Do you sometimes forget a book's plot?

emelee

Do you sometimes forget what a book was all about; the plot, the set-up, the ending.....? Maybe you KNOW you have read the book, but can't for the life of you remember it enough to recap it to someone else?

I have. Sometimes it even happens with books I really liked!

This happens to me quite a lot. I like it though, it makes the second reading much more exciting! It happens to me Chuck Palahniuk's books. I recently re-read Invisible Monsters and I'd forgotten every single twist and turn in the plot, I couldn't even remember some of the characters!

All The Time

I used to know every single detail I could have told you everything that happened and all the characters first and surnames but these days my memory is not so good. I am forever telling people "oh in this book this happened because oh no I can't remember why they did that." :doh:

All the time, I remember my cousin asking me if I had read Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind I said didn't think so got back to the UK started reading and thought all this is very familiar and realised I had in fact read it before.

If the book is good and memorable I tend to remember it even after just a couple of pages, if its just blah I might forget parts of it. What I really hate is picking up a book being sucked in by the synopsis getting it home realising I have read it and in fact the only good part was the synopsis on the back.

It doesn't really bother me that much though as I re-read books all the time (well the ones I like)

Do you sometimes forget what a book was all about; the plot, the set-up, the ending.....? Maybe you KNOW you have read the book, but can't for the life of you remember it enough to recap it to someone else?

I have. Sometimes it even happens with books I really liked!

all the time :blush:

Yes, I do, especially if I read it a long time ago and only once.

That's why I have decided when it comes to a series, I will read the first book to see if I like it. If I do, then I will wait until the series is finished so I can read it all at one time.

That's why I have decided when it comes to a series, I will read the first book to see if I like it. If I do, then I will wait until the series is finished so I can read it all at one time.

So I guess you aren't a G R R Martin fan then :giggle2:

Thats a good idea trouble if you can't always guarantee when the series has ended.

Also I wish they would put the book number down the spine for book series like they do childrens books I get so confused as to what order they go in it would be so much easier if I could just see at a glance

This always happens with me, even with books I have read within the last year. :blush:

I will know whether I enjoyed it or not, but if you ask for any plot details (even general storylines) I usually can't remember. :doh:

I know of some people who can remember details about books they read years ago. I don't know if it's because I don't really leave a gap between books. I usually wait about 10 minutes between finishing one book and starting another. The longest I will go between books is probably overnight, when it's too late at night to start a new one.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have this problem. :giggle2: