Sally's reading list

Easy Reader

The start of the year I set myself the challenge of reading 52 books in 2011 and I started well (I was 7 books ahead of schedule at one point working on the basis of one book a week) but now I have hit a slump so I am hoping that starting a list on here will spur me on a bit.

Books read so far

1. Life and Laughing - Michael McIntyre

2. Notes to my Mother in Law - Phyllida Law

3. Foursome - Jane Fallon

4. The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters

5. Club Dead - Charlaine Harris

6. Wideacre - Philippa Gregory

7. Friends Like These - Danny Wallace

8. The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen

9. Its not what you think - Chris Evans

10 Coastliners - Joanne Harris

11. Toast - Nigel Slater

12. The Double Comfort Safari Club - Alexander McCall-Smith

13. Dissolution - C J Sansom

14. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

15. Oranges are not the Only Fruit - Jeanetter Winterson

16. The Pirates Daughter - Margaret Cezair-Thompson

17. Goodnight Steve McQueen - Louise Wener

18. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling (re-read)

19. Death of a Gossip - M C Beaton

20. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

21. Killing Floor - Lee Child

22. Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde

23. The Red Queen - Philippa Gregory

24. Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens

25. The Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fforde

26. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling (re-read)

27. To the Nines - Janet Evanovich

28. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling (re-read)

29. Something Rotten - Jasper Fforde

30. Eleven on Top - Janet Evanovich

31. One Day - David Nicholls

32. First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde

33. Turn of the Screw - Henry James

34. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (re-read)

35. Plum Lucky - Janet Evanovich

36. The Remains of the Day - Kazuro Ishiguro

37. Evil Under the Sun - Agatha Christie

38. The Magician's Nephew - C S Lewis (re-read)

39. Lean Mean Thirteen - Janet Evanovich

40. Die Trying - Lee Child

41. 4:50 From Paddington - Agatha Christie

42. Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie

43. The Other Hand - Chris Cleave

44. The Big Saturday Tent Wedding Party - Alexander McCall Smith

45. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie

46. Hard Eight - Janet Evanovich

47. The Horse and His Boy - C S Lewis

48. Gypsy Boy on the Run - Mikey Walsh

49. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

50. Cards on the Table - Agatha Christie

51. Memoirs of a Fruitcake - Chris Evans

52. Cuckoo - Julia Crouch

53. The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis

54. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J K Rowling (Re-read)

I will also be answering a question a day

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time "

Edited by Easy Reader

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JellyBeans91

I have got to say that I have never read any of other books or even heard of most of them! I must be behind! I have managed to read 7 books in the space of around 3-4 weeks. Which of the books have you read would you suggest are some of the best ones?

I have got to say that I have never read any of other books or even heard of most of them! I must be behind! I have managed to read 7 books in the space of around 3-4 weeks. Which of the books have you read would you suggest are some of the best ones?

Well depends what books you are into but I would recommend the Chris Evans - Its Not What You Think. I only read it as it was given to me as an christmas present I would never have picked it up for myself never been a huge fan of Mr Evans and thought they whole book would be full of how superfantastic he is but its not at all. Its very well worded, he doesn't "big up himself" he is considerate when talking about other people he has met on the way. He comes across as some who just lives life which I found very freshing, thats why I have started the follow up.

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

I had been meaning to read this one for years but have to confess that the size of it put me off. I then had a swap request on a book swapping site and the other person had this on their list so I agreed the swap and started reading it as soon as it arrived. I was drawn into the life of this little girl instantly and couldn't put it down. I did find the book started to lose its appeal towards the end but that was when war and politics crept in which is a surefire way to put me off a book but in this case it wasn't enough to put me off the book and I am pretty sure if I was to make a list of my top 50 favourite books then this one would definitely be on there. It has been recommended to me to read a book that was written by the Geisha that Arthur Golden took his insipiration from and I hope to read that soon.

