Enjoy books by controversial authors?

emelee

Can you enjoy books that are written by controversial authors - authors that may be racists, sexists, pedophiles, dictators.....? And not feel influenced by what you know about the writers, but only by what you read in the book?

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler is a bad example since its not pure fiction. Lets say Jane Austen was a bitch in her days, would you still love Pride & Prejudice?

If the book has something of value or truth in it for me, I don't care who wrote it.

The message matters for me, not the messenger.

I know Harlan Ellison has a reputation for being an arrogant you know what, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying many of his short stories.

As they say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :wink:

I'm sure there are classic authors who were in full support of slavery, as it was very common in their time and generally accepted. However, I'm certain they still wrote wonderful novels. A writer's beliefs or personality doesn't detract from their talent as a writer, but it can be the source of some of their most thought-provoking material. It doesn't make their work of any less value, nor would it spoil my enjoyment of a wonderful story which is well-written.

I can't think of any authors who fall into this catergory off the top of my head, but I'm sure I will have read and enjoyed some of them.