LauraLoves Reads 2011

lauraloves

Caligula - Douglas Jackson

caligula.JPG

Synopsis - Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, the third Roman Emperor, is better known by another name: Caligula, a name synonymous with decadence, cruelty and madness. His reign was marked by excess, huge building projects, the largest gladiatorial battles Rome was ever to see – men and animals killed in their hundreds – conspiracies, assassination attempts and sexual scandal.

Rufus as a young slave grows up far from the corruption of the imperial court. His master is a trainer of animals for the gladiatorial arena. Rufus discovers that he has a natural ability with animals, a talent for controlling and schooling them. It is at the arenas that Rufus meets his great friend Cupido, one of Rome’s greatest gladiators.

It is his growing reputation as an animal trainer and his friendship with Cupido that attracts the cruel gaze of the Emperor. Caligula wants a keeper for the imperial elephant and Rufus is bought from his master and taken to the imperial palace. Life here is dictated by Caligula’s ever shifting moods. Caligula is as generous as he is cruel, he is a megalomaniac who declares himself a living god and simultaneously lives in constant fear of the plots against his life. But his paranoia is not misplaced, intrigue permeates his court, and Rufus and Cupido find themselves unwittingly placed at the centre of a conspiracy to assassinate the Emperor.

My Thoughts - This is the first book I have ever read on the theme of Romans, and I loved it! The story centres on an elephant keeper Rufus who is a slave and almost lives in fear of his life. He gets ridiculed by the emporor Caligula, his friends get killed before him, he is found a wife, with that their is also some differences. The emporor Caligula is horrible, he kills people just for fun, he treats people awfully!

This book is brilliant. It deals with death, life, birth, fighting, animals, love, hate, roman history, nearly a bit of everything. The fighting scenes are quite gorey, but I didnt think they were over gorey, it gave the right impression of roman life.

Once I picked up this book I couldnt put it down and I can't wait to read more in the series, need to get my hands on the next book! Highly recommended reading.

Rating - 5/5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

500???!!!!!

Yep 500!!!

Wow, that's quite a mammoth undertaking, to sort out 500 books! Even Kylie has never managed that many in one go I don't think, even at the book fair, I think she's come in under that number. :lol: Congratulations, Laura, it sounds like you've hit the jackpot there :smile2:

Yep it is! I'm not actually sure where I'm going to put them all! And I'm so excited to get sorting through them! hehe I did think has Kyle ever picked up this many books in one go?

okay I'll let you in on a secret! It was ebay! I saw them on their and placed a bid but didnt think id be lucky enough to win for such a low price! imagine my shock when I did!

:o Perhaps I should visit ebay more often. Do you know what kind of books it is at all?

:o Perhaps I should visit ebay more often. Do you know what kind of books it is at all?

I've just picked them up and their are so many good books! I was a little worried that they would be all mills and boon (no offense to anyone who reads them but they are not my thing!)

I've just had a quick look through as I brought them in from the car and I've so far spotted books by Joseph Heller, Jo Nesbo, Stephen King, Carole Matthews and loads and loads more!

Am going to spend the next few days going through all 13 boxes of them!

Wow! I am soooooo jealous! How exciting to get that many books, and so cheap! It's like an instant library! And it's like Christmas because it's a complete surprise what you'll find in the boxes. Good for you! :friends3:

I wish I could be there to help you sort and catalogue your books. That sounds like so much fun. :D

Even Kylie has never managed that many in one go I don't think, even at the book fair, I think she's come in under that number.

No, Kylie has never bought anything close to that in one go. :P I may buy that many in one year, but never in one go! But there is a book fair coming up next weekend...are you setting me a challenge? (I hope not, because I can't take you up on it. ;))

Edited by Kylie

I've just picked them up and their are so many good books! I was a little worried that they would be all mills and boon (no offense to anyone who reads them but they are not my thing!)

I've just had a quick look through as I brought them in from the car and I've so far spotted books by Joseph Heller, Jo Nesbo, Stephen King, Carole Matthews and loads and loads more!

Am going to spend the next few days going through all 13 boxes of them!

Majorly jealous!!!!! Have lots of fun sorting your books out - sounds like a wonderful way to spend a few days :)

13 boxes, wow! Enjoy. :)

You're very brave. I'd be intimidated by that many books 'to read'! </Wuss>

Hehe! I don't think that I'm going to keep all 500, or add them all to my TBR pile, If I've got no interest in reading it I don't want to force them all on myself as I don't want it to stop me from reading!

