Joe's Reads 2011

joe

well I read 46 new books in 2010 and I am aiming to read 60 in 2011.

Books to look up

The Help Kathryn Stockett

Generation Dead Daniel Waters

Edited by joe

Books read in January

Nothing to Lose Lee Child

The Visitor Lee Child

The Return Hakan Nesser

The Mind's Eye Hakan Nesser

Rising Tides Nora Roberts

The Welcoming Nora Roberts

Breaking Dawn Stephenie Meyers reread

Books read in Febuary

Borkmann's Point Hakan Nesser

Awakened P.C and Kristen Cast

The Leopard Jo Nesbo

Books read in March

The Case of the Missing Boyfriend Nick Alexander

Nemesis Jo Nesbo

The Redbreast Jo Nesbo

Nothing is Forever June Tate

Uneasy Tales Simon Kurt Unsworth

Books read in April

The Snowman Jo Nesbo

Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

When You Went Away Michael Baron

House of Silence Linda Gillard

The Case of the Missing Boyfriend Nick Alexander

Edited by joe

• 1 month later...

Nothing to Lose Lee Child

Synopsis

From Hope to Despair. Between two small towns in Colorado, nothing but twelve miles of empty road. All Jack Reacher wants is a cup of coffee.What he gets are four redneck deputies, a vagrancy charge and a trip back to the line. But Reacher is a big man, and he's in shape. No job, no address, no baggage. Nothing, except bloody-minded curiosity. What are the secrets the locals seem so determined to hide?{Waterstones .com}

This is the second Lee Child novel that I have read and I absolutely loved it. I found it very easy to read but kept my interest the whole way through. The character of Jack reacher is very likeable and I want to read more books so that I get to know him more about him and why he is the way he is. I think that he is the key to the novel, you read because he is central to the novel and you are interested in what he does and the motivation behind it.

Edited by joe

The Visitor Lee Child

Synopsis

Sergeant Amy Callan and Lieutenant Caroline Cook had a lot in common. Both high flying army women, both victims of sexual harassment, they left the army under dubious circumstances. Both are now dead, their bodies discovered, unmarked and unscarred, in their own homes. Jack Reacher, former US military policeman, loner and drifter, knew them both. Psychological profiling points to a smart guy, solitary, army, someone who knew both of his victims. The perfect psychological match, Reacher is arrested by an ambitious FBI Special Agent, Julia Lamarr. But when the body of another woman, Sergeant Lorraine Stanley, is discovered, killed with similar precision, Reacher is released. Everyone fears there is a serial killer on the loose. But the FBI have strong persuasive powers, and before long Reacher finds himself heavily involved in the murder investigation. What have these women got in common and why is someone out to do them harm? In this magnificent, utterly ingenious thriller, Reacher once again saves the day, proving that he is a unique hero, capable of holding his own in any situation, and "The Visitor" confirms that Lee Child is more than capable of challenging the established names currently writing in this genre. {Waterstones.com}

This is my favourite Jack Reacher novel so far, although I enjoyed the other novels this one for me was a lot more plaussible and I found that I identified with all the characters a lot more. I was kept guessing the whole way through as to whom the murderer was and it came as a total shock, a sign of a good thriller. As always I found myself falling a little bit in love with Jack Reacher, more books shall have to be read.

The Return Hakan Nesser

Synopsis Van Veeteren thought back to what his friend Mahler had said the previous evening: Doing something at the right time is more important than what you actually do...An unmissable hospital appointment is looming for Inspector Van Veeteren when a corpse is found rolled in a rotting carpet by a young child playing in a local beauty spot. Missing head and limbs, the torso is too badly decomposed for forensic identification - bar one crucial detail ...Circumstantial evidence soon points to a local man, a double murderer who disappeared 9 months before, shortly after being released on parole; a local hero turned monster after being convicted of killing two women over a span of three decades.Recuperating after an operation, Van Veeteren is nevertheless directing investigations from his hospital bed, for he is convinced that only the innocence of this new victim can be the motive for his murder. But the two women have been dead for long enough for any evidence to have died with them...And is he - a little like Inspector Morse can be on occasion - simply on the wrong track completely? {Waterstones.com}

I was introduced to this author by my great auntie as I was chatting to her about great crime writers and she mentioned that she had read several of Nesser's works and that she thought they were excellent reads and I am very much in agreement. The character of Van Veeteren is very laid back and makes you relax with him. His obsessional use of toothpicks also made me laugh and I found him very endearing. It was also unuaual for the plot to centre around a murder victim whom nobody really cared about, the whole plot came from such a different angle that I found it very intersting and it kept my attention from beginning to end, a huge delight to read.

