~Weave's World of Books 2011~

Weave

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls ~ Book 1) by Maggie Stiefvater (re~read) ~ Started: 12.07.11 ~ Finished: 17.07.11

51.jpg

Synopsis ~

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

The Story ~

'Shiver' is the first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

Review from December 2009 ~

‘Shiver’ tells the story of Grace, attacked and bitten by wolves when she was eleven years old, and now six years later still finds herself drawn to the yellowed eyed wolf who watches her all winter, there is a connection between them and as the story progressed you find out how strong the connection is.

I enjoyed ‘Shiver’, it was a different take on the werewolf genre and the story was well written. Grace, the main character was a likeable character, I liked that she was sure of herself, how quickly she has grown up. Sam, the other main character, was also a likeable character, the tortured soul who is fighting to keep some fragment of humanity.

Parts of the book reminded me of ‘Twilight’, and readers of ‘Twilight’ will know what parts I mean but given that, ‘Shiver’ as a story stands on its own and gains its own merit.

A good read, enjoyable and different, looking forward to the sequel ~ ‘Linger’.

2010 ~

I re~read 'Shiver' last year in preparation of 'Linger' being released but I can't find the review.

Review ~ July 2011 ~

This is my third time reading 'Shiver' and I still enjoyed reading it just as much. The characters are memorable and you will care about them. I liked the fact that even though it was a YA book it was not condescending with regards to Sam and Grace's relationship, they are teenagers but they are old souls and it shows.

As with my previous reviews ~ 10/10

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls ~ Book 2) by Maggie Stiefvater (re~read) ~ Started: 17.07.11 ~ Finished: 20.07.11

52.jpg

Synopsis ~

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack and Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.

The Story ~

'Linger' is the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

Review from July 2010 ~

As many of you know I enjoyed 'Shiver', the story of Grace and Sam and their fight to be together due to Sam's struggle to stop becoming a werewolf forever. Shiver' finished on a positive note with more of Sam and Grace's story to come.

I enjoyed 'Linger', it was much more intense than 'Shiver' and with the additional view points of Isabel and the new wolf, Cole added to the mix, it made for great reading, I found Isabel hilarious at times because she was so straight to the point but at the same time so wounded by her recent loss, I felt sad for her. Grace and Sam were as memorable as ever, they are both well written and lovely characters, in 'Linger' they are both going through changes which are difficult for the both of them to cope with, and at the same time showing how much strength of character they both have. Cole, the newest wolf and character I did not warm to initially but my view of him did change as I read.

For me, 'Linger' was a lot sadder than 'Shiver' (and I had a lump in my throat at the end of 'Shiver' the second time I read it), so you can imagine what was I like at the end of 'Linger'. A powerful story which I think will appeal to everyone who enjoy a well written story with a difference.

I am looking forward to the next and final instalment, 'Forever', which is due for release next year.

Review ~ July 2011 ~

This was my second time reading 'Linger' and as with 'Shiver', I enjoyed re~reading it. I love Sam and Grace, they are great characters to read. As mentioned in the review, I found 'Linger' to be a more intense read which made for great reading.

As with my previous review ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls~Book 3) by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 20.07.11 ~ Finished: 29.07.11

53.jpg

Synopsis ~

“Grace,” I whispered. “This isn't how it ends.”

Sam had always loved Grace. As a wolf, he watched her from afar. As a boy he held her in his arms.

Now facing the possibility of a life without her, he will do anything to keep her safe. Even if it means facing his demons. Even if it risks everything he has.

Anything, as long as their love can survive.

The heart~wrenching finale to the best-selling Shiver and Linger.

The Story ~

'Forever' is the third and final book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

'Forever' begins following the events in 'Linger' with Sam and Grace's struggle for their relationship to survive continuing. All of the characters lives have changed, Sam is leading his life the best way he can while he waits for Grace to return, Grace waits for the weather to change so she can return to Sam. Cole is trying to find a way to help them find a cure, while Isabel still mourns her brother and lives with the tense relationship between her and her parents whilst fighting her attraction to Cole.

Sam is also under scrutiny by the police following the disappearance of Grace and Grace's friend, Olivia, added to this, is the fact that members of the community want rid of the wolves, Sam has to save himself, Grace and Cole before its too late.

