LauraLoves Reads 2011

lauraloves

The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

OL7352300M-M.jpg

Challenges - BCF July Reading Circle

BBC Top 200 Books

Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

501 Must Read Books

Synopsis - The triffids are a monstrous species of stinging plant; they walk, they talk, they dominate the world. The narrator of this novel wakes up in hospital to find that, by missing the end of the world, he has survived to witness a new world. But the new world that awaits him is fantastic and horrific.

My Thoughts - This is not a genre of book that I usually read, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. The idea that this sort of thing could happen does scare me a little bit, but I didnt find the triffids actually scary! I found the book itself was easy to read and its a relitivly short story, but there is an awful lot of story crammed in. I liked the search for Josella and how bill never gave up looking for her. I found it interesting as I thought I would reflect how the human population would react. This was my first 'world ending/changing' book but I will definitaly read more! This is a really good book and I highly recommend reading it if you havent already!

Rating 4/5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna Maxted - Being Committed

9780099439899.jpg

Synopsis - Hannah thinks you have to be insane to get married. She's content with her life - the job as private investigator at Hound Dog Investigations, the boyfriend of five years, Jason, and the wonderful father (pity her mother is such a disaster). Besides, she's tried marriage once before, but she ended up divorced before she was 21.

So, when the long-suffering Jason proposes, Hannah doesn't think twice about turning him down. Still, she is a little shaken when, a month later, the man has the nerve to get engaged to someone else. Is she not up to settling down? Hannah's family are convinced she blew her one chance of hooking a permanent man, and maybe - just maybe - there's something in Jason's theory that being committed means first coming to terms with your past...

My Thoughts - I really enjoyed this book, even though it took me a week and a half to read. I did have somethings that prevented me from reading though. This book had me laughing out loud in places, and although its chick lit, it wasnt too fluffy and predicable. The little one line teasers at the end of some of the chapters kept me reading more and more. The plot was good, it wasnt hugely predicable, there were some twists and turns that I didnt see coming either. I'm glad I read this book and I will be reading more by this author.

Rating - 4/5

Constance and Faith - Victoria Routledge

Products%5C743%5C415%5C9780743415200_m_f.jpg

Synopsis - Hannah Marshall never thought she'd return to her west coast hometown of Linton, riddled with exhausted coal mines and permanently overhung with rain clouds. Her degree and her job in an international auction house were her ticket out of Linton's faded Georgian splendour, and she escaped gladly. But now, ten years later, Hannah is back, for reasons she won't discuss, to find little seems to have changed. It's still rainy, her mother Fran is still fighting social injustice, and her bewitching grandmother Dora is still ruling the circle of ladies who dominate the town. Seeing Linton through an adult's eyes, Hannah begins to make out a complicated web of old grudges and secrets - and the definite air of scandal that surrounds her turbulent family. What is Dora's real connection with the rich Musgrave sisters, who brought her up in the big villa next door? Why does she refuse to discuss her childhood? And why is Fran so desperate to know? As Hannah faces up to her own demons, she's forced to dig into the family's past and confront the hidden truths that haunt her family and Linton itself.

My thoughts - This was a book I brought last year with lots of chick lit books. In my opinion its not really chick lit, more womans fiction. I really enjoyed this book, a lot more than I thought I would. The story centres on Hannah, who moves back home when her relationship fails and all the secrets surrounding her family. It kept me hooked and wanting to read more and more to find out what all the secrets were. The author has a lovely writing style, and I got hooked into a little world imagining how the old house was like. This was a lovely book to read, highly recommended and I would definitaly look out for more by the author.

Rating - 4.5/5

Filthy Rich - Wendy Holden

filthy_rich.jpg

Synopsis - When Mary meets gorgeous Monty, heir to a stately pile, romantic bliss seems assured. But after the roof falls in and the pictures are flogged, happiness is thin on the ground.

Beth exchanges Holland Park for simple weekends at the country cottage her banker husband’s bonus has bought. They only offered a little over the asking price – why don’t the locals like them?

Uber-WAG Alexandra needs a country mansion – fast. Her footballer boyfriend is being transferred and time is running out. There must be a Hello!-tastic pile somewhere?

Morag is the terror of the village. She’s a Stalin against slug pellets who wears hemp trousers and makes her own Weetabix.

