Are authors best known books actually their best books?

Nope! Jules Verne's best known books are A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea and Around the World in 80 days. However his best book is easily The Mysterious Island.

Tolkien's best known book is The Lord of the Rings, but any Tolkien fan will tell you that his best book is the Silmarillion and/or Unfinished Tales.

A A Milne wrote a lot than just books and poems about a boy and his teddy bear. Circumstances give fame while talent just lies there, waiting to be discovered. I think that's a good thing. There's little to match the excitement when you discover a copy of an author's book that isn't too easy to find and you read it, learning that it might be his very best work.

Edited by vinay87

Another reason is beacuse of averages. If 6000 have read and rated one book, but only 200 have read another, then the average for the less-read one stands a chace of benig higher (unless it's a really rubbih book and eveyrone rated it lower). The law of averages means that things tend to even out over the course of time unless something is truly exceptional, and even then, people don't agree on what is exceptional anyway - LOL!

I think perhaps a better question would be, are the most popular books in general the best ones and leave specific authors out of the equation completely, for with books as with life, it is the message that matters rather than the messenger.

Well, Talisman, I think that's a topic best left untouched. The "best books" are often defined by their popularity. For all we know, the most beautiful piece of literature there is could be either still in the making, or it must be on a cave wall somewhere, hidden from mortal ken.

I probably prefer Emma to Pride and Prejudice, even though P&P is by far Jane Austen's most popular and well known book.

And my favourite is Northanger Abbey. :)

• 7 months later...

Nope! Jules Verne's best known books are A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea and Around the World in 80 days. However his best book is easily The Mysterious Island.

Tolkien's best known book is The Lord of the Rings, but any Tolkien fan will tell you that his best book is the Silmarillion and/or Unfinished Tales.

A A Milne wrote a lot than just books and poems about a boy and his teddy bear. Circumstances give fame while talent just lies there, waiting to be discovered. I think that's a good thing. There's little to match the excitement when you discover a copy of an author's book that isn't too easy to find and you read it, learning that it might be his very best work.

Well his book mysterious island is a well known book...Why do I say that you ask?THERES A MOVIE OF MYSTERIOUS ISLAND CALLED:JOURNEY 2:THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND

• 4 weeks later...