Keith Donohue

Pixie

I see no thread for this author and I think he is one others might like here. I hope his books are easily available in the UK. :)

Here is my review of Centuries of June.

Description from Amazon:

Set in the bathroom of an old house just before dawn on a night in June, Centuries of June is a black comedy about a man who is attempting to tell the story of how he ended up on the floor with a hole in his head. But he keeps getting interrupted by a series of suspects—eight women lying in the bedroom just down the hall. Each woman tells a story drawn from five centuries of American myth and legend in a wild medley of styles and voices.

Centuries of June is a romp through history, a madcap murder mystery, an existential ghost story, and a stunning tour de force at once ingenious, sexy, inspiring, and ultimately deeply moving.

My thoughts:

This books had just the right amount of humor mixed in with philosophy. At first, you will wonder how these stories the women have to tell relate to the main character. And who is the strange, yet familiar, older gentleman that appears in his bathroom? It all comes together at the end in an unexpected way. I want to say more, but I will give away the main theme of the novel, and I don't want to do so. Hint: The title has a lot to do with the theme. :wink: Another great read from Keith Donohue.

Also, if you are intrigued, check out Angels of Destruction and The Stolen Child by the same author as they are equally compelling.

5/5 stars from me :D

Edited by Pixie