Kell's 2011 Reading Log

Kell

Musing Mondays

Will you be buying books for the holidays, this year?

If so, for whom, and why?

I buy books as gifts for pretty much everyone every year for Christmas! Seriously – why would I not? For those who already love reading, I choose books I know they will love. For those who don’t read regularly, I try to choose books that will excite them and if the book I give them is the only book they read that ear, then I still feel I’ve done a good job.

Obviously, because it’s not yet Christmas, I won’t mention which books I’ve chosen or who they are for, because I don’t want to spoil the surprise. Even our son, Xander, who is only three years old, loves books, so he’s included in my festive book frenzy!

~***~

Cover Crazy

4therook.jpg

What I love:

By now you will most likely have realised I like covers that have few colours on them. Especially if they’re contrasting. Especially if they’re black and white. I just adore how clean and crisp monochrome looks and this cover is just a stunning one.

The coat of arms intrigues me – such unusual and unlikely images adorn it. There’s a white teapot, a black chess piece (a rook or castle), a black octopus and a white rabbit. The inclusion of a white rabbit and a teapot makes me think of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and the chess piece is reminiscent of Alice Through the Looking Glass, so straight away, I’m thinking this has some “down the rabbit hole” confusion and mystery in it.

The font is very stark, but makes the title stand out so clearly that I love its simplicity. All in all, this cover is a lesson in just how beautiful and mysterious a monochrome cover can be. And when you read the synopsis, tell me it doesn’t make you go, “Oh, my Gods, I want to read this book IMMEDIATELY!” Go on. I dare you. If you do, I’ll call you a liar! It just sounds frickin’ awesome! Anyway, you’ll have to wait till next year…

Synopsis:

‘The body you are wearing used to be mine.’ So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her. She soon learns that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Chequy that battles the many supernatural forces at work in Britain. She also discovers that she possesses a rare, potentially deadly supernatural ability of her own. In her quest to uncover which member of the Chequy betrayed her and why, Myfanwy encounters a person with four bodies, an aristocratic woman who can enter her dreams, a secret training facility where children are transformed into deadly fighters, and a conspiracy more vast than she ever could have imagined. Filled with characters both fascinating and fantastical, THE ROOK is a richly inventive, suspenseful, and often wry thriller that marks an ambitious debut from a promising young writer.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEASER TUESDAYS

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

1devilskiss.jpg

My teaser:

Maybe it’s not him. Maybe he’s just some normal kid. Maybe I don’t have to murder him.

- page 2, Devil’s Kiss by Sarwat Chadda

Synopsis:

There’s Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself….And Billi SanGreal.

As the youngest and only female member of the Knights Templar, Bilquis SanGreal grew up knowing she wasn’t normal. Instead of hanging out at the mall or going on dates, she spends her time training as a soldier in her order’s ancient battle against the Unholy.

Billi’s cloistered life is blasted apart when her childhood friend, Kay, returns from Jerusalem, gorgeous and with a dangerous chip on his shoulder. He’s ready to reclaim his place in Billi’s life, but she’s met someone new: amber-eyed Michael, who seems to understand her like no one else, effortlessly claiming a stake in her heart.

But the Templars are called to duty before Billi can enjoy the pleasant new twist to her life. One of the order’s ancient enemies has resurfaced, searching for a treasure that the Templars have protected for hundreds of years — a cursed mirror powerful enough to kill all of London’s firstborn. To save her city from catastrophe, Billi will have to put her heart aside and make sacrifices greater than any of the Templars could have imagined.

What I think of it so far:

For once, I’ve actually just finished the book I’m using for Teaser Tuesday and I can vouch for this being a great one! Fans of Arthurian legends will recognise a lot of names in Devil’s Kiss – Arthur, Kay, Gwain and Bors are all present and correct to name but a small handful, but they’re not the same old characters we all know and love from the Medieval histories and romances – this is bang up to date! This is a fresh take on the Knights Templar and their role in keeping the Faith. It’s exciting and energetic and will keep readers of all ages on their toes, although it will especially appeal to teenagers (well, it is a young adult novel). Devil’s Kiss is edgy and doesn’t pull any punches. Right from the first page there’s action and mystery in equal measure and you just can’t wait to turn the page and find out what happens next!

~***~

Top Ten Tuesday

My Top Ten books to be read this winter (all from my Xmas wish list!) are:

1. Simon Scarrow – Praetorian (Romans 11)
  2. Kelley Armstrong – The Gathering (Darkness Rising 1)
  3. Amanda Grange – Henry Tilney’s Diary
  4. Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King’s Mother
  5. Jackson Pierce – Sisters Red
  6. Marissa Meyer – Cinder
  7. Kendare Blake – Anna Dressed In Blood
  8. Maggie Stiefvater – Shiver
  9. Jane Austen and Vera Nazaria – Mansfield Park and Mummies
  10. Jane Austen and Adam Rann – Emma and the Werewolves

Santa, if you’re reading this, I’d love to get some of these in my stocking this year! I promise I’ve been a very good girl…

post-3572-0-28819700-1322559980_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-66373800-1322559985_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-98301500-1322559991_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-62927500-1322559996_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40920500-1322560000_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-06233300-1322560004_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-60499300-1322560007_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-78890700-1322560011_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-80784000-1322560015_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-15097400-1322560020_thumb.jpg

Hi Kell, how are you? Great reads as always :) I love the sound of 'Incarceron', I noticed the cover first, just added it to my wishlist, happy reading :)

W... W... W... Wednesdays

* What are you currently reading?

* What did you recently finish reading?

* What do you think you’ll read next?

post-3572-0-14964200-1322641517_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-70065300-1322641523_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-81552000-1322641529_thumb.jpg

What are you currently reading?

