Bunce's books 2011

Bunce

2010:

Read, author.

To-read, author.

The Color Purple, Alice Walker.

The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, Jeanette Winterson.

Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennesse Williams.

Betrayal, Harold Pinter.

Top Girls, Caryl Churchill.

Child In Time, Ian McEwan.

On Chesil Beach, Ian McEwan.

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë.

Moab is my Washpot, Stephen Fry.

Edited by Bunce

2011:

Read, author.

To-read, author.

1984, George Orwell.

Amsterdam, Ian McEwan.

Atonement, Ian McEwan.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Benjamin Franklin.

Fugitive Pieces, Anne Michaels.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson.

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens.

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift.

Middlemarch, George Eliot.

Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen.

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen.

Silas Marner, George Eliot.

Small Island, Andrea Levy.

Tess of the d'Ubervilles, Thomas Hardy.

Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackeray.

We Need To Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver.

The Wrecker, Clive Cussler.

Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë.

Edited by Bunce

Moab is my Washpot, Stephen Fry.

9780099457046.jpg

I've had this particular book in my collection, and to-be-read pile for quite some time now. Every time I go near the bookshelf, it's been calling out to me to be read. Thankfully, with school out for the year, it's allowed me to endure this thrilling autobiography of Stephen Fry's distinctive first twenty years.

Had I not looked up some reviews before buying, and again before reading the autobiography, I would have never expected it to be like it is. The writing, yes, of course it was going to be articulated coherently make a thoroughly entertaining recount of his first twenty years. Humorous, in fact. But the actions of his childhood and adolescence, and the consequences he faced as a result of such bad behaviour I would have never, ever expected.

It was an enthralling, extraordinary autobiography that has left me wanting more - which is evidence in its self of the quality of Moab is my Washpot. The Fry Chronicles, for me, is now a definite must-read in 2011. If you're a Fry fan, you'd love this book. If you're not a Fry fan, well, you'll probably still love this book.

Edited by Bunce

Hi Bunce! I bought The Fry Chronicles recently and I desperately want to read it, but do you think I should read Moab is My Washpot first?

Hi, Kylie. You can call me Greg, if you like. If I was in your situation, I'd recommend to read Moab is My Washpot first, with it being the prequel to The Fry Chronicles. I've come to notice you're a fast-paced reader, so you'll get through the text in next-to-no-time, no doubt. Plus, it's fantastic. If you get round to reading The Fry Chronicles before I do, you'll have to share your thoughts with me. Where did you buy The Fry Chronicles, may I ask?

I must say Greg my friend, your 2011 reading list is looking fantastic; some great choices on there that I'd recommend to anyone. I enjoyed Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby when we had to study it for AS English Literature last year, and I'll be re-reading it soon enough for my January re-sit. Of course 1984 is wonderful, and a must-read for anyone. I also see you have the first book in the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I read all three of them this year and although they're quite a lot to get into because they haven't been edited, I still feel the trilogy is well worth a read. It's also sad that because of his death before publication, he never got to see the world-wide phenomenon they become.

Now as for The Picture of Dorian Gray, you know my thoughts on what is probably my favourite novel of all time..

I must say Greg my friend, your 2011 reading list is looking fantastic; some great choices on there that I'd recommend to anyone. I enjoyed Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby when we had to study it for AS English Literature last year, and I'll be re-reading it soon enough for my January re-sit. Of course 1984 is wonderful, and a must-read for anyone. I also see you have the first book in the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I read all three of them this year and although they're quite a lot to get into because they haven't been edited, I still feel the trilogy is well worth a read. It's also sad that because of his death before publication, he never got to see the world-wide phenomenon they become.

Now as for The Picture of Dorian Gray, you know my thoughts on what is probably my favourite novel of all time..

It's coming on now, isn't it? Yesterday I added the books that are sat on my shelf that I have since forgotten about: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels, Small Island by Andrea Levy, We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, The Wrecker by Clive Cussler and Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

1984 is a book I've previously began and became intrigued by immediately. Unfortunately, the time I'd started it (I was in the library with no work on me so I picked it up, sat and read it for half an hour or so...) I was already on a couple of books and didn't want to restrict my enjoyment of the other books by also reading it. After The Picture of Dorian Gray, that'll probably be the next book on my agenda. That is providing The Fry Chronicles doesn't keep telling me to pick it up and read it in the meantime!

1984 is a book I've previously began and became intrigued by immediately. Unfortunately, the time I'd started it (I was in the library with no work on me so I picked it up, sat and read it for half an hour or so...) I was already on a couple of books and didn't want to restrict my enjoyment of the other books by also reading it. After The Picture of Dorian Gray, that'll probably be the next book on my agenda. That is providing The Fry Chronicles doesn't keep telling me to pick it up and read it in the meantime!

I loved 1984 immensely, and I do believe that I'm getting a rather nice copy for Christmas that caught my eye when I was in Waterstones a couple of months ago. It initially caught my attention when we went to see the play - I can't remember where it was - with my English class earlier this year. There was a cast of about five people, and it was in a little underground stage set-up; but it was performed wonderfully. They had a great use of technology with screens up on the walls and everything; I was very impressed. I'm sure you will love it when you get around to reading it; though don't rush The Picture of Dorian Gray; every last word of that novel should be treasured.

Edited by Ben

• 3 weeks later...

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde.

dorian-gray.jpg?w=200

It's been a while since I started this book, got enthralled from the off, but then sadly had to have a few days away from the book in order to catch up with some coursework and such. However, having picked it up again a few days ago, I have now finished this masterpiece, and I dare call it that, by Oscar Wilde. The writing was excellent, as was to be expected from the brilliant Oscar Wilde. If Stephen Fry admires the man, you know he was nothing short of a legend. I'm ever so glad I read this book - and mainly thanks to Ben's glowing review of the book - I bypassed other books in my to-be-read pile in order to read it. It's a classic, for sure, and definitely worth a read. A great, innovative storyline that is near-on perfectly written. It was a pleasure to read.

• 4 months later...

I must admit, I'd forgotten I'd create a to-read this for this year, so that list has only just come back in through the window, having been chucked out previously as I was unaware I'd made a list. That being said, I have refrained from reading that much this year, so as to not get engulfed within books, and to alternatively focus solely on revision. I can't even think of that books I've read recently, if I'm honest.

I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell. So far, so good, and it's safe to say it's living up to its reputation as a must-read. I'll give further insight when I've finished the book.