Faulks on fiction

ian

In case anyone has missed the trailers for this, Sebastian Faulks is presenting a new show looking at popular charactors in fiction and how they influence popular culture beyond their original books. Charactors such as James Bond, Jeeves & Wooster, Sherlock Holmes etc.

It starts this Saturday, BBC 2 at 9pm.

Should be interesting and makes a change from watching a reality show! Maybe a shame that it's just looking at British books, but I guess it's a big subject

Ian

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching it as well but I might have to record it as it wouldn't be the whole family's idea of good Saturday night viewing. I think there's a programme on before it about books but can't remember what it's called or maybe that's on a different channel (hunts round for TV guide) :irked:

Faulks was on Open Book on Radio 4 this week talking to Mariella Frostrup about the first programme which is all about "Heroes" and although it was very good natured, Mariella did give him a bit of a grilling about the almost completely male lineup in his choices to include in the show. I'll still be watching it though, and in case anyone doesn't know, it's part of the BBC's Year of Books, with a host of programmes across radio and television, including new television adaptations, documentaries, radio dramas and debates. Some of it looks great!

I enjoyed it, but it does mean adding a couple more books to the virtual TBR pile! Particularly "Tom Jones" and "Vanity Fair"

I enjoyed it, but I thought that some of the characters that came under the hearding of 'heroes' .. weren't. I can see the case for Winston Smith but I think he rather loses his heroic status when he betrays Julia (it was understandable and natural .. but it wasn't heroic) but the choice I was most at odds with was Becky Sharp .. for one she's not a man and two she wasn't heroic, she was an entirely fascinating character to read about but she was calculating, self absorbed and manipulative .... how can that be heroic? If anyone was a hero in 'Vanity Fair' surely it had to be Dobbin. I guess it's all subjective .. everyone will feel differently and have different characters in mind.

I liked the programme though and look forward to the rest.

We watched it last night. It was okay, but I gradually got more and more annoyed that wardrobe obviously decided that he needed to wear the same outfit for the entire programme regardless of whether he was on a deserted tropical beach, walking through the city of London or at a down at heel block of flats, it was the same hideous pink shirt!!!! I know this is completely irrelevant to the content of the programme, but it irritated me a lot! I'd heard him talk about the first show on Open Book on Radio 4, so I already knew who he'd picked, there weren't any particularly ground breaking ideas discussed, and it sort of felt like an excuse to go on a jolly to the beach and get a few of his author friends on screen.

I'll carry on watching them, but it didn't seem like unmissable television to me.

it sort of felt like an excuse to go on a jolly to the beach and get a few of his author friends on screen.

I'll carry on watching them, but it didn't seem like unmissable television to me.

I couldn't help thinking that he chose Robinson Crusoe just so that he could go sauntering along that magnificent tropical beach .. I mean, that wasn't Skegness was it.

I quite enjoyed it, but really, are there no more heroes in books?! Although I must admit I'm struggling to think of any, surely Jim Dixon can't possibly be the last ever?!

I also started watching The Birth of the British Novel on iPlayer but I nodded off! :blush:

I'm sure I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Faulks actually wanted to look at the changes in British society as reflected by different types of characters in books, rather than just his favourites, and that's why he chose those particular "Heroes" in this first episode. He is, however, convinced that the are, and can be, no more heroes in literary fiction, and that the hero will only be created in genre fiction.