Edited by Easy Reader

I had been meaning to read this one for years but have to confess that the size of it put me off. I then had a swap request on a book swapping site and the other person had this on their list so I agreed the swap and started reading it as soon as it arrived. I was drawn into the life of this little girl instantly and couldn't put it down. I did find the book started to lose its appeal towards the end but that was when war and politics crept in which is a surefire way to put me off a book but in this case it wasn't enough to put me off the book and I am pretty sure if I was to make a list of my top 50 favourite books then this one would definitely be on there. It has been recommended to me to read a book that was written by the Geisha that Arthur Golden took his insipiration from and I hope to read that soon.

This was my favourite book of last year too. I had also put off reading it as I didnt think it would appeal to me. But I was so wrong, I got hooked right into it!

Reviews

Life and Laughing - Michael McIntyre 9/10

Brilliant book if you are a fan of MM (if not you probably wont like it). I have to say I did question alot of this as to whether it really happened or not as some of his stories were a little to convenient but then I decided that it was so entertaining I didn't care. I am not really a laugh out loud kind of person but I certainly did chuckle when reading this book espeically when his writting gets a little sidetracked.

Notes to My Mother in Law - Phyllida Law 6/10

Phyllida is actually Emma Thompson's mother. This book is literally notes to her mother in law. Phyllida's m-I-l moved in with Phyllida and her family and was a little deaf and missed out on what was being said to her throughout the day so Phyllida would make notes at the end of the day to keep her up to speed. Its not an overly entertaining book but some of its quite funny and like have a one sided conversation with someone. Parts of it were quite endearing and it reminded me a lot of my own mother and a woman that she looks after so I lent her the book to read when I was finished with it and she enjoyed it too.

Foursome - Jane Fallon 5/10

Although I loved "Getting Rid of Matthew" and enjoyed "Got You Back" by the same author I have to say I wasn't quite so impressed with this one to the point I had forgotten I had read it until I got my book journal out to start this thread. It wasn't terrible it just didn't leave any lasting impressions.

The Little Strange - Sarah Waters 6/10

This is a large book but having read most of her other books I was expecting to sail through reading this. I didn't. Overall it was a good story but I felt the middle third of the book just didn't move anywhere it was going over the same ground and not achieving anything. I think it was supposed to be building the air of mystery but I just got bored. In some ways I which I was the kind of person who could just skip a few pages here and there but I can't. It was a good book but in my opinion could have been told quicker or have more content.

Memoirs of a Geshia This was my favourite book of last year too. I had also put off reading it as I didnt think it would appeal to me. But I was so wrong, I got hooked right into it!

I am glad you enjoyed reading it too. For me its one of those books where I think if it wasn't quite so long I would re-read it all the time. I also enjoyed finding out about a different culture which is not something I often do with my reading.

Edited by Easy Reader

I read Memoirs of a Geisha about ten years ago and I still remember the main character and the thoughts and feelings that the book provoked. I have just checked that I still have it on my bookcase and it is there (second layer back)!I also remember not being particularly interested in the political side of things but enjoyed the cultural side.

Guest JellyBeans91

What is that 30 day thing that you have? I'd like to try it. :)

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou

This was one of 6 books that I studied for my A Level english back in 1997. My english tutor recommended that we read all 6 books at least 6 times so that when we came to do the exams we would know them inside out and be able to quickly look up pages numbers etc for reference. I only manage to read this one and one other 6 times in total, this one because it was such a joy to read and the other because it was quick and easy.

I read it again a few years after my exam and still really enjoyed it.

This book is an autobiography of the poet Maya Angelou (I think it was the first of 5 books) covering her earliest memories up until the age of 16. Her writting obviously is quite poetic and she really draws on the senses to create an atmosphere. She really transports you to the time and place and clearly remembers quite vividly the things that had happened to her even remembering outfits that people were wearing and the food that was eaten. A very warm and friendly book even through the though times.

Edited by Easy Reader

Reviews

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris 7/10

The third in the series of books about Sookie Stackhouse and her vampire Bill. Although the books are easy to read they tend to be "samey" and I do get annoyed with constantly being told what she is wearing but like I say easy to read and they are something different to what I would normally read.

