Hello From Not So Sunny Scotland

VirtualScot

Greetings my name is Graeme. I'm 24 from Scotland, and for most of my life I have struggled with dyslexia. Which has been a hindrance to me engaging in regular reading. Not because of my inability to read. Rather my lack of ability to concentrate. Words start to go all over the place and it gets frustrating.

But now I'm taking active steps to combat this affliction, which has denied me from enjoying the gift of the written word. I came here in the spirit of that, and hope to be greeted with a warm, friendly open mind group.

I don't know if it's just my ignorance. But trying to find sources on what books are coming out and various other things of that nature. Has proved rather elusive.

So I hope maybe you guys can provide some and offer up recommendations.

Currently I have read two books from the Shardlake series (Sovereign and Revelation), and have ordered a hardback copy of Heartstone. So I say I do have a thing for historical based crime fiction for sure.

Hello Graeme and welcome to the forum! This place is awesome, the people are reall friendly as you will find out, I promise. And may I warn you, you will be getting so many excellent recommendations on here that you might want to start saving money NOW for all the books that you'll be wanting to buy :giggle2:

Hello Graeme and welcome to the forum! This place is awesome, the people are reall friendly as you will find out, I promise. And may I warn you, you will be getting so many excellent recommendations on here that you might want to start saving money NOW for all the books that you'll be wanting to buy :giggle2:

lol thanks. I already watch about 200 odd films a year. So looks like I'm going to have to get even more thrifty.

Well maybe this year you won't have any time for movies when you start reading, so you can spend that money towards books :giggle:

Possibly :P

lol

It was my intention to strike a balance between all meaningful forms of entertainment and enrichment to me. So I assume that yes my film watching will take a knock.

But I can not completely dismiss something I enjoy and love in favour of something else.

Hello Graeme, welcome to BCF, I'm sure you'll settle in great here. Don't you worry about recommendations, I can guarantee that before long you'll be struggling to decide which book to get hold of first, as opposed to the elusive search you find yourself presented with now. In any case, I hope to find you amongst discussion, and once again welcome to the friendliest book forum on the web.

Edited by Ben

Hi Graeme! :welcome2:

With regards to finding out when new books are coming out, we've got a thread about it here http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7024-question-about-new-books/ but often if there are fans of a particular author on the forum, they tend to post a comment somewhere to say they're looking forward to a new book coming out. My favourite sources of info tend to be authors own websites, publishers websites and twitter.

Welcome!

Run while you can. This place is evil, I tell you, EVIL!

There are books out there I never even knew existed until I joined here.

Now my wishlist keeps growing and growing.

Run, I tell you!

Oh, here. Have some of these. :JC_cookies:

:D

Hello fellow Scot...where are you from. I'm in Aberdeen and there are a few other Scots kicking around here. You will find heaps of things to interest you on the site.

Have fun finding your way around.:welcome2:

Hello fellow Scot...where are you from. I'm in Aberdeen and there are a few other Scots kicking around here. You will find heaps of things to interest you on the site.

Have fun finding your way around.:welcome2:

Livingston. Place with to many roundabouts.

Personally I say there are more aesthetically pleasing places to live. But besides that and few social problems here and there, it's pretty decent and friendly.

Hey there Graeme, and welcome to BCF! :D

This place is great for the word-of-mouth recommendations, and you'll soon find people who share your taste and introduce you to new authors. I'm a mucho big film viewer myself and look forward to discussing that topic with you as well.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...