What I thought of 'Forever' ~

'Forever' for me was definitely the best of the series, Sam and Grace find themselves again separated which was heartbreaking because you know they are meant to be together but they are made to part by a situation that is out of their control. Sam and Grace both go through changes in 'Forever', Sam faces his past to help him save the wolves, while Grace faces her future. Cole shows his worth throughout the book and it was great to read because Cole is a strong character, as was Isabel, a girl misunderstood because it suits her but you can see the person she really is behind the mask.

As with the previous books in the series, it was brilliantly descriptive, you can imagine the sights and sounds of Boundary Woods, a very visual book.

The ending is open~ended which I liked because I honestly saw good things happening for Sam and Grace with struggles along the way, which as strong characters they would be able to cope with (and that Grace finally gets her red coffee pot). I hope that one day Maggie Stiefvater will return to Sam and Grace but for the time being, I have her other books waiting to be read.

Rating ~ 10/10

Oh, I can't wait till I get my copy of Forever. Your review makes me excited to read it right away.

:) I hope you enjoy it nursenblack, I can't wait to read what you think of it. :)

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King ~ Started: 29.07.11 ~ Finished: 01.08.11

54.jpg

Synopsis ~

'I believe there is another man inside every man, a stranger...' writes Wilfred Leland James in the early pages of the riveting confession that makes up '1922', the first in this pitch-black quartet of mesmerising tales from Stephen King, linked by the theme of retribution. For James, that stranger is awakened when his wife Arlette proposes selling off the family homestead and moving to Omaha, setting in motion a gruesome train of murder and madness.

In 'Big Driver', a cozy-mystery writer named Tess encounters the stranger is along a back road in Massachusetts when she takes a shortcut home after a book-club engagement. Violated and left for dead, Tess plots a revenge that will bring her face to face with another stranger: the one inside herself.

'Fair Extension', the shortest of these tales, is perhaps the nastiest and certainly the funniest. Making a deal with the devil not only saves Harry Streeter from a fatal cancer but provides rich recompense for a lifetime of resentment. When her husband of more than twenty years is away on one of his business trips, Darcy Anderson looks for batteries in the garage. Her toe knocks up against a box under a worktable and she discovers the stranger inside her husband. It's a horrifying discovery, rendered with bristling intensity, and it definitively ends 'A Good Marriage'.

The Story ~

'Full Dark, No Stars' is the latest collection of novellas by Stephen King which deal with retribution.

'1922':

'1922' is narrated by Wilfred James, a farmer in Hemingford Home, Nebraska who lives with his wife Arlette and his son Henry (Hank). Wilfred has always taken pride in working his land and when his wife inherits the adjoining 100 acres from her father, Wilfred want to add it to his own current 80 acres much to Arlette's chagrin, she wants to sells her father's land to a livestock company and leave the farm behind and move to Omaha, this is definitely not what Wilfred wants, he begins to manipulate Henry into believing that if he moves to Omaha, he will be an outcast. In June 1922, Wilfred kills Arlette and Henry helps to move the body into the well beside their barn. Wilfred and Henry's lives slowly become worse, Wilfred is being tormented by rats (which the well was infested with) and Henry is living with the guilt and begins to hate his father, which leads him into trouble and for both of them, a slow descent into madness.

'Big Driver':

'Big Driver' is the story of Tess, author (a cozy mystery writer) of the Willow Grove Knitting Group series (12 book so far) who is invited to a speaking engagement at a library in Chicopee, Massachusetts. Following the advisement of the head librarian, Ramona Norville, Tess takes a shortcut to get home faster, she sets off on her journey when her tire is punctured by smashed shards of wood with nails in them left in the middle of a isolated road, with only a deserted ESSO station Tess is stranded, no signal on her mobile phone and no other traffic to help. Eventually a man appears, an enormous man offering to help her change her tire which Tess gratefully accepts until the situation changes and Tess's life changes forever and she is no longer the woman she was, she wants revenge.

'Fair Extension':

'Fair Extension' is the story of Dave Streeter diagnosed with a illness with low odds of being cured. One evening as Dave is passing by the airport, he sees a man at a stall (the area is famous for road~side sellers) who sells extensions and his name is David Elvid and what he is offering Dave, is a extension of his life for a small fee and to transfer the 'weight' of his misfortune on to someone he knows, Dave does, he passes his misfortune to his best friend, Tom Goodhugh. Dave's health quickly improves whilst Tom's becomes worse and bad luck descends on his family.