Melissa Marr – Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely 1)

Chosen from the young adult section of the library. I know absolutely nothing about this series – I chose it based on the title (which I love!) and the cover (which is rather pretty). I’m not very far into it, but so far it’s OK. Nothing particularly original as far as I can see, but enjoyable enough to keep me going to see if that changes…

What did you recently finish reading?

Sarwat Chadda – Devil’s Kiss - 4/5

Fans of Arthurian legends will recognise a lot of names in Devil’s Kiss – Arthur, Kay, Gwain and Bors are all present and correct to name but a small handful, but they’re not the same old characters we all know and love from the Medieval histories and romances – this is bang up to date! This is a fresh take on the Knights Templar and their role in keeping the Faith. It’s exciting and energetic and will keep readers of all ages on their toes, although it will especially appeal to teenagers (well, it is a young adult novel). Devil’s Kiss is edgy and doesn’t pull any punches. Right from the first page there’s action and mystery in equal measure and you just can’t wait to turn the page and find out what happens next!

What do you think you’ll read next?

Muriel Marbery – The Elegance of the Hedgehog

After I mentioned it in my Friday Finds, a forum friend said he’d just finished this book and asked if I would like his copy as he was just going to donate it to a charity shop. I took him up on his very kind offer and will be reading it next…

November Book Round-Up

November was a bit of a bumper month for reading, with another eight books finished – seven of them from the young adult section of the library where I’ve discovered some real gems, and one from my own shelf…

00overview.jpg

RATINGS:

1/5 Dire – don’t waste your time

2/5 OK, but nothing to write home about

3/5 Very good – worth a read

4/5 Excellent

5/5 Superb – read it immediately!

BOOKS FINISHED:

73. Stephen Cole – Resurrection (Wereling Trilogy 3) - 3/5

This is the conclusion of the trilogy, and although it was pretty good, the ending was just slightly disappointing – a bit of a damp squib. I wanted the conclusion to resolve everything but it felt like it had been left just a little open in case the author had an idea for a further installment. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t bad – not by a long shot – it just didn’t quite deliver in the way I had hoped it would. Still, over all, the trilogy is a decent enough read and a fun way to fill a few hours if you like young adult paranormal books.

74. Sarah Singleton – Century - 3/5

A young adult novel that is very cryptic and the mystery is rather compelling - I felt like I was being slowly reeled in like a fish and at some point I would realise I couldn’t escape the pull. It was an enjoyable read but there was something about it that left me feeling there was something missing – some explanation as to the origins of the family’s secret. It is, however, beautifully written – Singleton is an author I will be trying again at some point in the future.

75. Julia Golding – Cat’s Cradle (Cat Royal 6) - 3/5

This series of young adult novels has touched on some serious subjects, from slavery to revolution to piracy and fighting for a cause, but this one didn’t really have a “big” theme – just the more personal one of finding one’s family. That said, it was still a warming and endearing story and an enjoyable read, and I look forward to completing the series with the novella which is only available as an e-book.

76. Chris Riddell – Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline 1) - 4/5

I adore Chris Riddell’s illustrations, but before now I had only ever seen his work when accompanied by the words of another (Paul Stewart in The Edge Chronicles and Neil Gaiman in The Graveyard Book). This first experience of his own story with his gorgeous drawings is something of a revelation! I love the quirkiness of the characters and plot – Riddell has style and flair which, when coupled with those fantastic pen-and-ink renderings, is a winning combination.

77. Chris Riddell – Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline 2) - 4/5

The second Ottoline adventure is just as wonderful as the first. Such a sensible little girl in an unusual situation (absent parents who travel the world while she stays home with Mr Munroe, a small, hairy fellow from the bogs of Norway) trying to find some kind of normality but remaining extraordinary. This series has enough charm to appeal to readers of all ages!

78. Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus - 4/5

When I first got notification of this novel’s impending publication, I fell completely in love with the hardback cover and just knew I had to have it. In the intervening time, I read synopses and then reviews before I bought it and everything pointed towards this being excellent. As a result, I had quite ridiculously high expectations of The Night Circus, but you know what? It pretty much lived up to them, which should have been almost impossible! The writing is just gorgeous and as the plot unfolds and the characters are developed, whilst hopping backwards and forwards in time to tell it, the mystery deepens till the reader is in exactly the same position as the participants – trying to work everything out and make sense of it all. It’s well worth reading this, so if you’re still on the fence, please do hop down on the side of “I’m going to try this book!”

79. Maria V Snyder – Fire Study (Study 3) - 3/5

The final installment of the Study trilogy. Although I enjoyed this one, I wasn’t quite as enamoured of it as I was the others. The first in the series (Poison Study) is definitely the best, but that’s not to say the other two aren’t good – there’s marginal difference in my preference. Fire Study finished the story arc in a very satisfying manner with loads of action, adventure and intrigue between the pages.

80. Sarwat Chadda – Devil’s Kiss - 4/5

Fans of Arthurian legends will recognise a lot of names in Devil’s Kiss – Arthur, Kay, Gwain and Bors are all present and correct to name but a small handful, but they’re not the same old characters we all know and love from the Medieval histories and romances – this is bang up to date! This is a fresh take on the Knights Templar and their role in keeping the Faith. It’s exciting and energetic and will keep readers of all ages on their toes, although it will especially appeal to teenagers (well, it is a young adult novel). Devil’s Kiss is edgy and doesn’t pull any punches. Right from the first page there’s action and mystery in equal measure and you just can’t wait to turn the page and find out what happens next!

BOOKS STARTED (carrying over to November):

I’ve only just started on this, so I can’t really comment yet…

BOOKS ABANDONED UNFINISHED:

Various – Dates From Hell

This is the second time I’ve abandoned this book and it’s doubtful I’ll ever try it again, as it feels like such a chore every time I pick it up!

