before!

When I did a bit of research, it seems that lad-lit can be anything written with a masculine character, which basciallt makes the whole genre very broad! You don;t exactly see a lad-lit section in Waterstones! As I have mentioned, I have read quite a few books by Mike Gayle and he would come as close to what I would consider to be lad-lit. I also like Danny Wallace, but is that lad-lit? To me his stuff is just funny, so does it make a difference if you are a woman or a man?!

I tend not to go for books about relationships and would avoid a chick-lit section in a book shop. Saying that I don't think it being lad-lit would make any difference to me, just because its written by a man and is from a male perspective, the content is still going to be the same.

I'm sure your book is very good though, I don't mean they're bad, just not for me :blush:

This is indeed a very interesting question Steve. I like to think the range of books I read is quite varied. I have read a few chick-lit and a few lad-lit books and I didn't like either type for exactly the same reasons, they just seemed too lightweight and unrealistic, with silly plots.

I don't know if my idea of chick-lit is the same as the genre that is now collected together in bookshops now. I always assumed that chick-lit was the literary equivalent of the film genre romcom. I used to read a lot of traditional chick-lit, but over the last couple of years I've read more of what is now termed things like "urban fantasy" or "paranormal romance", but I like the ones that have the humour element, which in my mind still makes them chick-lit. I have to say I can't remember reading any lad-lit, but I wouldn't rule it out, I just don't think I've come across any yet that I've wanted to read.

• 3 weeks later...