What does this mean for Dave and Tom's friendship?

'A Good Marriage':

'A Good Marriage' is the story of Darcy Anderson, happily married to Bob, an accountant and a numismatist (a collector of coins) for 27 years. Darcy and Bob have 'a good marriage' and Darcy takes pride in the fact that there is no secrets between them but everything changes for Darcy when she finds something in garage, which shocks and scares her, maybe Bob isn't the man she thought he was, could Bob be the serial killer 'Beadie'?

Bonus story~Hodder and Stoughton Edition 'Under the Weather':

'Under the Weather' is the story of Brad and Ellen, a happily married couple who are unable to have children. Brad who works in advertisement leaves his wife in bed as she is still recovering from a bout of bronchitis. Brad goes to work and has a typical day until he gets a telephone call from his building manager about the smell in the apartment next door to him, what is causing the smell?

What I thought 'Full Dark, No Stars' ~

I have always been a fan of Stephen King but over the last few years I have not read any of his books (I think the last book I read was 'Cell') as much as I love his novels, I enjoy his novellas more and I loved 'Full Dark, No Stars', the story were very dark (and some parts were hard to read) but they are all brilliantly written, every story is about a normal person dealing with the dark side of life and that is one of the main things I like about Stephen King's, the people he writes about are normal people, who for whatever reason do something totally unexpected, its the last thing you expect and that for me is excellent writing.

Highly recommended (but be warned there is shocks in store).

Rating: 10/10

I have always been a fan of Stephen King but over the last few years I have not read any of his books (I think the last book I read was 'Cell') as much as I love his novels, I enjoy his novellas more and I loved 'Full Dark, No Stars', the story were very dark (and some parts were hard to read) but they are all brilliantly written, every story is about a normal person dealing with the dark side of life and that is one of the main things I like about Stephen King's, the people he writes about are normal people, who for whatever reason do something totally unexpected, its the last thing you expect and that for me is excellent writing.

Highly recommended (but be warned there is shocks in store).

Rating: 10/10

I bought FDNS the other week, and have been really looking forward to reading it - your great review has bumped it up to the top of my TBR list!

Like you, I always loved Stephen King, but didn't enjoy much of what he wrote from The Tommyknockers to Duma Key (I did enjoy Needful Things, but found Dreamcatcher so bad that I actually threw it away after the first chapter!). I did enjoy Duma Key quite a lot, though, and also Under The Dome although I thought it suffered from being just a bit too long; I would say they were well on the way to being as good as his earlier work, so if you haven't tried either of them they might be worth a go. :)

I love your new avatar, Weave! Where did you find it?

Great reviews, as always. :friends3:

Thanks Kylie, I got my avatar from one of my goodreads friends :)

Edited by Weave

I bought FDNS the other week, and have been really looking forward to reading it - your great review has bumped it up to the top of my TBR list!

Like you, I always loved Stephen King, but didn't enjoy much of what he wrote from The Tommyknockers to Duma Key (I did enjoy Needful Things, but found Dreamcatcher so bad that I actually threw it away after the first chapter!). I did enjoy Duma Key quite a lot, though, and also Under The Dome although I thought it suffered from being just a bit too long; I would say they were well on the way to being as good as his earlier work, so if you haven't tried either of them they might be worth a go. :)

I think you will enjoyed it FDNS, for me anyway, he is definitely back to his old self, I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts :) I didn't like 'The Tommyknockers' and I never finished 'Dreamcatcher', my husband recently read 'Under the Dome' and enjoyed it (I agree, it looks a long read). I am a sucker for his early stuff Ooshie, I have lost count how many times I have re~read 'Carrie', 'Salem's Lot' and 'The Dead Zone' :)

Grace Williams Says its Loud by Emma Henderson ~ Started: 01.08.11 ~ Finished: 06.08.11

54-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

The doctors said no more could be done and advised Grace's parents to put her away.

On her first day at the Briar Mental Institute, Grace, aged eleven, meets Daniel.

Debonair Daniel, an epileptic who can type with his feet, sees a different Grace: someone to share secrets and canoodle with, someone to fight for.

A deeply affecting, spirit-soaring story of love against the odds.