Compilation of four novellas by four different authors as follows:

Kim Harrison – Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil - 1/5

Absolutely dire. Reading this novella reminded me why I never got past the second book in the Rachel Morgan series. This novella includes the most unsexy and unexciting blood/sex scene I have ever had the misfortune to encounter and the story is both dull and predictable. I will be happy if I never read anything by this author again as long as I live.

The Claire Switch Project (PARTIALLY READ)

So far as I got it’s pretty decent and a damned sight better than the previous story, but not good enough to make me want to continue.

Kelley Armstrong – Chaotic

I may read this part at some part in the future, because I love Armstrong and adore the WotOW novels.

Lori Handeland – Dead Man Dating

Never read anything by this author and it’s unlikely I ever will…

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Mood Reading

Do you find that your mood affects the things you read? Like, if you’re in a bad mood, do you tend to indulge in reading that will support it or do you try to read things that will cheer you up? Do you pick different types of books on dreary, rainy days than you do on bright sunny ones?

For that matter, does your mood color what you’re reading, so that a funny book isn’t so funny or a serious one not so deep?

I’ve never really noticed if mood affects my reading, as I tend to have several books on the go at once and will just pick up whichever one I feel like reading, which tends to be the one I’m enjoying most at any given time. I’m possibly more inclined to read thicker books in the winter, as I like to curl up on the sofa with them; and perhaps lighter-weight paperbacks in the summer, as I read more outdoors, but even so, I carry a paperback in my bag anyway and read my hardbacks at home. The multiple-books tactic also means I can have completely different books on the go at once. I may have an historical fiction, a supernatural thriller, a crime drama and a humorous book dotted around my home, all partially read. I’m not conscious of seeking out one over the others depending on my mood, but perhaps I do on a subconscious level…

KNOW ME BETTER

If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

It would be one of the following:

- The SAHM Memoirs or Confessions of a Yummy Mummy (for my life now)

- Stitched Up! (For my cross stitch designing)

- The Hills Are Alive With the Sound of Losing (Working at William Hills – a bookies)

- Dressing Room Dramas (From my acting days)

- The Office Offensive (I worked at the local council in the CE’s office, and spent time plotting many ingenious ways of murdering my more annoying colleagues using ofice implements)

If you could have a signed copy of any novel what would it be and why?

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. It’s one of my all-time favourite novels by an author who is no longer with us. Imagine how wonderful it would be to have an autographed copy with a personal message! Can someone please invent a time machine so I can get that?

Horror or Romance?

Horror – I’ve never really been a romance reader.

If you could choose only one time period and place to live, when and where would you live and why?

Really, I’m rather pleased I live NOW as not so very long ago I would have been burned as a Witch! If I had to choose a different historical period though, it would be one of three:

- Ancient Rome – I just find that whole era so exciting. It has politics, war, invention, everything!

- Tudor England – just don’t let Henry VIII take a fancy to me, please! And don’t let Mary burn me as a heretic. And don’t let Elizabeth chop my block off either…

- Regency England – I think I’d just really love to have tea with Jane Austen, to be honest.

Do you prefer a bunch of small gifts or one big expensive one?

Either – I just love that someone has cared enough to put some thought into something I’d like. It doesn’t need to be expensive, just thoughtful. Honestly, I’m elated if someone buys me a pretty pen and notebook, or a novel I’ve thought of reading, or some pretty cross stitch fabric and threads. Even a daisy picked by my son puts a smile on my face!

fridayfinds.jpg

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week? Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

- Brenna Yovanoff – The Space Between

- Kendare Blake – Girl of Nightmares (Anna 2)

- Amanda Hocking – Switched (Trylle Trilogy 1)

- Tracy Barrett – Dark of the Moon

- Elizabeth Scott – As I Wake

- Sam Leith – The Coincidence Engine

- Michael Scott and Colette Freedman – The Thirteen Hallows

- SJ Parris – Giordano Bruno series (Heresy; Prophecy; Sacrilege)

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-45713400-1322813159_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-12895400-1322813168_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-01178100-1322813180_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-01278900-1322813185_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-97597500-1322813190_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-88858400-1322813195_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-16623500-1322813204_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-42382700-1322813210_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40934800-1322813217_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-15921000-1322813227_thumb.jpg

MUSING MONDAYS

How many books do you read in a week? Month? Year?

Before I had Xander, I read, on average, anything between 125 and 150 books each year, so that worked out at around 2.5-3 books each week or 10.5-12.5 books each month.

Since becoming a Mummy, my reading has dropped dramatically and initially I was reading only about a third of that, but so far this year I’ve finished 80 books (with still a few weeks to go), so that works out at around 7 each month or 1.5 each week.

It’s a big drop from my pre-Mummy days, but it’s an improvement on the last couple of years when I hit 58 (2010), 52 (2009) and 58 (2008). I’m sure next year I’ll read even more again (unless I have another baby!).

~***~

COVER CRAZY

lostdiaryofdonjuan.jpg

What I love:

The elegance of the title font; the way the author name fades into the script on the page; the ornate gold scrolling on the mask, the petals falling from the long-stemmed roses; the look of a page ripped directly from a personal diary.

This cover screams opulence, elegance and simplicity, all of which is reflected in the novel (which is pretty good, by the way!). I picked this up earlier in the year for a quid in the local pound shop and bought it purely on the strength of the cover being so beautiful. It didn’t let me down.

Synopsis:

It was a time of discovery and decadence, when life became a gamble and the gold that poured endlessly into the port of Sevilla devalued money, marriage, and love itself. In the midst of these treacherous times, Juan Tenorio is born and then abandoned in the barn of a convent. Raised secretly by the nuns, he learns to love and worship all women and wants nothing more than to be a priest, until he falls in love with one of the sisters. When their affair is discovered, Juan leaves the Church forever. He is soon recruited to be a spy by the powerful Marquis de la Mota, who teaches him to become the world’s greatest libertine and seducer of women. But when he crosses swords with the most powerful man in the Empire, Don Juan must escape the murderous fury of the Inquisitor who battles all forms of debauchery, deviance, and heresy.