The Mind's Eye Hakan Nesser

Synopsis Janek Mitter stumbles into his bathroom one morning after a night of heavy drinking, to find his beautiful young wife, Eva, floating dead in the bath. She has been brutally murdered. Yet even during his trial Mitter cannot summon a single memory of attacking Eva, nor a clue as to who could have killed her if he had not. Only once he has been convicted and locked away in an asylum for the criminally insane does he have a snatch of insight - but is it too late? Drawing a blank after exhaustive interviews, Chief Inspector Van Veeteren remains convinced that something, or someone, in the dead woman's life has caused these tragic events. But the reasons for her speedy remarriage have died with her. And as he delves even deeper, Van Veeteren realizes that the past never stops haunting the present ...{Waterstones.com}

I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end and could not work out who the murderer was until I was told . I read this book in two days as I found it utterly gripping, I am fast becoming a huge Nesser fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Rising Tides and The Welcoming Nora Roberts

I adore Nora Roberts and I really enjoyed these two books. as ever they stuck to the winning Robert's formula. Nothing earth shattering but easy to read books and pure escapism, and I am addicted to them.

Borkmaan's Point Hakan Nesser

Synopsis Borkmann's rule was hardly a rule; in fact, it was more of a comment, a landmark for tricky cases ...In every investigation, he maintained, there comes a point beyond which we don't really need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking. A seedy ex-con and a wealthy real-estate mogul are brutally murdered with an axe in the quiet coastal town of Kaalbringen. Chief Inspector van Veeteren, bored of his holiday nearby, is summoned to assist the local authorities. But there seems to be nothing to link the victims. Another body is discovered, again with no obvious connection, and the pressure mounts. The local police chief, just days away from retirement, is determined to wrap things up before he goes. Then there's a fourth murder, and a brilliant young female detective goes missing - perhaps she has reached Borkmann's Point before anyone else ...This riveting novel, full of fascinating, quirky characters and vivid settings, introduces the chess-playing Inspector van Veeteren - a detective already beloved by his European readership - and marks the UK debut of Hakan Nesser, a chilling new voice in crime fiction. "On this showing, Inspector Van Veeteren seems destined for a place amongst the great European detectives" - Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse. {Waterstones.com}

This is the first book in the Inspector Van Veeteren series and have to say that I found it the most enjoyable. I was truly surprised by the ending, the murderer was a character that I did not suspect from the very beginning of the book. This author is fast becoming one of my favourites,cannot wait to read the next installment.

• 2 weeks later...

Awakened P.C and Kristen Cast

Exonerated by the Vampyre High Council and returned to her position of High Priestess at Tulsa's House of Night, Neferet has sworn vengeance on Zoey. But Zoey has found sanctuary on the Isle of Skye and is being groomed by Queen Sgiach to take over for her there. Being Queen would be cool, wouldn't it? And what about Stevie Rae and Rephraim? The Raven Mocker refuses to be used against Stevie Rae, but what choice does he have when no one in the entire world, including Zoey, would be ok with their relationship? Does he betray his father or his heart?[Amazon.co.uk]

This is the eight book in the series and I have to say that I am becoming a little bored by the plot. The characters are also becoming a little bit annoyong. Not my favourite book and I am not sure if I will read the next installment.

Edited by joe

This is the eight book in the series and I have to say that I am becoming a little bored by the plot. The characters are also becoming a little bit annoyong. Not my favourite book and I am not sure if I will read the next installment.

I haven't read these books, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but eight books seems a little excessive. Sounds from what you've said that it's becoming about quantity over quality, and that's a real shame. :(

Yes that is exactly right, quantity over quality. I really enjoyed the first few books and found them pure escapism but now I am tiring of them, it's a real shame. I will probably read the next book, I just hope that it is a more enjoyable read.