Wideacre - Philippa Gregory 6/10

I don't mind reading thick books just as long as the content is worthy of its size and I am affraid for me this story could have been told in a book half as long. I was quite disappointed with this as many people have told me that the whole trilogy is good so I am not sure if it was just a case of my expectations were too high. I have the other two in the set on my shelf ready to be read and I am sure I will one day I am just not in a hurry right now.

Friends Like These - Danny Wallace 8/10

Excellent book. Danny Wallace TV present is about to turn 30 and starts wondering what happened to the people he used to know when he was a child so he starts to look for them. I really enjoyed the writing style and there were a few laughs on the way I still smirk even now at the memory of him getting stuck in a Japanese toilet.

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen 8/10

Not my usual style of book but it came along at the right time. Its about a young woman with low self esteem who likes to escape to her wardrobe to read books, look through travel brochures and eat sugary snacks but one day she opens the wardrobe to find Della Lee local cafe owner in there. Without giving too much away they kind of help eachother out. Its a sweet feelgood book and my favourtie part is one of the characters has books just appearing in front of her when she needs them, how cool is that?

Day 03 – Your favourite series

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

I normally try and stay away form series of books as I feel like I HAVE to read them all even if I don't like them. No worries here though each new book is like catching up with old friends.

Edited by Easy Reader

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Difficult to say as all the No 1 Detective Agency books are pretty standard in their content and some of them I read so long ago I can’t remember what happened in which book but my favourtie title is definitely Tea Time for the Traditionally Built and perhaps as it was the last one I read The Double Comfort Safari Club stands out a little bit more than the others and I like that this one explored Mma Makutsi and Phuti Radiphuti relationship a bit more as I had found their pairing lacking in emotion.

Reviews

Coastliners - Joanne Harris 6/10

Unfortunately this didn’t really score that highly with me and I think its mainly due to the fact that I had read Chocolat a few years ago and enjoyed it so much that I was expecting more from Joanne Harris. There was nothing wrong with the book that I can pin point so I think my disappointment was purely down to my high expectations.

Toast - Nigel Slater 9/10

This is one of those books that I had avoided assuming I wouldn’t like it and I was wrong. I know many people have read it and like it but I was under the impression it was just about Nigel growing up with a mother who couldn’t cook. Wrong. I finally read it after watching the bbc film over Christmas and just knew I had to read it and I am glad I did as it was even better than the film. I am sorry for doubting you Nigel.

Dissolution - C J Sansom 8/10

This was one of the world book books and I found a copy so of course I had to read it. Its not one that I would have chosen myself but I did read and enjoy it and I would consider reading another of his. I did find elements of it quite comedic although I am don’t think I was supposed to :giggle2: . I couldn’t help visualising Shardlake as Columbo and his sidekick as Paddy McGuiness of all people, please don’t ask me why.

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro 8/10

Really enjoyed this book I loved the way the emotion in the writing reflected the slightly strange upbringing of the children. Will definitely read another book by this author.

Edited by Easy Reader

You've read or have coming up some great books! :)

I read this a long time ago now. I didn't think it would be 'my thing' either, but I really enjoyed it.

The Little Strange - Sarah Waters 6/10

I read this last year for Book Club. I agree that it dragged in places, but overall I enjoyed it, and it gave us lots to talk about!

Friends Like These - Danny Wallace 8/10

Excellent book. Danny Wallace TV present is about to turn 30 and starts wondering what happened to the people he used to know when he was a child so he starts to look for them. I really enjoyed the writing style and there were a few laughs on the way I still smirk even now at the memory of him getting stuck in a Japanese toilet.

I think this is my favourite Danny Wallace book. I love his writing - it's like listening to a mate chatting to you in the pub!

The Sugar Queen sounds intriguing too!

Coastliners - Joanne Harris 6/10

Unfortunately this didn’t really score that highly with me and I think its mainly due to the fact that I had read Chocolat a few years ago and enjoyed it so much that I was expecting more from Joanne Harris. There was nothing wrong with the book that I can pin point so I think my disappointment was purely down to my high expectations.