When the village launches an allotment project they become dramatically embroiled in a bitter struggle over sex, power and money, which threatens to blight more than everyone’s carrots.

My Thoughts - This book centres on a village and some of the people that live there. To me, it wasnt my favourite book of the year, mainly because I had already read some simular books this year. I did find at the begining all the characters quite overwhelming, and I did have to re-read some pages to understand who everybody was. This book is a good summer read, very light hearted, but for me I don't think I read this book at the right time.

Rating - 2.5/5

My Thoughts - To me this book was the icing on the cake of a fantastic trilogy. It rounded off the story perfectly and I was actually quite sad that it had come to an end. It has amazed me that one man could have come up with the entire story and complex plot and settings by himself, really its like another world, and it is described so well it could actually have been real. I know I keep comparing it to the film, but I thought the book was better again because of all the extra detail that is explained, for example, what happens at Hobbiton. This series is fantastic, and if you havent yet read it give it a read!

Rating - 5/5

Have you tried Jack Vance's Llyonesse trilogy Lauraloves? It has a more English feel but plenty of strange magicians and mystery and a love story too.

Have you tried Jack Vance's Llyonesse trilogy Lauraloves? It has a more English feel but plenty of strange magicians and mystery and a love story too.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have a look at them and have added them to my wishlist :)

Constance and Faith - Victoria Routledge

Products%5C743%5C415%5C9780743415200_m_f.jpg

Synopsis - Hannah Marshall never thought she'd return to her west coast hometown of Linton, riddled with exhausted coal mines and permanently overhung with rain clouds. Her degree and her job in an international auction house were her ticket out of Linton's faded Georgian splendour, and she escaped gladly. But now, ten years later, Hannah is back, for reasons she won't discuss, to find little seems to have changed. It's still rainy, her mother Fran is still fighting social injustice, and her bewitching grandmother Dora is still ruling the circle of ladies who dominate the town. Seeing Linton through an adult's eyes, Hannah begins to make out a complicated web of old grudges and secrets - and the definite air of scandal that surrounds her turbulent family. What is Dora's real connection with the rich Musgrave sisters, who brought her up in the big villa next door? Why does she refuse to discuss her childhood? And why is Fran so desperate to know? As Hannah faces up to her own demons, she's forced to dig into the family's past and confront the hidden truths that haunt her family and Linton itself.

My thoughts - This was a book I brought last year with lots of chick lit books. In my opinion its not really chick lit, more womans fiction. I really enjoyed this book, a lot more than I thought I would. The story centres on Hannah, who moves back home when her relationship fails and all the secrets surrounding her family. It kept me hooked and wanting to read more and more to find out what all the secrets were. The author has a lovely writing style, and I got hooked into a little world imagining how the old house was like. This was a lovely book to read, highly recommended and I would definitaly look out for more by the author.

Rating - 4.5/5

Hmm- this sounds like something I would like. I'm definately adding it to my wishlist.

The Other Woman's Shoes - Adele Parks

The-Other-Woman-s-Shoes.jpg

Synopsis - Eliza and Martha are sisters. But that's where the similarity ends.

Martha appears to have the perfect life: two lovely children and plenty of money. Eliza lives in a one-bedroom flat with her musician boyfriend Greg. When Eliza ditches Greg and turns up on her sister's doorstep, she expects to be swallowed into the sanctuary of Martha's warm loving home. But Martha's husband has just announced he's leaving. For good. Proving to both women that a wedding ring isn't a life raft.

Then Martha meets Jack, who is everything she's never wanted, whilst Eliza is dating dozens of men in hope of finding the perfect husband. Suddenly the sisters are faced with the same challenge- is there such as thing as the perfect love? or the perfect life?

My Thoughts - This is yet another chick lit book! It centres on two sisters who seem to want each others lives and as the story goes on, is the other ones life as perfect as it seems? I did enjoy the story however some parts of the story did seem quite unrealistic and not really true to real life. However, it was a good summer read, one that didnt require much thinking about. It was a book that was enjoyable time, but not one that I would read again or buy anymore like.

Rating - 2.5/5

I went visiting my local bookshop this afternoon and I have to say I love love love going there! Its owned by a husband and wife team who really love their books. They stock second hand books and also new books, but they are always in brilliant condition and also very cheap! I love the fact that they are book lovers too, as they always have brilliant recommendations! I only had a small ammount of money on me today, probably a good thing otherwise I could have gone mad in their!

