Kidsmum's Reading List 2011

Kidsmum

English Passengers Matthew Kneale

9780140285215.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis

'A big, ambitious novel with a rich historical sweep and a host of narrative voices. Its subject is a vicar's ludicrous expedition in 1857 to the Garden of Eden in Tasmania, [as] meanwhile, in Tasmania itself, the British settlers are alternately trying to civilise and eliminate the Aboriginal population ...The sort of novel that few contemporary writers have either the imagination or the stamina to sustain' - "Daily Telegraph".

I'd had this book on my TBR pile for awhile & probably wouldn't have picked it out before others if my hubby hadn't read it first & recommended it. I found the book to be both funny & sad, the vicar & Dr Potter were my favourite characters, both are pompous & their constant rivalry is hilarious. But the story of the damage done to the Aboriginal population by the British settlers is horrifying, it isn't a subject I really knew anything about so I felt that I learned something from the book as well.

5/5

Sounds like something I could read for sure.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to continue with the Thursday Next series? I had the same feeling as you when I read The Eyre Affair, but I've found that the books get better and better as they go along. :)

Are you going to continue with the Thursday Next series? I had the same feeling as you when I read The Eyre Affair, but I've found that the books get better and better as they go along. :)

Yes, I've got Lost In A Good Book & First Among Sequels so I will read them but not sure when :)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Amazon Synopsis

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much - not because she's not pretty - she's a very cute bubbly blonde - or not interested in a social life. She really is . . . but Sookie's got a bit of a disability. She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill: he's tall, he's dark and he's handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting all her life for. But Bill has a disability of his own: he's fussy about his food, he doesn't like suntans and he's never around during the day . . . Yep, Bill's a vampire. Worse than that, he hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind. And then one of Sookie's colleagues at the bar is killed, and it's beginning to look like Sookie might be the next victim . . .

I bought this book as I'm a big fan of the TV series & I have to say I really enjoyed it. It is a little different fom the programme Tara doesn't feature in the book at all & Bubba who isn't in the show is a fun addition to the story. I thought the book was a fun, sexy read a great one to take on holiday as it's an easy read so a good one for the beach :D

Edited by Kidsmum

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Amazon Synopsis

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much - not because she's not pretty - she's a very cute bubbly blonde - or not interested in a social life. She really is . . . but Sookie's got a bit of a disability. She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill: he's tall, he's dark and he's handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting all her life for. But Bill has a disability of his own: he's fussy about his food, he doesn't like suntans and he's never around during the day . . . Yep, Bill's a vampire. Worse than that, he hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind. And then one of Sookie's colleagues at the bar is killed, and it's beginning to look like Sookie might be the next victim . . .

I bought this book as I'm a big fan of the TV series & I have to say I really enjoyed it. It is a little different fom the programme Tara doesn't feature in the book at all & Bubba who isn't in the show is a fun addition to the story. I thought the book was a fun, sexy read a great one to take on holiday as it's an easy read so a good one for the beach :D

Great review Kidsmum, the rest of the series is just as good, especially book 4! :)

Yes, I've got Lost In A Good Book & First Among Sequels so I will read them but not sure when :)

Try and persevere :) .. I did find the first the hardest to get through too. It took me years to pick up the sequels ... don't wait that long .. they're fantastic and the more you get into them, the cleverer and more entertaining they are.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I've just re-read the entire Thursday Next series, and I have to say my favourite is the fourth one, Something Rotten. I just loved the new characters and ideas brought into this book, and how it continued Thursday's story. It's also the one I laughed out loud at the most! :lol:

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I've just re-read the entire Thursday Next series, and I have to say my favourite is the fourth one, Something Rotten. I just loved the new characters and ideas brought into this book, and how it continued Thursday's story. It's also the one I laughed out loud at the most! :lol:

Don't mind you jumping in at all :) Thanks for the tip I'll keep my eye open for that one.

Thanks Poppy which would you say is the best in the Thursday Next series?

I agree with Chesil, my favourite so far is 'Something Rotten' although I haven't read the latest two or the Nursery Crimes. Having said that I did really enjoy 'Lost in a Good Book' and 'The Well of Lost Plots' too.

I agree with Chesil, my favourite so far is 'Something Rotten' although I haven't read the latest two or the Nursery Crimes. Having said that I did really enjoy 'Lost in a Good Book' and 'The Well of Lost Plots' too.

Thanks Poppy luckily I've got Lost in a Good Book :D

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

9780575089389.jpg

Waterstones synopsis

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly ...The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

Like the first Sookie Stackhouse book this was a fun, sexy easy read. It differs quite a bit from the TV series as one of the main characters in the TV show is killed off quite early in the book & they'd obviously had to change quite a few things in the storyline to make the book suitable for the TV. I have to say that I find Sookie quite an annoying character but that didn't spoil the book for me & although I'm taking a break from them now I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series :)

4/5

Edited by Kidsmum

I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night it was such a good read I was almost sorry to get to the end & I'll write a review on it when I've got more time. I was tempted to start on the second book straight away but decided to make a start on the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell I've been buying these books from the charity shops for awhile but haven't got round to reading them as yet & as my hubby pointed out there's not much point in collecting them all & then finding out you don't like them:blush: So I'm now reading Sharpe's Rifles & I'm about 50 pages in, its so completely different from TGWTDT that I got off to a bit of a shaky start & wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I'm starting to get into the story now :D

I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night it was such a good read I was almost sorry to get to the end & I'll write a review on it when I've got more time. I was tempted to start on the second book straight away but decided to make a start on the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell I've been buying these books from the charity shops for awhile but haven't got round to reading them as yet & as my hubby pointed out there's not much point in collecting them all & then finding out you don't like them:blush: So I'm now reading Sharpe's Rifles & I'm about 50 pages in, its so completely different from TGWTDT that I got off to a bit of a shaky start & wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I'm starting to get into the story now :D

I am sure you will enjoy the second Salander book even more kidsmum ; I am doing same as you and having a rest between book two and three.

