Kidsmum's Reading List 2011

Kidsmum

Every Man for Himself By Beryl Bainbridge

Amazon Synopsis

After taking on the ill-fated Scott expedition to the South Pole in her previous book, Birthday Boys, Bainbridge tackles a much larger 1912 disaster: the sinking of the Titanic. The narrator, a 22-year-old named Morgan, brushes up against real-life victims such as John James Astor early in the voyage, while falling in love with the beautiful and unobtainable Wallis Ellery. The deadly maiden voyage of the world's largest ocean liner becomes a journey of self-discovery in this portentous, postmodern work, shortlisted for the 1996 Booker Prize.

After reading & enjoying a couple of Bainbridges other books I was really looking forward to this book but was disappointed. Knowing the ending did take away a lot of the tension of the story but I also found the characters irritating so it was hard to care what happened to them one way or another & the story felt a little flat. Perhaps it would have been improved if the story had been told by one of the steerage passengers I might have felt more sympathy for their plight in that case

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my little book buying trip today & yesterday my books bought list has gone up to 27 & we're only in February :o I've got to stop doing this it's ridiculous, if it was my OH doing this with CDs I'd be moaning about how we don't have the space.

Hi Mexicola, yes it's quite a long book about 700-800 pages long , it's actually the first 3 books of the saga there being 9 books in all contained in 3 volumes not sure if you can buy them as individual books but they're a great read , I'm itching to send off for the other 2 volumes myself :D

After my little book buying trip today & yesterday my books bought list has gone up to 27 & we're only in February :o I've got to stop doing this it's ridiculous, if it was my OH doing this with CDs I'd be moaning about how we don't have the space.

That would have paid for a Kindle Kidsmum.....you could take all your books everywhere with you and never take up any more space....

That would have paid for a Kindle Kidsmum.....you could take all your books everywhere with you and never take up any more space....

No :o !! Keep buying the paper copies Kidsmum, books on shelves make a house look like a home and you can always recycle those you don't want or like.

I know what you mean about the guilt though, my OH is fairly indulgent with me over my obsessional book buying. It is my major interest though and I don't really spend money on anything else ... if you don't count my occasional splurge on clothes but I do moan about his growing collection of guitar mags and books but that's because once bought he hardly ever looks into them.

Perhaps he can get a Kindle and download all the rock/guitar mags to it .. now that I could agree to.

Edited by poppyshake

Ooh, a saga it is! It's great to have enjoyed something, knowing that there's much more of it just waiting to be devoured isn't it? :D First volume - ordered :blush: My first book purchase of the year! I think it's a slippery slope from here :lol:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Mexicola :D

I doubt it most of the books were only 49p & some I got for the bargain basement price of 2 for 99p but yes I guess the space saving aspect is an advantage. However I can't imagine I'd get the same the same satisfaction downloading to a Kindle as I do coming out of the charity shop arms full with my new books. Yer can't beat the real thing :P

No :o !! Keep buying the paper copies Kidsmum, books on shelves make a house look like a home and you can always recycle those you don't want or like.

Totally agree Poppy, great minds think alike :friends3: I usually pass my books on to friends or return them to the charity shop but as I buy them faster than I can read them I've already outgrown the new bookshelves we bought but hubby's very good & he doesn't complain I just get the ocassional raised eyebrow when I try to reorganise them so things look a bit less overcrowded :blush:

On Chesil Beach Ian McEwan

Review

This is a lovely little book , the story is so sensitive & intimate that I found it a very emotional read. Edward & Florence are wonderful characters, very innocent compared to modern day standards which made them utterly endearing. There were parts of this book where I found myself holding my breath hoping for the best & yet fearing the worst. My only complaint would be that the book was too short, I would have liked to have found out more about how their lives turned out afterwards especially Florence.

4/5

I saw this at the library on Friday, picked it up and read the blurb. It sounded like a nice little story and I would've borrowed it if I hadn't already found like 15 books that I wanted to borrow. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the novel so much, next time I'm at the library I'll definitely borrow the copy :)

I doubt it most of the books were only 49p & some I got for the bargain basement price of 2 for 99p but yes I guess the space saving aspect is an advantage. However I can't imagine I'd get the same the same satisfaction downloading to a Kindle as I do coming out of the charity shop arms full with my new books. Yer can't beat the real thing :P

Luddite!