I brought today

Sniper One - Sgt Dan Mills - This is my boyfriends favourite book of all time, but I didnt want to read his copy as his is in such good condition I wouldnt want to crease the spine accidently

The Mask of Troy - David Gibbins - this sounds really good, on the cover it discribes it as a cross between Indiana Jones and Dan Brown.

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - this is one I've had on my wishlist for a long time

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance - this contains 24 short stories from authors including Kelley Armstrong and I wanted to try some new authors so I thought this would be a good way to try it!

I also got a book magazine full of recommendations, think I'm going to have an even longer wishlist by tonight!

I hope you enjoy Never Let Me Go, lauraloves, Kazuo Ishiguro is one of my favourite authors, but I think people tend to either love him or hate him! :)

Thanks :) I'm looking forward to reading this, even if it is to see wheather I love or hate it!

The Other Woman's Shoes - Adele Parks

The-Other-Woman-s-Shoes.jpg

Synopsis - Eliza and Martha are sisters. But that's where the similarity ends.

My Thoughts - This is yet another chick lit book! It centres on two sisters who seem to want each others lives and as the story goes on, is the other ones life as perfect as it seems? I did enjoy the story however some parts of the story did seem quite unrealistic and not really true to real life. However, it was a good summer read, one that didnt require much thinking about. It was a book that was enjoyable time, but not one that I would read again or buy anymore like.

Rating - 2.5/5

Lauraloves, that sounds a bit like that Cameron Diaz movie

Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi

220px-ReadingLolitainTehran.jpg

Challenges - August Reading Circle 2011

Rory Gilmore Challenge

501 Must Read Books

Synopsis - For two years before she left Iran in 1997, Azar Nafisi gathered seven young women at her house every Thursday morning to read and discuss forbidden works of Western literature. They were all former students whom she had taught at university. Some came from conservative and religious families, others were progressive and secular; several had spent time in jail. Shy and uncomfortable at first, they soon began to open up and speak more freely, not only about the novels they were reading but also about themselves, their dreams and disappointments. Their stories intertwined with those they were reading - "Pride and Prejudice", "Washington Square", "Daisy Miller" and "Lolita" - their Lolita, as they imagined her in Tehran. Nafisi's account flashes back to the early days of the revolution when she first started teaching at the University of Tehran amid the swirl of protests and demonstrations. In those frenetic days, the students took control of the university, expelled faculty members and purged the curriculum. Azar Nafisi's luminous tale offers a portrait of the Iran-Iraq war viewed from Tehran and gives us a glimpse, from the inside, of women's lives in revolutionary Iran.

My Thoughts - I was a little but apprehensive about reading this book as I thought I might not understand it or be able to get into it, but it is possibly the best book I have read this year. It is a true story, with the main plot being on the author and her life in Iran. The main thing that fascinated me was the cultural differences between life here in England and life for women in Iran. For example, women could be put in prison and even killed for simply wearing nail varnish. This is also shocking considering this story was written in 1997, nearly fifteen years ago. In the modern world, it is shocking to think that this can still happen.

The book bases its plot around several classic western books, like Austen and Gatsby. Unfortunalty, I had not read any of the books mentioned, but I have several on my wishlist, and even more now I have read this book.

This book is amazing. It is a must read book that really highlights the plight of women in Iran. Before reading this book I was very ignorant to their cause, but now I would love to read more books like this one.

Rating - 5/5

I hadn't been going to join the Reading Circle this month, as I really only read fiction, but RLiT sounds great, lauraloves! Thank you for the great review - I have just ordered it from Amazon, so should be in time to join the Reading Circle later in the month. :)

I had been going to borrow my son's Kindle and download it onto that, as I haven't tried reading an ebook yet, but it was actually over £3 more expensive to download so I didn't :(

I hadn't been going to join the Reading Circle this month, as I really only read fiction, but RLiT sounds great, lauraloves! Thank you for the great review - I have just ordered it from Amazon, so should be in time to join the Reading Circle later in the month. :)

I had been going to borrow my son's Kindle and download it onto that, as I haven't tried reading an ebook yet, but it was actually over £3 more expensive to download so I didn't :(

Yay :) It really is brilliant and glad to have another person to discuss the book with!

