Rose reads 2011

I'mRose

Thanks Kylie I googled a bit more and saw that I was missing the part called Good Wives, but I'll be looking into Little Men as well. Have you read the book, I'm finding it a bit hard to get into and I'm not sure why. I do have a very bad copy, cause the print is uneven and it bothers me. But I also find that I'm not that interested in the story...Hopefully it will pick up as I read.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kylie I googled a bit more and saw that I was missing the part called Good Wives, but I'll be looking into Little Men as well. Have you read the book, I'm finding it a bit hard to get into and I'm not sure why. I do have a very bad copy, cause the print is uneven and it bothers me. But I also find that I'm not that interested in the story...Hopefully it will pick up as I read.

Oh, damn, I was thinking of Good Wives as the second part but when I Wiki'd to be sure, I only saw Little Men and thought that must have been it. Sorry! :rolleyes: I haven't read Little Men myself, but yes, Good Wives was the second part in my edition.

Oh, damn, I was thinking of Good Wives as the second part but when I Wiki'd to be sure, I only saw Little Men and thought that must have been it. Sorry! :rolleyes: I haven't read Little Men myself, but yes, Good Wives was the second part in my edition.

:-) There actually seems to a lot more books about "the little women" then I knew. So guess som good came out of my book only being the first half. :P

I didn't give much thought into it when I bought a few years ago. To be honest I had heard about the book before but I only bought it cause it was on Dawson's Creek, my favorite guilty pleasure at the time. :D

On a completely different note, I found this "challenge"on a blog and will be doing it on my own blog for the next 30 days. You simply answer one question a day!

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favorite series

Day 04 – Favorite book of your favorite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favorite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favorite writer

Day 14 – Favorite book of your favorite writer

Day 15 – Favorite male character

Day 16 – Favorite female character

Day 17 – Favorite quote from your favorite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favorite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favorite romance book

Day 21 – Favorite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favorite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favorite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favorite book of all time

I bet you'll have loads of fun with those 30 days of question, Rose! I'm kind of tempted to try it myself on my thread, but I don't want to copy. ;)

Oh please copy! I would love to see what everyone else says :-)

Hey Rose, I just noticed your avatar, brilliant! :) Is that a picture of your own bookshelves?

Thank you, yes it is!

The 30 Days of books challenge looks really good! I'm really tempted to give it a go! :D

Yay give it ago! I just found your blog and I really like it. :) I'm tempted to start all of your challenges but I will restrain my self. I have the Rory one and the 1001 book challenge in a excel file. Those will do for now. Is that 100 book from BBC - the big read? I think I recognize it.

Yay give it ago! I just found your blog and I really like it. :) I'm tempted to start all of your challenges but I will restrain my self. I have the Rory one and the 1001 book challenge in a excel file. Those will do for now. Is that 100 book from BBC - the big read? I think I recognize it.

Thanks :D youve got more restraint than me! I'm awful at seeing a long book list and starting up a challenge! Yeah the 100 books is from the BBC website, thats the one that I've made the most progress on, mainly because its the shortest!

I think I will start this over on my blog actually, if you don't mind me borrowing your list :D

Synopsis: This is a beguiling story of happiness and hope, of the joys of companionship, domestic harmony and infinite mother love, all seen through the life of the March family. But which of the four March sisters to love best? For every reader must have their favorite. Independent, tomboyish Jo; delicate, loving Beth; pretty, kind Meg, or precocious and beautiful Amy, the baby of the family?

Review: I'll probably be hanged for this but I tried so hard to like this one but I really didn't. They just tried to be so good and gracious all the time. Every time they felt something like anger, jealousy or want for something that wasn't an essential they felt bad and it annoyed me. I know I'm supposed to love it for the amazing story of love between sisters and a wonderful caring mother but I just don't see the charm. There were some moments I enjoyed especially the Jo/Laurie dynamic but that was about it.

This was just the first part which ended just after Meg got engaged so maybe the second part is better I don't know. I'll probably not pick I up any time soon.

I give it: 2/5

Thank you, yes it is!

I love love love it! Big, spacious, beautiful, full of booooks.... :giggle: If you ever feel like your place is too crowded and you need to get rid of some furniture, I'd be happy to adopt the bookcases and the books as well :wink:

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

I love love love it! Big, spacious, beautiful, full of booooks.... :giggle: If you ever feel like your place is too crowded and you need to get rid of some furniture, I'd be happy to adopt the bookcases and the books as well :wink:

Thank you Frankie! I'm sure I'll manage to fill the sooner or later. Right now I'm just trying to read the once that are already on it!

And speaking of that, I've been good and haven't bought any books lately but now comes the annual Swedish book sale and who can resist it?? Books for lie 2 € on Adlibris and I just love browsing the stores this time of year. Well I don't really have any money to buy anything, I need to find a job!! But I'm sure I'll stop buy a few stores just to look.

As for the actual reading I've been so bad this month. I had a bit of a family crisis when both my parents got sick and I had trouble concentrating on anything. They are both better now thank god, so hopefully life will return to normal.