That is a surprise you picking up the Sharpe novels, what attracted you to them? A generalization I know but ladies don't usually like war subjects. Is it much like the TV series so far?

I am sure you will enjoy the second Salander book even more kidsmum ; I am doing same as you and having a rest between book two and three.

That is a surprise you picking up the Sharpe novels, what attracted you to them? A generalization I know but ladies don't usually like war subjects. Is it much like the TV series so far?

Hi VF :) I was tempted to start on the second one straight away good to hear the second ones even better. Someone recommended the Sharpe books,your right though it's not normally my sort of thing but I'm always up for trying something new & I'm glad I did as the first one was brilliant I stayed up late last night to finish it. I haven't seen the TV series so I can't compare but I'd definitely recommend the books if you haven't read them already :D

Hi VF :) I was tempted to start on the second one straight away good to hear the second ones even better. Someone recommended the Sharpe books,your right though it's not normally my sort of thing but I'm always up for trying something new & I'm glad I did as the first one was brilliant I stayed up late last night to finish it. I haven't seen the TV series so I can't compare but I'd definitely recommend the books if you haven't read them already :D

I will check them out, at least the first one anyway. Thanks.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Waterstones Synopsis

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her body was never found, yet her uncle is convinced it was murder – and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed, truculent computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link Harriet's disappearance to a number of grotesque murders from forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. But the Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

After reading mixed reviews on this book I was a bit unsure wether I'd like it or not but I have to say I enjoyed it from start to finish. The first half of the book is where Larsson lays the foundation of the plot & introduces the characters he goes into quite a lot of detail & I can see how some people might find this a little tedious but for me it just made the story more substantial. The second half of the book is where the story really gets going & things get exciting & I just wanted to keep reading till I got to the end. Salander for me was the most interesting character in the book, fiesty but flawed you can't help but admire her courage & resilience. One thing that did kind of irritate me was Blomkvists sex life it did seem a little far fetched & by the end of the book I was kind of thinking oh come off it :rolleyes: , I don't know maybe Larsson was indulging his own fantasies there. But apart from that I thought it was a great read exciting & gripping to the end.

5/5

Edited by Kidsmum

Sharpe's Rifles Bernard Cornwell

51XaU1IO3kL._AA115_.jpg

Amazon Synopsis

In the bitter winter of 1809 the French are winning the war in Spain and Britain’s forces are retreating towards Corunna, with Napoleon’s victorious armies in pursuit. Lieutenant Richard Sharpe and a detachment of Riflemen are cut off from the British army and surrounded by enemy troops. Their only hope of escape is to accept the help of an unlikely ally, a Spanish cavalry officer, Major Blas Vivar.Unknown to Sharpe, the Spaniard harbours a desperate and quixotic ambition which will lead to a suicidal assault on the holy city of Santiago de Compostela and a savage fight agains overwhelming French numbers. Sharpe’s determination must be tested to its limit if victory is to be snatched from disaster.

This is not really the sort of book I would normally go for but the Sharpe series was recommended to me & I've been gradually buying copies here an there till I've built up quite a collection of them without having even read one so I thought it was about time I made a start before I bought anymore & then found out I didn't like them :rolleyes: Well I wasn't dissappointed this was such an exciting read it's so fast paced right from the start & Sharpe is a really likable character, a great soldier gallant & heroic but awkward with people often saying the wrong thing, at times he made me cringe but it's those very human failings which make him so likable. I'd recommend this book to anyone even if historical fiction especially war stories aren't your sort of thing.

5/5

Edited by Kidsmum

I have only read one of the Sharpe books (I think it came as a mixed bundle from the Book People), and I really enjoyed it. I haven't got round to buying any more yet, but I'm sure I will one day - maybe once I have finished the Aubrey-Maturin series (Master and Commander etc)! I can probably only justify one long, historical-war-fiction-probably-aimed-at -boys series at a time :D

I can probably only justify one long, historical-war-fiction-probably-aimed-at -boys series at a time :D

Ha ha!! know what you mean but I visualise Sean Bean as I'm reading it so that gives it more girly appeal :lol:

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

9780575089389.jpg

Waterstones synopsis

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly ...The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

Like the first Sookie Stackhouse book this was a fun, sexy easy read. It differs quite a bit from the TV series as one of the main characters in the TV show is killed off quite early in the book & they'd obviously had to change quite a few things in the storyline to make the book suitable for the TV. I have to say that I find Sookie quite an annoying character but that didn't spoil the book for me & although I'm taking a break from them now I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series :)

4/5

Great review kidsmum, book 2 is a favourite of mines, you are getting ever closer to...Book 4! ;) a definite favourite of many Sookie fans :)

Edited by Weave

Ha ha!! know what you mean but I visualise Sean Bean as I'm reading it so that gives it more girly appeal :lol:

Haven't read any but we have the boxed set of DVDs :smile2:

Edited by Inver

Ah, yes, that definitely makes a difference! I am doing something similar with Russell Crowe as Captain Jack Aubrey... :blush:

Haven't read any but we have the boxed set of DVDs :smile2:

Ah, yes, that definitely makes a difference! I am doing something similar with Russell Crowe as Captain Jack Aubrey... :blush:

We're definitely on the same wavelength ladies :friends3: