Well hello there

wickedvoodoo

Hi people.

Another newbie here.

Vital stats - Martin Garrity - 24 years - Mansfield, England.

I'm a psych graduate who currently works in a busy hospital. Hobbies include reading/writing, music, (rock and heavy metal mostly, some dance and other electronic type stuff too) and various kinds of wargaming/other really geeky stuff.

I'm a huge literature fan. Huge. Gotta come right off the bat and say it though, I'm mainly into the darker end of the spectrum. Horror and the sort of transgressive thriller stuff that is fairly popular at the moment are my mainstay, though I do also love a lot of sci-fi and fantasy stuff too.

Some of my favorite authors: (no particular order): Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, Bret Ellis, Arthur Clarke, Irvine Welsh, Jeff Noon, Phillip Dick, Robert Rankin, Will Christopher Baer, Frank Herbert, Amy Hempel.

I write short stories and have had a few published. I run a website that features original work (both by myself and by others) along with interviews with up-and-coming authors. I understand people round here don't like newbies signing up just to promote websites so I'll leave the link out for now though.

So yeah. I joined up because I was exited to see a literature site with a popular community that is based a little closer to home for me. I enjoy book club discussions a great deal and am a member of several other sites, but those are all based around American sites and American authors. I figured here I might discover something a bit different here.

Peace all.

-Martin

Great intro, Martin, and welcome. :) You'll find a friendly bunch here and I'm sure we'll have loads to discuss.

So far I've only read Fight Club by Palahniuk. Do you have any particular favourites that you would recommend?

Hey Martin welcome to the forum. :welcome2:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it on here and I can't wait to see you in discussion.

Cheers guys, I have been casting my eyes over a few of your forum sections, looks to be loads of good stuff there.

@ Kylie

Personally I think Chuck Palahniuk is one of the greatest modern writers. Fight Club is awesome. As is Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and Choke. His early stuff is very highly regarded.

I find the newer books divide people's opinion a bit more though.

If I had to recommend just one I'd say Invisible Monsters.

hiya, I'm new too, if you like Terry Prachett you may like Tom Holt, or Micheal Marshall Smith/Micheal Marshall, haven't tried Chuck Palahniuk yet..looks interesting, the kind of books I like has changed alot, I will randomly pick up a book in the libaray now, try the first page and if I like it take it out, I find that if it doesn't get me in the first page I can't get through it no matter how many friends have recommended it or how many great reviews it has got!, happy browsing...

• 2 weeks later...