It is after knowing countless women that he is convinced by the Marquis to keep a diary, and it is here within its pages that Don Juan reveals his greatest adventures and the Arts of Passion he mastered. But what finally compels him to confess everything and risk losing his life, livelihood, and honor is the most perilous adventure of all — the irresistible fall into the madness of love with the only woman who could ever make him forget all others.

Wow!!! 125 - 150 books is an awful lot , still 80 is pretty impressive I don't think I could manage that many books in a year. I agree once you have children it cuts down your me time pretty drastically, now that my youngest has started school I'm enjoying being able to read while I'm eating my lunch & I've even had a few sneaky afternoons on the sofa with a good book , always feels a bit naughty though smile.gif

I think my numbers will go up again next year because I know I'm getting a Kindle and I shoul dhave my new iPod t oload u pwith audio books too. :)

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

3hedgehog.jpg

My teaser:

But I’ve been watching her, when she used to talk with Jean Arthens or when she talks to Neptune when Diane has her back turned, or when she looks at the ladies in the building who walk right by her without saying hello. Madame Michele has the elegance of the hedgehog: on the outside she is covered in quills, a real fortress, but my gut feeling is that on the inside, she has the same simple refinement as the hedgehog: a deceptively indolent little creature, fiercely solitary – and terribly elegant.

- page 139, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Synopsis:

We are in the center of Paris, in an elegant apartment building inhabited by bourgeois families. Renée, the concierge, is witness to the lavish but vacuous lives of her numerous employers. Outwardly she conforms to every stereotype of the concierge: fat, cantankerous, addicted to television. Yet, unbeknownst to her employers, Renée is a cultured autodidact who adores art, philosophy, music, and Japanese culture. With humor and intelligence she scrutinizes the lives of the building’s tenants, who for their part are barely aware of her existence.

Then there’s Paloma, a twelve-year-old genius. She is the daughter of a tedious parliamentarian, a talented and startlingly lucid child who has decided to end her life on the sixteenth of June, her thirteenth birthday. Until then she will continue behaving as everyone expects her to behave: a mediocre pre-teen high on adolescent subculture, a good but not an outstanding student, an obedient if obstinate daughter.

Paloma and Renée hide both their true talents and their finest qualities from a world they suspect cannot or will not appreciate them. They discover their kindred souls when a wealthy Japanese man named Ozu arrives in the building. Only he is able to gain Paloma’s trust and to see through Renée’s timeworn disguise to the secret that haunts her. This is a moving, funny, triumphant novel that exalts the quiet victories of the inconspicuous among us.

I’m unsure what I think of it actually. The writing is incredibly elegant, but the prose is a little more heavy-going than I’ve read more recently (I’ve mostly stuck to rather light fare as I don’t have much reading time and can only snatch short moments here and there, which isn’t conducive to more thoughtful material much of the time). It is very good, but I find it’s taking longer to digest than my “fluffy pudding” novels from the young adult section of the library. Sometimes you just need a fine meal instead of a dessert…

~***~

Top Ten Tuesday

1. Ronia the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren

I desperately wanted to be Ronia, living wild and free in a forest filled with wild harpies, grey dwarves, and other fairy folk!

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

With the exception of the third book (A Horse and his Boy) I adore this series. Whenever I re-read them I just skip over the third one…

3. The Mallory Towers series by Enid Blyton

I begged my parents to send me to boarding school, with visions of midnight feasts, outdoor swimming pools and jolly hockey sticks. I fear the reality would have been far different, so I’m glad they said no!

4. The Snow Spider Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo

This is a completely magical trilogy and I’ve re-read it many times over the years. It’s always just as beautiful.

5. The Nursery Alice by Lewis Carroll

Long before I ever read the full-length version, I had this abridged one, beautifully illustrated and lovingly told. I’ve already read it to Xander several times.

6. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

I loved Harriet’s imagination. I too would have loved to have been a spy. Or a writer. So this appealed to me on both levels!

7. Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White

Such a sad story, but so beautiful that I loved it despite being terrified of spiders!

8. The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I devoured this entire series and was completely enthralled by the whole idea of living ni a little house and having a certain job for each day of the week, growing your own food, and having that whole prairie as a playground!

9. Starring Sally J Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume

This is the Judy Blume book that I read over and over again. I was already on the stage, so Sally’s daydreams casting herself as a movie star really appealed to me.

10. Wonderful Fairy Stories retold by Lornie Leete-Hodge

I still have this book with the most gorgeous illustrations you’ve ever seen. It’s now on Xander’s bookcase and I know I’m going to spend many happy hours reading these stories to him!

post-3572-0-75255000-1323187188_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-05331200-1323187197_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-27178800-1323187215_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-98161700-1323187201_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-68772600-1323187223_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-55455300-1323187230_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-47135900-1323187241_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-38577600-1323187246_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-76128400-1323187251_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-66443800-1323187260_thumb.jpg

0overview.jpg

After I mentioned it in my Friday Finds, a forum friend said he’d just finished this book and asked if I would like his copy as he was just going to donate it to a charity shop. I’m about halfway through this one and I’m unsure what I think of it actually. The writing is incredibly elegant, but the prose is a little more heavy-going than I’ve read more recently (I’ve mostly stuck to rather light fare as I don’t have much reading time and can only snatch short moments here and there, which isn’t conducive to more thoughtful material much of the time). It is very good, but I find it’s taking longer to digest than my “fluffy pudding” novels from the young adult section of the library. Sometimes you just need a fine meal instead of a dessert…

Melissa Marr – Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely 1) - 2/5

First in the Wicked Lovely series. It’s alright, but nothing to write home about. I’ve read rave reviews of this series all over the place, so I might give it a chance and read the second one, but there wasn’t anything particularly original about it other than it’s fairies instead of sparkly teenaged emo vampires (I’m sure you get my drift). The female lead is a good deal stronger than the “heroine” of the aforementioned sparkly vamps series, so that’s something in its favour at least. Actually, if I awarded half stars, I might add that extra half here, but I don’t so it has two stars only. Still, the series might get better…

Fresh from the young adult section of the local library yesterday morning…

Maureen Johnson – The Name of the Star

I spotted this on various blogs and featured in my Friday Finds as I’m a bit of a Ripper nut and couldn’t resist.

Lauren Kate – Torment (Fallen 2)

I recently read the first one in the series, so I thought I’d see how it continues as it wasn’t a bad start.

Laura Powell – The Game of Triumphs

I just love the cover and the blurb on the back was so cryptic I decided to take it home with me.

Sarah Singleton – Heretic

I recently enjoyed Century by this author and thought I’d try this one featuring a girl accused of being the daughter of a Witch. Intriguing stuff - I love historical fiction!

Sarah Singleton – The Poison Garden

And this one was right next to Heretic. I fell in love with the cover – I can’t resist the combination of black, white and red with a touch of silver.

With the exception of the third book (A Horse and his Boy) I adore this series. Whenever I re-read them I just skip over the third one…

I am glad you have said that I only read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and The Magician's Nephew when I was younger and a couple of months back I decided to read the whole series but really didn't like A Horse and His Boy so wondered if it was worth continuing with the others or not.

To my mind, A Horse and His Boy has no place in the Chronicles as it's the only one that doesn't feature human children getting to Narnia - it's outside of their adventures. And it's just nowhere near as good - full stop.

MUSING MONDAYS

What kind of books do you like to read?

Why? Provide specific examples.

I’m quite an eclectic reader, but I guess one of my big favourites would be historical fiction, especially those set during the Tudor dynasty or ancient Rome. I just adore fictional retellings of actual historic events, but these two periods fascinate me. In both cases its the way of life and political intrigue that grabs me every time.

Examples of novels I’ve loved are

(TUDOR) Philippa Gregory – The Other Boleyn Girl /The Boleyn Inheritance / The Queen’s Fool / The Virgin’s Lover / The Constant Princess / The Other Queen

(TUDOR) Alison Weir – The Lady Elizabeth / Innocent Traitor

(TUDOR) Jean Plaidy – The Lady in the Tower

(ROMAN) Simon Scarrow – the Romans series

(ROMAN) Michelle Moran – Cleopatra’s Daughter

(ROMAN) Robert Graves – I, Claudius

Another genre that has always grabbed me by the throat is vampires! There’s just something about vampires that gets my blood pumping and I can’t get enough of them. Some of them have been dreadful (Stephenie Meyers is number one on my hit list of authors who have ruined vampires – they SHOULD NOT SPARKLE!!!), but others have been marvellous and I keep returning to these books – they’re just so addictive!

Just a tiny handful of the vampire novels I’ve loved:

Bram Stoker – Dracula

J Sheridan LeFanu – Carmilla

Charlaine Harris – the Southern Vampires series

Darren Shan – The Saga of Darren Shan series

Dacre Stoker – Dracula The Un-Dead

Elizabeth Kostova – The Historian

Finally, I have to mention a newer genre that has me gagging for more – mash-ups! Whether it’s a dark re-imagining of a classic novel, or a re-written history of a public figure, they’re hilarious and wonderful reads. I’ve yet to be disappointed!

I’ve read and loved the following (and there will be more!):

A E Moorat – Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter

Lynn Shepherd – Murder at Mansfield Park

Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Amanda Grange – Mr Darcy, Vampyre

Adam Roberts – I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas

Sherri Browning Erwin & Charlotte Bronte – Jane Slayre

Seth Grahame-Smith – Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

~***~

COVER CRAZY

childthief.jpg

What I love:

Are you kidding? The red, black and white colour scheme; the central panel showcasing the Boy Who Never Grew Up; the ghostly, almost flickering images sweeping past behind him; the clear font with the title larger than the author’s name; what’s not to love?

I adore Brom’s artwork and writing (if you haven’t already, go back and read his illustrated novels – The Plucker and The Devil’s Rose – they are awesome to the extreme and definitely NOT for children!), and this dark re-imagining of the Peter Pan myth is nothing short of stunning. The Child Thief is Brom’s first full-length novel and there are fewer illustrations than in the illustrated novels, but the pen and ink drawings are as dark and beautiful as fans of his artwork would expect, and his writing is, well, let’s just say it more than lives up to his visual artistry! I heartily recommend reading Brom’s works of fiction – they are brilliant!

For my review of The Child Thief, click on the link HERE.

Synopsis:

In the vein of Gregory Maguire’s bestselling works, the award-winning artist Brom takes us on a haunting look at the true world of Peter Pan, in his first full-length novel. From modern-day New York to the dying land of Faerie, “The Child Thief” reveals the world of Peter Pan through the eyes of an insecure runaway who is seduced by Peter’s charm. But any dreams of a fairy wonderland are quickly replaced by the reality of life and death survival as Peter’s recruits are forced into a lethal battle in which the line between good and evil is blurred.

~***~

IT'S MONDAY, WHAT ARE YOU READING?

post-3572-0-08493500-1323695032_thumb.jpgMuriel Marbery – The Elegance of the Hedgehog

After I mentioned it in my Friday Finds, a forum friend said he’d just finished this book and asked if I would like his copy as he was just going to donate it to a charity shop. I took him up on his very kind offer and will be reading it next…

I’m enjoying it, but it’s not an easy read, so I only pick it up when I have some undisturbed reading time and I can concentrate on it.

post-3572-0-10585400-1323695077_thumb.jpgSarah Singleton – The Poison Garden

I saw this one in the young adult section of the library and fell in love with the cover – I can’t resist the combination of black, white and red with a touch of silver.