The Story ~

'Grace Williams Says its Loud' is the story of Grace Henderson, a story which she narrates. Grace was born with severe disabilities which became worse due to Poliomyelitis (Polio). Grace is eventually sent to Briar House where she meets Daniel, a debonair, individualistic boy who suffers from epilepsy and has no arms following a tragic accident. Grace and Daniel are there for the same reason, their health problems, Grace's parents tries desperately to keep Grace at home and care for her but they are advised by Grace's doctors that Briar House is the best place for her, Grace's parents feelings of guilt cause problems in their marriage.

Grace and Daniel's friendships develops as the story progresses and they fall in love, Daniel shows Grace a world of hopes and dreams, which they can both achieve.

What I thought of 'Grace Williams Says its Loud' ~

I have mixed feelings about the book, it was well written and insightful but at the same time, it did make me feel slightly non plus because I felt that Grace deserved more and because of the time which the book is set in (from the 1950s onwards), Grace had to face ignorance from people who did not understand her, which is part of Grace's story and her growth as a person but even at the end, I still felt she deserved more. Grace is a likeable character, very warm and memorable, as was Daniel, he kept the story going with his enthusiasm and his relationship with Grace.

The book also showed how dire it was in care homes during the 1950s onwards which frankly infuriated me, I understood that in the 1950s, situations were swept under the carpet but I could not helping wishing that someone would protect Grace, Daniel and the residents, take a stand but it never happened and as loud as Grace spoke, she never told anyone what was happening because tragically she did not understand, which saddened me more because she had been let down so badly.

Rating ~ 5/10

I read Grace Williams a couple of months ago, my thoughts were similar to yours, it was rather like a documentary of how things used to be. From what I have read before about asylums hers was a familiar tale so it's not a book to read if you are easily depressed. Thankfully, in general anyway, care nowadays is much kinder and more aimed at improving a patients condition.

I'm glad to hear someone have the same thoughts as me about Full Dark, No Stars - I much prefer his older books, and I felt this was in that same, older style. :)

:)

I read Grace Williams a couple of months ago, my thoughts were similar to yours, it was rather like a documentary of how things used to be. From what I have read before about asylums hers was a familiar tale so it's not a book to read if you are easily depressed. Thankfully, in general anyway, care nowadays is much kinder and more aimed at improving a patients condition.

I agree chaliepud :)

Frankie and Janet ~ it is a interesting read, the beauty of avid readers is that we all see books differently, happy reading :)

• 1 month later...

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist ~ Started: 07.08.11 ~ Finished: 25.08.11

55.jpg

Synopsis ~

It was a beautiful winter's day. Anders, his wife and their feisty six-year-old, Maja, set out across the ice of the Swedish archipelago to visit the lighthouse on Gavasten. There was no one around, so they let her go on ahead. And she disappeared, seemingly into thin air, and was never found.

Two years later, Anders is a broken alcoholic, his life ruined. He returns to the archipelago, the home of his childhood and his family. But all he finds are Maja's toys and through the haze of memory, loss and alcohol, he realizes that someone - or something - is trying to communicate with him.

Soon enough, his return sets in motion a series of horrifying events which exposes a mysterious and troubling relationship between the inhabitants of the remote island and the sea.

The Story ~

'Harbour' is the story of Anders and the residents of Domaro, and their history with the Swedish archipelago of Gavasten, where a lighthouse sits shedding its light onto the sea.

The story begins with Anders, his wife Cecilia and their six year old daughter, Maja setting off on a day out to the lighthouse on Gavasten, the sea has frozen solid, so the family walk safely across to the archipelago, watching from his home, is Simon, Ander's step~grandfather and Simon's friend, Elof, who notices the family walking across the ice, when he finds out that they are going to Gavasten, he asks Simon to phone Anders and tell him to return, much to the confusion of Simon, he knows the frozen sea is safe as does Elof but he is adamant that they must return but Anders never gets the call because his mobile is switched off.

Events take a turn for the worst when Maja disappears without a trace, there is no holes in the ice and no sign of her, except on the footpath where her footprints abruptly stop. Anders and Cecilia lives slowly unravelled and they split up, then Anders returns to Domaro two years later to find his daughter, will he discover the secrets of Domaro and Gavasten, will he find Maja?