Toast - Nigel Slater 9/10

This is one of those books that I had avoided assuming I wouldn’t like it and I was wrong. I know many people have read it and like it but I was under the impression it was just about Nigel growing up with a mother who couldn’t cook. Wrong. I finally read it after watching the bbc film over Christmas and just knew I had to read it and I am glad I did as it was even better than the film. I am sorry for doubting you Nigel.

I thought Coastliners was poor compared to Harris' other works, of which I've read quite a few. Five Quarters of the Orange is my favourite of her 'French' books, and I simply *loved* Gentlemen and Players which is very different to Chocolat et al!

I also loved Toast. I read that a few years back (again, for my Book Club). I loved the BBC adaptation. :)

I thought Coastliners was poor compared to Harris' other works, of which I've read quite a few. Five Quarters of the Orange is my favourite of her 'French' books, and I simply *loved* Gentlemen and Players which is very different to Chocolat et al!

Thats good to hear. I have Five Quarters of Orange on my shelf so I might give that a go sooner rathter than later. I hadn't heard of Gentlemen and Players sounds like a Gilly Cooper :giggle2:

Reviews

Oranges are not the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson 7.5/10

After watching Jeanette Winterson on My Life in Books I knew I had to read this book I loved the way the spoke with such fluidity and humor. Oranges is semi autobiographical book reflecting on Jeanette’s upbringing by a very religious mother who lives for her religion and started home tutoring her daughter with her only guide being the bible, and one occasion self editing Jane Eyre where in her mothers version Mr Rochester is a missionary. I really enjoyed the first half of the book and reading about this strange over religious upbringing and how Jeanette never really questioned it but found it wondered off a bit as she grew up and then started telling mythical tales to reflect what was happening in her real life which became a little bit weird to say the least.

The Pirates Daughter - Margaret Cezair-Thompson 8/10

A fictional book about a fictional daughter of Errol Flynn who was born and bred in Jamaica. Errol Flynn hardly features in this book its much more about the people he knew (mostly fictional) and their lives. This book is wonderfully atmospheric and that really was the best part of the writing I think Margaret C-T could have told any story about any people on the same location and would have produced the same results.

Goodnight Steve McQueen - Louise Wener 7/10

I had this book on my shelf for over 10 years I basically got it because I was written by the lead singer of Sleeper, remember them ? No. Its nothing to do with THE Steve McQueen its just the main character was named after him. Its not a bad book but theres not much to say about it either although I did feel as a female author she did well in writing from the point of view of a male. One thing the book did get me thinking about was how quickly things can age and that led me to wondering about at what point to old books start getting notes in the back to explain anything that may today no longer be the way of doing things eg Sense and Sensibility I remember reading about at the time when people went visiting they would stay for 15 minutes as it was the done thing. The reasons for my thinking/ramblings is that in Goodnight Steve McQueen at one point the main character commented that his girlfriend couldn’t phone him because he was on the internet. It took me a few minutes to realise that just a mere ten years ago he would have been using a dial up connection, how soon we forget about these things

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling (re-read) 8/10

I have been meaning to read HP’s for some time now as although I have read them all I often hear people talking about them and think to myself “I don’t remember that bit” so I am having a sort of refresher course. Going back to this earlier book made me realise how much the later books had been influenced by the film making side of it and that they seem to concentrate of the more “action” areas with all the fighting against Voledemort. I think I enjoyed this one more the second time around.

Death of a Gossip - M C Beaton 8/10

The modern day Agatha Christie and I have been dying to read a book where all the murder suppects are gathered together at the end where the finger of suspicion moves from one person on to the other. This was my first Beaton but I hope to read more just for this very reason.

Edited by Easy Reader

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

I am struggling to think of a book that makes me happy. I can think of loads that have made me laugh like both the Peter Kay autobiography’s and Bill Bryson books. But I can’t think of any books that have given me that warm fuzzy happy feeling. I shall think on it some more.