I’m about half way through and it’s a great read. I just haven’t had a chance to finish it as I’ve been so busy with festive stuff!

TEASER TUESDAY

2. Open to a random page

poisongarden.jpg

My teaser:

Smith clapped her hands to her cheeks, staring in disbelief. She took two, three deep breaths and stared at the dead woman lying on the bed. Then she stepped towards her again and fell to her knees.

- page 47, The Poison Garden by Sarah Singleton

Synopsis:

Thomas has inherited a magical box from his dead grandmother, which provides entry into a mysterious garden where her ghost warns him she was poisoned. For once she belonged to an arcane guild, whose members each cultivated a garden and mastered the arts of poison, perfume and medicine. The remaining guild members jostle for power as, one by one, they are murdered. Can Thomas solve the mystery before he in turn is threatened?

I’ve not had much reading time yet due to all the festive pressures, so I’m only about a third of the way into this young adult novel. However, I am enjoying it immensely! I’ve previously read only one novel by this author (Century) and was impressed – this one promises to be just as compelling!

~***~

TOP TEN TUESDAY

TO PTEN BOOKS I WANT TO GIVE AS GIFTS

My top ten books I want to give as gifts are…

… oh, come on! You didn’t really expect me to tell you which books I’ve got for people’s Xmas gifts, did you? What if they read it? That would just ruin the surprise! I always get books for everyone at Xmas as part of their gift from me.

So, how about I show you a list of books I’d like everyone who reads this to ask Santa to bring them for Xmas – think of it as my gift to readers everywhere.

1. The Plucker / The Devil’s Rose / The Child Thief by Brom (aka Gerald Brom)

All three of these books are nothing short of brilliant. Brom’s artwork is astounding – dark and beautiful to the extreme – and his writing skills live up to their promise. These are the books I recommend to people most often and I’ve not heard of anyone being disappointed yet. The first two are illustrated novels, the third is a full length novel (with some ink drawings) and a reworking of the Peter Pan legend that, in my opinion, outstrips the original!

Seriously, if you’ve never read these books, rectify that situation as soon as possible! They may be considered children’s books, but I heartily recommend them for readers of all ages – nobody is immune to their magic. I reread this series quite regularly (although I’ll admit to skipping A Horse and His Boy as I just don’t think it fits so well as the others).

3. Room by Emma Donoghue

I was actually given this book for Xmas last year and it is a stunning novel of incredible depth. Having the story told from the point of view of a small boy who has no experience of the outside world is a very clever device that plunges the reader into his situation, completely immersing one in his experiences.

4. The Romans series by Simon Scarrow

If you like historical fiction and find ancient Rome interesting, then this series is the one for you! Following the lives of Macro and Cato as they move up the ranks in the Roman legion and are sent all over the ancient world to restore order and complete missions that would defeat any others, this series is chock full of excitement and are meticulously researched for authenticity.

5. The Logan McRae series by Stuart MacBride

If crime drama is your thing, then this Scot-noir series will get your pulse racing! The author is actually quite local to me and I’ve met him on several occasions, so I can testify to him being so incredibly nice that it’s hard to imagine how such dark stuff comes from his head! He’s another meticulous researcher, so you know that everything you read has been checked out and is true to life – perhaps scarily so! These are especially good if you know Aberdeen at all, because you’ll recognise all the locations, as well as some of the locals!

6. Nation by Terry Pratchett

I was going to offer up the entire Discworld series here (and if you’ve not read them, do so immediately!), but thought I’d flag up this little gem instead. It’s completely different from his other novels, yet still bears his trademark wit and unparalleled storytelling skills. It’s sure to stick in your mind long after you’ve turned the last page.

7. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

If you decide on this one, please do consider getting hold of the version illustrated by Chris Riddell – it’s worth it! This may be a children’s/young adult novel, but it’s a great read for ANY age, and you may find you enjoy reading it to your kids for double the pleasure (I’ve already read parts of it to Xander, who is only three years old, when he’s brought it over to me, and he loves it!).

8. The Princess Bride by William Golding

Have you seen the film? It’s brilliant, isn’t it? The book is even better (although the film is an excellent adaptation) and has all the things you love about the film plus extra! If you loved the fact that Grandpa kept skipping bits, you’ll love that the book actually mentions doing the same and goes into some detail as to why. Don’t worry, it doesn’t hamper the flow – it adds to the experience. Everyone should own a copy of this book, so put it on your Xmas wish list immediately!

9. Ferney by James Long

Let me make this clear – I do NOT read romance novels. I don’t like them. I don’t like mushiness. So when I recommend a novel featuring a romance that spans centuries, you know there’s something unusual about it. Seriously, there’s an awesomeness about the relationship that reignites between Ferney and Gally time and time again and one gets caught up in the conundrum of their past and the futility of their future.

10. The Nikki Heat series by Richard Castle

Do you watch the show? Then you’ll be familiar with the combination of crime fighting / novel writing / and humour that characterises the partnership between Richard Castle and his muse, Detective Kate Beckett (the inspiration for Nikki Heat). You’ll also be aware that Richard Castle is, himself, a fictional character. That doesn’t stop these books from being great reads! If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll get a kick out of the in-jokes. If you’re not, you will still appreciate tight plotting and exciting writing. It’s a win-win situation, really!