Thats one of the reasons I don't have an ebook reader/kindle because the books are so expensive!

Practically Perfect - Katie Fforde

277260.jpg

Synopsis - Will Anna's grand designs prove just a pipe dream? Anna, a newly qualified interior designer, has decided it's time to put her money and her expertise where her mouth is. She's risked everything on buying a tiny but adorable cottage, so she can renovate it, sell it on, and prove to her family that she can earn her own living. Outside, the chocolate-box cottage is perfect, but inside all is chaos: with a ladder for a staircase, no downstairs flooring, candles the only form of lighting and a sleeping bag and camping mat for a bed, Anna's soon wondering whether she's bitten off more than she can chew. Her neighbour Chloe comes to the rescue, providing tea, wine and sympathy - and a recently rescued greyhound, Caroline. But, just as Anna's starting to believe she's found the perfect idyll, the good-looking yet impossible Rob Hunter arrives on the scene, putting up more obstacles than the Grand National. Can Anna get over all of life's hurdles?

My Thoughts - When I started to read this I thought that I wouldnt enjoy it very much, but I was wrong. I really enjoyed this book, the plot was very easy to get into and once I had started to read it, I couldnt put it down. The story centres on Anna, who buys a cottage in the Cotswolds, as a former love interest lives near there, to renovate. There is also an added twist when Anna gets a greyhound called Caroline. There are many twists and turns in the book, however, these were quite preditable, like many other chick lit books. This was a lovely little easy read, not one that would really challenge, but a perfect little summer read. This is not an author that I am familar with, but I have heard good things about her, but I will definitaly keep a look out for more over her books for summer reads. This is a brilliant book for any chick lit lovers, however if your not really a fan, I would say that this is not your type of book.

Rating - 4/5

Forbidden Places - Penny Vincenzi

9780755333202.gif

Synopsis - Forbidden Places is about love and marriage, families and secrets, and about wartime and what it does to every accepted social value. It is a story of three women and one family.

One is married and widowed within five years. She is free to start again. Or is she? The second has a perfect husband she thinks she loves. He becomes a grotesque parody of what he once was. Is that love real? The third becomes trapped in a nightmare marriage. Can the war free her?

My Thoughts - This book is the second I have read by Penny Vincenzi. The plot centres on three women, and all the goings on within their particular family during the second world war. I did really enjoy this book, but a couple of things were slightly off putting for me.

To start with, their was a lot of main charaters, and quite a few lesser ones too. Luckily their was a list at the front of the book otherwise I would have become a lot more confused. it was interesting with so many people in the book, just a bit confusing sometimes!

Also, as with other books by this author, it was huge! Almost 650 pages and I'm actually surprised I read this within a week! I think pesonally I would have enjoyed it a bit more than I did if it was a hundred pages or so shorter than it was! All the parts that the women were deciding who to live with etc could have been cut out as these parts did annoy me slightly.

There were good points too, I love books that are set during world war two, its my favourite time period ever, and I always enjoy books set in this time. It was also very real on the realities of war, and what life was like for those that were left behind. All in all it was a good book, the only off putting thing was the sheer size of it!

I would read more by the author if I came across more books by her!

Rating - 4/5

Black Swan Rising - Lee Carroll

black-swan.jpg

Synopsis - Jeweller Garet James isn't the same as everyone else.

She just doesn't know it yet.

With her fair share of problems – money (lack of), an elderly father, a struggling business – Garet should be just like any other young, feisty, single New Yorker. If only it was that simple...

It begins with the old silver box that had been soldered shut. All Garet has to do is open it. A favour for the frail owner of the antiques shop. Who wouldn’t help?

Only it’s then that things start to change. Garet doesn't notice at first, the shifts barely perceptible. But the city in which she grew up is beginning to reveal a long-hidden side – darker, and altogether more dangerous: parallel world of chaos, smoke and blood.

And now it’s out of the box...and it has no intention of going back in.

My Thoughts - This is the first book that I have read for the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge. Also, this is the first fantasy/vampire book that I have read in a good many years!