Wow! I am soooooo jealous! How exciting to get that many books, and so cheap! It's like an instant library! And it's like Christmas because it's a complete surprise what you'll find in the boxes. Good for you! :friends3:

I wish I could be there to help you sort and catalogue your books. That sounds like so much fun. :D

No, Kylie has never bought anything close to that in one go. :P I may buy that many in one year, but never in one go! But there is a book fair coming up next weekend...are you setting me a challenge? (I hope not, because I can't take you up on it. ;))

I do almost have like a pop up library! I havent even looked in most of the boxes so it is indeed like Christmas! Hope your have a good time at the book fair, I've always wanted to go to one!

Majorly jealous!!!!! Have lots of fun sorting your books out - sounds like a wonderful way to spend a few days :)

I think it is, its coincided with me have 6 days off rather well actually!

You lucky thing Laura, I'm green with envy :reading: I think my OH would have a heart attack if I bought 500 books in one go, I'm already struggling to find places to put the ones I've already got :D

I don't actually have a place for them yet :giggle2: Will have to re-arrange some bits I think!

I am going to start sorting out tonight! I think I'm going to sort them into Going onto TBR pile, Maybe want to read and definitaly don't want to read! I have seen a couple that I've already read so they can go too!

And of course I will post what books their are on here too :giggle2:

Oh. My. Lord. Laura, 500 books in one go?! Such an amazing bargain! I'm so jealous, words cannot express my feelings :D Happy sorting!! It might take you a couple of hours to catalogue the books and list them in your TBR :D

Yep all in one go! I've started to sort through them tonight, only done around fifty or so and thats taken me a good couple of hours!

If I had to buy 500 books at one go, my husband would have a fit, and I'd have to throw furniture out to make space for them :)

I still have them boxed up! Got no room for them . . . yet! Am considering getting rid of my bed and laying on the boxes :doh:

So far I've gone through 4 of the 14 boxes and this is the books I've picked to read . . . So far hehe!

• Formula One Uncovered – Derick Allsop

• Just One Look – Harlan Coben

• The Piranha Club – Timothy Collings

• On the Road With Blue – Ian Marshall

• My Side – David Beckham

• Survivor – Sharon Osbourne

• Humble Pie – Gordon Ramsay

• Madonna: An Intimate Biography

• This Charming Man – Marian Keyes

• Old Faith – Jane Gardam

• Executive Orders – Tom Clancy

• Beach Road – James Patterson

• Bannisters Chart – Antony Trew

• A Dangerous Fortune – Ken Follett

• The Tailor of Panama – le Carre

• King Rat – James Clavell

• Wolf of the Plains – Conn Iggulden

• Winter Solstice – Rosamunde Pilcher

• Brick Lane – Monica Ali (Rory)

• Catch 22 – Joseph Heller (200 books, 1001 books, UTBGC, Wishlist)

• Lola Rose – Jacqueline Wilson (200 Books, UTBGC)

• The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood (1001 Books)

• The Princess Bride – William Goldman (UTBGC)

• Roxy’s Baby – Catherine McPhail (UTBGC)

• Shopaholic Takes Manhattan – Sophie Kinsella (Wishlist)

• Living on the Seabed – Lindsay Nicholson

• Invisible Women – Jacky Trevane

• Football Against the Enemy – Simon Kuper

• Cara’s Land – Elvi Rhodes

• The Curse of the Pharaohs – Elizabeth Peters

• Leftovers – Laura Wiess

• Three Junes – Julia Glass

• The Dark Tower Vii – Stephen King

• The Resurrectionist – James Bradley

• A Desirable Residence – Sophie Kinsella

• The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd (Rory)

• Atonement – Ian McEwan (Rory, 200 Books, 1001 books, UTBGC, new classics)

• American Physco – Bret Easton Ellis (200 Books, 1001 books)

• Mr Nice – Howard Marks

• Liars and Saints – Maile Meloy

• The Accidental – Ali Smith

• What Men Think About Sex – Mark Mason

• Labyrinth – Kate Moss

Wow, what a list! I read The Secret Life of Bees a few months ago, it certainly deserves all the great reviews it has had.

I've still got another 9 boxes to go through so I think that list is going to grow! So pleased I found The Secret Life of Bees, have been wanting to read it for months!

It's a great mix of books already, and that's only the first box?! I think you've really hit the jackpot with these ... and even an Ali Smith book! :smile2:

Its the first 3 boxes, their are some others too that I'm going to put away and go back to in a few months when I've gone through a few more!