So, there you have it, my top ten list of books you should all have on your Xmas wish lists. Go on, grab a pen and start writing to Santa. You never know, you might find one or two of them slipped into your stocking on Xmas morning!

post-3572-0-84132300-1323782604_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-97088200-1323782608_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-70687000-1323782612_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-93130600-1323782618_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-33448000-1323782624_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29187700-1323782629_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-40231900-1323782634_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-55441100-1323782641_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-97463400-1323782647_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-19375700-1323782654_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-95324400-1323782659_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-24314200-1323782664_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-08270200-1323821209_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-90198300-1323821216_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-74522700-1323821225_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-26504300-1323821239_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-24671500-1323821245_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-04556600-1323821252_thumb.jpg

After I mentioned it in my Friday Finds, a forum friend said he’d just finished this book and asked if I would like his copy as he was just going to donate it to a charity shop. I’m about halfway through this one and I’m unsure what I think of it actually. The writing is incredibly elegant, but the prose is a little more heavy-going than I’ve read more recently (I’ve mostly stuck to rather light fare as I don’t have much reading time and can only snatch short moments here and there, which isn’t conducive to more thoughtful material much of the time). It is very good, but I find it’s taking longer to digest than my “fluffy pudding” novels from the young adult section of the library. Sometimes you just need a fine meal instead of a dessert…

I’ve not had much reading time yet due to all the festive pressures, so I’m only about a third of the way into this young adult novel. However, I am enjoying it immensely! I’ve previously read only one novel by this author (Century) and was impressed – this one promises to be just as compelling!

Nothing! I didn’t finish anything at al lthis week, due to the aforementioned festive pressures…

All borrowed from the young adult section of the local library…

• Maureen Johnson – The Name of the Star
  • I spotted this on various blogs and featured in my Friday Finds as I’m a bit of a Ripper nut and couldn’t resist.
  • Lauren Kate – Torment (Fallen 2)
  • I recently read the first one in the series, so I thought I’d see how it continues as it wasn’t a bad start.
  • Laura Powell – The Game of Triumphs
  • I just love the cover and the blurb on the back was so cryptic I decided to take it home with me.
  • Sarah Singleton – Heretic
  • I recently enjoyed Century by this author and thought I’d try this one featuring a girl accused of being the daughter of a Witch. Intriguing stuff - I love historical fiction!

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Character or Plot?

What’s more important to you? Real, three-dimensional, fleshed-out fascinating characters? Or an amazing, page-turning plot?

(Yes, I know, they are both important. But if you had to pick one as being more important than the other?)

It really depends what kind of mood I’m in. If I fancy an in-depth chunker of a book where I really spend a lot of time with it, then I want characters that really come to life, where I know everything about them and really care deeply about them. These are the books that, when I’m finished, I know I’ll read them again at some point in the future, and it will feel like visiting old friends.

Other times, when I don’t have much time to devote to reading, I love a plot that really zips along, grabbing me by the seat of my pants and making my heart race as I’m dragged along for the ride, screaming, “Woooohooooo!” These are the ones I’ll read again when I’m feeling down in the dumps and need an energy boost.

Once in a while, I get a little of both in the same novel and it makes my heart sing!

fridayfinds.jpg

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week? Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

- Hope Collier – The Willows: Haven

- Jael McHenry – The Kitchen Daughter

- Kate Quinn – Mistress of Rome

- Jennifer Lynn Barnes – Every Other Day

- Glen Duncan – The Last Werewolf

- Lauren Oliver – Liesl & Po

- Benjamin Hale – The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-92870200-1324029264_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-64237400-1324029270_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-92885500-1324029274_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-56534200-1324029278_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-52408100-1324029282_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-52441500-1324029287_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-66270400-1324029291_thumb.jpg

MUSING MONDAYS

What’s one book you always recommend to just about anyone?

post-3572-0-91973900-1324322775_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-53613600-1324322781_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29449300-1324322786_thumb.jpg

The Child Thief by Brom

I often wax lyrical about this particular novel (which has exquisite line drawings by the author/artist). It’s a dark re-imagining of the Peter Pan story and is, in my opinion, far better that the original, but definitely not for children. If the cover alone isn’t enough to attract you, then the fact that it’s the book I most consistently rave about should tell you it’s something special!

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Anyone who’s into paranormal fiction but likes their heroines strong and feisty and, well, real, should read the Women of the Otherworld series, starting with this book. Elena Michaels (the world’s only female werewolf) isn’t the type to let her love life get the better of her, even if things go wrong (unlike other, more recent “heroines” of paranormal sagas). No, this is one gutsy woman who can stand on her own two feet, but knows when family are important too.

Room by Emma Donoghue

I received this as a Xmas gift and read it this year. I was, quite simply, blown away by it. It’s rare I come across such a wholly engrossing novel as this – I literally couldn’t put it down and read late into the night till I was so tired I was falling asleep and physically unable to continue – I still fought the exhaustion and tried to continue! It’s so beautifully written – utterly claustrophobic and poignant. Read it and weep – I know I did!

~***~

COVER CRAZY

post-3572-0-12987900-1324322859_thumb.jpg

What I Love:

The chimpanzee looking almost like he’s begging us not to look at him whilst holding out an apple (fobidden fruit?); the painted chimp on the wall behind him seemingly reaching to take the apple from him. This ape seems to exude very human emotions which makes my heart ache and wonder what’s bothering him so much. I alos love the abstract art behind him, which is unusual as I usually hate modern abstract works.

I’ve not read this book, but I found it last week on my blog trekking and popped it into my Friday Finds.

Synopsis:

Bruno Littlemore; linguist, artist, philosopher. A life defined by a soaring mind, yet bound by a restrictive body. Born in down-town Chicago, Bruno’s precocity pulls him from an unremarkable childhood, and under the tuition of Lydia, his intellect dazzles a watching world. But when falls in love with his mentor, the world turns on them with outrage: Bruno is striving to be something he is not, and denying everything that he is. For despite his all too human complexities, dreams and frailties, Bruno’s hairy body, flattened nose and jutting brow are, undeniably, the features of a chimpanzee.

Like its protagonist, this novel is big, abrasive, witty, perverse, earnest and accomplished. The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore goes beyond satire by showing us not what it means, but what it feels like be human – to love and lose, learn, aspire, grasp, and, in the end, to fail.