You read very quickly!

Thats good to hear. I have Five Quarters of Orange on my shelf so I might give that a go sooner rathter than later. I hadn't heard of Gentlemen and Players sounds like a Gilly Cooper :giggle2:

:lol: I guess it does! It's set in a school, like Cooper's book Wicked (which I gave up on as I hated it but tried it as it was a birthday present a few years ago!) but is nothing like I imagine a Jilly Cooper book to be! If you get a chance, I really recommend it. :)

You read very quickly!

:lol: I guess it does! It's set in a school, like Cooper's book Wicked (which I gave up on as I hated it but tried it as it was a birthday present a few years ago!) but is nothing like I imagine a Jilly Cooper book to be! If you get a chance, I really recommend it. :)

I'll second that. I really enjoyed Gentlemen and Players too - it's a cracking read with a nice twist to the story as well.

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

I try and stay away from dsad books but looking back through my book journal I have been reminded of this book: -

Amazon.com Review

In Evening News, Marly Swick's affecting second novel, 9-year-old Teddy accidentally kills his baby half-sister, Trina, with their next-door neighbor's gun. Until the accident, the family had been happily living in sunny Southern California, Trina's father, Dan, teaching at a college, their mother, Giselle, back in school finishing up her B.A., Teddy adoring Trina. But her death ruins everything. Giselle wants what is left of the family to cling together, but Dan can't rise above blaming his stepson for his daughter's death, and Teddy can't help but feel that blame. Dan turns to support groups and self-help books for solace; Giselle takes to self-medicating with wine, beer and gin. Then Teddy's real father, who lives in Nebraska, sends for him. Luckily, Giselle is forced to follow.

Evening News captures both the ordinary and the extraordinary nature of sorrow.

I read it a few years ago now but remember it being very touching and I couldn't help feel sorry for this poor woman who had to bring up her son knowing he had murdered her daughter.

Day 07 – Most underrated book

I am going to take underrated to mean I book that I really enjoyed but just haven't heard people talking about. If I had the chance to hand out books to random people (in the style of world book night) the I would definitely choose Notes From an Exhibtion, Patrick Gale. I really cannot put my finger on what exactly it is that I like about this book so much so will have to say its the emotion that comes out in the writing. Last year a friend asked me to recommend a book to her to read on holiday so I gave her a bundle of books that I thought she would like and threw this one in the bundle too thinking she wouldn't even look at it. She came back from holiday and told me it was the only book she read and that after reading the back she really didn't thinkit would be her thing but decided to give it a go and then couldn't put it down.

Day 08 – Most overrated book

I am going to have to say The da Vinci Code, Dan Brown. I read this after the hub-bub was starting to die down a bit so after feeling like everyone in the world had read it and seeing copies of it absolutely everywhere and every charity shop and every 2nd hand books sale in multiple copies I was expecting something much much better than I got. Although I enjoyed the book I really think I would have preferred it more if it hadn't been so huge. I also found that two styles were used through out that of the story of Langdon and Sophie Neveu and then that of the "factual" side of the bible and for me they didn't really work together I would have preferred to have the "factual" side to be much less like a lecture.

Edited by Easy Reader

Ahh so many of my favourites fall into this catagory. I have decided to go with We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver. I was instructed to read this by my sister and I nearly gave up on it so many times but each time big Sis told me to carry on and am I glad I did. Once I struggled through the beginning I then started to enjoy the writing style a bit more and then got engrossed in the storyline and then when I had finished I wanted to talk to everyone and anyone about it. I also remember when I had finished reading the reviews on amazon and was amazed to find that a very large percentage of the reviews were incredibly narrow minded about the book saying outright that it was completely the mothers fault that Kevin turned out the way that he did and that you could tell that Shriver isn't a mother herself as no one would not love her child. I could not believe that all these reviewers believed that life is just so black and white and that everyone follows the same life pattern.

