Ian's reading 2011

ian

Just finished Dean Koontz - Relentless. Not bad, but not his best. I find myself getting frustrated reading Koontz now because while I do enjoy his books, I know he can write much better stuff than this. He effectively is re-writing the same story over and over again, just changing a few details it seems. Flashes of the old brilliance present themselves, but not enough.

books read = 23

I agree.....while there were quite a few of his that I just couldn't put down......it seems every one of his that I start now, I just can't get into. (I also found that with John Grisham as well)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't posted for a while as I've been away. In the meantime I've just finished "Killing Ground" by Lee Child. This is the first of the Jack Reacher books and the first one I've read. I have to say I was impressed. I thought it was going to be a standard thriller, but there were lots of little details which initally look superfluous, but come back at the end. So I'll be adding all the others to my virtual TBR list.

Books read this year = 24.

Ian

Isn't that just the worst thing about libraries .. the pressure they put you under to finish and return books (ok, you can renew but I'm terrible at remembering to do it.)

Glad you enjoyed 'The Woman in White' Ian, I have it on my shelves somewhere (and 'the Moonstone') .. must get around to reading it.

Our Library does an email reminder which is brilliant, otherwise I would never remember, they email me a couple days before it is due, just have to register online for it. I would imagine all Libraries would offer this facility now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaaronovitch. I put my review on the fantasy/sci-fi page.

Books read = 25

Complete change of pace now - Sense & sensibility!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Sense and Sensibility". Struggled a bit at the start, but got into it from about the half way point. I think my problem was that I was finding it difficult to seperate the Elinor and Marienne as two distinct people. When I managed that, everything was fine! I've read most of Jane Austens books now, so I pretty much know how it's all going to turn out, but I have to admit, she kept me guessing quite how until the end.

Books read this year =26

I've got 2 books at home I picked up from a charity shop, but for the life of me, I can't remember either so my next read will have to wait till I get back.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Finished "Dying to tell" by Robert Goddard. Not his best, and a couple of gaping plot holes, but still enjoyable.

Now onto "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson

Books read this year = 27

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Case Histories.

I'd not read any Kate Atkinson before, but I had watched the TV series of the same name that was on recently and really enjoyed it. I did find it a bit heavy going at first - the story was jumping around all over the place, so I couldn't get to grips with the people. Then about half way, the whole nature of the book seemed to change; it became both more humourous AND more interesting at the same time. Characters that had seemed flat before suddenly came to life. I began to care about them. There are some genuinely heart-wrenching moments in this book, that manage, due to the skill of the writing, to not fall over into sentimentality. I shall be adding the other books in the series to my TBR pile.

I now have a strange choice. I have been given 2 books by my mother-in-law by authors that I have deliberately avoided lately. When I examined my consience however, I couldn't think of a single reason as to why I've been avoiding them! In the case of the one I've decided to read next, I've even read and enjoyed his stuff before, I just thought it all got a bit samey. So, it's time for some preconception busting - hopefully!

Books read this year = 28

Next - Angel by James Patterson

Hi Ian

I was wondering how you liked Case Histories. That has been on my list of books I have been searching for ,for a long time now. Luckily, I found it last week, but it may be quite awhile til I get to it !

Your system of keeping track of books read this year is very organized !

forgot to mention Robert Goddard. He is one of my favorites,but haven't read any of his newest books .I read maybe the first 6 or so,then he kinda got lost in the shuffle ,meaning I had so many other books to read, I didnt keep up with the new ones after that .

If you've read them all,which is your favorite ?

Mine is Past Caring .

Edited by julie

Hi Julie,

I've not read all of Robert Goddard's books, only about 3 or 4. Of those, I would say I enjoyed "Sea Change" and "Found Wanting" the most. I've not read past caring, so I'll look out for it.

Ian

Hi Ian

Yea, I think the 2 you mentioned are newer than any I've read. I THINK Past Caring is his first, then I read In Pale Battalions,which I also loved. I think ,Painting the Darkness, Into the Blue ....can't think of the others now.

Sure wish I would have been more organized all these years and kept a record of the books I read ,but I tend to be a little scatterbrained sometimes . :doh:

I have read quite a few of the Robert Goddard books and always enjoyed them, although I can't remember offhand which ones I have read. Like you, julie, I have kind of neglected him for a few years, but I really should get hold of some more - for some reason, they feel like good reading for a dark night!

Hi Ooshie

Yea,when they first came out,his first 2 were easy to find here. Then the next few kinda dribbled in a little at a time. There was a short while where they were being published over there and not available here ,unless I guess if I could have ordered them from a bookstore over there .

Finally ,one came available at the library,but it was an audio book,and I fall asleep when I try to listen to them ( kinda like someone reading me a bedtime story) ,so I guess I kinda gave up on them for a bit. I think now,Amazon may have several that I havent read,but just so much time in the day to read .I really did love Past Caring .Such a truly sad story,but so good .

Had to abandon "Angel" after two chapters, as my mother-in-law, who recommended this book, didn't bother to tell me it's a kids book! Well, maybe not, but it certainly read like one.

So, onto her other recommendation; an author I've never read, who comes in for a lot of stick

Jeffrey Archer - And thereby hangs a tale

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated in a while - I'm now finished the Jeffrey Archer and I'm halway through the next book.

The Jeffrey archer was a book of short stories. Whilst there was some enjoyment in them, I found them to be a bit simplistic. I guessed the ending of most of the stories after just a few paragraphs. Maybe it's me, but expect short stories to have a little twist at the end, most of these didn't. Only a 3 out of 5.

In the meantime, I'm halfway through book 30 this year - Too close to home by Linwood Barclay. I've not read anything by him before, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Slow paced, but keeping the tension up, and LOTS of twists to keep me guessing!

Ian

Finished "Too close to home". It's always nice to find a new writer you enjoy. A very measured style of writing that really delves into the various characters, this is no "slasher" type of murder mystery! OK, so by about three quarters of the way through, I'd pretty much figured out what was behind it all, but there were still a couple of surprises, and as I spent the first half of the book completed bamboozled by the various red herrings, I'm more than prepared to forgive that. A very good book, which is why book 31 for this year is....

Never Look Away - Linwood Barclay

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Which was also very good. Again you have a few points were you say "I can see exactly where this is going" but there is still enough to keep you interested

Books read this year = 31

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon I can just about fit one more book into 2011 - taking my total to 33 for the year. Nearly 3 a month! How on earth did I mangage that?

Book 33 = Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Ian

• 3 weeks later...