What I thought of 'Harbour' ~

I am a fan of John Ajvide Lindqvist and 'Harbour' definitely met up to my expectations, you are engrossed from the first page, the story of Anders and his family and the history of Domaro is interesting and well written, it was not difficult to imagine the sights and sounds of Domaro and the ominous feeling of dread which clouds over the isolated town and the residents , who all share the same fear and have come to accept it and as the story progresses Anders begins to see what is wrong with Domaro and refuses to accept what has happened to Maja and faces the ghosts of Domaro and Gavasten in more ways than one.

'Harbour' is a supernatural story with the added bonus of exploring the history of Domaro and the stories of the lives of the residents and what they have witnessed, the feelings of Anders are shown brilliantly, how much has character has changed because of the lost of his daughter and his marriage, his descent into deeper alcoholism is sad to read too. A story that will give you the creeps, so remember to lock your doors.

Rating ~ 10/10

Sin Undone (Demonica ~ Book 5) by Larissa Ione ~ Started: 25.08.11 ~ Finished: 27.08.11

56.jpg

Synopsis ~

Her touch is deadly. His hunger can't be denied. As the only female Seminus demon ever born, master assassin Sinead Donnelly is used to being treated like an outcast. She spent decades enslaved and now vows she'll die before she'll relinquish her freedom again. Then Sin's innate ability to kill her enemies goes awry: She creates a lethal new werewolf virus that sparks a firestorm of panic and violence. Half-werewolf, half-vampire Conall Dearghul is charged with bringing in Sin to face punishment for the plague. And she's no stranger: He's bound to her by blood and the one sexual encounter they shared has left him hungering for her raw sensuality. Worse, Sin is the underworld's most wanted and Con soon learns he's the only one who can help her ...and that saving her life might mean sacrificing his own.

The Story ~

'Sin Undone' is the fifth book in the Demonica series.

'Sin Undone' is the story of Sinead 'Sin' Donnelly, the only female Seminus demon ever born and master assassin. Sin's background is traumatic, having been enslaved following the discovery she was a seminus demon, now she is free and the leader of her own assassins. Sin's ability is the power to kill her enemies with illness or a virus and she inadvertently creates a virus that kills werewolves. Conall 'Con' Dearghul is a half werewolf and half vampire who can carry the virus but cannot spread it and he has been ordered to bring Sin for her punishment but Sin and Con's relationship has changed, he is growing addicted to her blood and Sin has a high price on her head, which all assassins and her own want to cash in on, can Con keep her safe?, can a cure be found?

What I thought of 'Sin Undone' ~

I have enjoyed all the books in the Demonica series, they are light, fun and easy reads and you know what to expect from then and the same goes for 'Sin Undone'. I liked the characters of Sin and Con, they are definitely compatible and have a great rapport, which is always good to read between characters.

A good read, its just a pity they end so quickly.

Rating ~ 6/10

Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell ~ Started: 27.08.11 ~ Finished: 28.08.11

57.jpg

Synopsis ~

Meet the residents of 31 Almanac Road ...

Ralph and Smith are flatmates and best mates - until, that is, the gorgeous Jemima moves in. And suddenly they're bickering about a lot more than who drank the last beer. Of course, Jem knows that one of them is the man for her - but is it Ralph or Smith?

Upstairs, Karl and Siobhan have been happily unmarried for fifteen years - until, that is, Cheri moves into the flat above theirs. Cheri's got her eye on Karl and doesn't see why she should let a little thing like his girlfriend stand in her way ...

Sooner or later its all got to come to a head - and what better place for tears and laughter, break ups and make ups than Ralph's party.

The Story ~

'Ralph's Party' is the story of the lives of the residents of 31 Almanac Road, Ralph and Smith, friends since school who now share a flat, Jemima, their new flatmate and love interest for Smith and potential love interest for Ralph, whilst Jemima believes she has found her destiny in Smith, is he the man of her dreams? Karl and Siobhan, a happy couple with no intention of getting married, Karl has just hit the big time in radio, Siobhan is worried about her weight and looks, could she lose Karl? And Cheri, the object of Smith's affection but she does not know, she has her eye on Karl and Siobhan will not stop her from pursuing him. All of the residents have their problems and they all come to a conclusion at Ralph's Party.

What I thought of 'Ralph's Party' ~

I have lost count how many times I have read 'Ralph's Party' (I am now on my third copy), its one of my favourite books. I love all the characters, they are realistic and well written, I have always had a kinship with Siobhan for various reasons and I love how she changes in the book, its a positive change and its nice to read. Ralph and Jemima are both memorable characters, they are so similar in so many ways and they do not see it, you want them to be together. Smith is somewhat of an annoying character which I never liked but he plays his part in the book which leads to good things.

An excellent story of people and their lives, a nice, relaxing and fun read which you will read again and again.

Rating ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

After the Party by Lisa Jewell ~ Started: 28.08.11 ~ Finished: 01.09.11

58.jpg

Synopsis ~

Eleven years ago, Jem Catterick and Ralph McLeary fell in love. They thought it would be for ever, that they’d found their happy ending.

Then two became four, a flat became a house. Romantic nights out became sleepless nights in. And they soon found that life wasn’t quite so simple any more.

Now the unimaginable has happened. Two people who were so right together are starting to drift apart – Ralph is standing on the sidelines, and Jem is losing herself. Something has to change. As they try to find a way back to each other, back to what they once had, they both become dangerously distracted – but maybe it’s not too late to recapture happily ever after …

The Story ~

Its been eleven years since 'Ralph's Party' and Jem and Ralph live together and have two children, Scarlett and baby Blake, they have always been happy in their relationship but since the birth of Blake they have began to drift apart, Ralph is looking for a change, as is Jem but Jem is busy with the children and the house, she is increasingly frustrated by Ralph which causes more distance between them. Jem is surprised and grudgingly accepts when Ralph tells her he is going to California for a week to celebrate Smith, his and Jem's former flatmate's birthday. Jem is left to cope with life at home, while Ralph has a spiritual awakening and returns home to start anew with Jem but can they start anew?

What I thought of 'After The Party' ~

I enjoyed 'After The Party' as much as I did 'Ralph's Party', I liked the fact that Jem and Ralph has grew up along with the readers of 'Ralph's Party', the situation between Jem and Ralph will be familiar to readers and you will share in their feelings which made the book so engrossing. Jem and Ralph are memorable couple and you want everything to work out for them.

A brilliant sequel.

Rating ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

Oh, I didn't know Ralph's party had a sequel, and it seems it's a good one!

I didn't either Sara, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out, its a great sequel, very well written :)

The Resident by Francis Cottam ~ Started: 01.09.11 ~ Finished: 03.09.11

1-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Every year, three million single women in America move into an apartment for the first time. Few of them change the locks.

Juliet Devereau can't believe her luck: after weeks of looking for a place to live, she's found a beautiful, spacious apartment overlooking Brooklyn Bridge. It almost seems to good to be true.

It is... Over the weeks, a chilling sense of being watched stalks Juliet. Strange sounds wake her in the night, the mirror in the bathroom trembles, and doors she thought shut are open. Then the silhouette of a man standing in her living room makes her realise that she's not alone in there. But what's haunting her is far more terrifying than a malevolent spirit; it's alive, strong and obsessed. Suddenly Juliet is caught up in a deadly game of cat and mouse, and there's no guarantee that she'll come out alive...

The Story ~

'The Resident' is the story of Juliet Devereau, an ER doctor who returns home from a terrible day at work to find her husband in bed with another woman. Juliet leaves their home and after a extensive search finally finds the apartment of her dreams, it overlooks the Brooklyn Bridge, the owner and maintenance man of the building, Max and his grandfather, August, are friendly and welcoming. Juliet's dream apartment slowly becomes an nightmare, with strange sounds, glimpses of things that should not be there, what is haunting Juliet's apartment?

What I thought of 'The Resident' ~

I hated this book, it was in no way scary and was very predictable. I found it very hard to feel sympathy for Juliet, the story was pointless.

Disappointing.

Rating ~ 1/10

Ultraviolet by R.J Anderson ~ Started: 03.09.11 ~ Finished: 10.09.11

2-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori - the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

The Story ~

'Ultraviolet' is the story of sixteen-year-old Alison who wakes up in a hospital bed following a traumatic experience which at the start of the book has no memory of, all she knows is she being moved to a mental institution called 'Pine Hills' where she meets Dr Minta, who wants to find out what caused Alison psychotic break~down and why a girl named, Tori, a classmate's of Alison has went missing, Alison was the last person to see her before she disappeared and whatever happened has affected Alison deeply and now Dr Minta needs a diagnosis as to what has happened to Alison and answers to Tori's disappearance.

Alison finds herself in Red Maple (or as the residents called it 'Red Ward' and eventually Yellow Poplar), understandably withdrawn and trying to piece together what happened to her and Tori. Alison is introduced to Dr Sebastian Faraday, a visiting graduate student in neuropsychology from the University of South Africa who is completing a visual study and Alison is chosen to participate. Alison begins to trust Dr Faraday as he helps her to find out more about herself and her hidden fears, one being undiagnosed synaesthesia (which is a neurological condition in which one sense is experienced through the perception of another sense), which Alison kept hidden, she can see colours and smells. Slowly, Alison's memories become clearer and uses her synaesthesia to discover what happened to Tori, who Dr Faraday is? And to finally leave Pine Hills.

What I thought of 'Ultraviolet' ~

'Ultraviolet' is definitely a different kind of story, Alison tells her story from a mental institution, she is alone and unsure of her surroundings, she meets other residents, who all have their own issues and Alison gradually connects to them but there always the thought of what exactly happened to Tori? Alison is a strong and realistic character who faces what is happening in a quiet but strong way and its great to read. The story is researched well.

The only downside for me was that the story was quite slow but it still worked well and does not take anything away from the story because you are sharing Alison's experience and she is trying to work out what is happening to her.

I am looking forward to the sequel.

Rating ~ 10/10

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith ~ Started: 10.09.11 ~ Finished: 15.09.11

3-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Our story opens four years after the terrifying events of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". Our happily married protagonists, Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy, spend their days defending Meryton from the scourge of the unmentionables. The ever-meddling Mrs. Bennet is anxious for them to settle down and produce an heir-but everything changes when poor Fitzwilliam is nipped by a dreadful during battle. An apothecary is summoned, and his prognosis is unfortunate: Within days, Mr. Darcy is destined to transform into an unmentionable. Elizabeth is distraught. She knows the appropriate course of action is to promptly behead her husband (and then burn the corpse, just to be safe). But when she hears rumours of a miracle antidote that's being developed in London, she realizes there may be one last chance to save the life of her true love - and for everyone to live happily ever after.

Complete with 15 dazzling illustrations (and another stunning cover painting), 'Dreadfully Ever After' brings the 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' trilogy to a rousing conclusion.

The Story ~

Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy are back and still fighting the unmentionables and coping with married life, its been four years since they got married and Lizzie is unhappy because she is not allowed to fight (its against social decorum) and Darcy thinks that Lizzie is unhappy because they do not have children, they are discussing their problems when Darcy is unfortunately attacked by a unmentionable and bitten much to Lizzie and Darcy's horror.

Lizzie does not know what to do, well she does but she is not ready to cut her husband's head off and burn his body, so she contacts Darcy's aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh (ninja extraordinaire) to help her and help her she does, Lady Catherine knows about a vaccine in London, created by a Dr Sir Angus MacFarquhar in Bethlem Hospital, the only downside of the plan is that to get the vaccine, Lizzie must become someone else (Mrs Ursula Bromhead, widow from Manchester) and seduce Sir Angus, which Lizzie does not want to do but she has no choice and even more heart breaking, Lady Catherine insists that Lizzie does not tell Darcy anything and simply leave.

Lizzie leaves and Lady Catherine requests that Lizzie's father and her sister, Kitty help her (under the guise of Ursula's father and Ursula's sister, Avis, who must seduce Sir Angus McFarquhar's son, 'Bunny') and joining them on the journey somewhat unexpectedly, Lizzie and Kitty's sister, Mary. Time is running out for Darcy and the Bennets are not giving up without a fight, what will happen?

What I thought of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After' ~

I have enjoyed the whole series of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' and 'Deathly Ever After' is a brilliant ending to the series, the story as always, is funny and original. The story or in fact the series will not appeal to everyone, especially purists of Jane Austen but Steven Hockensmith takes a well loved story and adds zombies to it, which I love. I also love how the sisters are shown, they have changed throughout the series but they still share the same goal, fighting the unmentionables, and for Kitty and Mary hopefully finding a husband. There are twists and turns, and surprises as well.

A great ending

Rating ~ 9/10

What a shame about The Resident it sounds so good when you read the synopsis, I think I'll have to add Pride & Prejudice & Zombies to my wishlist though.

Great reviews Weave :)

Thanks Kidsmum, that is exactly what I thought too when I read the synopsis, I can't remember the last time how much I hated a book as much as I did 'The Resident', 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies~Dreadfully Ever After' is definitely a fun read, I hope you read it. :)