The story centres on Garet, who to start with seems to be a normal woman living in New York, apart from having the struggle of coping with an elderly father, seems quite normal. However, this all changes when she gets her hands on a mysterious silver box, from the equally mysterious John Dee. Once the box is opened, it enleashes all sorts of horrors into New York. Garet meets all different kinds of 'people' vampires, fairies, creatures, dragons in her quest to find the silver box.

This book did start off a little bit slow for me during the first few pages, but the pace picked up very quickly and I was hooked into the story. The author isnt just one person, its a husband and wife team and I thought this brought a bit more to the book, two heads are better than one in that respect!

I was a little unsure if this was going to be a little bit to YA, but this was definitaly for me an adult book, quite dark in places too. I have kind of stayed away from the huge volume of vampire/fantasy books due to the sheer volume of books on this subject, but this was definitaly a breath of fresh air for me. I am so pleased that I picked this book for the transworld book group.

This book comes highly recommended, and the best part? The sequal has already been published, and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Rating - 4/5

I did a little online bookshopping this afternoon, was really stuck for what to buy as I had sooooo many choices, but I finally decided to buy the top four books of my wishlist :D

I brought

Oh Carol - Carol Mcgiffen - this is the autobiography of Carol Mcgiffen, one of the panelists on loose women.

Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult - to continue my obsession with Jodi Picoult

The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler - I've had this on my wishlist for a while, but I think ill read some Austen books before I read this!

The Memory Keepers Daughter - Kin Edwards - have been after this book for ages!

Airs and Graces - Erica James

9780752883526.jpg

Synopsis - Ellen has been living on her own in a picturesque if damp cottage in Cheshire since her husband abandoned her to go and live with another woman in Provence. Having married once for love, she is now determined that the second time around it will be for money. Close at hand is Duncan, her not unattractive, and enticingly single, divorce lawyer... But then two new people enter her life: Jo-Jo, a homeless girl several months pregnant; and Matthew, an artist who paints murals in country houses and who, on his first meeting with Ellen, openly criticises her for being mercenary and devious. But, as hostility gives way to friendship, Ellen realises that she has wavered off course from her original plan and she has to remind herself very strongly indeed that Duncan is the man for her ...

My Thoughts - I was quite looking forward to this book as she is my mums favourite author, and many other people have told me good things about it. I did enjoy this book, as I read it in just over a day and a half. it is a chick lit book, quite simular to other chick lit books, but this one wasnt too fluffy. The plot was fairly predicable and not too difficult to read, but as I was in the mood to read something that was light, it did really match my mood. it wasnt a very long book, just the right length as I find that sometimes chick lit books can ramble on a little, but this one was good. It contained the usual chick lit plot, romance, friends, family, but also some more serious messages like death and teenage pregnancy.

A lovely little read that is perfect for curling up with on a wet and cold day, nothing that requires much thinking, but a good read. I would read more by Erica James if I came across it, but not something I would activly go and and seek.

Rating - 3/5

Young Wives Tales - Adele Parks

9780141024783_BK_M_F.JPG

Synopsis - Lucy stole Rose's 'happily ever after' because she wanted Rose's husband, Peter. But as Peter's interest diminishes and Lucy's domestic responsibilities increase, Lucy wonders if the 'happily ever after' is all a big con. Rose is now a devoted single mum but her twin boys seem to need her less and less and without them she wonders what she amounts to. They both envy Connie, who is happily married and effortlessly balancing two kids with a fulfilling career until, that is, a dangerous old flame flickers back into view at the school gates and threatens her marriage ...All three women need more than blind belief to negotiate their way through modern life. Things can only get better ...or worse. Or better?

My Thoughts - Well, what a surprising book! I thought that I wouldnt enjoy this one, having read some very simular stories this year, but I couldnt have been more wrong! For a change, the charaters were realistic, they had very normal lives with very 'lifelike' qualities, it wasnt as though they were too perfect. Also, the plot was very good! I thought that the plot was going to be predicable, but it was the case that every time I thought I new where the plot was going, it turned the other way. This book could have been real life, as it was just written so well. The only small thing that annoyed me was that this is a follow up book, and this was only mentioned on the last page. It worked well as a stand alone book, it was just me being me and having to read books in the right order that fuelled my annoyance! I have another adele parks on my tbr pile and can't wait to get round to this!

Rating - 4/5