Perdido Street Station

vodkafan

review:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

I finally got around to reading this book that I had heard so much about on here. How to review this one without giving anything away? Well, if you like your sci-fi based on hard science fact then this book is not for you. But if you want to let your mind be taken on a walk among the what-ifs then this is a treat. You just have to suspend disbelief and go with it. This is an alternative universe where single shot flintlocks coexist with steam powered robots and punch card difference engines (computers). Not to mention all the various races (great, not an elf or a dwarf in sight!) and a sprinkling of magic.

I enjoyed it very much. It is a slow read I would say, there is a lot of description, which is not wasted because you do get the feel for this vast dirty city. I was from the first pages sucked into the story but I had no idea where it was going.

There was a fantastic bit half way through where the Mayor of the city looks into another dimension to consult with the representative of Hell to see if the Devil can help with the current emergency.

That just blew me away!! What was Mr Mieville smoking when he thought this up ?

I am glad you enjoyed this, I think you will probably love The Scar and The iron Council also set in the world of New Curbuzon, the Scar being the second of these books but all are stand alone novels.

I think that whatever China Mieville is smoking I will stay well away from it would give me nightmares. :D

I am actually grateful for the spoiler, 'cos you've given away precisely the kind of moment that tells me I will love a book! Whatever Mieville was smoking I want in - even though I entirely chickened out of applying to do a Creative Writing PhD with him (he lectures at Warwick) because he scares me a little bit :lol:!

review:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

That just blew me away!! What was Mr Mieville smoking when he thought this up ?

I too was blown away, Mieville is a genius! Many people say they felt dirty or disturbed after reading Mieville's descriptions but I for one was lapping it up, I wanted more! :) As pickle said, you should definitely check out The Scar and Iron Council, they are stand alone books but if you read them in order I personally think you get more from them as it is still linear in the events taking place in each book, events in P.S.S are mentioned in both The Scar and Iron Council.

Whatever Mieville was smoking I want in - even though I entirely chickened out of applying to do a Creative Writing PhD with him (he lectures at Warwick) because he scares me a little bit :lol:!

I work at Warwick and hope everyday that I'll bump into him but nothing up until now :( I wait for my bus outside the building his office is supposed to be in and wonder if his office looks out and he can see me....yes a bit odd :lol: