Kat's 2011 Reading

Lilywhite

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found it quite odd so far but in that intriguing kind of way. I think it's more the concept of the book than the writing style that is odd but I haven't thought about abandoning it, so that's a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Killing Place

Tess Gerritsen

HE WATCHES

Something terrible has happened in the snowbound village of Kingdom Come, Wyoming. Twelve eerily identical houses stand dark and abandoned. The people who lived in them appear to have vanished, seemingly into thin air.

HE WAITS

Maura Isles is driving through the area with a group of friends when they find themselves trapped in a snowstorm. They stumble into the abandoned village to take shelter. But their nightmare has only just begun.

THEY DISAPPEAR

Days later, Jane Rizzoli flies to Wyoming to search for her missing friend. A crashed vehicle has been found with four badly burned bodies still inside. Can one of the corpses be Maura’s? Jane’s hunt for the truth leads her to Kingdom Come. Where the person who was watching Maura now lies waiting for her…

Started: 18/06/11

Finished: 23/06/11

Rated: 4.5/5

Comments:Loved it! It's been a while since I read any of Tess's books and this one has not disappointed. A real page turner! This one is part of the Rizolli & Isles series (book 8 I think) and centres mainly around Maura Isles, which makes a nice change as we don't always get to see much of her. It's a real character building book and just reaffirms for me, why I love these two so much.

It's interesting to read your views on Room Kat and that you haven't rated this as highly as a lot of others I've heard about it from. I've had this sitting on my to-be-read pile for a little while now, and although it seemed interesting enough to purchase at the time, I seem to have been putting it off in favour of some of the other books I have yet to read, and your comments seem to be putting me off further. I'm sure I'll get around to reading it eventually, but with so many fantastic books on the shelves, might have to push it to the side.

It's interesting to read your views on Room Kat and that you haven't rated this as highly as a lot of others I've heard about it from. I've had this sitting on my to-be-read pile for a little while now, and although it seemed interesting enough to purchase at the time, I seem to have been putting it off in favour of some of the other books I have yet to read, and your comments seem to be putting me off further. I'm sure I'll get around to reading it eventually, but with so many fantastic books on the shelves, might have to push it to the side.

Don't get me wrong Ben, Room is a good read. It's just not the amazing book that a lot of people have gone on about. I blame Richard & Judy for that! They like to create hype about books on their book club list so that the sales go up. (unfortunately for them, I got it in a charity shop for 69p, so I don't feel so hard done by)

I would still give it a go, but maybe at a time when you don't want something so taxing. It's such a light and easy read that you don't really need to put too much thought into it, you just go with the flow.

Don't get me wrong Ben, Room is a good read. It's just not the amazing book that a lot of people have gone on about. I blame Richard & Judy for that! They like to create hype about books on their book club list so that the sales go up. (unfortunately for them, I got it in a charity shop for 69p, so I don't feel so hard done by)

I would still give it a go, but maybe at a time when you don't want something so taxing. It's such a light and easy read that you don't really need to put too much thought into it, you just go with the flow.

I know exactly what you mean; there always seems to be a lot of hype over books that appear on such programmes, sometimes over-hyped like this one probably is. I mean, I will still give it a go like you said, but maybe not quite yet huh; sounds like a nice, light and easy summer read perhaps.

Edited by Ben

Definitely Dead (book 6)

Charlaine Harris

Sookie doesn't have that many relations, so she hated to lose one - but of all the people to go, she didn't expect it to be her cousin Hadley, a consort of New Orleans' vampire queen - after all, Hadley was technically already dead. But she is gone, beyond recall, and she's left Sookie an inheritance - one that comes with a bit of a risk - not least because someone doesn't want Sookie digging too deep into Hadley's past - or her possessions. Sookie's life is once again on the line, and this time the suspects range from the rogue werewolves who have rejected Sookie as a friend of the pack to her first love, the vampire Bill. Sookie's got a lot to do if she's going to keep herself alive . . .

Started: 24/06/2011

Finished: 03/07/11

Rated: 4/5

Comments: Another cracker! I love these books! This was another good one, mainly because Bill was no more than a passing reference. I love Quinn, he's GGGRRRRRRReat! (If you catch my drift) Can't wait to get onto the next one.

I agree - I read Room quite early on, when I knew nothing about it, and I did really enjoy it. But, once things get hyped, I think you expect too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Altogether Dead (book 7)

Charlaine Harris

Sookie's beginning to get used to being surrounded by all varieties of undead, changeling, shapeshifting and other supernatural beings - but even she has her limits. She'd really like to take a while to get over being betrayed by Bill, her long-time vampire lover, and get used to her new relationship with the sexy shapeshifter Quinn - but instead, she finds herself attending the long-planned vampire summit, the destination of choice for every undead power player around, as a sort-of human 'Geiger counter' for Sophie-Anne Leclerq, vampire queen of Louisiana. But the job is fraught with difficulties. Sophie-Anne's power base has been severely weakened by Hurricane Katrina, and she's about to be put on trial during the event for murdering her king. Sookie knows the queen is innocent, but she's hardly prepared for other shocking murders: it looks like there are some vamps who would like to finish what nature started. With secret alliances and backroom deals the order of the day - and night - Sookie must decide which side she'll stand with, and quickly, for her choice may mean the difference between survival and all-out catastrophe.

