Himself's 2011 - And Beyond - Reading Log

Himself

No, it is a Mid 19th century western. Most of the novel is spent following a group of "scalphunters".

*shudders* I hate scalpings. But I'll be brave and give it a try one day (I mean reading the book, not scalping! huh.gif)

Point Omega, by Don Delillo

Synopsis:

In the middle of a desert ‘somewhere south of nowhere’, to a forlorn house made of metal and clapboard, a secret war adviser has gone in search of space and time. Richard Elster, seventy-three, was a scholar – an outsider – when he was called to a meeting with government war planners. For two years he tried to make intellectual sense of the troop deployments, counterinsurgency, orders for rendition. He was to map the reality these men were trying to create.

At the end of his service, Elster retreats to the desert, where he is joined by a young filmmaker intent on documenting his experience. Jim Finley wants to make a one-take film, Elster its single character – ‘Just a man against a wall.’

The two men sit on the deck, drinking and talking. Finley makes the case for his film. Weeks go by. And then Elster’s daughter Jessie visits – an ‘otherworldly’ woman from New York – who dramatically alters the dynamic of the story. When a devastating event follows, all the men’s talk, the accumulated meaning of conversation and isolation, is thrown into question. What is left is loss, fierce and incomprehensible.

Review:

Another first experience with an author. Based on this book alone I like Delillo's style. The conversations between Elster and Finley are exceptionally crafted. Elster's probing thoughts on war and life are, at the very least, interest, and, at their best, mind boggling. Delillo manages to expertly twist seemingly banal situations into insights into the feelings and thoughts of his characters, and, by extension, forces the reader to ponder those same issues.

This quotation from near the beginning of the book is highly applicable: "The less there was to see, the harder he looked, the more he saw."

4/5

I've only read Catch-22 out of those, but it's one of my favourite books so I'd highly recommend it!

On recommendation of my Dad I began Portnoy's Complaint. I will probably read Catch-22 third of those three. I am definitely looking forward to it now. :D

Sat down a finished up a few books I'd been working on recently (Death of Ivan Ilyich, Portnoy's Complaint, and King Lear). Will get some reviews up soon. Started Contact, by Carl Sagan. I also took to making my priority list for my coming reads, in no particular order:

Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess

Catch-22, Joseph Heller

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce

The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner

Notes from Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro

Zeitoun, Dave Eggers

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, Michael Chabon

Hopefully I'll be able to work through these pretty quickly. So much great stuff to read, can't wait to dig in. Any recommendations on where to go first would are very welcome.

I'd recommend A Clockwork Orange as your next read from that list. I mean, there's some brilliant novels in there - as Kylie mentioned, Catch 22 is nothing short of fantastic - but having finished A Clockwork Orange not too long ago, I feel you should give it a shot. It's one of those books I reckon everyone should read at one point or another. Good luck with your reading, you've got some great stuff to get stuck into.

Edited by Ben

• 3 weeks later...

You must read Catch 22 :lol:

Interesting to read your thoughts on Treasure Island, The Time Machine and Around the World in 80 Days, they're on my list and I feel like I should read them but something puts me off ... what you've written has confirmed my worst fears (especially about Treasure Island) I guess I will attempt them at some point but they're sinking like stones at the moment.

I love your list, I read Notes from Underground and Never Let me Go recentlyish and enjoyed both. Look forward to reading your thoughts on Death of Ivan Ilyich.

Did I say you must read Catch 22?

Hi himself. Welcome to the forum. You have some really interesting books in your TBR. I imagine Kierkegaard would be very interesting although perhaps a little heavy going. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Glad you're enjoying Catch-22. It's a great read.