Literary Landmarks

ian

I very recently read and loved that book and would LOVE to visit Pen Selwood!

If you do, be sure to let me know and I'll buy you a coffee! :D (Although according to Google maps it's about a 10 hour drive from you, so I guess it's unlikely!).

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

The Church that featured in the story (unfortunately it was closed for major repairs!)

DSCF0086.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Dorchester at the weekend. It's Casterbridge from Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge, which I'm currently reading. They're taken from the car so they're not brilliant, but you get the gist.

Casterbridge

DSCF1053.jpg

The King's Arms

(Where Susan first sees Henchard after being apart for years)

DSCF1055.jpg

We also went and visited the Hardy family graves at Stinsford Church - Thomas Hardy's heart is buried there. :)

DSCF1025.jpg

• 4 months later...

A few years ago I found a fiction book called Freshers that was based around my halls of residence at uni! It wasn't exactly a classic or even a title that I'd heard of before, but I couldn't believe it, so random. The characters went to all the same pubs and old haunts as me and my chums too... Hm, guess me buying the book was sort of the reverse of literary tourism :)

Other than that I have visited Top Withens (lots actually, one of my fave places to go walking, up on the wild moors), Whitby (don't forget it's also the setting of the Whitby Witches, as well as Dracula!), Bristol (from whence Jim sets off for Treasure Island - think there is a Spy Glass restaurant but the pub that the one in the book was based on is actually called something entirely different), Chatsworth House (filming location for Pemberly in the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice and where they still have the marble bust of Mr Darcy from the film!). Oh and last year I also holidayed in Crete and went on an excursion to the island from The Island (by Victoria Hislop). To be honest that last was the only one of those locations that could be classed as literary tourism, the other places I just happen to have been visiting and had the famous links pointed out to me whilst there.

I've been in Paris and London, cliché towns as far as being in stories goes, then it's up to the writer to turn cliché town based stories in something original or at least interesting.

Some years ago my children and I visited Amsterdam, mentioned in various books. Of course the most famous author of that town is Anne Frank. We visited the Anne Frank museum amongst other places there.

Edited by sadya