Review

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde 9/10

Ok so I had never even heard of Fforde before joinging this forum and seeing as how he seemed so popular on here I just had to give him a try. I am hooked. I finished The Eyre Affair yesterday and have already ordered the next three in the series (I nearly downloaded them onto my kindle but I just love the covers too much not to have them on my shelves). I did take me a little while to get into the style of writing but I soon got stuck into it even though I think I didn't get all the jokes. Will be reserving this for a future re-read.

Edited by Easy Reader

Ahh so many of my favourites fall into this catagory. I have decided to go with We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver. I was instructed to read this by my sister and I nearly gave up on it so many times but each time big Sis told me to carry on and am I glad I did. Once I struggled through the beginning I then started to enjoy the writing style a bit more and then got engrossed in the storyline and then when I had finished I wanted to talk to everyone and anyone about it. I also remember when I had finished reading the reviews on amazon and was amazed to find that a very large percentage of the reviews were incredibly narrow minded about the book saying outright that it was completely the mothers fault that Kevin turned out the way that he did and that you could tell that Shriver isn't a mother herself as no one would not love her child. I could not believe that all these reviewers believed that life is just so black and white and that everyone follows the same life pattern.

I agree, I never would have picked it up if it hadn't been sitting on the shelf of a holiday cottage. Half of me was repelled by it and the other half completely engrossed. I couldn't bring myself to properly read 'that scene' though .. I bottled it and sort of skimmed it but I thought the writing was fantastic. History is full of women who didn't or couldn't love their children for one reason or another but it's funny isn't it, people can accept that a man may find it hard to love his child but a woman is seen as a monster. It's a film now with Tilda Swinton playing the mother .. I'm pretty sure I'd find it difficult to watch.

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde 9/10

Ok so I had never even heard of Fforde before joinging this forum and seeing as how he seemed so popular on here I just had to give him a try. I am hooked. I finished The Eyre Affair yesterday and have already ordered the next three in the series (I nearly downloaded them onto my kindle but I just love the covers too much not to have them on my shelves). I did take me a little while to get into the style of writing but I soon got stuck into it even though I think I didn't get all the jokes. Will be reserving this for a future re-read.

So pleased you liked it .. welcome to the Jasper Fforde fan club :clapping: you are in for a treat! I've read four of them now but am always thinking I should re-read them to fully get the jokes and understand the situations. It's a great workout for the brain :D

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

I really wish I could say I have read loads of classics but unfortunately I haven’t and I have to confess that I struggle with the ye olde style of them.

So of the limited classic I have read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Whats not to like about it. I think for me it’s the fact that the story is so timeless a strong minded daughter who comes from a slightly dysfunctional family who falls in love with someone she doesn’t really want to could just as easily be set today as it was in Austen’s time. I find it refreshing that it is essentially a romance that isn’t based on looks as romances so often fall victim to. If I could back in time I would love to pay Austen a visit and ask her endless questions about where her inspiration came from and how would she feel if I told her that 200 years after it was published people are still reading it and that it has been made into a television series and films (of course I would probably have to explain these concepts to her :smile2: )

I agree, I never would have picked it up if it hadn't been sitting on the shelf of a holiday cottage. Half of me was repelled by it and the other half completely engrossed.

I definitely would have given up if I hadn't been told to read on. I though I can't get into it and given what the outcome will be I am not sure I want to get into it

I couldn't bring myself to properly read 'that scene' though .. I bottled it and sort of skimmed it

I can think of three "that scene"'s off the top of my head so not sure which one you are referring to.

History is full of women who didn't or couldn't love their children for one reason or another but it's funny isn't it, people can accept that a man may find it hard to love his child but a woman is seen as a monster.

absolutley and it amazes me that its often other women who have no sympathy for those that it doesn't come so naturally to

It's a film now with Tilda Swinton playing the mother .. I'm pretty sure I'd find it difficult to watch.

Yeah I had heard that its going to be a film and first of all I thought excellent then I started thinking about it a bit more and then wondered if the director would influence it too much with his/her opinion rather than reflect the book, so I will wait to hear reviews first I think.