~***~

IT'S MONDAY, WHAT ARE YOU READING?

post-3572-0-51093700-1324322984_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-96603800-1324322988_thumb.jpg

I’m still reading the same two books due to not having much reading time and being caught up in all things Christmassy…

After I mentioned it in my Friday Finds, a forum friend said he’d just finished this book and asked if I would like his copy as he was just going to donate it to a charity shop. I took him up on his very kind offer and will be reading it next… I’m enjoying it, but it’s not an easy read, so I only pick it up when I have some undisturbed reading time and I can concentrate on it.

I saw this one in the young adult section of the library and fell in love with the cover – I can’t resist the combination of black, white and red with a touch of silver.

I’m about half way through and it’s a great read. I just haven’t had a chance to finish it as I’ve been so busy with festive stuff!

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

4thenameofthestaruk2.jpg

My teaser:

It went on and on, until Claire realized that the head was barely attached at all, and that the puddle she was kneeling in was almost certainly not rainwater.

The eyes saw it all.

- page 3, The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Synopsis:

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it’s the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn’t notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

I’m about to start this one (tonight, in fact) so I can’t comment on it yet as I haven’t read any of it. I thought I’d give a teaser from the very beginning of the book so I didn’t spoil anything for myself…

~***~

TOP TEN TUESDAY

Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings

My Xmas wish list ALWAYS features a ton of books – way more than just ten – so here are ten at random from my list:

1. Simon Scarrow – Praetorian (Romans 11)
  2. Kelley Armstrong – The Gathering (Darkness Rising 1)
  3. Susan Hill – Howard’s End Is On The Landing
  4. Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King’s Mother
  5. Amanda Grange – Henry Tilney’s Diary
  6. Jackson Pierce – Sisters Red
  7. Marissa Meyer – Cinder
  8. Kendare Blake – Anna Dressed In Blood
  9. Jane Austen and Vera Nazaria – Mansfield Park and Mummies
  10. Jonathon Pinnock – Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens

post-3572-0-50540500-1324385837_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-08216300-1324385842_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-18090300-1324385850_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-39266300-1324385854_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-96199900-1324385858_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-65629400-1324385863_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29709700-1324385867_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-26344300-1324385871_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-98164500-1324385874_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-49529900-1324385879_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-00783100-1324461172_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-00889000-1324461186_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-84618100-1324461197_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-46110100-1324461211_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-75158200-1324461216_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-01176200-1324461222_thumb.jpg

Still no further with this one. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying it a lot, I just haven’t had the time to devote to sitting down and reading it and books like this tend to make me think, so I like to have the time to think about and absorb them. I’ll probably get back to it after Xmas is out of the way…

Maureen Johnson – The Name of the Star

This one is a zippy-fast read and I’m loving it! I’m a bit of a Ripper-ologist (not an expert, but I know an awful lot about the Ripper case and have read many books on th subject as I find it so fascinating). This one promises to be a rip(per)-roaring read (sorry, I couldn’t resist a very poor pun there) and I’ll definitely be finished this one before Xmas as it lends itself well to short bursts of reading, which is exactly what I need in such a busy period!

Sarah Singleton – The Poison Garden star3.pngstar3.pngstar3.png

I enjoyed this one, but not as much as I thought it would. It got a little garbled in the middle with all the garden stuff, but straightened itself out again pretty quickly. Singleton has a wonderful way with words and the situations she describes almost leap off the page, so I’ll definitely be reading more of her work.

I know I’ll get at least one or two books for Xmas, but I also have these from the library and they have to go back by 4th January:

• Lauren Kate – Torment (Fallen 2)
    I recently read the first one in the series, so I thought I’d see how it continues as it wasn’t a bad start.
  • Laura Powell – The Game of Triumphs
    I just love the cover and the blurb on the back was so cryptic I decided to take it home with me.
  • Sarah Singleton – Heretic
    I recently enjoyed Century and The Poison Garden by this author and thought I’d try this one featuring a girl accused of being the daughter of a Witch. Intriguing stuff - I love historical fiction!

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Gifts

Any books you’re hoping to get for the holidays this year?

How about giving? Are you giving any good ones?

My Xmas wish list is ALWAYS chock-full of books! The ones that made it onto my list this year are:

• Simon Scarrow – Praetorian (Romans 11)
  • Kelley Armstrong – The Gathering (Darkness Rising 1)
  • Kelley Armstrong – The Calling (Darkness Rising 2)
  • Truman Capote – Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Bill Amberg Collection version)*
  • F Scott Fitzgerald – The Great Gatsby (Bill Amberg Collection version)*
  • Oscar Wilde – The Picture of Dorian Gray (Bill Amberg Collection version)*
  • Susan Hill – Howard’s End Is On The Landing
  • Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King’s Mother
  • Amanda Grange – Henry Tilney’s Diary
  • Amanda Grange – Mr Darcy’s Diary
  • Amanda Grange – Wickham’s Diary
  • Amanda Grange – Mr Knightly’s Diary
  • Amanda Grange – Edmund Bertram’s Diary
  • Amanda Grange – Captain Wentworth’s Diary
  • Jackson Pierce – Sisters Red
  • Marissa Meyer – Cinder
  • Kendare Blake – Anna Dressed In Blood
  • Michelle Hodkin – The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
  • R J Anderson – Ultraviolet
  • Maggie Stiefvater – Shiver
  • Caragh M O’Brien – Birthmarked
  • Jane Austen and Vera Nazaria – Mansfield Park and Mummies
  • Jane Austen and Adam Rann – Emma and the Wolves

* These are to complete my collection – I have the other books from this series of classics. icon_smile.gif?m=1317672842g

I’ve also asked for a Kindle. *fingers crossed*

I’m also giving loads of books as gifts – I always do! However, I’m not revealing any of them here in case the recipients see and it spoils the surprise!