Started: 06/07/11

Finished: 02/08/11

Rated: 3/5

Comments: This wasn't my favourite Sookie book but it was far from boring. It took a long time to get going and then all of a sudden it was over. The big build up was a bit of a let down when the main event came and went.

• 4 weeks later...

From Dead to Worse(book 7)

Charlaine Harris

The supernatural community in Bon Temps, Louisiana is reeling from two hard blows: the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina, and the manmade horror of the explosion at the vampire summit in the up-north city of Rhodes. Sookie Stackhouse is safe but dazed, and she's yearning for things to get back to normal. But that's just not happening. Too many vampires - some friends, some not - were killed or injured, and her were-tiger boyfriend Quinn is among the missing. It's clear that things are changing, whether the weres and vamps like it or not. And Sookie, Friend to the Pack, blood-bonded to the leader of the local vampire community, is caught up in those changes. She's about to find herself facing danger and death and, not for the first time, betrayal by someone she loves. And when the fur has finished flying and the cold blood has stopped flowing, Sookie's world will be forever altered . . .

Started: 02/08/11

Finished: 05/10/11

Rated: 4/5

Comments: I can't believe it took me sooo long to read this book. Moving house really interrupted my flow! None the less, it was great. I can't express enough how much I love this series (and not just for the TV show). I love how Sookie always ends up neck high in trouble and this book is no exception.

• 2 months later...

Great Expectations

Charles Dickens

'It was now too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen now, and the world lay spread before me’

A terrifying encounter with an escaped convict in a graveyard on the wild Kent marshes; a summons to meet the bitter, decaying Miss Havisham and her beautiful, cold-hearted ward Estella; the sudden generosity of a mysterious benefactor – these form a series of events that change the orphaned Pip’s life forever, and he eagerly abandons his humble origins to begin a new life as a gentleman. Dickens’s haunting late novel depicts Pip’s education and development through adversity as he discovers the true nature of his ‘great expectations’.

Started: 11/10/11

Finished: 21/12.11

Rated: 2/5

Comments: My rating may seem a little harsh but I just didn't take to this book. I finished it because I wanted to know how it ended, not because I felt some sort of need to see how it all worked out. My main problem was my dislike of the main character. I just couldn't get past this to enjoy the story as it unfolded. I won't say it's put me off Dickens as I still love his Christmas Books but I may investigate much further before I pick up another story.

• 1 month later...

You Belong To Me

Karen Rose

The next addictive thriller from the uncomparable bestseller Karen Rose

When forensic pathologist Lucy Trask stumbles across a mutilated body by the chess tables in her local Baltimore park, its face so badly damaged it is unrecognisable, her sole concern is that it might be her old school teacher Mr Pugh.

When the corpse is identified, Lucy is shocked to discover that the victim is actually another man from her past. Who killed him and why his skin is burnt with the number '1' is unclear but it's evident that someone is demanding Lucy's attention.

The discovery of a second branded body raises worrying questions: how many more lives may be at risk before the killer's final message is revealed? And can Lucy solve the killer's gruesome puzzle before their thirst for revenge is complete?

Started: 15/10/11

Finished: 13/11/11

Rated: 2.5

Comments: This is not one of Karen Rose's best thrillers. I think she's deviated slightly from her usual formula and it hasn't worked for me. At times it felt like there were too many threads all at one and I struggled to keep up with who/what/when/where. maybe it was the longer gaps between reading, I don't know but it certainly didn't flow as well as usual. Saying that, I still read to the end and was continually trying to guess 'whodunnit'. Am looking forward to her next book in the new year.

• 1 month later...

Think of a Number

John Verdon

It begins with a letter . . . The letter contains a request - think of a number, any number - and a sealed envelope. Inside the envelope is that number.

When Dave Gurney, retired NYPD homicide detective, is contacted by an old college acquaintance about some startling letters he's been receiving, it is at first little more than a diverting but sinister puzzle. Until the acquaintance is brutally killed.

Suddenly Gurney finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation that makes no sense. The killer seems to have known his victim intimately. How else was he able to predict his victim's thoughts, even his actions? How did he know his darkest secrets?

The killer is smart and he is playing with the police. Gurney needs to be smarter if he's going to catch him, but this seems only to be the beginning. And the killer alone knows where it will end.

Started: 21/12/11

Finished:

Rated:

Comments:

I've moved this over in to my 2012 List as I won't have finished it in time for New Year.