Restless by William Boyd

Waterstones Synopsis

It is 1939. Eva Delectorskaya is a beautiful 28-year-old Russian emigree living in Paris. As war breaks out she is recruited for the British Secret Service by Lucas Romer, a mysterious Englishman, and under his tutelage she learns to become the perfect spy, to mask her emotions and trust no one, including those she loves most. Since the war, Eva has carefully rebuilt her life as a typically English wife and mother. But once a spy, always a spy. Now she must complete one final assignment, and this time Eva can't do it alone: she needs her daughter's help.

This is a fast paced spy thriller, the story alternates between present day & 1939 as we find out along with Eva's daughter how she became a spy, this for me was the most interesting part of the story & I would have prefered it if the book had been set entirely in 1939. However a very enjoyable read I think it would be totally cool to find out that your Mum had been a spy :)

4/5

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Waterstones Synopsis

Enter a vanished and unjust world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver...There's Aibileen, raising her seventeenth white child and nursing the hurt caused by her own son's tragic death; Minny, whose cooking is nearly as sassy as her tongue; and white Miss Skeeter, home from College, who wants to know why her beloved maid has disappeared. Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny. No one would believe they'd be friends; fewer still would tolerate it. But as each woman finds the courage to cross boundaries, they come to depend and rely upon one another. Each is in a search of a truth. And together they have an extraordinary story to tell...

I absolutely loved this book & couldn't put it down it was both heartwarming & shocking, shocking because it's hard to imagine how people could be treated so badly just because they're a different colour & that it was considered acceptable. On the cover it says that the book sold 2 million copies & this doesn't surprise me as it's a must read for anyone.

5/5

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I absolutely loved this book & couldn't put it down it was both heartwarming & shocking, shocking because it's hard to imagine how people could be treated so badly just because they're a different colour & that it was considered acceptable. On the cover it says that the book sold 2 million copies & this doesn't surprise me as it's a must read for anyone.

5/5

You read some good books Kidsmum. I have seen this one around and will now add it to my wishlist. Also the 1939 spymum one. Thanks.

You read some good books Kidsmum. I have seen this one around and will now add it to my wishlist. Also the 1939 spymum one. Thanks.

I read Restless last year and agree that it is a terrific novel. Have been meaning to read some more of Boyd's work but not getting round to it, will make it a priority now I have been reminded.

I also have the Help on my TBR pile and will certainly bump it up a bit now!! :D

Edited by tunn300

• 2 weeks later...

English Passengers Matthew Kneale

9780140285215.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis

'A big, ambitious novel with a rich historical sweep and a host of narrative voices. Its subject is a vicar's ludicrous expedition in 1857 to the Garden of Eden in Tasmania, [as] meanwhile, in Tasmania itself, the British settlers are alternately trying to civilise and eliminate the Aboriginal population ...The sort of novel that few contemporary writers have either the imagination or the stamina to sustain' - "Daily Telegraph".

I'd had this book on my TBR pile for awhile & probably wouldn't have picked it out before others if my hubby hadn't read it first & recommended it. I found the book to be both funny & sad, the vicar & Dr Potter were my favourite characters, both are pompous & their constant rivalry is hilarious. But the story of the damage done to the Aboriginal population by the British settlers is horrifying, it isn't a subject I really knew anything about so I felt that I learned something from the book as well.

5/5

The Eyre Affair Jasper Fforde

9780340733561.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis

There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where the Crimean war still rages, dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is deeply disappointed by the ending of 'Jane Eyre'. In this world there are no jet-liners or computers, but there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic, a great interest in all things literary - and a woman called Thursday Next. In this utterly original and wonderfully funny first novel, Fforde has created a fiesty, loveable heroine and a plot of such richness and ingenuity that it will take your breath away.

The Eyre Affair is a very clever & funny book it's very different from anything I've read before , I loved Mycrofts inventions & Spike from the Vampire & Werewolves Disposal Division & I'd really like to read a book about his adventures. I did enjoy the book but not as much as I thought I would but I think that it's just a matter of personal taste rather than the quality of the writing.

3/5

Edited by Kidsmum

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Kidsmum. :) I thought it was great too.

It's one of my favourite reads this year so far, I'm going to pass it on to my sister as I know she'll love it too :)