I also shop on adlibris.com, and honestly, it's sooooo unfair how cheap the Swedish paperbacks are!!! For example, Var är Jane Eyre? is now at 3,90e, and the English copy The Eyre Affair is 9,20e, and it appears they don't even have any Finnish copies, which might be because maybe it hasn't been translated into Finnish yet. But that's so typical, the cheapest English/Finnish copies are always at least twice as much as the Swedish copies. Not fair!! :irked: You're so incredibly lucky. Maybe I should start reading everything in Swedish, to save some money. It would take a lot longer to finish a book that way, though... :giggle:

Have fun going to the shops! And I'm glad to hear your parents are feeling better :)

Edited by frankie

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back I think. I just finished Paper Towns which is the first book I managed to pick up and read since the beginning of February. It was a great book like everything else by John Green. I'll try to get it together now and hope my mojo comes back.

WOW! These are a lot of books!!!

You are a real book lover!!! (me too :D )

I bought in just one month like 15 books!!!

I don't know when I am going to read them but I cannot not buy them!!! They look soooo great on my bookshelf :D

I love my books!!!

From your "to be read" list I have only read The runaway jury which I liked a lot and Oliver Twist which I liked too!!!

I have also read Cecelia's Ahern "P.S. I love you" from your wish list and I loved it...

I hope you enjoy reading all these books!!! :)

:006: Hello Rose's mojo, don't run away again!

Thank you, I think it's back!!

WOW! These are a lot of books!!!

You are a real book lover!!! (me too :D )

I bought in just one month like 15 books!!!

I don't know when I am going to read them but I cannot not buy them!!! They look soooo great on my bookshelf :D

I love my books!!!

From your "to be read" list I have only read The runaway jury which I liked a lot and Oliver Twist which I liked too!!!

I have also read Cecelia's Ahern "P.S. I love you" from your wish list and I loved it...

I hope you enjoy reading all these books!!! :)

Oh the feeling of not being able to not buy books, all to familiar to most of us here. I do enjoy reading most of them, but it is getting harder and harder to chose one each time I have to decide what to read. To many options!

Looking forward to see what you will be reading this year!

Happy reading Rose :)

Thank you!

So I've read three books in the last few weeks, my mojo is back!

Paper Towns by John Green

I had to be John Green who made me read again. Not only does he seem to be just a lovely person he is one of my absolute favorite writers. Like all of his books I loved this one. The pace of which he told the story and the way he describes everything makes you, or at least me, feel like there is beauty in every mundane thing in this world. His the characters and believable and you wan to be friends with them. His books are the only once that makes me miss my teenage years. Not best review, mostly ramblings but I LOVED this book.

I give it 5/5

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

My first book by Jodi Picoult and it did not disappoint. Well-written characters, believable plot and the comic that was in the book made sense and added to the story. It's a quick read cause you can not put it down and you feel which each person. It's also written in a way that even though you get each persons point of view you are still not sure exactly what happened.

I give it 3/5

Post card killers by Liza Marklund and James Paterson

Fast paced story, which with the exception of the gruesome details felt like a YA novel. The font was huge and so was the spacing. Every chapter was no longer then 3 pages which gave it over 100 chapters. I read it in two days and I was never really surprised. The charters were okay, but not really that believable. Here you got the follow both the bad and the good guys so you never really had a doubt about who did it and you could easily predict what was going to happen.

I give it 2/5.

So I went to the library with one intention, to return the books I've borrowed and not get any others. It should not be so hard since you don't even have to enter the actual library to return books. However somehow I ended up having two books in my bag when I left. Not sure how it happened. One was Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and the other The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I just started to read Uglies and I really like it so far, it reminds me a bit about The Hunger Games series and that's never bad.

I also just found out that I got job which is amazing cause this one sounds great and I can't wait to start, it's a trial period of 6 months and then hopefully a permanent job. This does of course also open up a great possibility to extent my book collection!

Any suggestions??

Oh, if "Uglies" reminds you of The Hunger Games, then I need to read The Hunger Games.

You must read the Hunger Games. I think that then thing about Uglies that reminds me most about The Hunger Games is the futuristic feel and the refusal of obeying what is set to be the norm in the society. Also it's just one of those can-not-put-it-down books. :-D

Anna and the french kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis: Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited

Review: This book is so cute and romantic. We follow Anna through one year in Paris, struggling to learn the language, meeting new friends, learning about life and boys and horrible fathers and love. It's such and easy and delightful read you don't want it to end yet you can't wait to finish it to see what happens. It's romantic and the guy and the girl are just to very normal people who you can believe would fall for each other, but will the end up together or are they just destined for friendship? Read and find out, I absolutely recommend it!

I give it: 4/5

• 1 month later...

His dark materials series: Northern lights by Phillip Pullman

Synopsis:

In a landmark epic of fantasy and storytelling, Philip Pullman invites readers into a world as convincing and thoroughly realized as Narnia, Earthsea, or Redwall. Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to give Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however, nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the compass of the title. All around her children are disappearing victims of so-called "Gobblers" and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each person's inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved.

Review:

This is a great fantasy book. Although directed to a younger reader I found it to be both exciting and nice read. Pullman has created a believable and well established world full of wonders and beauty. Lyra is a very strong main character and you can't help but to instantly like her. There are also a lot of side characters that you instantly take to and either love or hate.

The only reason this book gave me som trouble was that I had seen the movie and therefore knew what was going to happen. But other then that it was a terrific book if you like fantasy and did not feel like a typical YA book.

I give it 4/5