H£IST - Howard Sounes

Product Description

On 22 February 2006, GBP53 million was stolen from a cash warehouse belonging to the Securitas company in Tonbridge, Kent. In terms of value, the robbery puts previous British capers, such as the Great Train Robbery, in the shade. This was a crime notable for its audacity, carried out by an unlikely crew of players that included a used car salesman, two Albanian casual workers and a roofer. Five men were convicted at the Old Bailey in January 2008, which attracted nationwide media coverage. A sixth man, Paul Allen, was sentenced in October 2009 for his part. Having become close to the Tonbridge gang and the police during three years of research, Sounes relates a classic crime caper in irresistible, almost forensic detail. After the robbery comes the exciting, sometimes comical story of the getaway. Money is found and arrests are made but key characters slip out of the country, and millions of pounds are still missing. HEIST is the definitive account of these compelling events, is wildly entertaining, and a must for all fans of well-written true crime.

Review

I was first attracted to this book because the robbery happened where I grew up. Not to mention that £1.3 million was sat a couple of hundred yards from my house in a white van at the Ashford International Hotel. I have lost count of how many times I must have driven past that van on the day it was dumped there.

This true story is written in an easy way, even the long legal cases are written in a manner that is easy to read. The author has a talent for telling a story whilst still giving the facts collected. On the areas of the case that are still “grey areas” the author gives the facts and allows the reader to make their own opinions. What is better than reading a crime novel that leaves you still to answer questions.

I thought I knew a lot about this case being so close in proximity to where it occurred but this book has given me even more facts. On the questions of the conspirators that were acquitted of the charges I have made my own opinions about them, as you will.

I thoroughly good read which leaves just one big question unanswered, just where is the other half of all that money that no one has found.