Sara reads 2011

SaraPepparkaka

Two books read: "blueeyedboy" by Joanne Harris. A good read, definately more like "Gentlemen and players" than "Chocolat". Nothing is as it seems, the people aren't who you think they are, and you can't be certain of anything. Lots of twists and turns that I didn't see coming. A good read.

"Message in a bottle" by Nicholas Sparks, perfect for what I needed, that is escape from a boring bus trip, other than that, a traditional romantic tale. I haven't seen the film, which was good, since I'm not that fond of Kevin Costner, so it would probably have put me off reading the book in the first place. This one I bought in a second-hand shop that the Red Cross have, so I bought it for a good cause!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New and interesting reading!

I picked up a book in the library, "The crossing places" by Elly Griffiths, just because of all the places on earth it takes place in King's Lynn. Now, there aren't that many places in Egland I am familiar with, but I have actually been to King's Lynn. And on top of that it was fine reading. AND it's the first book- I have managed to start at book one for once. Ruth is an archaeologist, and when the police finds bones, they consult her. The bones turn out to be from the Iron Age, not the bones of a girl recently disappeared. Ruth gets involved of course, and into the story we go, looking for this girl, and a girl who disappeared ten years ago.

"Love begins in winter" by Simon Van Booy. A collection of five short stories, and some of the most beautiful language I've read in a while. Five different ways to look at love, but all a bit melancholy. I will read it again, no doubt about that, and enjoy the way the words are put together. Here's a quote:

"If there is such a thing as marriage, it takes place long before the ceremony: in a car on the way to the airport; or as a gray bedroom fills with dawn, one lover watching the other; or as two strangers stand together in the rain with no bus in sight, arms weighed down with shopping bags. You don’t know then. But later you realize—that was the moment.”

And then, not a new writer for me, "Welcome to Temptation" by Jennifer Crusie. Not her finest, but occasionally there's witty dialogue and funny scenes.

thanks for the heads up! I have added The crossing places by Elly Griffiths to my wishlist as I live not too far from Kings Lynn!

I recently read The crossing places by Elly Griffiths, and thoroughly enjoyed it, mmmmmmm I live in Hunstanton and as it took place in the vacinity, it was great that all the places and the area had a familiar feel to them

We should form a King's Lynn Society!

Anyway, I read another book that I chose based on where the murder happens. "One good turn" by Kate Atkinson. It's the Edinburgh Festival, and a minor car accident leads to multiple murders and the discovery of strange connections between people you'd think have nothing at all in common. I didn't really like the book, or it was ..OK, sort of. Everything just seemed so farfetched and unlikely. But it was nice when I recognised the odd place here and there!

I also read a short little book by Margaret Atwood, "The Penelopiad". I thought it sounded interesting with the Iliad from Penelope's perspective, but it could have been a lot more than it really was. Still, I liked the "chorus" chapters, and it was a really fast read. AND she's Canadian, which means this counts in my UN challenge.

I'm so glad you liked the Simon Van Booy book, Sara - his short stories are among the best I've read, and this collection was just wonderful. I've read the follow up collection, The Secret Lives of People in Love and also his first novel which was published earlier this year, and his writing is exquisite at times. I read an article about his which said how he lost his wife to a rare illness at a young age, and is bringing up their young daughter now, and I think this sets the emotional tone in his writing.

You could tell it was by the same author, and the quality of the writing was the same, but the structure was definitely that of a novel, and on a couple of occasions it took me feet out from under me, as I had no idea what the story was about and was so surprised by what happened. One of my favourite books of the year so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the need for comfort reading. "Lie by moonlight" by Amanda Quick. Teacher arranges escape from old castle for her four students, they run into mysterious gentleman who investigates this and that, which has led him to that old castle. And then they live happily ever after. Something like that. I may have skipped a few steps. Anyway, this is one of the better Amanda Quick books. I liked this, for example: ”Are you threatening to ravish me, sir?” she asked. ”Because if so, I think it would be best if I removed my glasses first. You know how they tend to fog up when you become passionate.”

And then, since it's nice to read about murder and mayhem when the evenings get dark, "Dark places" by Gillian Flynn. Almost all of Libby's family was murdered when she was a little girl. Libby and her brother survived, and Libby's testimony put her brother Ben in prison for the murders. Libby is now grown up and broke, so she agrees to make an appearance at a meeting for a group of people interested in the murder of her family. The group seems to think Ben is innocent, and slowly Libby starts wondering what really happened that night. Complicated relationships give points, nice and winding story, but in the end it's not the book of the year for me. It is the book of the month so far though.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about not updating this. Just to let you know, since the middle of October, I have read

"The old-girl network"- Catherine Alliott ('90s chick-lit)

"We have always lived in the castle" - Shirley Jackson

Steve Sem-Sandberg- the book about the ghetto in Lodz, Poland- I have a feeling it may have been translated to English, but I read it in Swedish.

"The Cider house rules"- John Irving

"Heartstone" - CJ Sansom

"A girl's guide to kissing frogs" - Victoria Clayton

"Sirila gentlemän sökes"- Karin Brunk-Holmqvist (chick-lit for retired ladies I suppose, love in the old people's home, and I don't think this one has been translated!)

And of these, the best was actually "We have always lived in the castle", very well written book, and I will read more by this author.

"We have always lived in the castle" - Shirley Jackson

And of these, the best was actually "We have always lived in the castle", very well written book, and I will read more by this author.

agree...I really enjoyed it.....and I love Shirley Jackson, have read several of her books

I read A Girls Guide to Kissing Frogs last year and really didnt like the ending!

He did seem awfully sure of himself. Other than that, I was OK with it.

agree...I really enjoyed it.....and I love Shirley Jackson, have read several of her books

Yes it seems worthwile to look for more books by her.

• 2 weeks later...

Books read since last time:

"Liquidation" by Imre Kertész (Hungary crossed from my UN challenge list!)

"Agatha Raisin and the walkers of Dembley" by M C Beaton. I gave up on trying to find no. 1 in the series and read this one. Good for killing a bit of time, didn´t leave a lasting impression.

"Complaints" by Ian Rankin. But oh, how I missed Rebus.

"Vinteräpplen" by Josefine Sundström. Book about three generations of women in a small town - Kaskö- very close to where I live. Didn't really enjoy, seemed just to be about how badly they were treated and how sorry I should feel for them. I can't see it ever being translated.